George Mason University Employee Reviews

Collegial environment but innovations are almost impossible
Adjunct Professor of Real Estate and Urbanism (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 30, 2018
Like most academic institutions, George Mason is becoming increasingly reliant on adjunct faculty to the detriment of its long-term value to students. Programmatic and instructional innovations are almost impossible because tenured faculty are entrenched and see no benefit to themselves. GM is where great ideas for improving higher education go to die.
Productive workplace with new experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 26, 2018
I am a Part-time employee at George Mason Univesity. It's a completely new experience every day interacting with students with challenging questions, which helps me learn new things each and every single day.
Productive and learning everyday
Classroom Lab and Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 26, 2018
Great company great people and gaining experience. I enjoy working for GMU helping out the professors and students. Going into work everyday is a new challenge that I look forward to different challenges everyday.
Great Benefits but mediocre pay
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 24, 2018
I love Mason and the people that I work with. Working on a campus is fun due to the events they have for the students, faculty, and the general public. Wish they paid a little more but the leave is awesome! The best part is that the University closes for 2 weeks for winter break and everyone gets paid vacation time. They offer annual leave, sick & personal days which is very nice.
decent place to work if you're not seeking excitement
Director, Virginia PTAP (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 22, 2018
It is what you make it - opportunities to grow and build relationships with the university and larger community are valuable.
People get promoted for technical / subject matter skills, which means that management as a discipline isn't uniformly developed.
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
$, bureaucracy
Depends on where you work
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 16, 2018
I managed. Some places are absolutely terrible to work at on campus. Some departments really work with you as a student and are flexible, and if you tell them you need more time to study they understand. Some departments penalize you for it or their attitude is that it's your problem and they can't help you. It really depends.
Pros
on campus, close to home, mostly flexible
Cons
management depending on department, often low pay
Mason
Computer Science Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 15, 2018
o Wrote a white paper comparing two software management companies for the client, which was CMS
o Made graphs and a budget analyzing how much CMS can save by switching to ServiceNow (Currently they are using Remedy)
o Learned about a Gartner report
o Worked on coding assignments and learned more skills in C++ and java
Lots of drama within the department but good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 11, 2018
For the most part, staff cared about the students and were engaged in their learning and also their scholastic lives

Pay is very poor

Lots of drama within department
Grad teaching position not a permanent job
Graduate teaching assistant geology (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VA 22030January 1, 2018
This is silly that I have to write a review for this and wish I didn't. This was a grad teaching position and required as part of my degree. No chance for a permanent position.
Pros
Flexible good compensation
Cons
No chance at a permanent position
Organized
Daily forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 30, 2017
This was by far my most valued position. I worked here for three years and enjoyed every second of it. Unfortunately my department went under in order to cut costs for the college.
Adjunct Nutrition Professor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 28, 2017
I work as an adjunct faculty member and find it a great place to work, both in the online community and in the classroom. I have no negative things to say.
GMU is a good school
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 27, 2017
Enjoyed teaching there and was impressed with what they offered the students. They also offered a bonus of one class for free each semester which is great.
Pros
Great School
Cons
the Loundon campus is too far
Great place to work; low salaries
Associate Director - Executive Programs (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 22, 2017
Great work life balance, but low salaries. Faculty are paid so much better than the staff. The university is extremely accommodating in order to help people meet their professional and personal obligations.
Great staff and professors
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 17, 2017
highly skilled staff and professors. Great work culture. learnt a lot about how the university food payment systems and the networks work. complete system is well organized.
Great Experience
Summer Medical Leadership Forum (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 13, 2017
I had a great time learning about leadership and the medical field here at George Mason University. I attended a leadership forum on campus taught by experienced professionals.
Good job with good manager
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 7, 2017
Good job with a good manager to direct you and teach you new things that can help in making the job better and easier to do in the term of your employment
Flexible work hours to study and work at the same time
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 7, 2017
Typically a lot of organizing, learn about safety in a lab, and how to dispose/handle certain wastes like bio-wastes, chemicals, and broken lab equipment such as glass.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
take a semester to learn everything around the lab
Productive and fun
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 4, 2017
George Mason University has thus far provided me with positive educational experiences. I have been challenged by my major and most professors have been helpful here.
Great for Interns
Aspiring Scientist Summer Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VADecember 4, 2017
The Aspiring Scientist Summer Internship Program really helped launch my career/graduate studies in science. Its a great program that will give you lots of experience and networking.
Pros
Collaborative, good experience
Cons
Short internship
Good Place to Work
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 30, 2017
GMU is a great place to get your career started. The people are friendly and the environment is very relaxed. Unfortunately, the pay is not that great! This causes many people to only stay for a short period of time.