George Washington University Employee Reviews

A friendly, nice environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 10, 2018
Good experience within a large university with a very friendly environment seeking to expand research experience for employees seeking to go into science.
Great co-workers but not supported by management
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 5, 2018
The CEO didn’t even know my department exists. A lot of politics and difficult to get anything done between hospital, university and MFA, nothing synced. I was hopeful it would work itself out but 2 years later no change except they lowered cost of healthcare, but still not matching 401k like they were when I was hired.
Pros
Great co-workers, nice schedule
Cons
Management unorganized and a lot of turnover
Great Place to work
Clinical Supervisor Department of Medicine (Current Employee) –  2150 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Washington DC 20037October 20, 2018
I worked at GW MFA for nearly 18 years and I love my job except for a long commute everyday
Typical day of work is I'm managing a very busy 7 Divisions ambulatory care setting , day to day operations. Hiring and training and educating new employees. A very diverse work environment very involved with budget and maintaining equipments for minor procedures.
Hardest part of the job on some days is trying to staff the clinic with less support that we have due to budgetary constraints.
I really enjoyed working with all the providers and staff at GW- MFA
Helping patients is the most rewarding and just happy to serve people in all different backgrounds.
Pros
Schedule is great
Cons
Long commute to work
The academic environment was pleasnt
Research Associate Pharmaceuticals & Drug Delivery (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 19, 2018
I loved working at GWU; being among the students. The best part of the day was lunch time to walk in beautiful DC area.
I had a cool boss who brought me croissant every day.!
Pros
Environment and tuition re-imbursement
Cons
commute
Graduate Assistant Summary
Nuclear Physics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 15, 2018
A typical day would be coming into work around 8am and immediately working on research. Around 11am I would grab lunch and come back and meet with my adviser to discuss my current research. After this I would work on my grading and other course work for the remainder of the day and leave between 6-7pm.

While at George Washington the most important skill I learned was time management. I would not have been able to succeed at George Washington if I did not manage my time effectively between my research, teaching, and course work. Over my 3 years at George Washington I mastered my ability to balance these three responsibilities, which has helped me tremendously in the professional world outside of George Washington.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours, Interesting and Engaging Work, Strong Mentors for Graduate Students
Cons
Unclear Expectations, Overly Competitive Environment
Productive but management should be improved
Postdoctoral Scientist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2018
A typical day is very busy. Management needs to be improved. I explored new study area, though workplace culture should be more friendly. The most enjoyable part is to explore a new study area. Management sometime lost focus and that is very hard to handle.
Special Police Officer
Special Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2018
Good pay, tired and overworked co-workers. You can work 40 plus hours a week if you want as well as get stuck working over time. 16 hour shifts more then twice a week. Two year wait for 401 benefits. 1 year probation starts after orientation. Could be 3-5 months before orientation. Uniform deposit. Get locker.
Pros
locker
Cons
uniform deposit
Not fair to everyone
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 28, 2018
GW is a very relaxed place to work. Although on your job description for hire and university perks promote work life balance. They don't honor it, they based off of their feelings what their 'old' point of view of working vs. keeping up with the times of teleworking, flextime, etc. BUT you can bring your dog to work?! Its clear it not for a disability, no matter how they try to dress it up to make it like it is. Again they have favorites. Your handwork or innovative ideas are ignored, again they are stuck in the '1998 to early 2000s'. They have obvious favorites and will make up titles to promote but won't revise the position titles or descriptions (which are badly needed) to address the lack of promoting. Some workers don't work but they steady keep them as employees, the hard workers get overworked while the lazy people rack up years under their belts. No way in the world someone working there for over 30 years should still be a specialist II. This is a clear sign they don't promote. They expect you to come to work in bad risky weather and they thank you but giving you pizza??? Really??
Pros
Relaxed place to work
Cons
Don't promote, unfair
Lovely work place
Teaching Assistant; Grader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2018
I loved working here. If I got a fulltime job there I would not have looked to move anywhere else. My professors are great and helped me a lot. Even my supervisor is a great person.
Student Employee at GWU
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2018
I worked as a Resident Advisor and an Academic Department Secretary. I enjoyed working within the university. The pay was great especially because RAs receive housing benefits.
Not for Me
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2018
this employer was just not the right fit. It is for someone who is recently graduated or can handle a lot of down time. I need to constantly busy, so I was easily bored.
very expensive but highly ineffective organization
Lab manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 23, 2018
Located close to White House and National Mall. Surrounded by historical buildings and sites. However, it is a very expensive city to live in unless you earn 80000 or more.
Great experience
Medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2018
The position itself was great and benefits were worth it. Some of the staff can be very unprofessional but overall great experience. Definitely a great place to work at.
Pros
Free lunch from drug reps
Cluttered
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCAugust 14, 2018
None of the major offices HR/Payroll/etc seem to speak to each other. Things that are necessary to know are just sort of assumed that you know them. There's no cheat sheet or SOPs to teach you so mostly you just fly by the seat of your pants and hope you know somebody who knows somebody who can tell you what you actually need to know.
Graduate Student: Physician Assistant
Physician Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 13, 2018
Great experience and time during my graduate degree here at GWU. Facilities and faculty were top notch and renowned throughout the industry.

Located in the heart of foggy bottom.
Pros
Top Ranked Physician Assistant Program: Tied #3
Cons
Expensive school & City
Great place to study.
Student, Statistic, Master of Science Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2018
Acquire and apply knowledge of current and emerging statistical practices, to include methods, models, and multi-level data analyses. Utilize several data and information management systems and support components; test data integrity with leading-edge quality assurance practices.
Able to train and interact with Physicians, NPs, upper management and coders and biller
Director of Physician Coding and Education (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22203August 8, 2018
Typical workday could be training with providers or billing staff or auditing medical records or reviewing denied high dollar claims.
As documentation, coding and billing queries presented, I learned updated guidelines during my research.
My Senior Director trusted me with to do my job and always got a positive comments from her.
The Physicians takes my recommendations seriously and apply it their daily work.
To convince a Physician that they are not following the guidelines (which happens rarely).
Training and interacting with Physicians, Upper Management, Coders and Billing Staff.
Pros
Love training and interacting with Physicians
Cons
too far from home - 2 hours drive
Student-Teacher graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
I was a part-time staff member and a student at the master of Science in Finance. it is a very healthy environment to work in especially under the supervision of my boss. I gain a lot of experience and earn new skills.
It was ok.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2018
When I was there I worked as an hourly employee, the management was poor a lot of work.

Lots to catch up from the previous employee, however, I learned a lot.
Fun place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2018
Great place to work. Plenty of room for growth. Great leadership and visibility from senior leaders. GW is fun and engaging. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to work in healthcare.