Georgia-Pacific Employee Reviews

Found 2,076 reviews matching the search See all 2,122 reviews
Great place to work with great people
Leadership Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, TNSeptember 20, 2018
GP Lebanon is a great place to work. The employees and managers are so friendly and easy to work with. The team takes care of one another, and the supervisors are great. They value their employees and appreciate their hard work. You're not just a number here, you're a person. The plant is clean, organized, and runs great. There are opportunities for advancement. Most management positions have been filled internally through promotions. It's a small plant so it feels like a family, but it has the resources and perks of working for a big company (like competitive benefits, pay, discounts).
Pros
Safety oriented, great people with positive culture, competitive pay and benefits
Think Twice
Stores Manager (Former Employee) –  Camas, WANovember 8, 2018
The company, at least the purchasing department that I worked in, is stressful, only because they expect you to work long hours and will not compensate you for it, that all stems from the so called department leadership at headquarters. Most have never worked on the ground level, and then are promoted into leadership roles, make bad decisions from the lack of experience which trickle down to my level. Raises are nonexistent, so get your pay locked in early - you will not get a raise. They have this philosophy called MBM, they're guiding principles for the company - in theory the traits are good, but in reality middle management in Atlanta expects you to follow the principles and yet they do not themselves. Do not challenge management at headquarters - you will get blackballed resulting in no raises, no compensation and no progression. They hires kids as department heads because they're cheap and will work those long days for little or no compensation. This is by far the worst company I've worked for. Buyer beware!
Pros
People on the ground
Cons
Just about everything
Great company
Winder Operator (Current Employee) –  Mount Holly, NCNovember 3, 2018
I do like working at GP. I had 6+ years of manufacturing experience before - all of which was harder than working here. My plant operates on a 2-2-3, 12-hour schedule. This is an appealing schedule as it means working 7-days every 2-week. Longer hours, but more days off was important for my situation. MBM and 8 essential standards are stressed here. I do like that advancement is not tied strictly to seniority and is based on other factors. Our facility is small, but I do feel supported by HR and training is something readily available for those motivated to improve. OT is always available and compensation is good imho. Also, safety is a key part of GP and very important to the company.
Pros
Hr, schedule, training, safety emphasis
Cons
Long hours at times
Good compensation and opportunities, lacking management
Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 9, 2018
Compensation is good and offers opportunities for advancement, though many times there are pay increases and small title changes, more than true work-changing promotions.

Management gets very involved in decisions that they have no idea the repercussions of, which leads to frustrating software development process.

There are some technical leaders in the company, but most are simply doing enough to get by and are not very passionate about strong software.

This is clearly a manufacturing company that has custom software, not like a company that focuses on tech
Maybe just this location
Entry Level Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pennington, ALAugust 30, 2018
Despite the seemingly negative review I don't think GP is a bad company. This particular location is just bad and full of discrimination. Age, gender, and ethnicity aren't treated equally. If you stir the pot by politely bringing light to any injustice you become a target for sure. Depending on who your manager is you are expected to put your job over your: life, family, health, sanity, etc. Would recommend this location for older and or judgmental people looking to retire. Any young person trying to advance their career please avoid this location.

The work is fairly doable and gets easier the more you do it. However, eventually you don't just do your job, but the job of others who don't want to do their job.

Many people go 3 years or more without a raise or even a bonus no matter how well the company does.
Pros
Decent start off pay. Some friendly people
Cons
Even more unfriendly people. Bad management
Management and HR want you to know you can be fired at any time. Be afraid for your job every day.
Heavy Equipment Operator/Foreman (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 23, 2018
In my 14 years working @ this mine, I had 8 mine managers come & go (be fired). Upper management will not let Mine managers do their job, then they hire managers who have no idea what they are doing. GP talks a good game but don’t believe them, they treat hourly personal like you are a tool, once their tool gets worn down a little, they toss it aside and get a new one. Work-life balance is a joke to them. Rules & regulations/ too many to keep up with. If you have a problem, don’t go to HR or let them find out you have a problem. I am glad that I finally resigned. I feel like a human again & not a tool owned by GP.
Pros
Can’t think of any.
Cons
The list is too many for this little box.
The people
Press Utility (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJuly 8, 2018
There are people that have worked for this company for years and they have established a toxic culture through the union to favor certain individuals and to ruin other employees opportunities of advancement. The union is supposed to help employees keep their jobs, not benefit some individuals to get what they want. It is a very biased hostile environment and very judgmental when it comes to new employees. Ever since I worked there, people had assumptions of me when I just came to work and do my job to the best of my ability. But unfortunately this company is fueled by false rumors and daily conflict between employees that there is truly no way it would be a pleasant place to work. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you want to deal with shady 2 faced union "brothers and sisters." Don't trust anyone here, especially the union and management.
Pros
hourly wage
Cons
toxic employee environment
A great place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Newington, NHJuly 1, 2018
I was apprehenced about employment at Georgia Pacific Newington after reading reviews with people talking about how miserable they were there. When i had my interview i didnt know what to expect, but what i saw were happy employees and good friendly management. After recieving a job offer and beginning employment as a machine operator i learned that people in the upper tiers of managenent were recently fired and replaced with new management. Including the productiin manager and Human rescorce director. I heard horror stories about how the company use to be ran, but it is very different now. I love my job at georgia pacific, great starting pay at over 20 dollars an hour, friendly management, great leadership structure, great training, in a very safety conscious atmosphere. Highly recomend working here!!
Pros
Great pay.great benefits, fun friendly co-workers.
Cons
Honestly can not think of any
Forced to work always, veey poor management.
Gluer Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INDecember 2, 2018
Management was terrible. Hourly wages and benifits were solid. Favoritism was shown within certain groups. They switched to a Continental shift to give people days off but if never happened. We were forced to work 12 hour shifts 13 out of every 14 days in a two week period. To bash a place that gave me an opportunity at employment is regrettable. However management really made a lot of bad choices and lost a lot of employees, and still have trouble finding employees to this day. Paid a decent wage but put a lot of strain on the home life. Also i feel like its hard to explain all the negatives its something that each person should experience on their own and determine for themselves. For me personally along with many other former and current employees its not a great place to work.
Consumer Products vs Building Products
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Talladega, ALNovember 23, 2018
Building products has a lower expectation from it's supervisors. This is more as a crew-lead position. Constantly undermined and micro managed. The MBM culture is not present at any lumber facilities that I've been to. If you try to utilize the challenge process you get shut down and come off as out of your lane. I have also seen military members get treated differently, leadership experience through the military is not welcomed and is met by "we don't do that in lumber"

Consumer Products is completely different you are met with open minds and a sense of respect coming from your title alone. you earn more decision rights and you ear more for the company. GP as a whole is great, they have a wonderful culture if management allows it blossom
poor management
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXSeptember 19, 2018
the work schedule is constantly changing. you can show up for an 8 hour shift and end up working 12. this happens almost daily due to a high turn over rate. you will also work most Saturdays. one day off a week is all that is guaranteed. no seniority. friends of management will receive better hours and promotions. retaliation from management is taken by giving short breaks and over night long shifts.
Pros
pay is decent, lots of overtime
Cons
no cost of living raise
lack of management leadership
maintenance tech 3 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INJune 29, 2018
You hire in. They tell you that you will receive a review in 90 days and if you successfully complete your 90 days you will receive a raise. This doesn't happen. Company does not beleive maintenance is a skilled trade. Machine operators are all they consider skilled. And they are better paid then maintenance techs who keep their machines running. The lack of management leaves employees in the dark! No communication from management unless it's to ask how much longer a repair will take. It's a wreck waiting to happen.
Pros
descent pay
Cons
lucky to get a lunch break. never know how many hour your gonna be working daily.
Great environment low pay
Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Zachary, LAAugust 9, 2018
Good place to work, good management. I love working there. The union contract changed a few months before I started and they lowered the pay drastically. The pay scale and benefits now compeat with Walmart. Therefore there is an endless hiring and firing of low performing personnel. It used to be a place for a career now it’s only a stepping stone for where you want to go it’s sad.
Pros
Good place to get experience
Cons
Pay and benefits compeat with grocery stores
Toxic culture
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WANovember 20, 2018
Been working for this company 22 years, and they treat their employees like robots. Expected to work OT with little to no notice, you cannot plan your weekends in advance with any assurance that you won't have to work. Supervisors have little experience in the industry and in leadership roles. Leadership is always focusing on the negative and ways to discipline rather than accentuating the positive and providing employees something to look forward to.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, good pay for the industry
Cons
Poor management, negative work environment
Productive friendly work environment
Certified Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAOctober 16, 2018
Task oriented well maintained process
I learned the importance of an active role in statistical Process control
Management placed improvement procedures in the hands of individual operators which led to production and quality improvements
Good team environment
Obtaining overtime to position myself to pay the bills
Success in process improvements acknowledged by management was the most enjoyable part
Pros
good communication of goals, 8 hour shifts
Cons
low salary
productive and close knit
Lead Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Meriwether County, GAApril 23, 2018
A typical day at work consists of conducting several reactive maintenance troubleshooting tasks along with Preventive Maintenance scheduled work task. The industrial factory world is a fast paced organization just like the military, must be ready to make quick accurate decisions. Management is more of a passive style that expect lead men to make decisions that should be made at a higher level to provide them coverage. The culture is divided based on the individual departments leadership, it is heading in the right direction. The hardest part of the job is the unpredictability of the hours of work many days at quitting time equipment shows up that you have to stay and repair. The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie shared by many of the employees.
Pros
good people to work with, safety is a top priority
Cons
long hours, lenient leadership
Stressful
LIFT TRUCK OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Monticello, MsSeptember 12, 2018
Job is an okay job but seem to be going downhill slowly.
In the department I work in there is a lack of leadership and the good workers pretty much get trampled over or the worst end of the stick. However this a union job with good security once you make it past probation period. Can make great money if you stay for the long haul but progress is slow because it is a seniority mill. Benefits are not the best but pay is decent. Seldom 16 hour days are required and we work swing shift.
Pros
Job security
Cons
short or no lunch breaks and swing shift
people i ork with great but management didnt follow culture
Grader (Former Employee) –  Rincon, GANovember 28, 2018
was ok but jb culture was very negative in the way they did promotions etc learned a lot osha certified onsit down fork lift scissors lift and genie boom
Pros
experience
Cons
management and culture
My time at GP
CNS Operator (Former Employee) –  Coos Bay, ORNovember 19, 2018
It was a decent place to work good pay, decent people, but I can not say enough as to how badly the site I worked at is ran (GP Coos Bay). There is a whole lot of you rub my back I'll rub yours, overlooking violations for favoritism. I have seen a lot of good people leave that plant site, but a majority of the ones fired deserved to stay over the below acceptable people still there.
Pros
Pay and ability to move around to different jobs on site.
Cons
Lacking true Management
Productive and collaborative workplace
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 10, 2018
The company has advanced market based management business processes. The training programs are great. The safety culture is strong with individuals who have situational awareness of how to perform their tasks without injuring themselves.
Pros
Great training programs
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia-Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight