Genesis Health Clubs Employee Reviews

Became Moreno about money less about people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 17, 2019
Treat employees better and get better return. You can’t build a bigger business while doing less for employees. I don’t see this scaling much further.
Pros
Get to do something you love
Cons
Make average money and don’t hit outrageous goals
A good job
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMarch 25, 2019
Job wasn't bad. Training people was fun and being able to help people. There was a lot of no shows for the initial clients which sucks because during the free sessions is where you have to get your clients.
Pros
flexible work
Cons
no base and a lot of no shows
Goods and Bads of Corporate Gym
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMarch 24, 2019
Like most big gym companies, Genesis takes around/over half of your earnings and pays you out after you complete each session. Good is being a big gym there is a larger pool for clients.
Fitness And Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 18, 2019
Spent a couple years after college working at Genesis Health Clubs. I would teach tennis with a team of instructors and lead the students in athletic exercises. Everyone that I worked with and met while at Genesis Health Club had a great attitude and an outstanding personality.
#1 WORST place for a Personal Trainer to work
Personal Trainer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Broken arrow, ok and Tulsa, okMarch 8, 2019
At Genesis Health Clubs, as a personal trainer, they expect you to come in early in the morning and stay late into the day, with absolutely NO COMPENSATION WHATSOEVER. You are expected to sign up ALL your own clients, while the "fitness manager" gets to decide who gets the new clients that sign up or if he or she will even give them to you at all. I seriously think the Better Business Bureau would find some serious ethics issues if they investigated Genesis.
Pros
choose your own hours
Cons
average first month salary is 100-200 dollars.
Run, do not work here
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 1, 2019
The owners are billionaires who care absolutely nothing about the money you earn, you, your family, your lifestyle or your future. You will work a lot, make low wages and have expensive benefits.
The saddest part is that with the financial ability of these three brothers who own this company, they could create an incredible and successful culture, but they have absolutely chose not to invest in the people who work for them. This is a cash cow for the Steven Brothers and a couple of executives. What a waste. They gave you an employee handbook that promises paid vacation days that never come- they don't have you sign time sheets, as you are forced to work numerous overtime hours. They make you go out in the street like a pan handler to get phone numbers from people you don't know. They force you to phone the same people over and over again, violating the 'do not call list.' And when you go out in the field, you have to use your own gas in your own car. Check with local government agencies regarding their non payment of overtime. It's amazed they haven't gotten sued over this. So, my advice is to run. Ok, you get a free gym membership, but when you work for them, you don't have a chance to use it. Also, with all this, the worse part is that you are cheating the people by overcharging them. Some people pay zero down, some pay $50 down, some $200 down, they charge different rates for the same service- which seems to not even be legal. They just get whatever they can out of you.
Pros
Gym pass
Cons
No overtime pay. Excessive hours. Very low pay.
Horrible people to work for
Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 14, 2019
From the top down they don't care about their employees and it's obvious when you look for it. I didn't even get paid until I threatened to file a lawsuit against them. I had worked for 5 weeks without seeing a dime, by the end of week 5 I left to do manual labor again to catch up on all the bills I had defaulted on, my credit score is still hurting from all the missed bills.
Pros
None at all, even the free gym was so gross I never used it
Cons
Where do I begin?
Job Requirements
Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 10, 2019
The Personal Trainer position at Genesis Health Clubs is flexible to your needs. You work entirely off of commission. This means that you get to choose how much you make based off of the time you spend with clients. You also get to choose your own schedule. That being said, if you're not willing to put in the work to find and keep clients, this is not the job for you.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Pressure to sell is high. Bonuses are difficult to achieve.
Genesis Health Clubs
Club Manger (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 7, 2019
The work load can be demanding but it is ideal for someone that craves challenges and thrives under pressure. Compensation is competitive but not for everyone it caters to the self sufficient and self driven.
Endless work, little pay
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 23, 2019
I worked in the accounts payable position years ago. I had only one day of training. The job duties were rediculously numerous and way outside of accounts payable. At first there were two of us, the other person was in charge of accounts receivables but they fired her and just had me doing her job as well. Finally they hired another person but put him in charge of just the hockey team stuff and was no help to me. I worked 6 days a week, 10 hour days and was still given more and more tasks. It was a salary position and never paid overtime. When I asked them to hire someone to help, even just part time, they got angry with me. Needless to say, I’m not at all surprised that position is open, I’m only posting this to warn anyone needing a job and considering Genesis. You need to know the truth, ask lots of questions before you take the job.
Fun, relaxed workplace
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 17, 2019
Low pay but not a strenuous job at all. A great job for someone going to college and working part time, but now enough to live off of. It's simply time for me to move onto a more challenging atmosphere.
Low pay
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJanuary 14, 2019
I would not recommend working here unless you plan to be payed low wages and work maximum hours in a job that has not opportunity to move up unless you are willing to work for years at low pay while hoping the guy above you quits. Otherwise if you are in sales you won’t ever make any commission.
Good for college students
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 14, 2019
This is a good place to work while you attend school, whether that be high school or college. Because of their low wages, the lower level positions don't usually attract any long term employees. Which creates a high turnover rate, and a relatively inexperienced staff. Fortunately, you don't need a lot of experience to perform these job functions adequately, which is why the lower level positions are great for students. You also get a free gym membership, which is a nice perk.
Good place to start director experience
Camp Site Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 10, 2019
Great experience working with youth and planning events. Be prepared to meet enrollment numbers with the support of other directors. Willingness to put in the work for the results you want.
Productive and Fun work environment
Personal Training (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 5, 2018
Personal train a couple clients a day.

I learned different exercises/techniques needed to strive in this industry.

My manager was very smart and taught me many things around the gym.

The hardest part of the job was recruiting clients.

Most enjoyable part, was helping others fulfill their goals and working out everyday.
Pros
Nice weight room
Genesis health clubs has the friendliest working staff.
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 5, 2018
If I ever needed help with a task at work, someone was always there to assist me. I learned numerous management skills.
The workplace had a fun but still professional environment, all the members were so kind.
The hardest part of the job was keeping the inventory stocked, but that became easier over time.
Pros
Free gym membership.
Cons
Standing for long hours
Easy place to be at
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 12, 2018
Staff are friendly, members are fun to be around, easy work and easy place to work at. everyone is on the same page and very uplifting and having fun while attacking their own jobs and goals
Pros
friendly, fun environment for every one
Cons
low hours, low payrate not room for advancememnt or aprreciation
Family friendly environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 10, 2018
Workers and members are friendly towards one another know everyone on first name basis and club events help build relationships and show appreciation for both members and employees
Not that fun, extremely stressful
General Manager (Current Employee) –  McPherson, KSOctober 8, 2018
Very little time at home, could use more time off, the GM job is a great job and i enjoyed it. Pay could be a lot better for the insane ammount of time you spend at work
Productive workplace but also a bit laid-back
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSOctober 1, 2018
Quick turnover for Fitness Advisors
A lot of phone calls
Less busy at this location
Staff made it a fun environment
Hours are mostly for 2nd shift