Genesis Rehab Services Employee Reviews

They will make you travel unpaid!
PTA (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLNovember 26, 2018
Management in rehab at Largo is poor. Poor and inconsistent communications as well as caseloads. If bag and drag patients is your thing this is the place for you! Nursing staff is overworked and stressed and you will be dressing and changing soiled clothing on your own! Rehab potential of patients are poor but they will max out the 90 days or until they die, go back to the hospital or go home(few)! You will be committing career suicide here as we were closed for a year and only have a few patients on caseload and a very poor reputation in the community(not genesis but consulate)! I would ask for 40/hr if you are crazy enough to work at this consulate building as a PTA! The company has not given out raises for 4 years as well!
Pros
Cons
Toxic atmosphere, poor management, overworked CNA's and Nurses!
Genesis is only concerned with the bottom line
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  USADecember 10, 2018
They do not value their employees and care little about quality rehabilitation. They want you to evaluate and treat patients who are not appropriate candidates for therapy. Genesis does not pay their employees well and do not offer raises. Additionally, they have you ask for PTO 3-6 months in advance and only offer 35 hours per week. They also do not offer a competitive benefits package.
It was good for a first job and gave me an opportunity to gain experience, however I do not recommend working for them.
Pros
Free CEUs
Cons
Terrible healthcare plans, no matching on 401K, "Use it or lose it" PTO
Excessive productivity and decreased pt care
PTA (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 22, 2018
You put your heart and sole into your profession and the company beats you down to a pulp. They take and take until you have nothing left to give. One earns PTO, but unable to use earned PTO's because it's not within dept budget and productivity is greater than 90% with concurrent and group sessions. You can only take 1-2 weeks vacation within an entire year regardless of accursed time for service. No job security and knock you down from 40 hours to 35 hours weekly and work you overtime when they are short staffed. You get paid two holidays and they make you work one and guilt you into everything. No support from management because they are going after their bonus and they make you feel like they are doing you a favor. Cut throat and uncaring.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Not able to use PTO
Support from immediate Co-workers keep the department grounded
Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 15, 2018
Genesis Rehabilitation Services used to emphasize the importance of a patient needs/driven approach to rehabilitation. Genesis Rehabilitation Services has now turned to a cut throat business/financially driven approach based on payer sources, productivity standards, and financial advancement needs of upper management.
Pros
Co-workers, flexibility
Cons
No 401k match, no salary increase, no advancement opportunities
Stressful environment
Rehab Team (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 23, 2018
Coworkers are great.
Most therapy gyms well equipped.
Available free CEU hours and general discipline specific education through company website.
Computer system updated regularly.
Middle management available to team members via telephone and email.

Company pushes for unrealistic percent of productivity. Dollars and cents come before anything else.
Inadequate computer and systems training given to new employees.
Very difficult to use accrued PTO days. Managers not held to the same rules as everyone else.
Two holidays plus 5 extra PTO days. Good policy, since not all workers celebrate similar holidays.
Health insurance is ridiculously expensive per paycheck with very high deductibles. Only affordable for single worker. The cost differential for married employee or employee with children policy is unacceptable.
No company uniforms provided, nor monetary compensation for expected dress code.
Very little to no room for advancement.
No wage increases in over 5 years.
Managers eligible for monetary bonus, based upon everyone else's work, performance, budget goals. Everyday workers excluded from receiving any bonus whatsoever.
Good Place for first job
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAAugust 26, 2018
Good place to learn some new skills, however lacks the ability to advance your career with proper compensation. Certain employees are hard to work with and are very arrogant. Management favors certain employees for scheduling. Lack of holidays off and paid regular time on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Very flexible
Director of Rehab (Current Employee) –  Bennington, VTSeptember 12, 2018
The atmosphere is a great place to work. The benefits could be better however the company is very flexible with hours and time off. There are many opportunities to advance your knowledge with their own company based education System. They also have many programs for therapist to advance even if they do not want to go into management.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Benefits could be better
Fast paced in an ever changing environment
Director of Rehabilitation (Current Employee) –  PADecember 18, 2018
As a rehab director with 50-60% productivity expectations, days can be long. Management is responsive. Need to be flexible in skilled nursing as there are constant changes. I'll always enjoy time away from the reports and emails to care for the patients!
Pros
As a DOR, job security.
Cons
No pay increase in 4 years.
...RUN AWAY...The teams are great. Corperate and area managers are a joke
Rehab Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSNovember 27, 2018
It began as my dream job. I loved it. But starting off i had to bail them out of being 3 months behind on their documentation audits report. But once caught up it was fun and rewarding until the job shiftoccurred. They slapped efficiancy on the teams on top of productivity. Turning patients into numbers and therapists into assembly line workers. They gave more and more of my duties to the managers then assumed i could have a productivity level too. Expectations were ridiculous. I had to justify my own bathroom usage because I was over my projected time by 10 minutes (because filing documentation is totally predictable with such a fluctuating caseload). So imagine being on your period and having to explain that to your boss because area manager just cant fathom that changing your female hygiene product takes a couple minutes. Its embarrassing. Again, the teams were amazing. But the upper management wants to run it like a therapy conveyor belt and quality of therapy suffers because of it. Patients are picked up to the census at ALFs for any reason just to meet quotas. I guess when you buy up failing rehab companies with pending lawsuits and your stock shares drop from 7$ or 8$ a share to a failing 1$ you're probably doing something wrong. They behave like a sinking ship and I'm glad I got out when I did. I have a new job making almost twice as much for the same amount of work. This place is a joke... RUN.
Pros
Flexible hours, supportive immediate staff, decent benefits
Cons
Worked through my breaks. Area management is clueless, non competitive pay, poor overall management, poor patient care quality
No raises ever!
Physical Therapist Assistant (Licensed) (Current Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 17, 2018
I have been with this company in one way or another for years and I have never heard of a raise. Your experience good or bad will depend on your locations director. If they are terrible, your experience will be. They pay relatively fairly.
Cons
no raises

Want to know more about Genesis Rehab Services?

Ask a question
Great therapists, unfair company
Staff Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  NHSeptember 28, 2018
PTO was extremely difficult to get as you need to ask ~6 months in advance but they did not have to approve this. The final straw was when I asked for my summer vacations, the manager did not approve either one because he was taking a vacation at the same times as I requested. Hours are cut frequently and you need to use PTO to make a paycheck. When you leave the company , they did not pay you your earned time off like other companies do. Productivity expectation was higher than normal and again therapists were pushed to tx patients when they were acutely ill. I have been working for other companies since and the level of professionalism, compensation and respect they give their employees is refreshing. There are much better paying jobs and work environments out there. This company needs a union for its employees
Pros
Working in your field of interest, good therapists
Cons
Pto, salary
Stressful
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Easton, MDOctober 7, 2018
Genesis is a large rehab company that is going through a lot of changes. Genesis is not the premier company they once were. Genesis has not given raises in 4 years or 401K matches.
Pros
large company
Cons
No raises or 401K match
cut throat, bottom dollar, un-loyal company
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2018
I have worked for Genesis for 5.5 years. It was a dream company and job for a long time, and recently has had new CEO and undertaken other failing rehab companies. To compensate for their loss, sick time is not allowed to be taken without doctor note, vacation is not allowed to be taken unless given lengthy time in advance. Management is more than a joke. DORs are salaried and lazy. The last two sit on the clock and watch TV, go treat other places while clocked in, or not show up but to clock in and out despite reporting to area director and HR MULTIPLE times. My hours have been cut because PTAs are cheaper than PTs and I was told this, but I was also told they would "let me" work more than my standard hours when they needed me, but would not let me take more than 15 hours a week of vacation even if I normally work more than that. Co-workers are awesome, but management is seriously running this company to the ground and expecting treating therapist to start treating 2 patients at once before it is legal.
Pros
awesome co-workers, great patients
Cons
poor management, no room for growth, no loyalty to senior therapists
Things have changed over the years
Registered Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 3, 2018
They have cut out a lot of benefits over the years and are on a raise freeze. Productivity standards can be unrealistic and they want you to write out full paragraphs on an ipad.
Pros
Good vacation time for seasoned therapist
Cons
No raises
Okay company
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 23, 2018
This is a competitive company, but the employee experience is driven by each Regional Manager. There is pressure to have high productivity, regardless of paper work to be done. Expectation from the company was for us to work during most holidays at regular pay. Working in nursing homes is difficult in general. What makes a difference is your immediate co-workers, who can be like a second family. This is an okay company, typical of most companies out there who specialize in nursing homes.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Cons
Mediocre benefits. Expectation is to maintain high productivity regardless
Not employee nor patient centered
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  New EnglandMarch 16, 2018
When I started with Genesis it was very employee centered. Unfortunately over the years it has become less so. There have been pay cuts, hour cuts, benefit cuts and wage freezes. We are constantly being told how to treat patients and for how long, regardless of whether it's clinically appropriate. Forced to do groups and concurrent treatment. Micro managed at every level. Have to request time off 6 months in advance but due to the formula genesis uses, that there can be no more than 7% of total staff hours reported, it is impossible to take off the time we are entitled to. If you leave for a better job they will not pay you for vacation time you accrued. There is no incentive to remain a loyal employee. Program managers are getting burned out and turnover is high in that position due to lack of proper support. The company spends all its money buying other businesses instead of investing in its employees.
Pros
Comprehensive free online CEU library, dedicated therapists
Cons
Terrible work life balance, low pay, no raises or bonuses, lousy vacation time policy
Small department with lack of equipment
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 22, 2018
Most enjoyable:
Great patients.
Good working relationship with CNAs and other non-supervisory staff.
Most difficult:
Uncomfortable work environment: too hot, stuffy
Low salary with no pay raises this year.
Unrealistic productivity expectations.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor communication
There are other companies.
physical therapist (Current Employee) –  New EnglandJanuary 2, 2019
I have worked for Genesis for several years, in several different buildings. Every facility does differ because of management, caseload mix, colleagues, etc. Although I knew my salary was less than other companies, I was dedicated to the professionals and patients that I worked with. I cannot stress enough that it was people I worked with that kept me at the job, and NOT Genesis!!!! We are called "teammates" to make us feel that we were really part of a team. However, this couldn't be further from the truth, so it feels condescending to many therapists. Upper management places much pressure on DORs and can be notoriously vindictive to staff and DORs. I know several people who have resigned or complained about upper management, but it fell on deaf ears.

There has not been a salary increase in years. You have to request time off 6 months in advance, then maybe you'll hear if you were approved, or maybe you won't. Even to get just one day off, it has to go to the area director (going through 2 levels of management which shows you how little control the 'director of rehabilitation has).' Productivity requirements continue to increase. Therapists are being 'spoken to' if they do not meet productivity for the day/week. Newer therapists/assistants are very stressed about this. Isn't Genesis fostering an environment for fraud if therapists are fearful of getting in trouble if they don't bill what's expected... even if the expectation is unrealistic? Patient's are coming in rehab much sicker and medically complex than just a couple of years ago, so
  more... things happen during the day that is out of the therapists control. Upper management will tell therapists what to do with patients, including putting them into groups that are not always appropriate or for the patients benefit.

New therapists are being hired and promised that they will be mentored. I witnessed a new COTA hired and promised that she would be mentored (by an area director who is on the board of a professional organization), yet the therapist received no mentorship at all. The staff OTs I worked with took the time to work with her because they didn't want to see her fail. This only stressed them out because they had to worry about their productivity while they were taking the time to help her!

The trend is to start utilizing assistants to do all treatments and the registered therapists are only performing paperwork. In buildings with high turnover, registered therapists are having a difficult time keeping up with paperwork and meeting 'productivity requirements.' Often, registered therapists are working through lunch (even though they are told they shouldn't because they need the break). But, if they didn't work through lunch, they were unable to keep up with everything that was expected. If there is not enough work, the registered therapists are notified that they are being sent home first (more expensive than assistants).

I once enjoyed working for Genesis and felt that I was learning and contributing to patient's lives. However, the has significantly changed over the past several years. There are many great, caring, clinicians at Genesis. The emphasis from corporate Genesis is not directed at quality patient care, but by how much $$$$ they are making. Although I have met so many incredible people/therapists, the culture/environment of Genesis has certainly grown increasingly vindictive.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
vindictive management, focus on $$$
Poor management and support of staff
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJJuly 31, 2018
Difficulty in meeting requirement for productivity when limited patient on case load. Travel needed in order to meet productivity requirements. Poor benefits and no increase in cost of living for past 3 years.
Pros
peers
Cons
pay, benefits, management
Not bad
Therapist (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 16, 2018
Not bad, decent PTO, realistic productivity expectations, mentorship program for new hires, lots of CEUs available. It has declined over the past couple years, with less perks and more expectations without raises (pay freeze).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genesis Rehab Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight