Georgia-Pacific Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,924 reviews matching the search See all 1,967 reviews
This place is a joke
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 19, 2018
Working here is a joke. They couldn't care less about their employees especially the maintenance department. The management philosophy is lie at all costs. You can't plan anything because you won't know about working the weekend until friday at 3.
Pros
Cons
Pay, lies, management
Feels almost prison like overtime comes at no notice
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 17, 2018
Very hot working conditions lots of overtime not scheduled in advance can not plan stuff on your days off. Equipment is old and always broken. Been lied to since the first day.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
Hourly wages way less then other employees and capped off
Excellent company
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palatka, FLAugust 15, 2018
Georgia Pacific is a large company that still retains the family feel as it is not publicly owned; MBM guiding principles provide a good perspective on how to add value at GP, compensation can be less than competitors.
I work in shipping and there is high turnover rate for temps.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Fletcher, OKAugust 14, 2018
150 characters minimum! Weeel let me see if I can stretch this out. Nothing wrong with working here. They hire temporary workers to tarp the trucks and we end up with a high turnover rate. They need to make them full time GP employees.
Pros
Pay rate, supervisor support.
Cons
Stressful when workforce is short, never knowing when you’re get off.
Good job, good money
Utility Operator (Former Employee) –  Phillips, WIAugust 14, 2018
Great co workers at Georgia Pacific, learned a lot of skills with the diversity of the Utility Operator position from Warehouse to manufacturing to bark yard receiving operations.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Long way to drive from my home
A good place to work with good benefits.
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKAugust 14, 2018
A fast paced workplace. Used to have good safety practices, but were going slack in 2012 however the jobs are good jobs if you are willing to work and dont mind working shiftwork..
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits.
Cons
Some of managers.
Productive and fun work place.
Accounting/Computer Operator/Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Buchanan, NYAugust 13, 2018
I really loved my job. Great staff and friendly work environment.
I works as Accounts Payable/Receivables, Payroll, Customer Service, Dispatch, Reception and Billing.
Okay Job
Converting Operator (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYAugust 12, 2018
The work place environment sucked. You had to work and eat your lunch because you had no time to stop and eat. They said breaks but never ever got any because the machine was not allowed to shut down and was left to manage the machine alone.
Productive and collaborative workplace
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 10, 2018
The company has advanced market based management business processes. The training programs are great. The safety culture is strong with individuals who have situational awareness of how to perform their tasks without injuring themselves.
Pros
Great training programs
Cons
One of my favorites jobs
Leader (Former Employee) –  Warm Springs, GAAugust 9, 2018
The money what keeps you at gp as the people work there call it. You work for every penny you make & I do mean hard work. After so long it becomes a enjoyment to you and then you start enjoying life
Great environment low pay
Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Zachary, LAAugust 9, 2018
Good place to work, good management. I love working there. The union contract changed a few months before I started and they lowered the pay drastically. The pay scale and benefits now compeat with Walmart. Therefore there is an endless hiring and firing of low performing personnel. It used to be a place for a career now it’s only a stepping stone for where you want to go it’s sad.
Pros
Good place to get experience
Cons
Pay and benefits compeat with grocery stores
Run!!!! Unless you need a job that bad!
Operator (Former Employee) –  Prosperity, SCAugust 9, 2018
The management from the Mill manager down to the Supervisors very Unqualified to be in management. Horrible values, integrity and simple morals!! They change management like underwear in Prosperity, SC. Try the Plywood side first!! I’ve heard better treatment there. You’ve been Warned about the Lumber side!!!
Pros
Pay? Maybe?
Cons
Management, schedules, Did I say Management?
Stack Operator
Stack Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheboygan, WIAugust 7, 2018
The work environment was not safe. The employees were required to do the job of two people very frequently. If the operator from the following shift did not show up, we were required to stay longer no matter what.
System administrator
DOCUMENT TECHNOLOGIES SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  atlantaAugust 7, 2018
Great place to work. the culture and the atmosphere to work. The compensation could be better but its not overall bad. I would recommend Georgia Pacific as a good place to work
Great Place to work
Power Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  New Augusta, MSAugust 6, 2018
Great place to work but does not value your family time. Your off days was not guaranteed. Sometimes you will have your three days off and most of the time you would work two of them. break downs was ridiculous due to poor management decisions. Management would fix things on time. you could report a problem but it was not taking serious until it finally broke down.
Pros
Free paper towels and lunches
Cons
Overtime was ridiculous
workplace culture
Mill Emergency Response Team (Current Employee) –  Camas, WAAugust 4, 2018
culture in mill was at the edge of the cliff, when we were negotiating a contract, and after contract with wage cuts and increases on medical, the Culture is non existant the EEs are doing what they have to do and not much more
Toxic
Sander/saw outfeed (Former Employee) –  Mount Jewett, PAAugust 3, 2018
Unless you're part of the buddy system, forget it. You will be overlooked, overworked, disrespected, & degraded. Bullying and whining are not only tolerated, but encouraged, and those in charge eat all the gossip right up without ever once monitoring things (or using a little common sense) to see what's really going on. Management/supervision has little to no interaction on the floor, and you get evaluated by people you never even see. Expectations of employees vary - there's zero continuity with what is presented as a workplace infraction - and it all comes down to who you are. "Security/Process" cameras are used to spy on & target select employees, & the content can be manipulated to suit the purpose of the moment - again, depending on who you are.The Guiding Principles are preached, but not practiced. It's impossible to gauge the barometer of acceptable behavior - what is brushed under the rug for one person might get another person fired. Favortism & nepotism abound, & it creates a very negative atmosphere. There are a lot of disgruntled employees, but management's attitude is "if you don't like it, leave." They will cover up for their buddies & crucify someone else. Expect no raise or praise unless you're one of the select few. Someone can walk in the door with zero manufacturing experience & be instantly groomed for the highest paying positions if they know the right people, while veteran employees are overlooked. Safety policies look good on paper, but again, it depends on who you are as to whether or not you have to comply. An overall disheartening place to work, especially  more... when you realize you've given up your life & sanity to pad some manager's already bulging bank account - because you won't get a raise or a bonus, but theirs are pretty hefty. "Toxic" doesn't begin to describe this place. The turnover rate speaks for itself.  less
It allowed you to pay your bills
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Madison, GAAugust 3, 2018
This is a very demanding job that required long work hrs at times ...Pay wasnt great but it did allow you to earn decent money to provide for your family
Pros
Supervisors had their own discipline distressing
Cons
Supervisors had their own discipline distressing
Watchout when Atlanta offers up help!
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Blue Rapids, KSAugust 2, 2018
I was truly excited to join GP particularly after reading the Science of Success on the plane heading into the interview in Atlanta. The interviweing pocess was top notch (in Atlanta) then I was sent to Kansas. The only assistance I ever received from Atlanta was criticism for about everything acomplished. Including a report sent out to a global audience across GP by a college intern ststing that I was in error believing my Plant was at 99.6% capacity - he offered proof we were running less than 40% and would require no capital to doubkle throughput! An idiotic message which only left out 5 steps in the manufacturing process including all the time required to complete them - Also no retraction or apology ever given, I was hired to bring a manufacturing urgency to the facility and win favor with the USW Union. The plant became profitable and I personally facilitated a 4 year CBA which included no wage increases but did include significant incentives for impressive Safety, Quality, Service and Cost results. The Kock brothers matbe very surprised to know that MBM is the rage in Atlanta but it only flows downhill to the Plants and everything is validated by being told it's being driven by MBM!
I enjoyed the work
Chemical Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Perdue Hill, ALAugust 1, 2018
I enjoyed the work that I was doing, but I don’t believe that management made an assertive effort to help me get the extra knowledge I needed to be the greatest that I wanted to be. I honestly believe that some of my coworkers and area trainers were intentionally withholding information from me in fear of bypassing them in the department. I would love to go back to work for Georgia pacific just not in that particular department.
Pros
Loved the job that I was doing and enjoyed how the company made safety a priority.
Cons
There wasn’t a knowledge base to learn from, had to depend on other workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia-Pacific. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight