Georgia Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Great place
General Office Clerk and adminstative assistsnt (Former Employee) –  Chester, GANovember 7, 2018
I worked with the staff their I was incarcerated their they gave me a job staff friendly and I learned a lot working their it was an Amazin experience
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Reidsville, GANovember 5, 2018
Really enjoyed my job. Learned much and was able to push myself on a daily basis. Always something new never the same when going into work. Would love to be back in there.
ability to gain new experiences
Account Payable Associate (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GAOctober 31, 2018
fast paced environment was a plus for me
supervisors allowed opportunities to learn other positions
salary did compensate with job requirements
huge agency ability to transfer
benefits were expensive
Correction officer
Intake Officer/Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAOctober 30, 2018
A typical day is to get the inmate in and out to house . Intake is a very classified job fingerprint mug shot GCIC record. I love work with my Sgt,and Caption. there is nothing hard about my job. enjoyed it.
Department of corrections is an ok institution to work for.
Probation Officer II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2018
Department of Corrections is an ok institution to work for. Paid annual and sick leave available. Performance reviews help for a better working environment.
Laid back atmosphere
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GAOctober 18, 2018
A typical work day started with getting inventory ready for distribution. I learned some innovative techniques. There were different management styles, depending on the individual.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Good job, just became stressful
Officer (Former Employee) –  Sparta, GAOctober 9, 2018
Great job sometimes the stress was too much to handle. Loved my Warden and Administrators. Would be a great place to retire for someone coming in the system. Working for The Georgia Department of Corrections was a great experience. I experienced something new on a daily basis.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful
Stressful
PEACE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Hawkinsville, GAOctober 8, 2018
You must be alert and thinking 10 steps ahead at all times because if not, it is easy to fall for inmate traps as well as getting caught up with unnecessary co-worker issues. Never discuss anything personal with co-workers as well as inmates because it can work against you.
Benefits
Cons
no breaks, stressful a lot of time away from home at times
Great place for advancement in law enforcement
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 5, 2018
GA Dept of Corrections has wonderful training, and it is a great place to advance. The thing is that the pay is not that great for work you have to do.
Pros
Training
Cons
Pay
currently at a Transitional center.
n/a (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaOctober 4, 2018
i do not work for the department of corrections .I am currently a resident at the Clayton Transitional Center.and was just hoping for an opportunity to work full time and save up money to help support my daughter who was just born in July.

Want to know more about Georgia Department of Corrections?

Ask a question
The summary
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 1, 2018
To really make it with GDC you either have to know someone higher up or be really good at kissing up. The pay was decent but the pay for wehat you do is not even close to being correct. The pay needs to be raised for correctional officers. The overal day of a officer really isnt that bad, but you have to watch your back more or less for other officers.
Pros
Job will always be there.
Cons
Long hours, Little family time
Fast pace and challenging
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GAOctober 1, 2018
I learned a lot from working there. A typical began with processing orders and filling them. Management was fair in their treatment of employees. The hardest part of the job was processing last minute orders. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the clientele.
Pros
Free lunches from time to time
Cons
Because of temporary status, no benefits
just a job
Corrections Officer I (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GASeptember 29, 2018
I worked there for about 6mos & found a better job paying more and with better benefits. Other than it being a job to take your family, it was stressful place of employment.
Stressful but pay is good
CSM Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Forsyth, GASeptember 26, 2018
Every day is different. Some days are stressful and some are boring. Depending on which shift you are on, expect to work very long hours (12+) with no break (literally none). Management is a very political atmosphere and the entire supervisory team is more of a who you know, rather than what you know deal. School training is pretty good, but the on the job training where you really need to learn is a joke. However, you're coworkers here really do become like family (or high school, depends on how you look at it). The pay is pretty decent, but not for what you have to deal with in the dorms.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No breaks, long hours, never get overtime pay
in my opinion
Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, GASeptember 19, 2018
Stressful, no camaraderie. To much gossip and back biting . A typical day consist of begging people to do what should be done any way. Management is busy fighting and under minding each other to be concerned with subordinates. The hardest part of the job is getting people to work together for the greater good of the department
Pros
Meeting people for all walks of life
Cons
Being treated like an offender
Great job to learn the basics and then move on.
Portal Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Buford, GASeptember 18, 2018
This job is high stress and very political. No advancements unless your well liked. Supervisors are not willing to teach. There is no home /work balance. Hours are long, you can not leave until your properly relieved and sometimes relief is 2-3 hours late. They care more about the institutions than staff.
Not the best place to work
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Grovetown, GASeptember 18, 2018
I've worked for Georgia Department of Corrections for almost 4 years, and if you like being treated worse than inmates then this is the place for you. Every single day you will put on a uniform and go into a building where no one cares about your well being. You will be in this building with 150+ inmates, convicted felons! And you will have NO ONE that has your back! If you can avoid GDC by all means please do! This is not a place you want to work.
Great
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 16, 2018
Nice people doing great things. Normal paced environment with ample amount of internal growth opportunities. Great management and welcoming staff. Good people.
Exciting Place to work butit is currently closed
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GASeptember 15, 2018
I enjoyed working at this prison and working in the control room and with other staff. The inmates were good to work with, I learned that regardless of the crime that everyone should be treated the way you would want to be treated.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Long work Hours
Pleasant atmosphere
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GASeptember 8, 2018
The facility was all about teamwork. They were very understandable about having to take time out of work. They were very friendly and concerning. Family orientated
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Shortage of staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Department of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.4InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

1.2Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight