General Motors
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

General Motors Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Being on time and Attendance was very important. the line started at the top of the hour beginning each shift rather your at your station or not. I learned to use a bunch of different power tools, read manifest and 6 months after working there I was put into the "pool" where I was responsible for Relieving workers and replace anyone that would miss days. Management was very distant but handled a comfortable workplace. Co-workers was very welcoming. Hardest thing about the job was Keeping up with the line until you get the hang of things. I loved the wages and scheduling.
If I had to do over again I would. The people I met and worked with enriched my life and many are still lifelong friends. Change isn't always bad. After I left I started a different career path that gave me more time with my family.
Pros
I looked forward to going to work.
Cons
Sometimes the work was very stressful due to deadlines.
A good manager will earn the respect of the employees he/ she is managing. You have to be able to solve problems and sometimes counsel troubled employees. I have helped many employees through my employment with general motors. The culture today is not what it was. It has changed as to political correctness which I am against. However, I can explain the situation and people can see my point of view. I do not try to change a person but to respect other people's point of view. What most managers forget is people come from different cultures and environments which i believe has an effect on the divide this country is in.. Managers must realize behavior is life experiences.When you have employees that go out of their way then you know you are doing the right thing as a manager. I give chances then warnings before i discipline. The big problem is your manager that you report to. In unions they want you to be hard and discipline without any chances to the employee. Employees have bad days just like everyone else. I have seen good employees become bad employees because of upper management. They want grievances to settle write ups against management. The employees is affected by this kind of management which will effect output and the manager has no respect with the employees.
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Healthcare
Was responsible for overseeing the operations of 14 different Chevrolet Dealerships in this area. Worked with customers and dealership personnel to increase customer satisfaction and sales. Was laid off in May of 1980 when the industry took a dive. When asked to return less than 5 months later, I choose to stay with the new job I had taken. At that time the money was the determination.
Pros
Great environment to work in. Good team participation and support.
Cons
Pay was limited at the time.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.