General Mills Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 931 reviews matching the search See all 1,357 reviews
Well led, ethical company
Grain Elevator Manager (Former Employee) –  MultipleMay 19, 2018
Well led company that provides clear direction and includes team in goal setting etc.

Provides career advancement through an IDP process.
Excellent benefits
Same thing every day
Inventory Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAMay 18, 2018
Come in, get a assignment, work, go home.
Management is so so ran by DHL, play favorites. You can be their 10 years and if they don't like you, they make it harder for you. No chance in moving up either.
Pros
can transfer anywhere in the world, good benefits
Cons
don't expect more pay. Also sucks that you can't transfer with your pay.
It's a fair place to work
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 17, 2018
The whole experience was fun and I enjoyed the work place the people and the envirment..it was great.The only part with the downfall was lack of work then came the layoffs.
Pros
nice break rooms
Cons
good pay
Great. Company to work for
Manufacturing/Production Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 16, 2018
Could not have asked to work for a better company until business dwindled and plant closure. Good work culture, people to time to help others when in need.
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
Union could be tough to work with but they did have their EE's best interest at heart
great pay but management sucks
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Perris, CAMay 14, 2018
This is a great job as far as pay goes but everything in the building is old. The system is outdated, the forklifts are raggedy and all the management have NEVER WORKED IN THE WAREHOUSE BEFORE. they have a bunch of airheads with degrees running the building and don't have a clue what they are doing. Everything there is just slow. Your doing multiple jobs at once. For example, I was hired as a forklift operator but they had me picking, staging, replenishing, put away, inventory, cleaning and so much more. They need better management and a better system.
Fast-paced, yet relaxed environment with plenty to do
Temporary Production Utility (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 13, 2018
There are plenty of job/roles within General Mills, some of which include documentation, weigher, table, case loader and so on. There are typically 3 rotations throughout the shift, so nobody is ever in the same place twice. Even in cases where we have "down time", which simply means we aren't currently running product, there is still plenty to do, whether it's sweeping the floors, throwing away scrap that has been sitting out too long and/or general tidying and maintenance in the meantime. The job itself wasn't bad at all, but many of the temporary employees, myself included, felt it unfair to be making only $10/hr. whereas full-time employees were making around $15-$16/hr. For folks like myself, $10/hr. and being the only income is/are not livable wages. Perhaps if a 2nd income were a factor, then any one person would have been able to afford a living, hence why many thought it unfair. The work was never too difficult, but it did keep me on my toes and even caused some stress from time to time. Overall, working at General Mills was a different and unique experience and had its ups and downs, as all jobs do.
Pros
In-facility marketplace, relaxing environment/atmosphere, friendly people
Cons
Wage differences, improper training
Broke OSHA rules and regulations
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNMay 11, 2018
Violated OSHA's rules and regulations. They do not provide steel toe boots as is required by OSHA...Good company otherwise. But they make you pay up for your own boots which is a violation of OSHA's rules and regulations.
Production Scheduler/Planner (Former Employee) –  Vinita, OKMay 10, 2018
They were a great place to work. They promoted within. We would work a lot of hours when I was in production. Loved working with the people and had a great management team.
Pros
People
Cons
Great work place and feed the shift food twice a month
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, TXMay 8, 2018
I've worked with some great people over the last two years never had any issues with management always was treated with respect and i think its a great place to apply and work for.
Pros
Food twice a month
Cons
Short breaks
competitive work environment
Field Sales Analyst - NRO (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARMay 6, 2018
hours can be flexible
compete and win as a team with the customer
also compete against co-workers for promotions on a set timeline
well-defined office culture
not accepting of change influencers
Pros
flexibility, pay, supportive co-workers
Cons
highly competitive work structure, expects employees to fit a mold

Want to know more about General Mills?

Ask a question
Great lace to work
Laboer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 5, 2018
It was a fun working environment. Hours were decent and got overtime whenever you wanted it. The people we're easy and very helpful. You could prtty much work as many hours as you wanted and pick the days out you wanted to work . You got great time off for holidays.if you showed them you are hard working and reliable you were guaranteed a job.
Pros
1/2 hr paid break
Cons
Hours ran out fast
No Fun
Raw Material Ingredient Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 3, 2018
It was related to food production, all the time keep thinking and be alert . If anything goes wrong notified it to management. Management was very cooperative to resolved the issue.
Pros
Free Lunches
Quick paced
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 3, 2018
Great place of employment great work environment very team orientated everyone helped you it and did there part was great with working around my schedule and understandable about my time I needed off with the military
Pros
3 payed breaks
Cons
Nine
Good company but..
Machine Op/Distribution Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILMay 1, 2018
General Mills was a great company the 4 years I was there. Things started to go downhill once they sold the green giant brand. They started to try to get rid of people to prevent a lay off and changed the majority of schedule to 12 hours rotating which brought the morale down. However my experience was mostly positive.
Pros
3 weeks vacation, good culture, great company workers
Cons
Low pay for manufacturing.
Relaxed work culture and opportunities for advancement
Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 30, 2018
The work culture is relaxed but professional, and there is a growing sense of community within the laboratory space. There is also plenty of opportunity for skill advancement if you are willing to put in the work.
great place to work for
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNApril 27, 2018
i loved working at general mills. i love the fast paced environment. i worked at the end of my line as a machine operator. the hardest part is cleaning the lines you may have to come in early morning or late night just clean them and most times its hard work
Pros
room for growth
Cons
cleaning the machines lol
Fair company to work for
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAApril 27, 2018
The job was a temp job so not many benefits were offer.The company itself was great to work for .The team and management were also were pleasant to work for I had no problems at all.
Fun work place.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 24, 2018
General Mills is a diverse company. Willing to give anyone a chance at advancement. I do not wish to leave the company . But, I need a change. Divorce. GMI is a Great Company!!!
Pros
Sales Associates, Management
Cons
For me Travel
Great pay as a first job
Weekend Warrior (Current Employee) –  Belvidere, ILApril 24, 2018
This job really worked out for me. They were really flexible with my outside schedule, college --- for example. You're allowed to come in at a later time if you have another job. Most people are expected to work the full 12 hours. I work the full 12 hours because I like seeing the rotation happen, I enjoy seeing the people (who're going to relieve us) come in.

I think the most enjoyable part of the job is all the different kinds of people you'll meet here. There's different ages, cultures, and personalities. You get 3 breaks which are nice. I don't remember which ones are paid.

I think this job helps me learn time management, especially with sleep schedules and school.

I think the hardest part of the job is seeing people go. Being a weekend warrior, I only come in on weekends. Sometimes I'll see a new face but other times that face will disappear in a month or so and you'll have a whole new crew to work with. It's kind of sad.
Pros
Pay is decent ($11.50/hr), Free food, 3 breaks, you don't have to work all week
Cons
People leave, sleep deprivation
Terrible place
Temp Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILApril 23, 2018
The food waste was unbelievable, and the working conditions were inhumane. I was worked like a dog and treated even worse. I will never ever ever go back.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Mills. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

73%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

73%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss