Genuine Parts Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
Office Management (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Have worked for this company for the past 20 years. The original company was bought and sold three times from 1999 to 2009 when Genuine Parts Company purchased it The same personnel and local management have been the same until the last few years when retirements began.
It is a great company to work for, excellent benefits.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Poor communication from corporate managment
GPC Leadership
Vice President of Process Improvement (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 24, 2017
Old School sales mentality. 440K SKU's offered but only a handful are actually sold. Trying to be everything to everybody. In the process of rethinking the strategy but slow to change.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Need to look at the business stratigicly
Just a Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 7, 2017
Old thinking, very political, most have the... just working for a paycheck mentality. High stress, and workload. Upper management is from old industries that failed. They, and their replacements (their rich friend's children or associations) are there to fill a personal need at your cost. Most do not move up in their game. Yet, this is much the way it is in big business.
Benefits?
Cons
No advancement if you want it.
Nice place to work. However the headquarters had moved out of state.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Middletown, CTJuly 8, 2017
This was a third shift computer operations position. No supervisor on staff. A night filled work load always complete by the AM operation hours. I often was piled on by others who failed to complete their job duties during the day. It was fun, a challenge, as well as a learning experience for me during those early days of my IT career.
Pros
Worked at own pace.
Cons
All alone at night. no one else in building.
Purchasing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 28, 2017
Very busy. From time you come in and leave there is always something to get done. I have learned many things in purchasing. How to handle 100 different vendors and ordering thousands of parts on a day to day basis. Having a good relationship with vendors and learning agreement needs.
The work place is a very corporate atmosphere.
The best part of the job is communicating with different parts of the company to get product to customer in a timely manner.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
Too much corporate atmosphere not enough of knowing your employees and what they do
Very stable
Human Resources Mgr (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 3, 2017
Best place to grow. Stability is the one reason I enjoy the company. The culture of the employees is that of tenure and a feeling that the company cares
Great benefits
Clerical-Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 13, 2017
I enjoyed my many years at Genuine Parts Company. Talking to our customers everyday , most several times a day to order parts that they needed for their customers. It turned into many friendships over the years. I do feel it is a great company to work for.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
1 Hour lunch to long .
Great management and culture
Contract HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 26, 2016
Considering this being a contract role, I do not have a complete employee experience in my role, however, the environment is a welcome and collaborative one, and management is fair.
Staff Accountant
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GANovember 8, 2016
On an average day you use 4 - 5 different accounting systems to find one answer. Management has been at their positions for decades and while they have a wealth of experience, their view is out dated.
Pros
two paid breaks a day, lots of learning opportunities
Cons
No room for advancement, managers are staying until they retire, none of the managers have degrees or CPA licenses
Great People
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAOctober 27, 2016
Daily activities include:

Manage customer base
Grow business by increasing revenue with existing customers as well as bringing on new customers.
Very Service oriented business.
Benefits
Cons
No growth Opportunity
Was a better place to work at before it was bought out by GPC.
Customer Service Reprensentative (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DEOctober 18, 2016
Very busy work environment.
Learned a lot about the debit/credit account balance system, mailroom, UPS system (shipping and receiving), bulletin (company) processing and distribution.
Some management personnel were excellent, while others had their little idiosyncrasies such as playing favorites with some employees and making it harder for those not in their favor.
Co-workers for the most part were great.
Hardest part - When introduced to new processes, was expected to pick it up right away, even though it may not have been used on a constant basis.
Enjoyable part - getting to know the newer co-workers and sharing my knowledge of the company, their ways of doing things and such and helping them learn their tasks and showing them the easiest ways to accomplish their tasks within the safest and quickest standards of the work environment.
Pros
No weekends or holidays to work.
Cons
Very little/small pay increases per anum.
Productive work environment. Great place to work.
Garnishment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2016
Productive environment,great camaraderie among staff and supporting departments. A great work environment overall. Awesome Management team and co-workers. Management team does not micro-manage. Ability for advancement highly likely. Abilities and talents are easily recognizable and rewarded.
Cons
Direct hire via employment services.
relaxed enviroment
Parts Professional (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 7, 2016
relaxed atmosphere able to help customer and give them a reason to come back to shop with us advancement is a little difficult to prove youre self to management
Pros
daily relaxed enviroment
Cons
advancement
love my job
IBS Parts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 29, 2016
The hardest part,there isn't a hard part....I love my job. As long as I do it makes it easy for me to come to work every day.I( enjoy the people I work with as long as you have a great team it makes my job easy.
Pros
I have great customers
Cons
Great company to work for
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Apar Center Duluth,Ga.August 26, 2016
Typical work day in the a.r department is very fast paced ,you are busy from the time you clock in until your shift end. Co- workers are very supportive the best group of people I have ever worked with. loved the flex time. No problem with management .The hardest part of A/R is answering green line calls and balancing your collection calls.
Pros
Flexable work schedule, Decent pay, Great benefits
Cons
Non
Great history and very successful
Metro market sales executive (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 14, 2016
Enjoy working with great group of parts professionals.There are many fulltime employees who have worked together for many years. The industry has changed a lot over the last 10 years as has the competition.
Pros
Benfits, leader in the industry
Cons
Downsize mode
good company for hard working people
Counter Person (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 8, 2016
My typical day was finding and supplying part to mechanics.
I have learned a lot about stock and parts for vehicle.
Management were from a distances.
Co-worker come and go depend on their will ability to work and learn of the parts for vehicle.
Hardest part of the job is keeping track of when parts were coming for which mechanic.
The most important and rewarding part of the job in knowing that the mechanic has gotten the right parts.
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
the pay scale should be better
Very productive and efficient place to work
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 31, 2016
I work for a company that is eager to to train and develop all its employees to learn more in the Accounting Department. Company has great morals and beliefs and does whatever it takes to promote from within and to get the job done effectively and efficiently.
Pros
Worker friendly, team oriented, family atmosphere
fast passed
Counter Sales (Current Employee) –  Boonsboro, MDJuly 27, 2016
Helping customers out finding auto parts they need to fix and repair their vehicles, answering phones, computer skills needed, heavy lifting at times, checking in inventory, putting inventory away, some deliveries when busy (local)
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Drama in house
Good company with conservative values, Need to get agressive with competition.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 29, 2016
Management was subject to quotas which were tough to reach due to competitive factors and failure to respond to pricing, inventory issues throughout the company owned stores and independent stores. Quota was the primary basis for evaluation of job performance. I had great communication with management, co-workers and personnel.
Pros
Good company benefits
Cons
Management needs to focus on what customers really need