Genesis Health System Employee Reviews in Davenport, IA

Mixed review
Outpatient representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 26, 2019
Genesis is a great place for employee events and opportunities like baseball games, raffles, etc. but there is no advancement in certain areas of the company and they pay very little for others. The raises are cents not dollars (literally) and a joke in general. Management is great and flexible but execs are full of excuses and cheap.
Overall, a great place to work
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 2, 2019
I have the basic entry level job but i’m constantly learning, exposes to new studies, and enjoy the poole I work with and the management is overall fair all around. Plus excessive benefits with this company, more than I could even begin to use. If you continue school or plan going to school, Genesis will do what they can to help you, to a reasonable extent.
Wonderful environment but short staffed
Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 21, 2019
Any workplace that is short staffed tends to be stressful, but the people that I worked with made the stress and fast pace of the never ending work almost bearable.
Horrible corporation that cares about money more than patients.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 19, 2019
I worked there for a year and a half. I loved caring for patients but was consistently disappointed by management. It was quite obvious that both management and the higher bosses cared more about profit than patient care and patient safety.
Good opportunity for learning
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 29, 2019
I was allowed sufficient lenience for learning new skills, such as SSIS. I was expected to be a proficient DBA, but was allowed the lenience to learn new skills.
Pros
No micromanagment
Office Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 27, 2019
Genesis good place to work, is because the people you work with, and management, make you feel like you are apart of team, are concerned about your well being.
Pros
Positive work place, co workers, management
Cons
Increase in cost of living
Horrible training, unrealistic expectations with basically no training
Insurance Verification Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 16, 2019
Training is little to none, expectations are high after receiving horrible training. Work environment is negative and lots of two faced employees. Supervisor has her favorites and it shows.
horrible work environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 7, 2019
Completely mismanaged! Genesis has no concern for patient care as they continue to add more and more unrealistic expectations to an already short nursing staff. Every week something new added to the long list of expectations without any feedback/concern from the nursing staff who actually do the job. Some managers are hired and cannot even take a patient if staff needs help or nowhere to be found on high acuity days. Seasoned nurses leaving in droves. It was insane and unsafe not only for the patients but for your nursing license. DO NOT WORK HERE!!
I was intern
CPE Chaplain Intern (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 19, 2019
I only worked a short time as intern, unpaid. Hospital was going through a restructuring with moving some unit to another building. Lack of transparency created an unhealthy work environment.
Excellent experience
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 4, 2019
I learned quite a bit at genesis health system. The people who trained me made me feel comfortable with the new skills they taught me. They gave me time to understand the various new things I was being taught, I was given many chances to practice the new skills. Such as taking vitals like blood pressure, temperature, pain scale, and oxygen. I was also trained in BLS and how to take a blood sugar.
Negative culture, poor management, favoritism runs rampant
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 25, 2019
Little interest in staff wellbeing. Zero work/life balance, management looks out for #1, nurses expendable. Pto routinely denied. New “orange frog” positivity forced down staff throats while management pulls staff aside and yells at them to “be positive”. Cancels education In leu of “budget” concerns. Swings from maditory extra shifts to not working status. Squeeze staff due to budget concerns and continue to have extravagant yearly meetings and spend big money on orange frog training. Change shifts without notice or explanation. Blast competition.
Pros
Moderate size hospital, quality surgeons
Cons
Poor management, negative environment
Co workers were great. Manager all about advancing himself
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 11, 2018
Worked 15 years. Was terminated by a temporary manager who was in the department 6 months. Permanent manager was a bully who is allowed to treat staff however he wants upper management does not believe staff about how he treats staff.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Management & HR take care of each other not staff
HOSPICE/VNA LIAISON (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 20, 2018
Genesis is a great place to work. Unfortunately for me the opportunity that they thought they were going to have never materialized. Managers are important in any job but they are extremely important here as your manager will control your work lif.
horrible management
Insurance Biller (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 25, 2018
Policies are constantly changing with no warning or explanation. They tell you paid holidays, no, they FORCE you to use PTO for every holiday. You can not opt for no pay. If you don't have PTO, you are not allowed to ask for time off, sucks if you're new or a temp. I'm convinced my particular department is winging it at this point. No overtime is ever allowed, no matter how much work needs to be done. On a positive note: We have food whenever we have a new hire. As you can imagine from my review, we had a lot of food! So that's what you can look forward to.
Pros
Free food sometimes, great coworkers
Cons
Management, pay, work/life balance
Loved working for Genesis
Cancer Registrar (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 10, 2018
Genesis Medical center was an awesome place to work. If my position had not been eliminated I would have never left the organization. I had an amazing boss and she was very fair at all times.
Pros
Enjoyed the organization
Cons
wages
Regional health care job
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 5, 2018
My role provided many opportunities to learn and grow within a regional non-profit health system. Each day brought new and unpredictable challenges. .
Organized, efficient, friendly and professional place to work
Emergency Room RN (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 22, 2018
A very efficient, friendly and professional place to work. Many opportunities for career change as well as advancement. I would recommend Genesis Health System to anyone looking for a job in the Healthcare field.
Pros
Wonderful, helpful co-workers
Cons
Sometimes mandatory long hours
Always short
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 20, 2018
Always short staff, more patient's than I could handle. Mandated most weekends. Mandated even if you have school in the morning. Alot of suck ups to the boss unfair achievement and special standard's for those people
Pros
Discounts on food and coffee
Cons
Short staff, low wages
Overall Good Place
Telemetry Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 28, 2018
Work is fast paced, especially on certain units, but within those units you develop rapport with fellow personnel. Had a great manager. Compared to other hospitals, wages were less than desirable, but livable in the Midwest.
Pros
Hours were manageable
Cons
insurance options, wages
Fun Work Place
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 25, 2018
The environment was always good and I always had good team work when I was there. The the staff was encouraging and always pushing me forward to better myself in the job.
Pros
Paycheck deductions for lunches etc.
Cons
short staffed at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genesis Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight