George Mason University Employee Reviews

Not Helpful training
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 9, 2018
The training doesn't really help with the job tasks.
Some coworkers are helpful. Mine was not. She stated that she is not paid to be a trainer and to read the manual.
Pros
Earn a degree and have GMU pay for it.
Cons
Long hours.
Well-Being Day
Well-Being Day (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 5, 2018
I volunteered in the year of 2016 with a group of students in the school of business in an activity called Well-Being Day. It’s involved in the development of communication skills, where our group socialized with different students about their professional career aspect and built supportive relationships. It lasted for about seven business days.
great environment
Administrative Staff Assistant7/97 (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 31, 2018
Great group of professionals. Very student oriented and focused on making thing better for the students. Office staff was very pleasant and easy going. Great place to work.
Good College Job
Event and Outdoor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 31, 2018
It had its moments when it could drag on, but it was a stable and good job. Could get homework done while working, and also the staff were very personable.
Gives opportunity in career advancement.
Finance and Grants Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 31, 2018
Diverse culture gives a positive learning experience. Job environment is compared to corporate. Gives opportunity to grow professionally by taking classes.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 29, 2018
Great customer service and admin experience, flexible hours for employees that are also students. Great managers and supervisors, collaborative environment
Very helpful manager who encourages me to strive for the best.
Student Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 28, 2018
Easygoing job but must be alert at all times.
I learned how to work with audio equipments.
The hardest partest of the job is being able to predict the customers needs and desires. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see how satisfied our customers are when they leave.
fast pace, problem solving, supportive environment
Office Assistant - Mason ID (Current Employee) –  Mason Card OfficeOctober 19, 2018
I have had three job with George Mason University. I have enjoyed working in a fast pace environment. I any lucky to have met my bosses and hope to hope to work with them in the future. I have learned a lot problem solving and customer service skills over the past years working on campus.
Didn't actually work here but it made me review
Guest Lecturer (Former Employee) –  RemoteOctober 17, 2018
Was a guest lecturer and not a paid employee. The professor I lectured for is a great friend and he loves working for George Mason University. I recommend looking into it.
University currently in turmoil
University Registrar (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 14, 2018
The university is in turmoil as it takes on too many large initiatives and stressing out the staff who need to implement the initiatives and projects. Administration needs to focus on doing a few things well and then move on to the next goal. A few top leaders are advancing their careers on the back of middle management and do not care who they hurt or injure in the process. For the most part, middle managers and staff are very collaborative and attempt to help each other as they want to be there to help the students.
Pros
time off at the holidays
Cons
administration attempting to take on too many new initiatives-stressing staff
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 10, 2018
Really cool place to work. Have lots of people to interact with. Have many like-minded, talented and smart professors. Learned a lot from them. Interesting things to do.
okay for university jobs
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 1, 2018
Typical university in terms of career opportunities and career advancements. The campus is growing at a good rate but also adds to cost of living and attendance.
Great Part-time job
Mason Life Support Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 1, 2018
Easy flexible hours around my class schedule. The first part-time job I ever had. Definitively recommend it for other students looking for extra cash, but don't want any extra stress.
Stressful and Chaotic
Police Dispatcher aka Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAOctober 1, 2018
Stressful and chaotic place to work. Management is so political they’d cut their nose off to spite their face. Nothing makes sense in how they operate. They treat CO’s like secretaries and then give them almost no respect. The work is hard sometimes. Boring most of the time. No sense of advancement in the future. Definitely don’t promote from within. Local counties pay more. In a nutshell? Overworked, underpaid, not respected, abused, undervalued.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
I worked as an afiliate.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 28, 2018
I really liked to with George Mason because it is a prestigious university where I could learn many technologies and education. I also like the geography department.
Good school
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 22, 2018
It's a good school. nice place to work. At work I sit at a desk and answer calls, help student with any information needed.When the office is not busy, I have time to complete any other work like school that needs to be done.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short lunch breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 18, 2018
Great place
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 3, 2018
GMU is a great place for learning and working. people are respectful and helpful. If you search to find a student job at Gmu, it is easy. There are many programs for student to Studay and work.
Learning new stuff
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 22, 2018
I was participated the research as a volunteer student.

The professor helped me a lot to follow their study.

It was a great experience to participate.
Academic English Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 21, 2018
The staff members were wonderful and supportive. The environment was conducive to teaching and learning as the instructors are able to feel comfortable bringing in new materials in that helps the students learn better.