General Mills

General Mills Employee Reviews

United States1,766 reviews

Found 1,766 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,451 reviews
cerealplantgmiproductionovertimeshiftproductpillsbury

Easy work but fast paced

The work was easy and the people and the supervisors there are cool but overall it sucks. The pay is low, there was many people who started but left that same day or within that week. No appreciation for the workers. I’ve worked at other company’s where they grill to serve us during lunch to show appreciation. That’s happened within the week I’ve started at those company’s. There are employees who have worked there for 8+ years and they are not hired on. I was told they only hire forklift drivers through the company. Also there are no benefits. There’s no orientation,You get there and they throw you in and start making you work. You are required to wear safety helmets, glasses, and gloves which isn’t a problem expect forThe fact they only provide you with the glasses and gloves. I’ve had to wear another persons safety helmet which is disgusting. Still haven’t been provided with one by the way. No morning stretches or meeting in the mornings. All in all the work is not that heavy, it is fast paced but if you are looking for something where you won’t feel drained I suggest looking else where. I could go slit more into it but you get the idea.

A truly terrible place to work

Do you like working for 16 hours ? how about randomly being told to stay for 4 more or come 4 early ? do you like working every single day of the week and month ? no days off ? if so work here. if not don’t even think about it. they don’t care about your life. it’s either work or get fired.

General Mills insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Divertido siempre responsable de mis deberes

Mi experiencia en trabajar allí fue agradable y cada cual ejerce su trabajo en conjunto con los demás

Underpaid

Work constantly with possibility of being drafted over, does not have the greatest home/work life balance. Pay is Okay but some days you feel like your underpaid.

Good Company, Decent Management, Job not for everyone

If you can handle showing up and sitting for hours on end, and aren't the type of person to accidentally get your hand caught in a very large machine, you'll be fine

Enjoyed my 16 years with the company

Although my plant closed a few years back, I enjoyed my 16+ years working first at Pillsbury and then General Mills in IL.I would still be working there and enjoying the daily grind if it was still open.

Pros

My coworkers, and set schedules

Cons

none major enough to mention

Employees were fun and the job is easy n enjoyable

I enjoyed the fact that I worked alone and was allowed to find my own fit in doing this job. Employees were a joy to work with. Management was open n easy to talk with.

Pros

One bus line, flexible schedule

Cons

Short breaks, very hot when working

Terrible HR Culture-Poor Management, outdated processes

I worked at General Mills within the HR function for less than a year. While the pay is great, it seems liked the salary was to compensate for the poor HR company culture. It's a very clicky environment that is not truly inclusive of diversity, and was masked with the outdated language such as "culture fits". This was particularly prevalent during the interview process, as they frequently mentioned prioritizing candidates who were "a good culture fit," in addition to utilizing outdated processes such as personality assessments. There is a lack of transparency regarding performance assessments. Upon hire, I had asked how I can measure success, and was not given any formal identifying key factors for what that might be, and how I would subsequently be assessed in terms of performance. I would caution anyone interested in working there; very biased processes, and even worse leadership.

Pros

Great Compensation

Cons

Terrible Management; Poor HR Company

Employees are treated very well here. Team work environment. Leads know their stuff. Very safety conscious. Pay is good. Only con is 12 days on 2 days off. Other than that tools, boots and safety eyewear are company provided. I would have stayed but i needed to move closer to family. Great company to work for.

Great pay and benefits that come with a heavy price

Overall, it is not a bad place to work. The pay is pretty decent and benefits are cheap due to the plant being unionized. All inclusive benefits are $33/week for medical, vision, and dental. You get 12 paid holidays (you'll probably have to work 4 of them)The downfall is you have to work a full year before receiving any vacation time (NO PTO system) and on one side of the plant you work 7 days a week with no days off. The company is so proud to say they put employees and people FIRST, but that's only for PR. When our union contract renewed they only gave us a 3% raise, and we fought to get there. We did not even see a $1 raise for any positions. They gave us sick time, but took away half the points system for attendance, and then manipulate the system to their liking.Management is the most disorganized I have EVER seen in a Fortune 500 company. I really don't know how the plant profits. Management plays the favoritism and political correctness games. If you are a minority you are protected from discipline. You are untouchable. No matter if there are 10 people against you for your wrongdoing, you will win. Their investigation practices are done by a biased woke corporate employee, not investigated at a local level. (Local HR plays on their phone for the 3 days they actually make it into work) For any wrongdoing, you paint a target on your back, and management constantly watches you waiting for your next time to slip up. Their discipline system is all inclusive, a verbal, then warning, then suspension, then termination. Whether you have job performance issues or altercations -

Pros

Pay, Benefits

Cons

Favoritism, Terrible Management, Disorganization, Poor work life balance

It was a good work environment even though we had rotating shifts and not the easiest access to get to the plant. Then they hired out the production and closed.

Great people to work with

Great people bad management lots of free dinners and free shirts all kinda stuff great pay and benefits you will start out with 3 weeks of vacation. Not much more I can say except the management thinks they own you and will try a get you fired at every turn a make up lies about you to other workers

Pros

Lots of free stuff

Cons

7 days a week

JFB is a nice R&D facility to work in.

Fair pay structure, since it’s pretty easy going and indoors it’s not leading edge, but competitive at around 75-80% of higher market.Not union, if it was it would be far better pay and benefits.Pretty good management structure. Lots of woke folks and inclusiveness, but not obnoxious.Uniforms and footwear, prescription safety glasses renew yearly at no charge.Lots of volunteering available in the community, and work hours can include it.Company match charitable contributions on a yearly basis.

Clamp forklift operator

Pay is great coworkers are great and helpful BUT shipping taskers/leads have Favoritism... Hard to get your production at least 80% .all they ask they say they will work with you but they don't

Productive and fun

Hard work is always rewarded. I like to do over time an work as much as you want. As long as your willing to listen you will be fine at any position here

Pros

Hours

Cons

Short breaks

assembling goods on production lines, and monitoring the process

weighing dry ingredients to put into mixers, package food products on production Line, and perform every job rotation that is given to you that day. overall not too hard, requires heavy lifting.r

Pros

pay, benefits

Cons

no time off

Great people! Lots of growth opportunities. General Mills seems to care about their employees more than other Companies. Great benefits and vacation.

Don't have any complaints

I like working at general mills.mosted laid back place I've worked. The paid is descent and the benefits. Friendly co workers as well.

Great money and benefits, poor work/life balance

In orientation they tell you that overtime is voluntary but there is mandatory overtime if no one volunteers, and not many do because there are 12 hour shifts and most people are exhausted after their usual week. The work isn’t hard most of the time, but the hours are. Some departments do a 2-2-3 schedule, others do a 6 hour day and three 12 hour days. Staffing is usually short, a lot of people from Chrysler come and go. They do give a good amount of vacation and have shutdowns for holidays, the benefits are good, they give a voucher for steel toe boots and prescription safety glasses, and the pay is good.

Overall a great place to work

Overall one of the best places I’ve worked. The other employees and managers were friendly and easy to work with. The work environment was very clean and well maintained. I did only mechanical maintenance due to the fact that it was separated between electrical and mechanical. Many places expect maintenance to do both for the same pay while here you actually get a chance to focus on mechanical or electrical. To transition or move up in the levels was straight forward.

Love

Great people to work with and great company to work for!!! Love my hours and learning about new things. Cheap cases of cereal throughout the year………….

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Mills. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

73%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss