General Motors

General Motors insights

Based on 1,477 survey responses
What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Great

Great place to work, it is my dream job and place to work for. I t was so excited to work for such a big company. I hope to succeed in this company. I like it

Good company to start out with

The experience working here depends heavily on your manager, org, and project. But as a new college hire, I've learned a lot. Work life balance has been good. Everyone has been supportive and has been giving great guidance. Benefits are great, but no free swag, food, etc. One thing to note is that pay is pretty low (for IT) when compared to other companies, and most people usually leave after working for 2-3 years.

Pros

Good work life balance, great benefits

Cons

Pay is below average compared to other companies, very difficult to get promoted

I enjoy working here... people are very helpful and I find something new to do everyday. Comp is okay but the work/life balnce makes up for it. Good place to start.

I was a legal advisor for General Motors. They raised the pay but since you’re conversing with attorneys you should be getting paid way more. Lots of micromanaging in BRC.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Micromanaging

Good Work Place

Decent pay with good benefits. Management values the importance of work-life balance. GM leadership is doing very well, but IT leadership could use some improvement.

Pros

Number of holidays, Stable company

Cons

Lack of remote work, IT leadership, Favoritism, Stack-ranking

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Good place for starting a career, not great for long term

Assuming you get into an engaging development/engineering role as a college new hire, its a nice place to start for the following reasons: - generally not too much crunch, especially for new hires - generous relocation comp (as least it was when I started) - a long training period to adjust to worklife - most likely coming in with a bunch of other college new hires, easy to make friends and connections with others your age - set raises every half year/year & consist yearly bonuses - generous PTO - good insurance, HSA, 401k matching, etc benefitsThat all being said, there is a lot of turnover once you get into the 3+ years range, mostly because there are not a lot of opportunities to move up. Within your team, GM would rather replace you with another college new hire than promote within or give a pay raise. Your only path to promotion is transferring within GM to another position (which has gotten a lot easier in last yea or so). But even then I'd say mid level developers/engineers are below average comp levels for their experience

Pros

a lot young developers, possible to transfer within GM, benefits, bonus

Cons

little paths for promotions, especially within your team and area

Great people to work with but management is out of touch.

Been at GM for 5 years in their IT Department. People I work with are generally great people and want to do a good job. Some of IT management (Sr leaders) are out of touch with the developers and seem to ignore their pain points. Understaffed and overworked has been the norm for this team and the previous manager left because they could never get any additional resources. I also have asked for changes for a couple of years but was ignored. The entire team eventually left and have now been replaced with very inexperienced employees. Not all Sr IT management is the same and there are some good ones around but not in the area I am working in.

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits. Great people to work with. Work remote 3 days per week.

Cons

Sr. Management

Experience is dependent on what team you are; But overall, experience has been good

Coworkers are friendly. Can be maintaining legacy apps or learning moder tech stacks. 401k benefit is nice. Lots of PTO however it's use it or lose it. Depending on the team, there's an opportunity to be mentored but it seems like the team has difficulty retaining senior devs.

Pros

401k contribution, friendly coworkers, can be learning modern tech stack

Cons

Bait/switch when placing new college hires in new role, apply for software developer what you could be placed as a tester, business analyst, or it operation

Work life balance is good.

GM said it's trying to be a tech company but still stuck in a vicious cycle of bureaucracy and a mindset of a hundred years old company.GM offer good benefit but don't expect perks like other tech company.GM pay is not as completive as other software companies.

Pros

Work life balance, benefit, Pto

Cons

Bureaucracy, pay not good enough

Kind people, striving for innovation

Amazing people to work with. Work can be a bit boring at times working on legacy applications. Lack of transparency around promotions is not great. Overall it’s a great culture with good work life balance, but I wish there were more opportunities to develop and advance if you’re someone who really wants to grow their career.

Pros

Work life balance, culture, push for innovation, management is really trying to do the right thing in terms of diversity and the environment

Cons

Development opportunities, pay on the low end for Austin

Mismanaged, high turnover department

The department in the IT office in Austin, TX that I worked in was terribly mismanaged. Also heard of several hires from other departments who were hired as Software Developers then placed as QA Testers. Within one year I had about 4 different managers. 2 were great but short lived. The last one, during COVID, moved from the business side onto the IT side and sold me onto doing more work that would supposedly help my career path. Was told by senior manager that what he stated was not true. He had little to no technical knowledge, would out-talk co-workers for 30-40 minutes until he had his way -- unless you could out-talk him. If anything it put me back further in my career.

Pros

Nothing worthwile

Cons

High turnover rate, bait-and-switch

Awesome Developers, poor management and agile execution

Most of day is meetings, can randomly be pulled onto 'volunteer' teams that punish you if you do not deliver AKA voluntold. Team members are awesome and only reason it is bearable.

Pros

Awesome team members

Cons

Management, Scrum, Work Life Balance

Ok if you don't want to innovate.

Ridden with terrible managers who do nothing and/or are limited by upper management. Project managers who seemingly also do nothing besides nag. Forget about innovation, you have to do it GMs way, no matter how covulted, which usually involved way more work than necessary.

Pros

Really good work life balance.

Cons

Hard to move up levels

Drive2Great was a trick

GM is great at pretending to make changes to reduce bureaucracy and recognize employees for modeling the company values. Once you are hired in, it is difficult to move up. They keep people who literally do nothing for years then cut 30% of the workforce every 4-5 years. All the above-average employees leave, the mediocre stay, and they bring in thousands of college hires to put through the same cycle. It was difficult to leave GM because I loved what I did and got paid well. I couldn't go through the same annual cycle again: get teased about being promoted, work hard all year to meet project deadlines, get told it wasn't in the budget, maybe next year.

Pros

Good Pay, Good Benefits

Nothing much to complain. Great place to work and good benefits. Tech is bit old but everyone is learning. Nothing much to complain. Great place to work.

Pretty great and relaxed workspace

Everything is more or less pretty great; the culture is relatively transparent and laid back. The compensation is lower than industry averages, however.

Pretty good place to work

A lot depends on which team you are on. Good place to be if you are coming from Dell. Lots of meetings, not a lot of technology innovation. No free coffee.

Pros

Nice co-workers

Cons

Advancement is difficult unless you came from Dell

Just fine

No path to promo, good job security, good bonus sometimes. Work can be slow. Good office space. Location is good. Excellent Heath care benefits and pto.

Call advisor

Overall an okay job. Plenty of over time. Management is a little unorganized. COVID shut the site down cause everyone to work from home. Has plenty of benefits.

Entry Level Software Developers NOT doing Software Development

You will be placed in a random team - It seems like more often than not, they need non-development teams to be filled - Ironically, I've seen people with a development background placed in a non-development team, and people without a development background in a development team.If you are looking to grow as a software developer, I would avoid entry level positions at General Motors, because you will most likely not do any software development.Additionally, moving horizontally to another team is impossible, despite how proactive you are in networking with other teams. You are essentially locked in your team, on average, three years it seems like. I've seen plenty of entry level software developers in the company for 0 to 3 years, not doing any software development.

Pros

slightly above average benefits, slightly below average salary

Cons

Career Growth, Opportunities, Utilizing Skills

Great place to start career. More investment needed in employees and culture

Good place to learn, jump start your career, and get exposure to relevant technologies. Typical large corporate company process oriented ways. The office is located in the far north suburbs and office perks are nonexistent. It's a place to get paid decently and show up to work, but beyond that the culture isn't conducive to thrive and reach your full potential. GM is so focused on cost cutting to a point where the trade offs are sacrificing elements that could substantially improve job satisfaction.

Pros

Good benefits and vacation

Cons

Lackluster company culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at General Motors.
Powered byComparably