George Washington Medical Faculty Associates Employee Reviews

The worst place ever
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2019
The culture here is to make you scared of management and anyone that has worked her for more than a year and is in good standing with management can be disrespectful. In fact, most of the people here are unprofessional and "ghetto." They do not follow HIPAA laws and do not do a good job with securing their patients records. Many labor laws are broken here, such as lunch breaks, paid overtime, etc.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Do not follow labor laws
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 21, 2019
GW is a great place to work. Managers are fun and friendly and open to suggestions. Depending what your career goals are GW is a great place to start as of as a entry level person.
Cons
Very toxic, unprofessional place to work. I would advise you to allow your pet to work here instead of you.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2019
When you leave a job and it's mentioned that the grass is not always green on the other side....that statement is absolutely true. George Washington University MFA DC location should be aware of the horrible acts of management they offer to their clinical staff. Not just that, most of the clinical staff too are unprofessional, rude, nasty, and very insecure. I have never dealt with such miserable human beings in my life. You are consistently being disrespected and belittled by them. The company give terrible benefits, and uncomfortable work environments. After two months of my employment, they called to the office and told me they don’t need my service any longer.🙄 There's is no growth for MAs at the MFA. Please stay far away from this place if you value your profession.
Pros
Close to metro
Cons
Short breaks, no parking, employees, management are friends
bad management
Patient Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 21, 2019
As I started I was really excited to work with this company, overall it’s a great company but unfortunately I had to work at the Alexandria Ob Gyn associates in walker lane it was quiet an experience, the first manager got fired and she was okay and than the office had no management for a couple weeks and then they hired unqualified and unprofessional code biller to be a manager with no managment experience, doctors are okay and the office was unstable, tried to transferred to the other location PFW but HR didn’t approve it, I have been discriminated before I started with the company at training in DC because of my religion and the new manager is also very unprofessional and discrimination is coming from her too, HR doesn’t care about employees and never bother to come and hear them out or try to help them, I don’t know if I have a bad luck with them or they just aren’t any good or worth your efficacy and hard work.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Health insurance isn’t great, bad management discrimination
Not a good place to work
CONTACT CENTER SPECIALIST I (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 10, 2019
GW MFA is NOT a good place to work. I accepted employment with them because I was seeking to return to working in healthcare, but I should have remained with my previous employer (I was with a temp agency and enjoyed working my assigned work site; however, I was seeking permanent employment).

This organization is HIGHLY unstructured to be such a large clinic. There is NO standardized training for my department, which ultimately causes scheduling errors.

Recently, my department began a MANDATORY monthly meeting--which is fine--however, we are expected to remain past 5p (the clinic closes at 5p) to complete the meeting. Other departments in the clinic have their meetings scheduled during the work day.

Communication is very confusing for employees and patients alike. As employees, we are told one thing on one day and something different the next day. Naturally, this is very stressful. Also, the process of communicating with the offices can be strained. It is not uncommon for the MFA clinic to fail to communicate with the contact center, yet we are the first line of contact for the clinic.

Lastly, the company recently launched a new phone system and contact center management failed to provide training on the phone system to contact center members. The only "training" received arrived late on Friday afternoon with a handout that was to be read. Other departments received training from a support team while we were told to "hold off" on scheduled training. (This ended up impacting the work day on Monday greatly as contact center specialists were unable to access the phone
  more... system.)

If you drive for your commute, you WILL have to pay for parking. Had I known this prior to starting, I would have used this as my deciding factor to decline employment.

Lastly, you will only have 30 minutes for lunch and two 20
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Commute, lack of training, little advancement, short break times
Poor poor management
Medical Assistant II- OB-GYN (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 1, 2019
If you apply for OB-GYN department don't do it! They will over work you. Some providers are RUDE! Manager has favoritism. Environment is bad! Always have to stay late!
Cons
Everything is bad!
Working at GW
ADMINISTRATIVE CORRDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 29, 2019
GW offers great career opportunities. A typical work day is steady. The workplace culture is conducive to the work environment. I am new to the medical field. Working with GW has afforded me the opportunity to gain more understanding of a healthcare work environment.
Work as a scheduler
Patient Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2019
I help patients with scheduling doctors apt for general internal medicine and for the hematology and oncology departments as well. See resume as well.
Run
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2019
Be ready for games. This companyis the definition of too many Indians not enough chiefs. Policies Get changed daily. Nobody knows what they are doing but implement policies that make no sense. Patients are placed on the back burner. You'll come in to do one job but your job description will change with no advance and no increase in pay. Healthcare benefits suck. We are still waiting to get our retirement back. Everything is your fault and you'll be treated as such. Your expected to produce and produce and produce.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Health care benefits pay
Good coworkers but poor management
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2019
Great opportunity to start. With the fast pace and various doctors you will learn. However management is poor. They speak how they want to you and are untrustworthy. If your manager has a good rapport with HR, you’re screwed. People continuously quit.
Pros
Great coworkers and learning environment
Cons
Poor pay, horrible management.
unprofessional
RN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 8, 2019
I worked on 4 different floors and they all had terrible management issues. Managers got together for "tea time" every afternoon and discussed personal matters of employees. Rumors spread like wild fire by management such as, who is pregnant and will need maternity leave, who failed their annual examination and on suspension, whose family member is sick with what and they can't make it to work.
I learned quickly, if there is information you don't want spreading, don't tell your manager.

This caused distrust, gossip and uncomfortable working environment.

Management is also not supportive of continuing education. When I told them I went back to school they told me, they are not able to accommodate my schedule even though I hadn't asked any adjustment. (Just letting me know, in case that what I wanted).
It was a good opportunity and learning experience
Medical Assistant, OB/GYN (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2019
Very unprofessional environment. They talk down to their staff like you personally belong to them. Working with different docts daily trying to keep up with different routines and how different doctors operate was crazy.
Pros
Learning facility (so they say)
Cons
Very arrogant doctors
GWU dba MFA is poorly run as a company
FRONT DESK MEDICAL RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAJanuary 30, 2019
The problem starts at the top. We have been through 5 practice managers in 4 years. The company is in financial straights and the billing department is horrendous. I will say the community practice that I worked for was pleasant. The doctors were kind and honest and my co-workers were like a nice little family.
Will hire you and fire you....fast...
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJanuary 25, 2019
I was all for this company before hire and during orientation. I enjoyed working with the doctor until he had to leave to go out of town during Christmas holiday week. They wanted me to work at their office in Silver Spring and then Crofton. It was fine because I was helping until my doctor came back to return to the site I was originally hired to work at full-time. My doctor came back and I went back but then I received an email saying thanks for helping out at the other sites but we're going to need you to float again. I said no. I was not hired to be a floater. They fired me the next day. 🙄
Pros
Free lunch, free parking and paid holiday
Cons
Fire you before you reap the benefits
Extremely stressful and mis-management
Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 21, 2019
Structure for proper efficiently is not a priority. Management and Managers are deaf due to the problem areas and concerns of employees. Continue to increase work load, without any merit increase or acknowledgement. No room for advancement.
Great team, poor scheduling
Physician Assistant-Certified (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 9, 2018
The employees at this company are wonderful, but the scheduling and staffing is not well thought out. There are many schedule holes creating a strain on the rest of the team.
Diamond in the Rough
Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 2, 2018
I was able to gain valuable knowledge and experience, a typical work day consisted of patient and Dr. requests mostly. Would love to return if the pay were better.
Pros
Cons
Pay, Health benefits
Horrible!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 30, 2018
I don't have much to say. Hard work is not rewarded, the management is not concerned about the well being of their employees, parking is outrageous, and they offer no incentive for reimbursement of metro costs...Easily the worst place I've ever worked. The only thing that made me stay were the awesome doctors and clinical staff I worked with, but the Administrative/Management side of the company is horrible.
Toxic
Employee (Current Employee) –  MDNovember 19, 2018
Unless you are a robot, don't apply! The expectations for employees are ABSURD. Too much work, not OT, pay is no where near comparable to the work load. Staff- including management are toxic. Complete dysfunction throughout the ENTIRE organization! Save yourself the stress and the decline in your health!
Pros
Cons
Working here
They have been good to me and a nice place to work. Would like a job closer to home.
Clinical Administrator Neurological Institute (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2018
GW MFA is a good place to work. Our department is well run and organized. Everyone in our department gets along well with each other and the physicians work hard and are very good.
My commute is 1-2 hours every day and sometimes up to 3 hours a day. I would like to find a position a bit closer to home in the Maryland (Bethesda or Silver Spring) area.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at George Washington Medical Faculty Associates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight