Georgia Aquarium Employee Reviews

hours and management
GUEST SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 5, 2018
With regards to the many long hours, management was not always on the same sheet of paper. This made it difficult to call on them outside of everyday duties, i.e. personal matters. The job wasn't difficult, while the responsibilities overwhelmed everyone.
Pros
discounts, public interactions
Cons
working long hours during holidays, performing supervisory duties minus pay
Has the potential to be an amazing job, but fails miserably
Dive Master (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
I loved my job and my daily tasks (diving, playing with the animals, visiting with the guests, but the management there was terrible as were the opportunities to advance my career. Despite the significant income the aquarium makes, they hire as little full-time employees as possible. Getting an appropriate amount of hours was difficult and benefits were non-existent. Most people working here have a second or third job.
Pros
fun job
Cons
poor management/toxic environment
intresting and cool envoirment
Guest Services (Lead/Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 8, 2018
typical day: busy
learned alot about management, how to become a better leader, how to become sociable and helpful towards people.
mangement did not have great communication skills, attitudes
very cultured place
hardest part of job was workin with mangers
most enjoyable part of the job was coworkers and the animal collection
Pros
discounts, location
Cons
short breaks, incosistent hourss
Good team, mediocre management
4D Theater Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 18, 2018
Working in the 4D theater, a typical day was no longer than 7 hours, unless there was an event later that night. A different task was assigned every day; tasks including counting guests, answering questions from guests, washing glasses, and operating the actual theater. Management was helpful, but a little unorganized. The team of operators were all friendly and helpful, and you got the feeling that everyone just wanted to do their job and do it well. Tasks could definitely get monotonous, and some days, especially during the summer, were extremely busy and fast-paced.
Exciting and busy; always something new happening!
Sr. Director, Executive Administration (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 7, 2018
I started at the Aquarium in 2005 supporting the the President of the Aquarium. I learned so much from him about an aquarium; motivation, and new and start up companies as well as board management of some of the most prestigious corporations in Atlanta. I was involved in the governance of the board and helping form the committee and assignments.
Pros
Everyone works as a team
Unique work environment, but underpaid
Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2017
Georgia Aquarium is a fun work environment because you get to see animals all day and the people are fantastic. Those who are there truly want to be there, because everyone is extremely underpaid. Upper management seems to care more about the guests and animals more than the staff. Staff appear to be of least concern to management, especially when it comes to non existent pay raises, severe weather, and communication. If you're looking for just a fun work environment, the aquarium is great. Don't expect promotions, pay raises, flexibility or a great culture.
Pros
Free parking downtown, free entry to the aquarium, free ticket stipend each year
Cons
underpaid, management doesn't seem to care about staff, hard to move up to promotions
A good part time job
Guest Programs Team Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 26, 2018
Working in the Guest Programs department is a great part time job, but there is little to no opportunity for full time positions or career advancement, and raises amount to an annual increase of less than ten cents per hour.
Pros
Free admission, free tickets for friends and family, discount on food and shopping
Cons
Short breaks, no healthcare, few FT opportunities
It was a fun place to work.
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 20, 2018
Working here was never a dull night you got to meet all types of CEO and managers people who had there own company. Also, they did not mine talking to you.
Pros
Free after the events
Cons
Did not pay the 15.00 dollars and hour you got 10.00 dollars and hour
Terrible management
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2018
I worked in the education department for four years. In that time we had 14 people leave the department, most of whom quit due to how we were treated by the management team. They would treaten our jobs on multiple occasions. One director told us, “There are over two hundred applicants who would jump at the opportunity to have our job.”

Furthermore, there is very little room for advancement here. You will not have any opportunity to train outside of the facility unless you pay for it yourself. Prepare to brown nose your way into a promotion because it’s the only way anyone advances. Additionally if you take a complaint to HR, be prepared for the management team to take retribution.
Pros
Really fun place to work, love the animals
Cons
Horribly managed
Never again
Guest Services Full-Time Senior Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2018
Managers made you feel worthless even though they could not perform the tasks that essentially made the department run without the help of the non-management staff. If you worked overtime in a week they would purposely modify your check to be short so they could just pay you straight pay on the next check or not at all if you weren't keeping track of the hours you worked.
Pros
Got to meet a lot of cool people both staff and visitors
Cons
Management was a nightmare, Without the vindictive persona of most of the management team ..RUTH..it would be a great job.
Team Lead Specialist
Entertainment Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 31, 2018
At first i started as a regular employee for the 4D Theater, which was a decent experience. Later on as i progressed through the department i was promoted to an Operator Level II and then i was promoted again as a Team Lead Specialist. As a Team Lead i would supervise staff and events held at the Georgia Aquarium. Management was amazing when i first started off, however once the assistant manager left, it seemed as if the whole staff and i were not supported enough. Typical days at work would include high volumes of guests in our theater (over 200 guests every half hour). We would handle crowd control as well as handle any guests complaints. Hardest part of the job is dealing with guests complaints. Enjoyable part would be having the guests leave with a happy experience.
A dream Job
Dive Coordinator, Veterans Immersion Program (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 22, 2018
Working at the Georgia Aquarium is a job you can only dream of. The culture is incredible. The leadership cares about its employees and will go the extra mile to ensure you are successful in your position. It is a family that I am still very fond of.
Its a job
Guest Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2018
I don't wish to write this review. They do not take care of their associates who deal with the public. The only ones respected are those dealing with the animals behind the scenes.
Pros
Animals
Cons
No one will listen to you
Making experiences to live with
Guest Services Team Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2017
Working at the Georgia Aquarium can be a bit tiring, dealing with unruly guests but most days are amazing, being able to be apart of an experience that most don't get on a day to day basis.
I've learned to take every moment in, magical things happen at the Aquarium every day and to be in the midst of it all is sometimes breathtaking. Although, management isn't the best of them all; I can honestly say they are there to please every guest possible and that's what I can respect the most about our management team. I would have to say the hardest part of my job is dealing with unruly guests; these are the guests that aren't pleased with anything but somehow you still have to make their experience worthwhile-swallowing your pride and putting on a smile is sometimes, what you have to do. I enjoy seeing the smiles guests have once they enter our doors, there's nothing like being apart of something that makes someone happy and meeting people from so many different cultures in one place!
Pros
Discounts, the interactions with animals
Cons
Unsatisfied guests, short breaks
Great job yet hard work. You must learn to handle a constant crowd.
Team Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2013
Management can be flexible yet often times demanding. You meet many nice people, nice co-workers and get great benefits. It is rare to become Full time since 9/10 the 4 or 5 positions of Full time are filled in each department. Promotions are fair. Oh, when extreme temperatures hit (be it freezing cold or extremely hot) this will probably be your worst complaint. Other than that not wanting to work at said post may be another complaint. Overall: Good company to work for.
Pros
health benefits, promotions, pay, extra hours.
Cons
assigned posts, extreme weather conditions
Contract worker
Grant Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Good environment for a contract worker. Seasonal. Welcoming. Lowkey, low stress. Deadlines are known well in advance. Pleasant physical workspace. Supportive and engaged co-workers.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2018
A typical day would consist of meeting a lot of people from out of town.
It was fun and exciting.
I met celebrities.
The shows are great and fun to help with.
Pros
Meeting celebrities
Cons
Short term
Nice at first, but.....
Entertainment Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2018
The orientation is super deceiving. They tell you how great the company is and hype you up. They show all these videos that get you excited to work there. Management is very disoriented and not organized at all. Everything is constantly over budget. Very hard to advance and rarely any opportunities to do so. You get in trouble for sitting, making a quick phone call, and management treats everyone like they are children even if they are well into their 60s and have been there for years. They feel the company is on the level of Disney world but is no where near and is very cheap experience inside. They have a top floor that is strictly corporate and they make all the decisions there on what to do on the floor of operations without any of them actually knowing what it takes to be in the shoes of a true worker there. They are all salary based and swear that this job pays our bills so we should be doing more and will scold us for being human. Wants us to be robots and perform and misses the mark of showing true conservation efforts of animals. Thousands of complaints are made by guest and we have to take the rebuttal because of their poor budgeting and want us to make up for their incompetence. Nice animals but company itself is terrible to work for. No benefits at all for part time workers. Hours are constantly being cut to make room for corny half assed shows. Café food is disgusting and over priced even with the half off employee discount. Its $8 for a dry burger and tasteless rubbery fries. (Mind you this is what employees pay) customers pay at least $15 for that. This whole  more... aquarium is a scam and will throw you under the bus for their incompetence.  less
Its okay place to work
Safety and security officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2018
Decent place to work, free tickets or pass for friends and family. Security was treated as bottom rung compared to other departments. Managers and other staff were very rude.
Pros
Free passes
Cons
Rude managers
is a fun productive work place. interact with people all over the world.
Guest Service Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 25, 2014
what I like the most about working at Aquarium is that I get to meet people all over the world. I love to interact people it makes my day better.. it improved my interaction with people with different culture and languages. I like my co-workers they are very welcoming and kind. as far as my management go they all seem pretty nice and understanding. the hardest is being outside sometimes in the cold. my least favorite about is having to be in cold directing customers to the place. I'm a people person and I tend to get alone with everyone and I try to learn from others as well...
Pros
Meeting people from all over the world
Cons
short breaks, health coverage