General Motors Culture reviews

Found 717 reviews matching the search See all 6,125 reviews
horrible culture
operations technician (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNSeptember 17, 2018
there's a bad culture of bullying and harassment. Management and the UAW work together to get rid of anyone who questions the status quo. The union will constantly lie about everything to trick people into signing a contract that hurts employees and only benefits stockholders, which the UAW is a stockholder.
Fun place to had worked.
Assembly Line/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHSeptember 13, 2018
GM was a family oriented place to work. Team building was very important to me to accomplish our company goals. I developed multiple skills when I worked at GM, one being "Team Work".
Pros
Great Place to work
Cons
Plant Closed
General Motors is a great company to work for overall.
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 12, 2018
General Motors is a great company. The IT function is working to implement an effective in-sourced model. General Motors as a company is promoting all the right values to employees to enable a one team culture.
Communication Is Lacking / Accountability is Minimal
Integration Vehicle Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 11, 2018
Though I've increased my skill set and learned much, my current role is not representative of the description I received at the time of my interview. At times, my skill set is wasted conducting other job functions that are not related to my position. Travel requirements were vastly misrepresented at the time of my interview. The primary location of my employment with round trip travel time, as well as the impending likelihood of extended travel requirements have lead me to look in to other employment opportunities.

Separately, the "silos" have have plagued the company in the past are still very much alive and in place. Though the culture change is being touted as in process, it is simply not the case.
Pros
Wage, People, Autonomy, Fast Paced
Cons
Lack of Communication at all levels, long travel periods
Enjoy wrking with friendly people.
Bankruptcy Account Representative III (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 10, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to work with my peers and mangament who are always encouraging and consistantly motivating you to elevate to be better.
Milford proving ground
Manager- Durability Testing Repair Facility (Former Employee) –  Milford, MISeptember 8, 2018
The Milford Proving grounds are some of the most fascinating and high complex testing facilities in the world. If and automotive test can be conceived, it can be performed at Milford.
Pros
wonderful work envirionment
Cons
very poor corporate culture
Varied workplace
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 7, 2018
General Motors builds cars and trucks and has a "Peyton Place," type work environment. Like a small city. Cliques, political divisions, racial divides, etc. One adapts to the inter culture of that workplace. You learn with whom to associate and or avoid. Best attitude to have is come in and do your job. Learned during 30+ years on the job.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Favoritism, backstabbing both from management and coworkers.
Great Company/Competitive/Enjoyed Team Competition
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2018
General Motors was a Great company to work for, even though it was micro managed a lot. There was great advancement opportunities, numerous recognitions/awards, Great team environment. Great support from Team leads and trainers from what I can remember seeing as how it has been 10 years since I worked there back in Austin, Texas as an Outsource Customer Service Call Center.
Pros
Team Competition, great environment, Friendly staff
Cons
Very quick paced, micro managed at times
Worst company I have ever worked for.
Temp Full Time (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 4, 2018
I started as a full time Temp at GM.The trainers were very good. The managers would not allow the trainer to train people properly. The manages try very hard to get rid of people. Waited 3 week to get the first pay check. The work at this plant was very hard and they give you a 10 min break the first 4 hours. A lunch for 30 min. A 5 min break if you work 9 hours. I cannot believe the UAW would allow people to be treated in this fashion. Almost everyday you work 9 hours. Some people have been temp for 3 years. Everyone on 2nd shift was a temp except for trainers, team leader. The pay is horrible. Do not wait your time. GM wants to keep a culture of Temp employees at the Baltimore Location.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, pay, no future
Great place to work at with many opportunities
Electrical DRE (Design) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIAugust 29, 2018
Several meeting to determine next actions
I have learned how to better manage time
Management changes with skills and personalities
Workplace culture vary with location
Motivating others to be proactive instead of reactive
The opportunity to constantly learn and evolve
Pros
Opportunity to move around
Good enterprise information technology experience
Software Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2018
General Motors IT is a good top fortune organization to gain experience at. The enterprise systems, tools, infrastructure and processes provide a good learning environment.
Pros
Competitive compensation and work-life balance
Cons
Bogged down a little bit with the parent automotive processes and the cyclical nature of business
Great Job
Welder/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEAugust 23, 2018
The work culture at General Motors was great. The pay was good and everyone seemed motivated to do their jobs on a daily basis. This job ended prematurely due to relocation.
ok work place
Paint (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, KSAugust 20, 2018
A day at work was fine Learn how to operate paint robots. Management was ok. work culture was ok. Hardest part of the job was being a temp for 2yrs and not able to miss a day, but they were pretty understandable. Best part was meeting new people
Very productive and pleasant environment.
LSA Help Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 16, 2018
A typical day would be providing information in order to support or resolve an issue within another department. I learned that it was important to perform a thorough investigation on the matter and the hardest part was it was not always evident. The most enjoyable part was completing my assignment and having a laugh with coworkers.
General Motors is a fast- paced working environment.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TX 75051August 15, 2018
Universal (GM) is a fun place to work. Friendly workers, supervisors, and managers. Lots of overtime. Adequate training, and availability of working tools.
Pros
Good management.
Cons
Can be stressful.
Great Company For Learning The Ropes
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 14, 2018
General Motors IT centers are a great experience for those new to the software development field. While not immediately, new technologies and tools slowly work their way into the company, and as a college hire you're exposed to all the major practices in the field. College hires also receive a compounding raise of 2.5% every six months for the first three years. Because of the size of the company, bureaucracy is rampant and getting tools approved or even newer versions of tools can be a painstaking process. Testing and CI/CD lag behind more modern practices.

The company has a bit of an old 1980s, elitist, corporate culture feel where managers are given corporate cars all year long, but employees aren't even provided coffee. Again, good starting place, but once you have your professional bearings, the bureaucracy, and lack of continuing education opportunities may leave you wanting.
Pros
Great benefits, decent pay, supportive coworkers.
Cons
Bureaucracy, bland corporate culture, traditional hours
Great place to retire
Millwright/System Administrator/QNPM Co-Champion (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 12, 2018
I worked for General Motors for 30 years and one month. unfortunately they were closing the plant I worked at and I had enough time to retire, so I did.
Pros
Great Pay, Great benefits, Great atmosphere
Sorter / Loader (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 10, 2018
My last job there i was forklift operator. that consist of loading and unloading trucks and staging the product in it's proper space.shrink wrapped and rf scanned everything that was supposed to be shipped out. i learned so many jobs over 21 years there. management was very supportive of family. work place culture was fantastic quality first. quantity second. the hardest part of the job was knowing it was going to end. most enjoyable part was family atmosphere and getting paid weekly.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job leaving
Gm
SOFTWARE DEVELOPER II (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 7, 2018
Great place to learn and show your skills. Each project is a new challenge. Great team mates.

Unfortunately, i don't like the location.
Atlanta, GA.
Pros
People are friendly and work environment is great.
Cons
Manufactured cars on a daily basis.
Team Leader Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LA 71129August 7, 2018
Get to work and check all the stations in my team to see if everyone showed up. Document data on my paperwork. Repair of replace parts when needed. Did various quality checks.
Management was helpful when needed.
Loved to work with my co-workers.
Hardest part was leaving.
Pros
The people and the benefits.
Cons
Leaving the people and the benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2
52.9K
42K

Women's ratings

3.6Fairygodboss Score

49%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

83%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss