General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 3,382 reviews matching the search See all 6,308 reviews
IT at General Motors
Performance Engineer, Austin Innovation Center (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 16, 2018
Great benefits you won't find many other places. Nearly impossible to advance in your career or even beyond a job you are moved into.

Management can be hit or miss. Many departments are working with a lot of COTS products so this can further annoy you if you are a developer looking to expand skills and knowledge.
Cons
Lack of professional advancement
Typical large company: opportunities for some, less for others
Market Research Consultant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 16, 2018
For those lucky enough to be on their fast track, there are a lot of opportunities to work in different areas of the company and learn. For others not as much - can stay in a dept for a very long time. Very political culture and stuck in their own ways of doing things.
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
DEVELOPMENT TEAM LEAD/SOFTWARE ARCHITECT (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 15, 2018
Productive and fun workplace with lots of interesting people and smart people to learn from. Various groups allow for moving between teams to learn new skills.
Productive workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXNovember 15, 2018
I have worked my way up through General Motors, beginning at the Genral Motors: Classic Car wash to Genreal Motors. A typical day at General Motors consisted of order parts for customers, shipping parts to customers, checking in freight orders from the day before, checking inventory and monitoring stock. I enjoyed eveyrone I worked with and I am grateful for the opportunity that past 4 summers.
Relaxed work environment and strict expectations
DataStage ETL Developer (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GANovember 15, 2018
Workplace culture is only favorable for certain groups. Management is a hit or miss. You could have a great manager or one who doesn't know anything.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Inconsistent Expectations
great place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 15, 2018
Gm is a great place to work great benefits and you can make a lot of money working overtime when you want and get paid every week great place to work with a good union team
Good place for a contract worker
EDAG Mentor (Former Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 15, 2018
The people were all very good at GM. My job was interesting and rewarding. Being a contract employee is precarious, as contract people are the first to be laid off when business is down.
Pros
Hands-off management style
Cons
Layoffs during downturns of the business
Zero emissions
ELECTRICAL ARCHITECTURE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 15, 2018
The company started an aggressive campaign to go electrical, there is a lot of uncertainty about the future, GM is a great company to work but they need to take care of more people with experience.
Pros
Great workplace to learn, a lot of opportunities to explore different areas withing the automobile industry
Cons
Uncertainty about future.
Subsidery of GM
GM Representative (Current Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 15, 2018
Learned a lot. But the pay wasn't the same as if I had worked at GM. The training was excellent and I was advanced because of my excellent communication skill.
Great place to work.
Senior Designer/Checker (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INNovember 14, 2018
A typical day at work is great. The management is great. The workplace culture is great. The most enjoyable part of the job is to supply the world with great vehicles.
Started out great and went downhill
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2018
GM started out strong with great benefits, supportive work environment, and pathways for career growth. Over the last few years they have been gradually taking these things away, and are now announcing big layoffs. This is a corporate culture that took a stab at being an IT company but ultimately decided to go back to what they are used to.
Pros:
Lots of holidays/vacation
401k matching
Cons:
Advancement rarely goes to qualified internal candidates
Judgemental culture (you better have a gm car)
Managers who don't want to be managers
Pros
lots of vacation
Management is hit or miss
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2018
Learned a lot, but I was told I would be hired as a software developer for a Java position and then I got stuck in DataStage ETL tool. Hard to escape ETL if you want to do real software development.
No room for advancement.
Janitor/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 14, 2018
Job description was very misleading. Overall just a mismanaged department with 0 accountability. Very much a "Do as I say, not as I do" company. Poor pay compared to every other dept.
Back up Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYNovember 14, 2018
Typical day building engines
Learned standardization
Management no comment
Workplace culture no comment
Hardest part of the job challenging tasks
Enjoyable part of the job building new Inventory
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
job was good overall
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MINovember 14, 2018
until I got ill I was working okay but the pain got the best of me I will not be able to return to work do to not using my hands but if I could I would work. I will be able to not work.
Cons
One of the best jobs I've had.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 14, 2018
Really good job with great pay and benefits. Co-workers were grate everyone was a team player. Lots of opportunity to advance you career here also. Overall a great place to work.
Temporary Job
Temporary Employment (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, INNovember 14, 2018
When you work for GM, it is temporary. There is no such thing as hired on work. You will be a temp for a minimum of 18mo. At that time there is a strict 90 day policy. You cannot miss any days or you will be terminated!
Pros
Union
Cons
Temp work
Learned
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 13, 2018
I learned many things from working as a contractor through General Motors. Knowing the importance of vehicle safety was key to performing the duties within the Production control logistics and configuration side of the job. Configuration of the vehicle was important to ensure the vehicles were built to the safety standards required by law and even though the fast paced environment was challenging, working in an environment where the end goals were shared, the teams produced solid results.
Conservative
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 12, 2018
Typical day at work: Many meetings, some time for focused work
Workplace culture: Old school
Most enjoyable part of job: Seeing the results of your work in improved product performance
Great Starter Company
Java Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 12, 2018
Learned a lot while working for General Motors, it is a work from work environment. Team is very helpful and bonus is a plus. Great place to start you career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
53K
42K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at General Motors.

Powered by Comparably