Genesis Health System Employee Reviews

I felt like part of a big team
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILAugust 13, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at Genesis. I really felt like my work mattered. I would have never left if I didn't relocate. It is a friendly and encouraging place to work.
No loyalty
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  SeveralJuly 8, 2019
I worked at Genesis for 21 years and got fired. Seniority means nothing to these people. Very stressful work environment. Genesis is not financially stable so they are cutting corners wherever they can. Staff, supplies, and equipment. They are always short staffed and you don't have the things you need to properly care for patients. It's embarrassing.
Cons
Overall, a great place to work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 2, 2019
I have the basic entry level job but i’m constantly learning, exposes to new studies, and enjoy the poole I work with and the management is overall fair all around. Plus excessive benefits with this company, more than I could even begin to use. If you continue school or plan going to school, Genesis will do what they can to help you, to a reasonable extent.
Horrible corporation that cares about money more than patients.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 19, 2019
I worked there for a year and a half. I loved caring for patients but was consistently disappointed by management. It was quite obvious that both management and the higher bosses cared more about profit than patient care and patient safety.
not terrible
CNA (Former Employee) –  Ansted, WVJune 12, 2019
Not fond of the facility i worked at but when i was working with jan care i went to other genesis facilities that were way nicer and cleaner than the one i worked at
Good opportunity for learning
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 29, 2019
I was allowed sufficient lenience for learning new skills, such as SSIS. I was expected to be a proficient DBA, but was allowed the lenience to learn new skills.
Pros
No micromanagment
Cons
Convenient care is an awful place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Quad CitiesMay 15, 2019
No lunches or breaks even when working 12 hour shifts- you're expected to eat at your desk while you work as numerous sick and coughing people approach you; barely a chance to even go to the bathroom and get in trouble if you're gone too long (even if you're pregnant); Genesis as a whole will throw you into the terrible and unwanted positions if you say you're open to the idea of a job other than what you applied for (that's how I ended up in convenient
care instead of the physicians office I applied for)
Office Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 27, 2019
Genesis good place to work, is because the people you work with, and management, make you feel like you are apart of team, are concerned about your well being.
Pros
Positive work place, co workers, management
Cons
Increase in cost of living
Horrible training, unrealistic expectations with basically no training
Insurance Verification Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 16, 2019
Training is little to none, expectations are high after receiving horrible training. Work environment is negative and lots of two faced employees. Supervisor has her favorites and it shows.
Low pay
Patient Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  IowaApril 5, 2019
Employees treated poorly.
Over worked.
Not paid enough for the work required.
Not appreciated by Supervisors.

The only good about the dept I'm in is the flexibility.
horrible work environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 7, 2019
Completely mismanaged! Genesis has no concern for patient care as they continue to add more and more unrealistic expectations to an already short nursing staff. Every week something new added to the long list of expectations without any feedback/concern from the nursing staff who actually do the job. Some managers are hired and cannot even take a patient if staff needs help or nowhere to be found on high acuity days. Seasoned nurses leaving in droves. It was insane and unsafe not only for the patients but for your nursing license. DO NOT WORK HERE!!
I was intern
CPE Chaplain Intern (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 19, 2019
I only worked a short time as intern, unpaid. Hospital was going through a restructuring with moving some unit to another building. Lack of transparency created an unhealthy work environment.
Great facility and company!
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  DeWitt, IAFebruary 8, 2019
I have been working with Genesis for a little less than a year, and it has been a great experience. I am a CNA and I absolutely love my job and would not trade it for the world. I love my coworkers, they make work more enjoyable when I am having a not so great day. Being a CNA, has motivated me to further my education and my management has made it clear that I will do great things in the future!
Excellent experience
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 4, 2019
I learned quite a bit at genesis health system. The people who trained me made me feel comfortable with the new skills they taught me. They gave me time to understand the various new things I was being taught, I was given many chances to practice the new skills. Such as taking vitals like blood pressure, temperature, pain scale, and oxygen. I was also trained in BLS and how to take a blood sugar.
Negative culture, poor management, favoritism runs rampant
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 25, 2019
Little interest in staff wellbeing. Zero work/life balance, management looks out for #1, nurses expendable. Pto routinely denied. New “orange frog” positivity forced down staff throats while management pulls staff aside and yells at them to “be positive”. Cancels education In leu of “budget” concerns. Swings from maditory extra shifts to not working status. Squeeze staff due to budget concerns and continue to have extravagant yearly meetings and spend big money on orange frog training. Change shifts without notice or explanation. Blast competition.
Pros
Moderate size hospital, quality surgeons
Cons
Poor management, negative environment
Productive workplace
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aledo, ILOctober 23, 2018
Genesis is a great workplace. While being an employee, you always feel like a family. Everyone is so nice and does their best to ensure everyone is safe
Co workers were great. Manager all about advancing himself
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 11, 2018
Worked 15 years. Was terminated by a temporary manager who was in the department 6 months. Permanent manager was a bully who is allowed to treat staff however he wants upper management does not believe staff about how he treats staff.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Management & HR take care of each other not staff
HOSPICE/VNA LIAISON (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 20, 2018
Genesis is a great place to work. Unfortunately for me the opportunity that they thought they were going to have never materialized. Managers are important in any job but they are extremely important here as your manager will control your work lif.
Life work balance difficult.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJuly 30, 2018
Full day of visits often requires an average of 2 additional hours of paperwork in the evening. Travel and the time needed between patients not always factored into work day. Rarely had time to stop and eat a meal. Extensive amounts of paperwork.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
long days due to miles traveled and complexity of patients.
horrible management
Insurance Biller (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 25, 2018
Policies are constantly changing with no warning or explanation. They tell you paid holidays, no, they FORCE you to use PTO for every holiday. You can not opt for no pay. If you don't have PTO, you are not allowed to ask for time off, sucks if you're new or a temp. I'm convinced my particular department is winging it at this point. No overtime is ever allowed, no matter how much work needs to be done. On a positive note: We have food whenever we have a new hire. As you can imagine from my review, we had a lot of food! So that's what you can look forward to.
Pros
Free food sometimes, great coworkers
Cons
Management, pay, work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genesis Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight