George Junior Republic

George Junior Republic Employee Reviews

A great experience
Supervising, regulating, and managing youth activity and behavior during designated activity times and helping to build their social skills and coping mechanisms.
Mismanagement at the top
Horrible mismanagement of time, resources and funding. The state director reported having contracts they did not have, hired people to fulfill contracts for which they didn't get funding violated EEOC and FMLA with several of the staff on my team, I left before the end of my first 90 days.
Do not like the shift changes and the travel.
Usually a good work environment. I learned how to deal with traumatic youths. The hardest part of the job is shift change and the good part of the job is working with youths and trying to teach them how life has ups and downs and how to accept negative criticism and teaching respect towards others.
Summary
Doesn't pay enough.. hours are good. Can work ot.. it's the pay that's the downfall.. for as much money as the facility makes. They don't pay well. And the Christmas bonus sucks
Can be a enjoyable job
Depends on your life situation. The job can be very rewarding and other days it’s stressful. At my current position hey ask a lot of me but offer very little help when I need it
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
The people I worked with are great but...
The people that work direct care at GJR are fantastic. The issue is that management does not care for their workforce at all, and there are definitely some shady dealings going on for it being a nonprofit. No worker is ever good enough for management, and with how much stress the direct care workers go through on a weekly basis, there is little to no appreciation shown from management.
I am experienced in a high volume production environment, recommending equipment and layout changes, leading continuous improvement programs, and usin
This sounds like a good thing to do with children who are likely to be bored if not given things to do that are enjoyable when played with other children. When children do better than other children, they feel real good!
Good place to work if you enjoy helping and working with male youth.
Every day can be different working in this environment and with male youth ages ranging between 7 and 21 years of age. You have to be able to move on from situations that have previously happened.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at George Junior Republic?
Gjr
The nature of the work of GJR is very challenging as you are working juvenile males who have been placed there by the court system. If you have a passion for working in mental health and the juvenile justice system, then it is a great opportunity. If you do not have that passion, then it is not the job for you.
Pros
Housing provided/benefits
Cons
Long hours/Stress
Deception and trickery with overt racism in the Administration
The management is basically like the Trump administration!...many are NOT qualified but hold management positions. THE COMPANY HOUSES MANY CLIENTS OF COLOR BUT NO PERSON OF COLOR WORKS IN MANAGEMENT! The company receives money for clients from different backgrounds but NO diversity in the administration (Several years of observation, No person of color in the administration). No transparency and the administration is very misleading about the company guidelines and procedures.
Pros
Able to assist kids
Cons
Poor management, Poor Administration, Lack of diversity!
Great Work Place
I have worked here for two years now. I have been treated with respect by every boss. Many ways to advance in your career here! From summer jobs, to internships, and full time positions! Love is job!
Not a job for everyone
If you enjoy working with youth ages 8-21 and have lots of patience its a job for you. Not for people who cant handle being yelled at by both kids and management. Work as many hours as you want. Lots of OT. Lack of advancement.
Low pay high stress
The average day consisted of coming into coworkers not doing their job and making it incredibly difficult to uphold the rules. Most of the so called seasoned CM's were over opinionated on how to do things should be done and what is best. Instead of sticking to the SOG. After a year of living with the youth being a CM was easy. Unit the TTC picked and chose what rules to enforce or underminded the imediate decisions by making deals with the youth. Pay was low for what was required. Night staff started at 9. Aids started at 10 or so. Counselor parents 7.46 only paid 12 hours OT a week out of 80. And Clinical managers 15.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Poor leadership. Time off you couldn't use
Working at George Junior help me to lean my landscaping skills for the future I enjoy working in that field and I accomplish a lot working under the wonderful supervisor
Na
A very stressful place. Administration is not supportive of staff. The pay is not compatible with the cost of living. Administrative does not allow staff to properly do their job.
Nice campus with nice facilities
Nice place for work , hate walking the boys in the cold , administrations is way too overbearing. treated with kindness and respect by co workers. Not horrible
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Lack of interest for employees
Good company
Fun place to work. Nice supervisors and great 401k. I only worked night turn so i dont know much about daylight work. Overall i would recommend working here!
Pros
Low salary
Cons
Night shift
Productive and positive work atmosphere
Driving youth to necessary appointments, court hearings etc and supervise family visits.

Management is very positive and nice.

I loved working for George Junior Republic.
Wasn't what was explained
GJR has the potential to be a great place, but laws and rules have forced places like this to pander to the juveniles, families, and cities where the youth come from. From my experence, the youth ruled the roost making your 8, 10, or 16 our shift MISERABLE. I was told at interview that it's shift work, one month at a time, but each manager was flexible and would "work" with us. This was not the case so I had to resign. God Bless all of the hands on workers who get verbally abused each shift!
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
No/little breaks/pay/free meals rarely happened.
At times enjoyable working with the kids. Not so when dealing with upper management.
Work hours are from 6am-10pm. Get students up for breakfast, chores, and medications. Make sure they are dressed properly for school and have all their books and homework. While students are gone, we catch up on daily paperwork and any tasks that may need addressed rather urgently. Prepare lunch. Students arrived back to cottage for lunch and afternoon chores. Walk them back to school for second half. Again catch up on paperwork, and prepare the dinner meal. Students return from school, we provide one on one daily feedback on behaviors good or bad. Training for counselor parents was great, as we were kept abreast of any new changes within the residential treatment program. Kept current on state mandated requirements for working with our troubled youth. Students that routinely misbehaved had to be dealt with promptly, this takes time away from doing other fun things within the home. It is great getting to know the clients and where they're from and any special foods they miss from home.
Management set aside one day per week to check in on their youth. Each home had a different day, these were called Team Meetings. The treatment team would communicate any or all misbehaviors and actions taken for each assigned student to that home. Sometimes the director would state critiques about cottage parent performance.

The hardest part of the job was communication. Things would be agreed upon and instituted without passing the word around to the people who needed it. Or if we had a question about a procedure often times the answer would be "Oh, we changed how we do that
 - more...
Pros
benefits package, living accomodations
Cons
dealing with upper management, unscheduled changes to protocols
stressful.
Your job is at risk everyday over akid deciding that he doesn't like you so he will smke sure you get fired. Very understaffed with very aggressive kids
Ask a question about working or interviewing at George Junior Republic. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.1Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight