George Washington University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lovely work place
Teaching Assistant; Grader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2018
I loved working here. If I got a fulltime job there I would not have looked to move anywhere else. My professors are great and helped me a lot. Even my supervisor is a great person.
Student Employee at GWU
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2018
I worked as a Resident Advisor and an Academic Department Secretary. I enjoyed working within the university. The pay was great especially because RAs receive housing benefits.
Not for Me
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2018
this employer was just not the right fit. It is for someone who is recently graduated or can handle a lot of down time. I need to constantly busy, so I was easily bored.
very expensive but highly ineffective organization
Lab manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 23, 2018
Located close to White House and National Mall. Surrounded by historical buildings and sites. However, it is a very expensive city to live in unless you earn 80000 or more.
Great experience
Medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 17, 2018
The position itself was great and benefits were worth it. Some of the staff can be very unprofessional but overall great experience. Definitely a great place to work at.
Pros
Free lunch from drug reps
Cluttered
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCAugust 14, 2018
None of the major offices HR/Payroll/etc seem to speak to each other. Things that are necessary to know are just sort of assumed that you know them. There's no cheat sheet or SOPs to teach you so mostly you just fly by the seat of your pants and hope you know somebody who knows somebody who can tell you what you actually need to know.
Graduate Student: Physician Assistant
Physician Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 13, 2018
Great experience and time during my graduate degree here at GWU. Facilities and faculty were top notch and renowned throughout the industry.

Located in the heart of foggy bottom.
Pros
Top Ranked Physician Assistant Program: Tied #3
Cons
Expensive school & City
Great place to study.
Student, Statistic, Master of Science Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2018
Acquire and apply knowledge of current and emerging statistical practices, to include methods, models, and multi-level data analyses. Utilize several data and information management systems and support components; test data integrity with leading-edge quality assurance practices.
Able to train and interact with Physicians, NPs, upper management and coders and biller
Director of Physician Coding and Education (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22203August 8, 2018
Typical workday could be training with providers or billing staff or auditing medical records or reviewing denied high dollar claims.
As documentation, coding and billing queries presented, I learned updated guidelines during my research.
My Senior Director trusted me with to do my job and always got a positive comments from her.
The Physicians takes my recommendations seriously and apply it their daily work.
To convince a Physician that they are not following the guidelines (which happens rarely).
Training and interacting with Physicians, Upper Management, Coders and Billing Staff.
Pros
Love training and interacting with Physicians
Cons
too far from home - 2 hours drive
Student-Teacher graduate assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
I was a part-time staff member and a student at the master of Science in Finance. it is a very healthy environment to work in especially under the supervision of my boss. I gain a lot of experience and earn new skills.
It was ok.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2018
When I was there I worked as an hourly employee, the management was poor a lot of work.

Lots to catch up from the previous employee, however, I learned a lot.
Fun place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 17, 2018
Great place to work. Plenty of room for growth. Great leadership and visibility from senior leaders. GW is fun and engaging. I would recommend this place to anyone looking to work in healthcare.
life at gw universit college
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
coworkers are great but the eeo and human resource is a joke for the large campus. this university needs to hire good people and not there friends and family's especially in the university police department too start with. I would like to see a complete change in how they conduct interview when they investigate coworkers for different incicents that occur while on duty.
Relaxed, Open and Flexible Environment
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
Once you get into the GW network you are in but the problem is getting in. I was a Colonial Temp and I was not hired for the full-time permanent position.
work ethic
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
great work ethic, great team , really enjoyed every minute of being appreciated. Good salary, no expectations, would crecommend workign there to anyone.
A good place to work.
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
Good job security and advancements. Very good benefits. Managers who are interested in seeing you advance and grow in the company, by taking classes provided by the university.
Pros
Picnics, holiday parties.
Cons
Long hours at time, but compensated for them.
Hard working environment with good people.
Dietary Aide and Call Center (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2018
Thankful for the opportunity to be apart of this organization. If I had not moved so far away I would be still working there. It is a fast pace environment and it demands wisdom and knowledge for the safety of patients and co-workers. If I ever move back closer, I will seek the opportunity again to grow in this company.
Productive Work Environment
Police Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2018
High call volume internally and externally. A cultural environment with intense calls at times. The department was operated as a team. All officers were trained in an Academy to handle the calls produced.
good
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 18, 2018
GW seems like a relatively small community, but the great thing about being in D.C. is that there's a little bit of everything. You're going to find so many people who are gung-ho on interning at the State Department and into politics, but you are just as likely to find people who are doing that one day and then the next day they're in an acapella group or getting into music, art or sculpture.
great for admin temps but not for those with degrees
Temp (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJune 6, 2018
Temping here has been interesting, the environment between the HR and site location isnt fluid. Considering the jobs have lasted between 3 days to 3 months, relationship with colonial temp and the site should be stronger. Overall there are varied jobs mostly administrative.

No benefits and no real professional advancement opportunities into full time gigs as touted.