Geo Reentry Employee Reviews

Poor Management and unprofessional
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2018
The management portrays unprofessional and cut throat behavior. The way the treat certain employees is unacceptable and should be looked in to. The job is stressful, but management should set better examples and create a positive working environment.
Pros
Benefits, Co-Workers
Cons
Poor Management, Treated Unfairly
You must know and respect the Urban Culture to successfully work at the facility.
Operations Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 19, 2018
It is extremely hard to get a promotion due to favoritism and lack of the new management not caring for their staff. Staff are reassigned, lay offs were being enforced with the SAME job description being advertised.
Pros
25 days vacation after 5 years of service.
Cons
You cannot plan personal events due to the mandation process.
Geo reentry
Program Counselor/Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2018
Hardest part of the job is the paper work, job is very quick paced. Human resource staff do not really seem to be on top of things. So you definitely have to pay attention to everything.
Poor
Security Monitor (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAOctober 7, 2018
I will start off and say, there’s good experience by working with residents (inmates) if criminal justice is your field of study then it’s a good stepping stone, but if it is not do not work here because management suck. Management treat the employees bad. This company is horrible. GEO does not know how to run a business. They treated staff like they were nothing. Very unprofessional and low paid for how much work we did.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, Low paid
Nice place to work
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2018
Busy fast paced environment to work in. Friendly, and down to earth staff. It's taught me to be opened minded and non-bias. Change is possible for each individual who is willing to apply themselves.
Poor work ethic
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDSeptember 22, 2018
Prior to the facility changing ownership or changing names the facility in my state was by CEC but same directors and staff was too poor of training, hours were bad due to lack of employee retention and call ins on a daily basis. Worse fact was the staff was majority white and residents were 90% native American so staff treated residents and other non white employees differently and not as equals in the work place. Pay was mediocre 10. An hour. No PTO, or federal holidays or paid federal holiday, or any type of holiday pay.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No breaks, no PTO no federal holidays or holiday pay
Stressful
Certified Substance Abuse Counselor, Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Lumberton, NCSeptember 9, 2018
This is a very stressful work environment because of manager. Manager does not treat all co*workers the same. Manager is controlling type of style No support for employees. Work load is extreme for each person. Needs two more people to support work load. 8 people cover 170 clients in full detail with classes, case management, and counseling. Heavy workload to meet deadlines and client needs.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Lunch is the only break.
Looking to learn new things
Asst. Manager Of Chemicals (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 6, 2018
My current job is decent but I am looking to switch to a more productive work environment. My co-workers are superb, the hardest part is not having enough overtime.
Pros
Safe work environment
Cons
Not enough hours
Very negative work environment
Monitor Tech (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 26, 2018
This place is a whole joke. Enjoyed working with peers but, management was especially Human Resources was very unprofessional. Unsafe they allowed residents to smoke illegal drugs without consequences to any of their actions on a daily basis.
Pros
Paid bi-weekly
Cons
Lack of professionalism
Overall GEO is a great place to work for
Receptionist/Transportation (Current Employee) –  Lawndale, CAMay 29, 2018
Fast paced environment serving parolees getting out of prison, and those already out of prison. Providing safe and clean living conditions, and providing various groups to enable the parolee to function in society.
Pros
low stress
Cons
sometimes there can be up to 10 clients waiting for processing
Joke of a ran down building
Counseloe (Former Employee) –  Arnold, PAMay 17, 2018
The pay rate is horrific considering you are required a degree to be a program counselor. The disrespectful staff and overall lack of support and help from supervisors does not make time easier. Residents are either smoking K2, lying or running the street meanwhile staff considers it to be your fault. Out of 50+ guys, one person will have majority of residents on their caseload while the supervisor gets PTO vacation weeks and 4 work days.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Staff, residents, pay, fear of other coworkers
It's hard at times but ok
Monitor 1 (Current Employee) –  Leavenworth, KSFebruary 27, 2018
if you have a good working crew then your days would go smooth,
The management not bad . At times when you come into work you never know who is working, because you have to many people calling in, and it makes it hard to work without the proper staff.
The best job I have ever had
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR/CO-MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 15, 2018
Of all the jobs I have worked, I have never experienced such a corporate attitude that is so warm generous and caring. I worked there for 5 years and regret the day I left. These people promote and push you to be all you can be with the company.
Pros
Everything. They afforded you to use your creativity and work with autonomy.
Cons
It was contract and the contract ran out..
Not worth it
Monitor (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 3, 2018
GEO is a great place to work if your intetested in the field of criminal justice. There’s good experience by working with residents (inmates) if CJ is not your field of study don’t work here because management suck. Mangement treat the employees bad
Pros
Working with the reentry population
Cons
Too many to name
Stay far away!
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  McFarland, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Terrible management from top to bottom. Lieutenants play hardcore favoritism and will constantly choose you for mandatory overtime over their favorites and never assign you to a favorable duty.

The pay really isn’t that good at all at 14.00 an hour.

I was hired on as a part timer so my pay was lower than full timers and I wasn’t offered any benefits because of that status yet I was forced to continuously work overtime and have more hours than their full time employees.

Do yourself a favor and leave this place alone. You’ll regret ever working at geo.
Pros
None!
Cons
Way too many too list.
Good company
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 24, 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company. The only reason I left is I needed to be able to advance more. Great management team fun environment. Miss this place
Monitor
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 22, 2018
This company is horrible. They don't know how to run a business. They treated staff like they were nothing. Very unprofessional and low paid for how much work we did.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Short breaks, unprofessional, etc....
Good energy!
Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJanuary 7, 2018
I really felt like I could make a difference thru my leading group therapy with supplied (EBT) materials, but soon found there just wasn't enough varying info. It quickly became very redundant.
Pros
"Participants" were very compliant.
Cons
No variation in material.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Eagle County, COOctober 5, 2017
Great stepping stone for a pursuit in Criminal Justice/Management/Judicial System. Could use more support from the Corporate Office and upper management.
Security Management
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXSeptember 20, 2017
Lots of paperwork and multitasking. Learned that all need that extra income. Management is not appreciated. Shifts consist of 24/7. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with audits. However, the shift runs fast due to being busy all day.
Pros
Worked great hours
Cons
Expensive healthcare