General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 4,313 reviews matching the search See all 7,665 reviews
Employment was great in the '70's,
Director, Placement & College Relations, GMI (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI, Flint, MISeptember 21, 2019
My employment ended in the mid '80s, over 20 years ago. Please take me off the list. Those were the good old days before GM fell behind. I now drive a Buick that was built in China. Change is hard, and GM lost ground.
Interest
Production Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOSeptember 21, 2019
First off I've been a temp worker for more than 4 years and my pros and cons are as follow

*health benefits
*only 3 non paid vacation days
*no sick days
*cost of living in area high
*ability to work overtime if you choose
*we work six days a week
*horrible on the body
*pay is cool
Awful place
SPM Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, INSeptember 20, 2019
They dont know how to care for their employees.
They hate all over the Union and treat temp employess like junk.
Corporate GM is garbage and seeks to ruin the lives of its employees
Working conditions are awful
Good place to work, schedule always changing
Tech Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 19, 2019
Good place to work, solid pay and benefits, great vacation, if you work supporting production you could be rotating and the schedule seems to always change!
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Vacation
Cons
Constantly changing schedule
Good place to work once you're hired permanently.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 19, 2019
Its a nice place to work with excellent benefits. They are a family oriented company. They try to schedule you according to your request. Its a friendly environment, which makes working there easy.
Factory Worker (Current Employee) –  Defiance, OHSeptember 19, 2019
Great place to work. Long hours mandatory occasional Saturdays. Healthcare is alright but changes from time to time on your benefits. Hard to get vacation time off
Nepotism rampant
Assistant Program Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 19, 2019
Poor management, wrong metrics being used to measure performance. No plan to fix long term problems. No standardized work. Flying blind. Higher leadership in place due to who their parents were in company before.
Demanding yet rewarding
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOSeptember 19, 2019
Very repetitive work for team members. Team leader us more versatile. I had to be proficient in 23 different jobs on my line. Was also responsible for doing repair work, as well as keeping my teams area clean, stocked and efficiently running during my shift.
Pros
Salary, union contract.
Cons
Hours, union representation.
Run
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 19, 2019
If your hire in as a temp don't get your hopes up. I was a temp for four years then let go the last day we worked before Christmas. Always being told that I was going to lose my job, so I was constantly on edge. The UAW did nothing for me yet I still had to pay dues.
It sucks
Part Picker (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILSeptember 17, 2019
Management at the General Motors location in Bolingbrook is completely the worst, that was the reason I left was because there’s a lot of favoritism and others being treated poorly then other workers.
Pros
Pay it’s ok
Cons
The only person that you can trust is your committeeman and not so much As them either.
Exhausting place to work on low salary
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Flint MichiganSeptember 17, 2019
I have worked for GM these past 10 years and salary does not keep pace with the cost of living despite a significant boost to productivity in our area of manufacturing. It's just not fair. I will leave in October 2019.
Fun place to work at, wish it were more stable
Safety CAE Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 17, 2019
GM is a big organisation with a diverse portfolio and many projects. It has a great work culture and I enjoyed my time there. Everything was spot-on except for one thing. Instability. There is a great level of instability in your career especially for contract employees who toil really hard and get the job done. Had there been better job security, people would love to work at GM.
Watch out for the plant managers. More of a Manager vs. Leader
Logistics operations manager (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 16, 2019
Attention to orders. Once hire with GM be on guard with the plant managers. GM managers are focused on numbers (metrics) vs. team building. My 20 years of military service it was focused on TEAM Building vs. chasing numbers at all cost.

Focus on your people, have trust in your team and the team will take care of the business and exceed those numbers vs. focusing only on numbers the TEAM most likely will NOT make their goals.

Hey GM plant managers, words of advice focus on TEAM vs. NUMBERS
Pros
30 minute lunches
Cons
Micromanagement from the Plant Manager
Stressful as leadership is reverting
Senior Program Execution Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 16, 2019
Working has become very stressful lately as it seems leadership is reverting back to pre-bankruptcy ways. While C level is saying the right things the front line leaders seems to not be following suit. Culture is turning more to silence head nodding than speaking up for what you feel is the right thing to do.
Pros
Working for a fortune 500 company that is trying to work on the future
Cons
Current culture is becoming sour.
A really good rotation program for learning what you want to do
TRACK Engineer (Former Employee) –  Milford, MISeptember 15, 2019
TRACK is the rotation program at GM for entry-level engineers. I spend 4 months each in 6 different positions and it really helped me figure out what I wanted to to at the company and in my career. The biggest complaint was that 4 months wasn't enough time to get trained and make an impact in your role. However, I think the short rotations were a good thing because it gave me exposure to more engineering fields in the company and allowed me to quickly get out of a position I didn't like.
Pros
Wide range of learning experiences
Cons
Not much time to do meaningful work
Hard work pays off
Team Leader I (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNSeptember 15, 2019
Seniority based company put in your time and climb the ladder. The benefits are excellent along with the pay plenty of opportunity to move up. Paid apprenticeship, paid schooling manny more assentive.
Good workplace with good work culture throughout
Sr Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 15, 2019
Most of the Managers are friendly and open. Very helpful in terms of needs of resources they handle and cross functionally. Overall policies and benefits are among the best you will see.
General motors Arlington
Occupational Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 15, 2019
Medical department is stuck in the 50s.
Fithy work environment with old equipment.
Bully/hostile work environment with a hands-off manager that allows it to continue and fester.
Pros
Younger patients/employees
Cons
Hostile work environment
Don't
Assembly Supervisor / Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNSeptember 14, 2019
Sucks need more money management sucks lack of getting paychecks on time people just make you frustrated there are many clicks I was a temp full-time with no benefits no sick days just holidays should have got hired in full time that laid off three times
General Motors was the best job I have ever had.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHSeptember 14, 2019
The closing of the Moraine plant was life altering. I only hope that I will again find another job like that one. The pay rate and benefits will never be beat. I only wish the opportunity to work for General Motors comes around again.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Redundancy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

53.5K
42.4K
31.2K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at General Motors.

Powered by Comparably