Georgia Cyber Academy

• Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Ridiculous reports

Insane reports with little notice, for constantly changing rosters, from people who use to teach but forget how to do it. They say they give support, but when you ask they tell you they already did in a 40-page email. Now use this program no one else knows about and incorporate into daily routine for students

Pros

Work from home

The worst career move I've ever made. Not exaggeration.

Please listen to me and the other reviews. We're not just complaining or making things up. It's all work and you literally work 8-5, actually past that time. You're micromanaged and there's so many administrators, you can barely keep up who to ask for help. Many people are leaving already! We're just two months in. I really regret working here and if you're on the fence, please don't do it. I'm warning you. You'll regret it, too. Now, I'm stuck.

Pros

Matching 401k, virtual setting

Cons

No work life balance, too many admin and not enough teachers/staff, low pay, micromanaged

Horrible leadership

GCA pays EXTREMELY LOW and employess are are UNDERPAID. They are paying 2009 salaries in 2021 and you're not allowed to not have another job during the hours of 8am-5pm. DO NOT work here if you are not married or rich because they pay you in PEANUTS. GCA IS HORRIBLE.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid

Terrible Top Level Leadership

At GCA, the Head of School has never been an educator. This sets up a LOT of horrible decision making. Teachers had absolutely ZERO say in any decisions that affect them and were ignored or openly shot down if they tried to voice opinions. The students are the same as anywhere else and its nice to work from home, but more and more is added onto teachers every day and every year with less and less respect from upper management (HoS and "Directors"). Some great people working there that are being beaten down by busy work, foolish decisions (that were not thought through), and back door school politics.

Horrible place to work

Every year this company piles on the work for teachers. There is not enough time to get everything done 8-5, you will be working after hours or on weekends to stay caught up. You will be micromanaged by a lot of different administrators and expected to write pages of lesson plans. I have taught at many schools and the lesson plan format GCA uses is the most extensive I’ve ever seen. It’s nice to work from home but not when you’re tied to the computer all day and on weekends. This online school is too much like a brick and mortar school, expect you are not paid according to your educational experience or advanced degree. I would not recommend teaching here at all and this will be my last year here. I hope the school board reads all of these reviews from teachers and makes positive changes to improve the school because it’s not just teachers suffering - students are also overwhelmed with the work load and are only given a few minutes between each class.

Pros

Work from home, retirement matching

Cons

Micromanaged, time consuming, low pay, unrealistic expectations

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

It used to be good

It used to be a great place to work, but the higher ups have changed the structure and it became impossible to work there. A very high turnover of staff and students.

Work Expectations Too High

I read all the review and did not think they could all be true. I learned the hard way that they are most definitely true. There are so many principals and upper level people. My head was spinning with all the top position holders compared to the teachers. The many platforms and learning criteria was overwhelming. They definitely micro-manage you. The appeal of working from home was quickly cut short with the reality of all I would be doing was working from home ALL day! So, my advice to anyone reading this, listen to the reviews!!

Pros

Met some great teachers!

Cons

Information overload, micro-managed

Poor Leadership

I used to love my job at GCA, but over the past few years, management from the Head of School and district level personnel has become toxic. They continue to place people in positions with little to no experience. They make decisions based on lack of knowledge that have a direct impact on teachers and ultimately students.There is a culture of distrust, and no one feels safe to voice a thought or opinion. The 25 page contract states that they can demote or fire without just cause.

Pros

Teachers, working from home

Cons

Long work hours, unrealistic expectations, distrust, Head of School, HR department, Board doesn’t provide much oversight

Flexible

GCA is a mostly wonderful charter school with great administrators and room for advancement. The pay could be better but that is common for charter schools.

Pros

Supervisors, flexibility

Cons

Pay, work life balance

Toxic, Negative Environment

Working at GA Cyber Academy was one of the most toxic environments that I've ever experienced as an educator. I absolutely loved the students and some of the other teachers, but the workload was totally unrealistic. Our class sizes were extremely large. Simple processes were so complex and were changed often so we would have to unlearn and re-do things constantly. If you're considering working here, think again. Imagine spending nights and weekends working on the never-ending tasks that are constantly being added to your plate. Before you complete what's expected, you're told to do something different and also provided w/feedback from multiple people if you make mistakes. I didn't feel like my experience or passion for teaching were valued and leaving was absolutely the best decision for me! I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I'm now teaching at a different school where I'm valued as a professional, have a more balanced class size AND I'm paid what I'm worth. Good luck if you choose to work @ GA Cyber. I met some great people there but overall, the leadership is more concerned with money (how large their enrollment is) and metrics (testing, enrollment, attendance, etc.) than they are about people.

Pros

Professional Development, Excellent healthcare benefits

Cons

No Work Life Balance, Low Pay, Critical and Demanding Environment

Ineffective Leadership

This company has the potential to be great if under the right leadership. They forgot their purpose...education. Culture is toxic. Benefits are great.

Benefits

Cons

Ineffective Leadership

Needs an overhual

GCA definitely needs an overhual. Compared to other schools here in Georgia. The pay is very low but the workload Is heavy. You don’t get the same vacation days as other schools. The head of the school is an egotistical tyrant who manages like its North Korea. The culture is horrible.

I get to do what I love ....TEACH!! ❤❤ In a safe environment...HOME.🏡

When I first started working for this company I was very overwhelmed with the number of tasks I was expected to complete. There's A LOT of EXTRAS that are put on teachers. As the months have gone by, I have balanced my work/life schedule. I take my whole hour of lunch (no checking emails), I respond to messages when I can, and I don't allow it to stress me out! On most days I turn off my computer on time! I have established the boundaries needed so that I don't feel burdened by my workload. Seeing the students faces each day is the best part of my day. For some of them, I am the only interaction they have, especially during this pandemic. I have an extremely supportive & helpful team which has been a blessing. There's definitely A LOT that I could complain about, but honestly I'm just grateful to have a job and be able to do what I love. Oh and I finally can fit exercising in my schedule now...in F2F, I was never consistent with working out!

Pros

Teaching & Resources, Hour Lunch, Work from Home, Time for Self-Care

Cons

Workload, Micro-Management

Horrible experience

Where do I begin? High stress, Constantly micro managed, not enough training for the platforms/technology used, unrealistic deadlines, meetings after meetings, checklists after checklists, you’re constantly doing double work. Very low pay! Yes, you are working from home 8-5, but you have to work around the clock to get anything accomplished. High turnover among teachers. I would return to a brick and mortar setting in a heartbeat, even during Covid. All of the reviews are saying the same thing. Proceed with caution!

Terrible Leadership

Ten million bosses but 5 teachers. That's what it felt like. High demand for no pay. Must work from 5 am to 9pm to get some of their work complete and up to their forever changing standards. Go for it if working from home is your main priority and dont mind working around the clock sunday-sunday.

Pros

Home

Cons

Everything else

Worst place ever-stay away

Micromanaging to the hilt, constantly changing expectations, horrible pay. Disconnect between management and teachers. Worst mistake I ever made. Wish I could have those years of my life back.

Stay away

Work-life balanceWork life balance is non existing at GCA. Expect to always be on call, you will have supervisors call you after contract hours regularly. Workload is so large you are always working well past contract.Pay & benefitsMuch lower then other school districts. Pay is negotiable. You don't get paid enough for amount of work and stress.Job security and advancementTeacher turn over at GCA is really high. GCA can not keep teachers because of work conditions .ManagementGCA is really top heavy. Lots of manager roles but not enough actual staff to handle workload.CultureToxic work culture. High turn over. Way too many manager roles, every mistake is notedOverallTerrible school. This school has a teacher turnover rate high enough to compete with retail. The workload and expectations are completely unmanageable; you are expected to work after contract hours constantly to keep up with the workload in which everything is deemed urgent. You`re micro managed from a lot of different supervisors. You have no planning time. You teach 5 to 6 live classes a day and you're planning will be taken up by meetings 99% of the time.If you're a sped teacher,expect 4 or more IEP meetings a week plus every other kind of meeting they have. Expect class sizes of 100 and expect a sped caseload of 20 to 50 kids. Expect completely unrealistc expectations that will cause your hair to fall out from stress. It really was the worse teaching experience I have ever had.

Management not on the same page

I was hired for HR file clerk in a temporary status. The job was easy and seemed simple until I got to know the woman who was my boss. She is very unprofessional and likes to micro manage. For her to have the title of Assistant HR Director, she is not very personable and never has time to explain anything. She made me feel uncomfortable and I end up leaving the job after three weeks. The Director of HR is very knowledgeable and is completely opposite of the assistant director. The ppl are nice but to have a boss who is petty isn't healthy for business.

Stressful

Work is stressful and admin is not supportive as expected. Leads are great and give positive feedback and help where possible. Anyone else above the leads are not as supportive and always have unrealistic expectations.

Pros

work from home?

Cons

work overload and everyday something is high priority

Overwhelming Workload, Poor Compensation

The teaching and meeting schedule leaves no time for planning and grading during normal work hours. The workload is much heavier than a brick and mortar school; it’s not unusual for teachers to work late into the evening and through the weekend. There is an ever-growing list of busywork tasks that must be completed on a deadline or else. Pay runs about 33% less than other public schools. High stress, poor work/life balance, poor pay.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Low salary, no flexibility, heavy workload.

Great students/teachers, inconsiderate Sped hierarchy, unrealistic workload

Loved students /working home. Loved the genuine staff. HR- kind MS Sped management narcissistic, discouraging, unable to connect with diverse staff

Pros

Working from home and with students, good benefits

Cons

Cliquish, Sped management- poor people skills, long hrs., Unrealistic expectations and workload

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Cyber Academy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6