Georgetown University
71Above average

Georgetown University Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA19 reviews
This was a great place to work. I would not have chosen to leave. I left because the practice was closed due to restructuring by the company/hospital system
Georgetown would be the best place to work in the US if employees were paid a salary proportional to the cost of living of the DC area, this is the only thing in my opinion that the decision makers need to get better.
Other than that, it is a great place to work overall, work life balance is great, coworkers are very nice, helpful, and respectful.

I will very much recommend Georgetown University to anyone interested,
Pros
Flexibility especially for family matters.
Cons
Low salaries, no career advancement.
Testing all generators every 45 days to ensure transfer and engine are working properly. Working daily with the fire alarm system troubleshooting problems that occur on the system, and also checking motor control, motors, and switchgear.
Although there is stress that come with being the coaches of a collegiate soccer team, Georgetown's coaches were kind and were very helpful in day to day operations.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
I was an Administrative assistant my freshman and sophomore years, and it was a fine part time job that paid slightly above minimum wage at the time. Not too busy generally, and could do homework. No student coworkers that you can talk to, because they're all adults.
Wonderful management, open to suggestions, supportive, and inspirational.
Always eager to work with, always accepting to take new ideas and discuss them.
Pros
Free pens and cookies :)
Cons
I haven't seen any
I did science research work on brain by mathematics model and data processing. It is a valuable, interesting position for me. It also provides a wonderful workplace culture for everybody.
Pros
sport field
In general a great place to work. I am here on a temp contract and would definitely apply here to stay. The staff is friendly and its a great location.
• General office duties include filing, copying, scanning, answering phone, mail distribution and organizing material
• Inputting mass data into Excel spreadsheets for data analysis
The experienceworking at Georgetown was very good, and I got to input my opinions on the Office of Global Education and make the study abroad experience easier for prospective students.
A typical day at work is productive. Excellent communication and excellent customer service makes for a sustained business. Having good working relationships with co-workers is a plus. Most of my job is enjoyable.
Pros
management of workload, flexibility
Cons
salary
My working at Georgetown University Bookstore was an learning experience in a different environment with students from different backgrounds and cultures. Management team was great. Learned more about the company in the Training Classes that were provided.
Pros
Thirty minute lunch break and two fifteen minute breaks.
Cons
The firedrill.
I have had a great experience working as a student guard this year! Perfect for students who want to be able to study while on the job. Recommended for all students at Georgetown University who want to make some money during the school year.
Despite being in excellent financial health, GU salaries are way below any industry in the area. Benefits are excellent though, 3 weeks vacation, 10% employer match to 403(b), tuition assistance, health, dental, vision, days off during the Christmas and New Year seasons.

One major drawback is parking which is not subsidized and the monthly rate goes up every year. You cannot find monthly parking on the main campus as all spots are taken. You must park offsite and then walk 20 minutes to campus or wait for the shuttle which is always late and runs intermitently. If you take metro, it's the same story, wait for the shuttle to take you to campus from Dupont Circle.

If you're looking for career advancement you need connections because skills, experience and abilities are not a big factor; it's who you know and is willing to help you climb the ladder. One final drawback is that GU allows for the employment of family members. So you'll find positions filled by manager's or director's family members; hence many people with limited skills and education are hired more often than not. If you wish to build your retirement fund and are desperate for benefits, GU is the place, if you can get in.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low pay, parking is a nightmare and not subsidized
Daily 9 - 5. Heavily focused on research project enrollment. Provides access to research and medical records to past patients/participants.
The University told me upon being hired that they would send me to training. This turned out to be an untruth. Middle management is unprofessional and hostile. Turn over is high and more then 1/2 department was laid off within the last 5 months.
Cons
constant concern about layoff
Their nine Colleges that comprised the University. Amongst the main branches, the Facilities department on the main campus stand apart. Not only they are professionals, I found joys and excitement to work with them.
Pros
Free Tuition for eligible staff members
Cons
poor management
This job was stressful because the training was inadequate. As a result, the office closed and moved to main campus.
LEAD is an amazing program. In just three weeks, you learn so much about the business world. I got to work with some incredibly talented students, creating business plans, participating in case studies at various well known companies in the DC area, and competing with other LEAD programs in business based games.