Georgia Aquarium Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
intresting and cool envoirment
Guest Services (Lead/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 8, 2018
typical day: busy
learned alot about management, how to become a better leader, how to become sociable and helpful towards people.
mangement did not have great communication skills, attitudes
very cultured place
hardest part of job was workin with mangers
most enjoyable part of the job was coworkers and the animal collection
Pros
discounts, location
Cons
short breaks, incosistent hourss
Contract worker
Grant Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Good environment for a contract worker. Seasonal. Welcoming. Lowkey, low stress. Deadlines are known well in advance. Pleasant physical workspace. Supportive and engaged co-workers.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2018
A typical day would consist of meeting a lot of people from out of town.
It was fun and exciting.
I met celebrities.
The shows are great and fun to help with.
Pros
Meeting celebrities
Cons
Short term
A good part time job
Guest Programs Team Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 26, 2018
Working in the Guest Programs department is a great part time job, but there is little to no opportunity for full time positions or career advancement, and raises amount to an annual increase of less than ten cents per hour.
Pros
Free admission, free tickets for friends and family, discount on food and shopping
Cons
Short breaks, no healthcare, few FT opportunities
Its okay place to work
Safety and security officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2018
Decent place to work, free tickets or pass for friends and family. Security was treated as bottom rung compared to other departments. Managers and other staff were very rude.
Pros
Free passes
Cons
Rude managers
Has the potential to be an amazing job, but fails miserably
Dive Master (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
I loved my job and my daily tasks (diving, playing with the animals, visiting with the guests, but the management there was terrible as were the opportunities to advance my career. Despite the significant income the aquarium makes, they hire as little full-time employees as possible. Getting an appropriate amount of hours was difficult and benefits were non-existent. Most people working here have a second or third job.
Pros
fun job
Cons
poor management/toxic environment
A dream Job
Dive Coordinator, Veterans Immersion Program (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 22, 2018
Working at the Georgia Aquarium is a job you can only dream of. The culture is incredible. The leadership cares about its employees and will go the extra mile to ensure you are successful in your position. It is a family that I am still very fond of.
Never again
Guest Services Full-Time Senior Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2018
Managers made you feel worthless even though they could not perform the tasks that essentially made the department run without the help of the non-management staff. If you worked overtime in a week they would purposely modify your check to be short so they could just pay you straight pay on the next check or not at all if you weren't keeping track of the hours you worked.
Pros
Got to meet a lot of cool people both staff and visitors
Cons
Management was a nightmare, Without the vindictive persona of most of the management team ..RUTH..it would be a great job.
Enjoyable fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time while being a volunteer. I was able to gain a sense of confidence while talking to people. I also was able to learn a lot while working there. Everyone was nice in the end.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 11, 2018
I volunteered at the Georgia Aquarium and not as an employee, so many of the questions are not applicable in this survey. I volunteered there over 10 years ago.
Team Lead Specialist
Entertainment Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 31, 2018
At first i started as a regular employee for the 4D Theater, which was a decent experience. Later on as i progressed through the department i was promoted to an Operator Level II and then i was promoted again as a Team Lead Specialist. As a Team Lead i would supervise staff and events held at the Georgia Aquarium. Management was amazing when i first started off, however once the assistant manager left, it seemed as if the whole staff and i were not supported enough. Typical days at work would include high volumes of guests in our theater (over 200 guests every half hour). We would handle crowd control as well as handle any guests complaints. Hardest part of the job is dealing with guests complaints. Enjoyable part would be having the guests leave with a happy experience.
Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 24, 2018
A typical day at the aquarium is quick-paced and full of interacting with guests. I have learned so much about the different animals at the aquarium and love volunteering here. I love interacting with guests regularly and seeing the awe on their faces when they enter.
Great place to Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 19, 2018
Great volunteer experience. The people are great. I have worked with visitors and worked with the water quality laboratory. Great communication with volunteer program.
Nice at first, but.....
Entertainment Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2018
The orientation is super deceiving. They tell you how great the company is and hype you up. They show all these videos that get you excited to work there. Management is very disoriented and not organized at all. Everything is constantly over budget. Very hard to advance and rarely any opportunities to do so. You get in trouble for sitting, making a quick phone call, and management treats everyone like they are children even if they are well into their 60s and have been there for years. They feel the company is on the level of Disney world but is no where near and is very cheap experience inside. They have a top floor that is strictly corporate and they make all the decisions there on what to do on the floor of operations without any of them actually knowing what it takes to be in the shoes of a true worker there. They are all salary based and swear that this job pays our bills so we should be doing more and will scold us for being human. Wants us to be robots and perform and misses the mark of showing true conservation efforts of animals. Thousands of complaints are made by guest and we have to take the rebuttal because of their poor budgeting and want us to make up for their incompetence. Nice animals but company itself is terrible to work for. No benefits at all for part time workers. Hours are constantly being cut to make room for corny half assed shows. Café food is disgusting and over priced even with the half off employee discount. Its $8 for a dry burger and tasteless rubbery fries. (Mind you this is what employees pay) customers pay at least $15 for that. This whole  more... aquarium is a scam and will throw you under the bus for their incompetence.  less
Terrible management
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2018
I worked in the education department for four years. In that time we had 14 people leave the department, most of whom quit due to how we were treated by the management team. They would treaten our jobs on multiple occasions. One director told us, “There are over two hundred applicants who would jump at the opportunity to have our job.”

Furthermore, there is very little room for advancement here. You will not have any opportunity to train outside of the facility unless you pay for it yourself. Prepare to brown nose your way into a promotion because it’s the only way anyone advances. Additionally if you take a complaint to HR, be prepared for the management team to take retribution.
Pros
Really fun place to work, love the animals
Cons
Horribly managed
Well organized
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2018
Georgia Aquarium is one of the most organized job to have. Customer service is great, they make you feel so important and make sure that all there attention is focused on the guest.
Unique work environment, but underpaid
Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2017
Georgia Aquarium is a fun work environment because you get to see animals all day and the people are fantastic. Those who are there truly want to be there, because everyone is extremely underpaid. Upper management seems to care more about the guests and animals more than the staff. Staff appear to be of least concern to management, especially when it comes to non existent pay raises, severe weather, and communication. If you're looking for just a fun work environment, the aquarium is great. Don't expect promotions, pay raises, flexibility or a great culture.
Pros
Free parking downtown, free entry to the aquarium, free ticket stipend each year
Cons
underpaid, management doesn't seem to care about staff, hard to move up to promotions
Guest Services is the worst department to work in.
Team Specialist-Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2017
Never work for Guest services. The managers are terrible !!! The have favoritism and choose who gets hours and doesn't. Take their time and sometimes don't allow employees to move up. Guest services is awful.
I was an intern, not an employee.
Georgia Aquarium Training Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2017
Even though I was an intern, I still learned a lot from the internship. I would recommend an internship here to anyone interested in animal training, but any kind of career desire is extremely competitive.
Good coworkers, iffy managers
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2017
Depending on the time of year determines if the aquarium will be slow or fast paced. Saturdays were always fast paced regardless of the time of year. NO over time unless approved. No holiday pay and required to have holidays and had to be open for at least two of the considered three weekend days. wont be there past 9 unless you sign up for an event.
Pros
Free Parking, Free entry
Cons
30 min lunch break