General Motors

United States5,616 reviews

Found 5,616 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,749 reviews
motorgeneralunionplantuawassemblytempcar

Assembling Motors

Being on time and Attendance was very important. the line started at the top of the hour beginning each shift rather your at your station or not. I learned to use a bunch of different power tools, read manifest and 6 months after working there I was put into the "pool" where I was responsible for Relieving workers and replace anyone that would miss days. Management was very distant but handled a comfortable workplace. Co-workers was very welcoming. Hardest thing about the job was Keeping up with the line until you get the hang of things. I loved the wages and scheduling.

Okayghh

I really enjoyed my job. I felt like I made a difference with the clients and employees. Sorry I had to leave due to moving out of state. Help was there when I needed and learned a lot.

General Motors insights

Based on 2,206 survey responses
What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Not great

Not really a great place to work. The management doesn't care, hours are inconsistent. Money is the only thing they have going for them. Wouldn't recommend if you can help it.

What is the best part of working at the company?Retirement fulfillment. Good people to work with. Lot's of opportunities.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Being safe, always keep looking for ways to improve safety.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Great place to work. You meet different nationality people.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Being on time making sure your job is set up, talking to everyone.

Terrible place all around

Terrible place to work. Supervisors pull you in all different directions and fight over where you should be working then you are blamed for working in an area you were told to work when another supervisor wants you somewhere else. It's ridiculous

Pros

Noe

Cons

Working there

Great place for a career

Great benefits, wages, Can be a career, not just a job. Union factory, with opportunities for advancement. Tuition assistance. Overtime is usually available

Good WLB

Great work life balance Apps can be boringA lot of managementPay isnt as compBenefits are great Tons of vacation No growth Overall it’s a ok job Great for college entry get your exp and leave

Good Place to Work

GM's benefits are a big reason to work here - great benefits packages including family forming assistance. Work/life balance is pretty good, it honestly depends on your role/department. Overall I'd recommend working here.

Mediocre Management

Managers have NO Leadership Skills. Kept raising the Expectation Bar while just giving you the Cold Shoulder. Overwhelming Case Load while the Internal Agents Walked all over you and take you for Granted. Human Resource was just as worst. Wrote multiple Statements and Request multiple times to transfer out of this dept. All Ignored.

Pros

Work at Home

Cons

Mediocre Managers

Always productive, and a fun environment

Best job opportunity I have ever had, loved my job, being creative and using my abilities to add to the business is definitely a bonus, I was always able to run with great ideas and processes to help better the team, it's a team business, no fear of anything coming back at you, we are all on the same level.

Pros

Freedom to always bring up new ideas, and be part of the team

Cons

The benefits and Pay are the only reason to stay at this job. It’s definitely manual labor and long hours and mandatory o/t will wreck your mind/body!

Good job if you have someone to raise your children or take care of your household while you work. There’s no life/work balance. The job is tough, management is tough, HR is tough, the union isn’t what it once was, if I didn’t have benefits and pay that was outstanding I wouldn’t have been there 10 plus years!S harassment by management is a norm. Union and management are on the same side so don’t get in any trouble. Your coworkers aren’t your friends so beware!

Pros

Pay, insurance and profit sharing/benefits

Cons

No time off, mandatory o/t, hard to request PTO, horrid management, messy coworkers

Great Workplace and Environment

Looking for a clean work environment and fun atmosphere? GM Financial is a great place to work. Hard to move up in the company, but overall great company.

What is the best part of working at the company?Aftersales Knowledge Ranked #1 CCA in State of Michigan (BIG) 3 Automotive Industry What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Mistakes (EWM) System (Focus) human errorsWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Routine Routine Routine What is a typical day like for you at the company?Buried in Freight 1st & 2nd Shifts (Tango & Cash) Work Opera

Good money, bad work life balance

You will work seven days a week most of the time. You will be working as salary and most likely will be around 70 hrs to 80 hrs worked a week and only getting paid for 40hrs. Money can still be good but will not have time for family or any sort of life.

Not bad

Cca 5 years easy easy easy money lots of hours thats the only problem lots of hours an no communication so you'll know if you work Saturday on Friday

great

nothing to complain about. great team environment and inclusive workplace. good benefits and rrsp contributions by employer. shift work part of the job.

Engineer

The company is very dynamic, especially with the changes in direction (EVs etc). Depending on the department you work, there is always a chance it can be dissolved and job security is not always the best. The vacation / bonus is not bad at all. There is also the battle of being in the "clique" if you want to move up the corporate ladder or work in a unique area.

Pros

vacation, work locations, bonus

Cons

corporate politics, job security

What is the best part of working at the company?High wages and good benefits What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Getting up early and working alot of overtime sometimes seven days a weekWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?It was good .Thank God we had a good union to help protect the employees. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Working hard and we made sure that my job was done right

A lot of work for a little pay.

At the Bolingbrook, Illinois location they have you start at least two weeks in the dayshift and then they move you to the Night Shift. Honestly, the dayshift is probably the easiest but when he comes to the night shift everyone’s really mean. The amount of forced overtime is ridiculous. Sometimes they’re not walking out of there till 2 AM or 12 AM. You’ll get a raise one dollar every year or something like that. The only messed up part about that is there’s some guy that’ll be doing the same job as you and be getting paid double. To be honest it’s only really busy during the holiday season but if you’re willing to stay there for five years plus to actually get a living wage then go for it.

Pros

Union guys are cool.

Cons

Everyone’s got a bad attitude/low pay high work

Not the best place to work

Sure having GM on your resume might take you far but the culture and some folks from the upper management are toxic to deal with. You have brown nose to be in a good position with colleagues, or atleast know someone in the company who can "give a good word" about you.

Pros

Good to have on your resume

Cons

People and culture are toxic

Good work life balance

Work life balance is great and makes a nice place out of college to get your feet wet with the development lifecycle. Pay is on the lower end of the scale and most benefits are industry standard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at General Motors.
Powered byComparably