General Mills Employee Reviews

Found 1,163 reviews matching the search See all 1,658 reviews
Flex hours / telecommute
Administrative Assistant/Client Services (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMarch 22, 2019
Best part of working at General Mills were my co-workers and job flexibility to telecommute. Living in MN you're always up against horrible traffic if you have a long commute, especially during the winters months. Appreciated the opportunity to work from home on those days.
great company with lots of opportunity
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 22, 2019
I had the opportunity to work on cutting edge technology and on projects all around the world. Advancement is tough in middle management as many people have been there 20-30 years.
Fun environment
Associate Human Resources Manager Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 20, 2019
General Mills is an upbeat place that focused on improving how they work and investing in their people. There is a strong connection to the brands, which provides connection for employees.
Great starting point
Customer Replenishment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 19, 2019
I started my career with GMI. It gave me a lot of background in the CPG world and gave me foothold on everything from sales to logistics to demand planning. Eventually most careers peak due to the competivness at the company, but it's a great starting point.
decent place to work
Line utility (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMarch 18, 2019
Some tasks are simple and/or easy. Some are difficult such as having to lift 50 pounds repetitively. Just as in any other job, there are co-workers who are difficult to deal with.
Pros
very good insurance
Cons
lots of weekend work
Fun place to work
Field Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 13, 2019
I enjoyed working for General Mills. I wish the training was a little better, I felt like they just threw me into the position and decided to see if I would sink or swim.
Overall great to place to work with some long term worrying pitfalls
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2019
Great place to start a career to meet some very great people and make life long professional connections that will be sure to jump start a career.

Management is very hit or miss at General Mills, some managers are very hands on and proactive and looking for new and exciting ways to achieve numbers (numbers which due to poor management at the top executive level are usually not realistic to achieve. Other managers however are content with their position and are just working towards their pension, will not take personally responsibility and will always pass the buck onto team members. Even personally calling people out in unprofessional ways during team meetings.

Innovation is a massive long term problem that General Mills faces, very poor new item initiatives which often are prioritized to shelf even at the expense of longer term much higher turning items.

Company makes no efforts to keep young talent, professional assessments are done at a team level to ensure that top performers are not overly compensated, poor to no commission structure and absolutely no good benefits that would entice anyone to stay for more than 3-5 years (pension, stock options). With how raises are structured makes much more sense for employees to get their Gen Mills experience and make 10k-15k more with a career move than getting standard 2% salary bump
Pros
Great people; amazing sales training; top notch facilities; extremely competitive benefits package
Cons
poor innovation, inconsistent managers, horrible new item innovation
Amazing place to work
Internal Staffing and Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNMarch 12, 2019
Great management, opportunities and culture. The interview is a long process, and challenging. The people are great, and very welcoming. The 'dress for your day' policy is nice too.
Don't walk, run away! Feels like prison, only you can escape!
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 10, 2019
Not women friendly, especially on the production floor. Very physical, loud, hot, wet and sometimes cold. They will dangle the proverbial carrot in front of you for years just to get a raise. Management requires a manifesto of your performance to prove your worthy of more money. An anonymous group, that doesn't know your real work performance decides whether you are worthy or not. If you don't get a raise, they deliver an anonymous letter with the sometimes bogus reason why you didn't get it. There were some good people there but a lot of backstabbing and 8th grade politics abound. The temps were treated poorly. Read some of the other reviews. Many of these reviews across different plants sounds hauntingly similar. Buyer beware! I think I'd rather work in a sewer plant!
Pros
Free processed food, for on the go!
Cons
Labor intensive and a maniacle nightmare, cult like culture.
Great place to work for
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJMarch 9, 2019
Would have retired there if plant hadnt closed. I'm sure any otherbplabts they have are equally as great to work for. General Mills invests in their people which make them bettwr than most other companies
Pros
Great team, great place to work
C0- Workers were great
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 8, 2019
No way to be thanked there, just a pay check for a temp worker. Minimal breaks. Took almost all the break time to get to break room. Pay was minimal work was heavy and fast pace.
Fun workplace
Packing and Shipping (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 4, 2019
Good work experience. Team player good communication skills hard worker. A good listener a fast learner. They are friendly good people there sometimes they can show favoritism to other employees
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks
productive and fun place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2019
A typical day at work would be making quality products safely and efficiently through what I learned throughout my 19 years of experience . Management was useful tool that was used to communicate up and down the chain. Hardest part of the job would be learning new machines , but at the same time it gave me a sense of pride and accomplishment at the end of the day.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
forced overtime
good
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 3, 2019
good company to work. like the people. bush and fast-paced, collaborative. they give a lot of vacation and have good supervisors. nice working environment.
easy place to work at
Packer (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 2, 2019
when you first begin working there it can be a challenge, but once you are trained on what you suppose to be doing, you would get the hang of it after a while
Great Place To Work
Team Leader II/Supervisor 2nd Shift (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 28, 2019
A little to fixated on nepotism. Should focus more on the managers who are top performers versus those who have a degree and feel as though the company owes them. Was a great place to work but probably overpampered the employees too much and that holds true as I recently found out that they voted to unionize.
Enjoyable work environment with a concentration on safety and quality
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wellston, OHFebruary 28, 2019
Great compensation and benefits. Great people. Fat paved work environment but very aware of safety risks with a culture of producing quality products.
Environmental Importance
ENVIRONMENTAL/ENERGY ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 25, 2019
The hardest part of the position was keeping it. In lean times General Mills would remove the environmental engineer thinking they were replaceable. It takes years develop the necessary connection with employees and regulatory personal.
This particular plant had five environmental engineers in ten years. showing how they felt environmental was not the most important department nor the knowledge help ensure the plant had a good understanding of the environmental permits.
Pros
Free Cheerios
Cons
Lack of understanding importance of environmental permits
This job is at the end of the day amazing.
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Covington, GAFebruary 24, 2019
I am currently still in the “new hire phase” having been at the Covington plant for less than a year, but I can say a few things. First off it is extremely hard to get a job in the plant for good reason. It’s a dangerous, physically, and mentally demanding job. You MUST be a self starter to work here and be prepared to dive in. I love my job, but like any job there are flaws. Management wanting some impossible things done, systems failing, coworkers get irritated sometimes, systems are a little outdated, but at the end of the day we all come to work to do a job. We are family when we walk through the doors everyday and you can feel the tight bond throughout this plant. The biggest complaint I have is our rotating schedule. This is a 3-2-2 schedule meaning starting Monday it’s 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off 2 on 2 off and every 8 weeks you shift from days to nights limiting your work life balance with your family, and can really take a toll on the body. If this job offered straight day shift it genuinely would be the most amazing job I could think of because I absolutely love working here and I know without a doubt I will strive to retire from this company.
Pros
Amazing environment easy job for technical and mechanical mindsets.
Cons
8 week shifting schedule
Great People and Great Place to Work
Platform Leader of the Bugles (Former Employee) –  West Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2019
I learned a lot about food manufacturing and process improvements. The people that I worked with were great and there were some fantastic individuals that I worked with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Mills. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at General Mills.

Powered by Comparably