Gensler
58Below average

Gensler Employee Reviews

United States127 reviews
Was there as a temp and found the experience ok. The Principles were mediocre the teams were hard working.
Overall if I had a choice to go full-time I would pass.
Gensler is the kind of place to work for a short period as a stepping stone in your career. Bullying among management is not uncommon. Great culture among the underlings but would not recommend if you’re after longer term career progression
Pros
3x bonuses a year in UK
Cons
No corporate governance, (private company), so little accountability where management is concerned, bullying not uncommon, 3x CEOs resulted in a lack of clear strategic direction
It’s a fact that Gensler pumps out great work. While it is a great learning environment for junior to intermediate professionals, if you are not ‘anointed’ early on, then you remain a cog in the machine, with no chance to move up within the organization. Traits that get recognized and rewarded are aggression, dishonesty, and abusive leadership
Pros
Great learning environment.
Cons
Not the place for long term professional growth for 80% of staff.
Gensler has diverse project type and talented designer. They focus on employee grow and continue professional education. The work/life balance is good with good employee benefit

The only thing I see room for improvement is there is too much office politic. Sometime, office politic can impact people's motivation. Your promotion is not too much about your performance, but it is depends on who you know in the company.
I was extremely disappointed with my experience at this company and how they manage things. I honestly have no words of how bad my experience was. I don't know how they became a top place to work.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
The bigger the branch, the better you’ll be! Washington, San Francisco, New York are great locations to work.
They are great on diversity but sadly very elitists. Management isn’t as transparent as they say they are.

I was sadly disappointed
My time at Gensler was great. there is a reason why a lot of people come back to work for this company. Not just the pay but the culture, diversity, and innovation.
Great opportunities in many practice areas, which I found most do not take advantage of. Finally achieved balance of design and technical knowledge and more base building and ground up work.
Pros
See review comments.
Cons
Difficult promotion track process.
Come and work just for money and not for achievement, and do not expect more than that. Be prepared to be frustrated and exhausted, with little sense of respect, especially for intern and junior
Kind and generous people fun workplace. People would always have fun stuff to do. There's always food everywhere. Very nice workplace cultivates creative senses.
Racist activity. Worse company to be in. This office has nothing to do with gensler.
Don't trust HR. Layoffs are very common and they do it very unethical. No severence package presented. Managers are unprofessional and they have big egos. They could fire you without notice and not give you anything to prove they ate wrong.
My time here was well spent, and what I learned will carry me for a lifetime. My workday consisted of managing all of the consultants as well as internal meetings and large scale meetings with consultants.
Working at Gensler has been a positive experience for my career. As an intern, I was exposed to different techniques and experience that has improved my skills and communication. At Gensler, they care about what their interns think about and allow us to give our opinions.
Management needs lessons in managing.
Most of them lack the skills to manage an office of 80 people but are wanting to grow in size which is going to cause more issues. Very few people have a voice. Those that do don't need it!
Gensler is a great place to get exposure to lots of clients and learn from industry leaders, especially early in your career. If you have transferrable skills in strategy or graphic design, I would caution staying longer than 3-4 years, though, as there is little room for innovation and career advancement. There are a ton of social events, but the actual "work culture" is very hierarchical despite claiming to be "flat" and there is no room to fail forward, continuously learn, or really be pushed out of your comfort zone.
Great Benefits: Full Medical, Dental, and Vision, for employee and family. Great Work-Life balance: Flexible schedule. Great environment and culture: Lots of perks to make employees life and work easier. Learning and growth opportunities Great open door policy: management is accessible and willing to assist at all levels.
My current supervisor is terrible. All other aspects are okay, They have a great culture with the exception of my current supervisor, whom you can never please.
The have many work events to break up your day and keep the workplace enjoyable. There are busy times where you will be working hard but the staff is very friendly and help each other out.
A Senior Design Manager at Gensler works with autonomy to be responsible for execution of a variety of project types and sizes and will lead all phases of projects. He or she will be involved in all phases of the project delivery and must have a working knowledge of this process with the ability to deliver the successful completion of a project. A Design Manager will work/interact with and mentor junior staff to encourage a high level of design and ensure client satisfaction through being the main point of contact for the client in all work produced.

Management practices, styles, and expectations vary.

The culture of the office is by far makes it the most amazing place to work!
Pros
The culture/people
Cons
Expectations beyond the typical work day or work/life balance
Its the cool kids club. they think they are "gensler" Too many discrepancies among firmwide standards taught and what the project managers want to drive forward. waste of time
At first the job seems to be awesome and enjoyable, but there is a lot of pressure and favoritism between people and leadership.
I also had discrimination for people as well as bullying if you are not talking with popular people or people that has been there the longest.

It’s a place for people that has an interior design background and not architecture as they do not have enough projects in core and shell.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gensler. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.