General Motors

Found 5,260 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,226 reviews

General Motors insights

Based on 1,467 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

It was a challenging and rewarding job experience.

If I had to do over again I would. The people I met and worked with enriched my life and many are still lifelong friends. Change isn't always bad. After I left I started a different career path that gave me more time with my family.

Pros

I looked forward to going to work.

Cons

Sometimes the work was very stressful due to deadlines.

Worked on assembly line

This Is the worst job. You never get good on a job from being moved around. I also did not care for management their scumbags. I think it takes to long to go ft

Pros

Nice product

Battery assembly plant brownstown

No work life balance not really part of Gm a subsystem the union rep there is all for self whatever is accommodating for her life and lifestyle …employees really click like older women …pay rate is low…other mangers are spiteful….they only care about overall goal …very high turn over rate …job was easy work environment and management trash

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Boring No work life balance No real union liaison Management spiteful High turn over rate

Coworkers were great, that’s it.

I met a lot of great people at GM. As people, management were good. As management, they were awful. There was zero communication between management and people on the floor. Problems were never resolved. I worked every weekend for 6 months straight and when I asked to have a few saturdays off I was met with attitude. I gave my all as a worker even though I was making less than half of everyone else. I was a new hire for 8 months. Jobs were easy but I would train someone making more than double I was. If you’re young, single, no kids, and not many bills then stick it out for the potential this place offers. But, be prepared to be drug through the mud and made to feel like you owe your entire life to that company. I tried, but no job is better than feeling worthless and missing every family event. There was a lot of down time. Many weekends I spent waiting on maintenance or electricians to fix something. But my attendance was needed even though we were over staffed. I was laid off multiple times. They tell you GM is your family because you never get to see your real family. Being a good worker gets you no where.

Pros

Easy work and great people.

Cons

Management, Scheduling, Communication, Pay, Temp status, Uaw, Constant lay offs, Constant down time

Great place to work, but when the work is slow it’s unbearable

Loved my time here as an intern and would recommend it to anyone. However, working in manufacturing there are often times where things slow up and they slow to an unbearable crawl.

Pros

Wlb, Benefits

Cons

Slow work, poor management

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Very unclear direction of company and long hours with little pay

Honestly I liked everyone at GM Orion but they really didn't pay the Materials/Subsystems operators all that well. It was long hours, Subsystems doesn't even have a full benefits package yet. The union is pushing for better pay and things to help the Subsystems team but GM almost seems like they're dragging their feet.... The plant is cool and had a lot of amenities like a whole gym! But some people couldn't even access it because our badges never arrived. On top of that they laid us off with very little notice only 2 months after orientation and training. It all just seemed so unfair and I wanted to like this place but I just can't give it a good rating as of right now. Too many things went wrong.

Pros

Insurance, Benefits, Friendly Coworkers, Overtime, Learning Opportunities

Cons

Pay, Little Benefits for Subsystems, Management, Short Notice on Everything, Lack Of Cleanliness

Typical factory job.

Drama, favoritism, sweatshop. But if you’re looking for a place to be left alone and put your head down, you can make it here if you’re careful. Otherwise, you should have think enough skin to let drama roll off your back

Pros

Frequent breaks Lots of different jobs to move around in

Cons

Short breaks horrible climate, always blistering hot or freezing cold Highschool drama Long temp status

Very process orientated made it easier to do your job.

Team spirit at the company at the time I was there was very high from the top of the company to the bottom. People worked together to bring success to the company

Pros

There was opportunity to move from one site to another if you were open to other cities, I took that opportunity and moved a number of times.

Cons

Could languish without promotions

Design engineers are always on the edge and is a stressful environment. They are blamed for errors even though they are directed by GM management.

Work and work environment is so stressful and nothin is enjoyable. At times employees are harassed by management for not doing their jobs and or performing to their expectations. The worst GM experience I had in my career of 25+ years of experience with many employers.

Cons

Sorry to say this...there is no such thing as Pro's in this company.

Great coworkers

My work/life balance was fair and safety measures were taken very seriously. However the management team did not care about the welfare of their employees, especially the ones over a certain age group.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Management did not provide encouragement or support for their long standing employees

Do the same thing for 9 to 10 hours a day. You have to work three Saturdays every month. Work life balance is bad so if you have a family I don't recommend it.

Pros

Pay

Very stressful environment

No comfort here at all. No job security. Very stressful. They find away to let you go. Harassment. Retaliation. The work environment is unbearable. Treated like a robot. Not as a person. The union can't help you at all. They are hired thru the company.

Benefits

Cons

2nd shift Management, union

Overall Good Company

Good pay & benefits. Fast paced.Global company where I learned alot about global purchasing. Need to have more minorities in leadership roles........

Cons

Offer more room for career advancement

Great potential

Great place to work if you live locally since the compensation isn't that great. The benefits are worth the hassle that comes with the job. Overtime is often forced though.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Short notice of overtime

Being a part of a leader in the automotive industry has alot of benefits. It can be stressful at times but overall is a good company.

Overall this is a solid company to work for. The benefits are amazing. Given the size of the organization there is plenty of opportunity to expose yourself to multiple areas of the business.

Great

Great place to work, it is my dream job and place to work for. I t was so excited to work for such a big company. I hope to succeed in this company. I like it

Nice workout room

They have provide a goof life. Need updated computers and machines. They claim to be most advanced tool and die shop in the country. That is simply not true. They can not machine off a solid model does not make any sense.

Pros

Cons

Horrible front line supervision. Isn’t your boss suppose to know your job?

Back-stabbing and vindictive leadership.

Politics, politics, politics. If you’re buddies with the right people, you’ll get promoted. If you’re not in the “club”, you get the worst assignments and worst conditions.

Pros

High pay

Cons

Hostile work environment - very hostile.

General Motors is not your father's General Motors

GM has gone through and is still under going significant changes. Those changes have been painful for loyal employees and has led to high stress on the job.

Pros

Stable company, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Management does not care about your career, you are on your own.

Awesome place to start

Loved my time an General Motors. Learned so much while I was there. Exposure to advanced engineering tools and multiple developments. Always felt like my input matter

Don’t expect management support

Supervisors and managers are poorly trained and I’ll prepared for leadership roles. As a result, their primary focus is getting themselves promoted. This is usually at the expense of their team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1K

InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight