Genesis Health System Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

No loyalty
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  SeveralJuly 8, 2019
I worked at Genesis for 21 years and got fired. Seniority means nothing to these people. Very stressful work environment. Genesis is not financially stable so they are cutting corners wherever they can. Staff, supplies, and equipment. They are always short staffed and you don't have the things you need to properly care for patients. It's embarrassing.
Cons
Negative culture, poor management, favoritism runs rampant
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 25, 2019
Little interest in staff wellbeing. Zero work/life balance, management looks out for #1, nurses expendable. Pto routinely denied. New “orange frog” positivity forced down staff throats while management pulls staff aside and yells at them to “be positive”. Cancels education In leu of “budget” concerns. Swings from maditory extra shifts to not working status. Squeeze staff due to budget concerns and continue to have extravagant yearly meetings and spend big money on orange frog training. Change shifts without notice or explanation. Blast competition.
Pros
Moderate size hospital, quality surgeons
Cons
Poor management, negative environment
Co workers were great. Manager all about advancing himself
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 11, 2018
Worked 15 years. Was terminated by a temporary manager who was in the department 6 months. Permanent manager was a bully who is allowed to treat staff however he wants upper management does not believe staff about how he treats staff.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Management & HR take care of each other not staff
Supportive
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, IAJune 27, 2018
The company is supportive toward nurses, there is ample opportunity to grow personally and professionally. The leadership in my area is quick to recognize employees and support efforts to advance education or certification, with reimbursement. The administration is available to staff. Our culture is patient focused and safety driven. I have the autonomy to go about my daily routine and schedule the necessary meetings or classes.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
salary
Supporting upper management
RN (Current Employee) –  Zanesville, OHJanuary 27, 2018
Becomes your family. Supportive nurturing environment for new grads and nurses new to company. Friendly and supporting management who promote and support success and development of staff
Pros
Shared governance
Cons
Hard work
Nurse
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALAugust 31, 2017
Terribel management, greatly understaffed, exhausted staff from covering all holes in schedules. lack of consistent administration. lack of adequate staffing ratio to provide appropriate care. Has Potential if they can find someone who is strong enough to take it on and move it forward
Pros
none to mention
Cons
lack of leadership, lack of adequate staff, consistent badgering and overworkign of employees
Tired of getting mandated working stressful overtime and overload on patients assignments
RN (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 20, 2017
Not only do we have to pick up mandatory hours on top of our usual stressful schedule, but we also get mandated to work up to a 16 hour shift and then return to work 8 hours later for another shift. There is no surprise that most RN's are leaving this hospital due to it being poorly understaffed and the existing staff having to be mandated working stressful exhausting over time hours and then having to pick up extra hours on top of that. Ever since working here I have not had a night full of adequate sleep-- my life and work balance is nonexistent and I have never been stressed out this much before. I am too tired to do the things that I enjoy doing outside of work and I rarely have enough time to myself now that we're all getting mandated and having to pick up hours. Management cares more about making money than about nurse's safety and sanity. Nurses are overworked and underpaid here. Too many mandates and too many mandatory pick up hours. You will not have a regular or social life if you come to work for this company.
Cons
Understaffed, too many mandates, working overtime
My experience with Genesis
RN (Current Employee) –  Silvis, ILApril 19, 2017
I think 40 years of service about sums it all up. I love my job. I love taking care of people. My leader is very supportive of my role and helps me succeed whenever I have a need or she sees me struggle. She is also very interested in my home life and helps make sure that my home and work life have balance. Genesis also makes sure that we have the learning opportunities to stay current in our role.
Pros
Family atmosphere, great 401K, Benefit package
Cons
Healthcare is an always changing field
Worst treatment I've ever received in 20 years of nursing!
RN (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAApril 11, 2017
Poor non existent training, no follow up, no training, no support by management. I was thrown out into an environment where your priority is the administrators! Advocating for patients is the last priority!!! Being popular and kissing butt is your only survival in this hostile hospice environment! Lots of turnover due to lack of good manager, educator and supervisors!!! Avoid this place!!!
Pros
Techs do a great job!
Cons
Poor treatment of nursing staff
OK place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 24, 2017
Pay is not the best for RN, and they do not take in consideration seniority when transferring from a another job tittle, you basically start as a new employee. The people are nice, depending on what floor you work on.
Pros
Nice surroundings
Cons
Bad pay
Genesis nurse
Registered Nurse (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJuly 10, 2016
The stress at Genesis was very prevalent. Nurses had heavy workloads and were often forced to stay past their shift. Management was not supportive of staff.
Pros
Cons
poor staff support