Genesis Health Clubs Employee Reviews

Front Desk Greeter
Front Receptionist/Greeter (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSJune 25, 2018
I answered phones, cleaned tanning beds, scanned people in to workout, and made shacks. This job was very stressless. It was an easy laid back job and I worked every week day after school till 8pm.
Cut throat management
Front Desk and Operations (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 20, 2018
Terrible management. Terrible pay. Terrible working conditions. Not a teamwork type of job. Its a job you take if you are a young person needing a few hours a week because its not a fast food restaurant. They are about making money not about the members. If you believe in what you do this isnt the place to work. If you believe in making money for the BIG GUY then go work there. I dont recommend it. To anyone.
Cons
Fun work environment with flexible hours
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 20, 2018
Working for Genesis was a great experience. I learned a lot, made friends. advanced quickly and moved into management. Staff is great, motivation is great. members make every day worth coming to work.
Pros
free workouts and exercise programs
Cons
old buildings are run down not taken care of properly
Poor pay and bad management
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSJune 6, 2018
The upper management did not seem to care about their workers or try and help us with anything. The pay was terrible for the amount of work you do, and there is not much room for advancement!
Pros
Free childcare
Cons
Pay, management
An enjoyable job with a great social atmosphere
Night manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 3, 2018
I would show up to work and would usually be greeted by friendly acquaintances waiting for me. Considering I worked third shift, foot traffic never got hectic but would pick up from time to time. I would count the register upon arriving, restock any front desk supplies, walk the club making sure everything is normal while also checking members in and getting guest registered. I learned a lot about a healthier prolonged lifestyle and became addicted to the gym life. Management was always great with the customers but I felt they lacked the same care for their coworkers. The job wasn't difficult by any means but the hardest part would have to be diffusing any confrontations between members which was rare. although the pay and hours weren't that great, I can say that I loved working there, being in that environment with people that just want to improve themselves, everyone would push you to be a better YOU.
Pros
no lunch breaks, ate when I wanted, in store discounts and free membership
Cons
3rd shift. No career advancement.
It is a good company but not for family needs.
Personal and Group Fitness and Advisor (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 3, 2018
Needed to spend 8 plus hours a day. I have 2 small children. Lots of time away from home 6 days a week. Hours changed often. Stressful trying to meet commission.
Pros
met lots of people
very/less than ok
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 1, 2018
the owners are less than personable. the work culture was within the staff. great environment within the people but the higher ups are not that great. in all honesty, the owners are really close knitted to the company. more than they should be. its not every company where you meet the owner but that is not the case with Genesis. They lack common perspective and are the reason why i am leaving.
Pros
membership, you meet, fun people as well as good influences and good habits
Cons
short breaks, the owner is terrible
Gym membership sales
FITNESS ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 30, 2018
cold calling, fighting for walk in leads, business dress in a gym atmosphere. 50-60 hour work week and weekends. Fun team atmosphere and management. Free work outs
Nursery
Nursery Worker (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 23, 2018
Very slow paced but perfect for a high school student or college student. It's difficult to request days off or have an emergency and can't come in...
Pros
Free Membership, Free child care
Cons
Cheap equipment, lack of organization, uniform not provided, miscommunication, lack of coverage, low pay, poor management
A very fun place to work.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 22, 2018
Genesis will give you all the tools needed to be successful in the fitness industry. All you need is the dedication and time time to give it all you got.
Ok place to work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 19, 2018
The location I worked at was smaller with not a lot of traffic. It was a daily grind just trying to make ends meet between all the phone calls for new leads, follow ups, prescribing workouts, taking new members through free workouts, and writing daily reports. You are not paid for your time, it is strictly per training hour with clients. To receive any benefits, you must average 35 actual training hours. There was poor management at at the time and you were pretty much on your own to find clients.
Pros
free membership
Cons
lack of advancement and benefits, low pay
Horrible
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 12, 2018
They lied about the job from the start. Had me working over 50 hours. And texted nonstop while I was off work to “network”. They did not tell me it was a flat out sales job. Lied about it being the calls not being cold calls. Employees would harass people from personal phones if that person hung up on them. VERY unprofessional and just horrible place to work.
Terrible kids club director
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 7, 2018
Had a wonderful director but she had to leave for personal reasons. New girl chosen to take her place was on a power trip and exceptionally rude and unprofessional.
Pros
Free membership
Enjoyable place to work
Nursery Staff (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 28, 2018
Its pretty slow paced unless you work the morning rush. Its a great place to work if your still in school and need flexible hours. Great people to work with.
Pros
low stress
Cons
low pay, not many hours
It is a fun environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 8, 2018
The people at the club are great and getting to interact with customers is a great part of the job. the facilities are clean and the staff is friendly. upper management can be unorganized.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
difficult to make changes
Car sales via gym
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 6, 2018
This company only cares about getting people thru the door. Not connecting and helping people achieve their goals. You are demanded to make a minimum of 80 to 100 calls a day, everyday, without help from the company for contacts. The management only looks out for themselves. If things go wrong it's everyone else's fault when things go right it's the managers achievement. The owners come from car sales so expect to learn how to have a silver tongue and lie to potential customers about fees and pricing. It's a private company so they can change the dues at any notice so you can give one lead a rate and then next a totally different rate. They always about how great they are and not how great the community is, it's about them and the brand over all else. For a fitness company to not care about it's members is disgraceful.
Pros
Free gym membership and facility
Cons
Management, hours, and poor training
Not Healthy Work
Club Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 14, 2018
Long Hours, 60-70 hours a week, no life work balance, Hitting sales numbers was never enough. Always more wanted even though I ran the number one gym in the company. Secretive about career path, promises made and not kept
genesis
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOFebruary 9, 2018
The job is very easy and the people i work with are great! The only thing that I would change about this job is the pay and that the company provides their workers with their work shirts instead of us having to spend money out of our pocket.
Pros
free membership, fun people
Cons
low pay, have to buy own uniform
To little money for the amount of hours worked
Fitness Adviser (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSFebruary 6, 2018
I do not mind working at genesis at all. I have an amazing manager who is a great leader and an awesome boss. I have no problem with working 50+ hours a week, that is not my issue. I just wish I could get paid more as I have a little girland a wife with twins on the way! I just want something to provide for my family because my family was never able to provide for me. However, as far as the gym and management itself, I have no complaints.
Cons
Low salary
Great Gym
Nursery Worker (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSFebruary 6, 2018
This is a great gym with multiple classes to partake in. All Workers are trained and certified in what they do. They have a Nursery for people with kids and a juice/ snack bar. This is a great new gym to join.