General Tire

General Tire Employee Reviews

Long temporary worker process but none the less not a bad place to work. Definitely hot and dirty most of the time but rather high pay scales plus usually always good coworkers.
The company was the best place I had ever worked always a great place to work never a dull and management was fare moment enjoyed the twelve hour shifts
Company that had problems but worked with union officials to make sure that every employee was treated well and safety was first and product was second too bad the union couldn't keep the plant running causing over 1000 people to lose their jobs
built 80, to 82 tires a day. How to build truck tires .good and fair management The. hardest part of the job was building tires on.piece work..Working with people of all kinds.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
closed down
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Had lots of supply issues when I worked there which made it difficult to hit quota numbers. Everybody liked selling tires which made it a fun place to work.
Pros
Fun place to work, good attitude
Cons
Supply issues when I was there
company is closed building torn down.moved production out of the area .there are currently no job opportunities associated with this company locally..
I drove to work in Mt. Vernon from my home in Salem. I worked two 12 hour shifts on the weekend and two 8 hour shifts during the week. I built car tires on a machine.
It was a great place to work,but is no longer in business.So I cannot tell people to go to work there . I didn't quit ,but got layed off,and just never went back
Overall this is a great place to work. You earn every penny of what you make there. The employees all get along and we had fun working there. Overall a great place to work .
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at General Tire?
Old methods of manufacturing makes it like a trip down memory lane. Making Corvettes and Shelbies with these old methods of manufacturing are fun things to remember. Back in the 1800's we had even older methods.
Pros
paid breaks and lunches
Cons
hazardous chemicals
Lots of hours and chance for overtime. With plenty of Healthcare and other benefits. Work schedules can be rough but nothing terrible. Great place to work
Good pay, decent benefits, factory work. Still one of the better if not the best jobs in the area. Hard work, good pay. New hires will work weekend for a long time.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Worker moral was low at times.
I loaded and unloaded trucks Good work environment and great co workers. Job security was a plus.G management and overall a very positive po lace to work
I liked working around the people that had been at general tire for along time. Very comfortable,and helpful to work around.
Pros
Non Union
Cons
Short lunch breaks
good place to work at, but no time off for family. I would like to see my family more then 2 times a month. They always call you into work.
o e of the best companies to work for, unfortunately they closed all locations in 1993
worked with alot of awesome people. loved the money and the work environment. i recommend this work area to alot of people. very very fun.
worked at own pace which is up-beat for me. began by getting info from boss on which machines to clean and which ones to wait on. learned to use the mold press interface screen to manipulate machine to desired work positions. really enjoyed the work frce attitude torwards there work and having to work wit me(they were all very friendly and courteous). the hrdest part ofhe job i would say would be the dirt and hotness of the mold. and the most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to work and progress at own pace.
Pros
working without immediate supervision
Cons
heat from mold's
my job duties there allowed me a opurtunity at times too assist in supervising which is a major step everyone is your resposibillity and i excepted that challenge and still was able too do my part weither it was cleaning up oil spills,driving a forklift,operating a scrubber,sucking up oil in tanks and moving the oil into another container....i still had time too wax&strip floor once aweek and every other month...so they kept me busy
like the fast paced work environment, learned new skills and worked hard!
It has been a while since I worked at this place of employment, so I am uncomfortable sharing my work experience as it may have changed. Although, I did enjoy working there while I did.
  1. Employee Reviews