George Washington University
75Above average

George Washington University Employee Reviews in Ashburn, VA

You’re seeing reviews in Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA26 reviews
Depending on your department and manager a great place to work
Depending on the department you are in there is a decent amount of flexibility with telecommute and alternative schedule options. A lot of politics so hard to feel like you can always trust those around you. Limited room for growth
Loved Teaching Here
I was hired even though I only had my bachelor's. Now that I've left (not for any negative reasons, I started a family), I can't come back as the new rules are you must have your Master's. I taught nursing clinicals and loved it. The environment was so supportive. A real tight knit group of people. The students were challenging sometimes (there's always at least 1 student in each group that really tries your patience) but nothing unmanageable. I wish they would give instructors the opportunity to review the students at the end of clinical (as they review their instructors). I was paid well, and would do it again in a heart beat. Blackboard made everything easier, I didn't have to come up with my own assignments or rubrics for grading. I do wish I had a little more wiggle room to give "bad grades" as honestly, some people shouldn't be nurses. BUT. That doesn't belong in this review.
Great Team!
Wonderful work environment and collaborative team. It is a wonderful place to work but limited opportunities to grow beyond your current role. Excellent leadership and work flexibility.
Poor Culture, but Work in Progress
The overall culture of the university, employee view, is poor. Salary employees end up picking up the slack for poor producing hourly staff. No compensation, recognition, or other positive kudos for extra work. Opportunity to learn new skills and grow as an individual is not equally distributed. Managers have the ability to hold back employees from growing, based on relationships. The human resources team is not impartial with it comes to challenges between employees and managers. With the new president and CFO, they are implementing a high-level cultural change mirroring Disney. The process is slow but will be a positive change in the future.
Room for Improvement
Serious room for improvement as an institution. Each day is as struggle between younger, progressive employees and the old, boomer generation and their status quo.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Large complex muiti-campus research institution
The George Washington University is a large, complex, multi-college, multi-campus research institution in Washington, DC, running many and varied computer systems like Banner, EMS, Course Leaf.
Benefits are awesome and people are great. I have enoyed working here for the last 9 years. My job is challenging and fulfilling. I can't wait to get to work everyday.
Great place to work ! Great people!

Very flexible schedule.

I wouldn't have left this job if it was not for having to relocate.

Would gladly work there again.
Pros
Flexible/Good management
They will treat you bad
They don't care about you. I don't want to rate anybody on here. So I just have to write and write and write and write. Man it takes a while to get to 150
Work Life Balance
GWU provides a good work life balance. The culture is for the most part relaxed, which can cause problems in terms of productivity and collaboration. It's a great place for those who need to have a consistent work life balance. The career paths are not clear and development is difficult if you don't proactively seek other opportunities.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
career development
Very friendly work environment, with excellent coworkers. Very helpful team always willing to go the extra mile to help their clients (employees). Enjoyed my time here.
IT Management has no clear direction and vision
Division of IT Senior Management provide no strategic direction and the results of toxic, misguided leadership reach far and wide. This has affected employee retention and morale. Management needs to lead by example and create a positive working environment for employees to perform at their best capacity.
Employees sense an imminent layoff and use company time to look for a new job. Even if they don’t, their morale is reduced, and most have stopped trusting and respecting the management team.
Great Productive Learning Environment
GWU is a good place to work. Management is big on training and updating new skills. Flexible schedules, Good employee benefits.
Job security is a problem.
Pros
Training, Benfits, Flexible Hours
Cons
Campus Location, Job Security
Good, stable environment with nice work-life balance until recently
I have worked with GWU for almost 11 years and the first 9 or 10 were challenging but I felt secure and fairly well compensated. Unfortunately due to recent budget cuts, the security has been diminished significantly and is no longer a great place to work for IT professionals.
Pros
God retirement plans, work-life balance
Cons
lack of stability, poor upper management in many areas
Poor work life balance, do not promote internally
Division of Finance does not promote from within, nor do they provide a healthy work life balance. Managers are expected to attend to work all hours of the day and while on vacation. Employees receive an annual raise averaging 2% while senior management receive 10%+ in addition to annual bonuses.
Cons
Poor management, no work life balance, poor raises
Great place to work.
It a great place to work, very professional and has great benefits. I had many opportunities to learn about different departments.
OK place to work
Can be a very political environment to work in. Some managers are good, some are too busy playing office politics. Very complex technology environment.
The George Washington University
This was a temp position so I did not have any benefits. Pay was very good. The people I worked with were very nice.

I know it was a short term position but wish I had more training by the company. Often left to my own to figure out.
Pros
Not having to go into Foggy Bottom, in Ashburn.
Rewarding place to work with limited advancement
Rewarding place to work with limited advancement and limited job security- management is supportive; co-workers are great team players
productive and safe environment to work
Good working environment, great colleagues. The I Division is a bit slow in getting up to speed with latest technology and systems
very ncie
very co-operative work day
very nice management

the most enjoyable time

learnt the most chaptor of my life there

gdvcudyc codjchbc

hjscgbjahgsdpldfsbc schb siudhpoc sjdhfcpaiied

kjbchbxc bsvdeipeukjsbdfa aikjfcsga

kajdopwedajdyafjksdkfgfslkdmfbsdcf;slkdmc

masdbfhfdbfa;owspwoejkjhrybhjdfbjhbsmdca;

kmjljvskd
Ask a question about working or interviewing at George Washington University. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight