Georgia Department of Public Health
67Average

Georgia Department of Public Health Employee Reviews

United States129 reviews
Good
Good..... great employers.... gain experience . Different position at the dept of public health easy for transportation. Great staff and management. Great
Accepting and furthering of my education
Working at the Georgia Department of Public Health was imperative to my public health career. They helped sculpt me into the public health professional I am today. I was able to grow and prove myself and my abilities.
Pros
Opportunity to grow and succeed
Cons
N/a
Benefits are good, but not much else
Benefits are good. Pay is not. Miscommunication between management and employees adds to a confusing and tense work atmosphere. Overall, not worth it.
Management needs to be overhauled
Management stuck in their ways and does not hold supervisors accountable for their actions
No appreciation for employees

No room for growth w/i Dept
Horrible Experience
Management was horrible in the program that I worked in. Manager was a very unprofessional leader and was not knowledgeable about the positions. It was often times when the manager would ask that you work overtime, but wouldn’t allow you to comp time at a later date. Very low pay.
Needs some work
Although DPH is job security, management needs a complete overhaul. Lots of things that happen should not and management does nothing to ensure that their employees are backed.
Informative environment
Learned a lot while at the lab. They do so much and are such a great group of people. Enjoyed working with the team at the lab. Tons more work to be done for the State.
N/a
My experience with the Ga Dept of Public Health was very rewarding. They allowed opportunities for advancement and you are able to have a good work/home life balance.
The company lacks a vision of innovation.
The co-worker were nice to work with. However, systems and processes are far behind industry standards. The mission of f the organization is on par. In my opinion, resources are just not available.
Very Family Oriented, Pretty good benefits.
Overall, a great place to work with a weekly Monday - Friday day shift 8 am - 5 pm schedule. In my own personal opinion, Management could have been better, for example, they called out sick a lot, was late for work daily, and couldn't answer many questions when asked. :-( The pay wasn't very good, the benefits were decent. I loved my job and loved caring for the patients.
Benefits are the best!
Benefits, benefits, benefits; no other industry offers better! Makes up for the lower pay. Holidays are also an amazing benefit and other state perks.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Pay
Would Never Recommend
Sub-par work culture where contractors were alienated and excluded from critical meetings and information. The pay through the contracted agency was good, and there was flexibility with work hours, but there were often disruptive behaviors, inappropriate comments, or conversations in surrounding cubicles which made the environment undesirable. Only attended ONE staff meeting, one week prior to departure.
Stressful Hostile Environment
Cut throat backbitting poor leadership Jealously, envy high turnarounds..unfriendly, Supervisor unprofessional, rude and they do not make you feel comfortable
Cons
Poor leadership
Horrible place to work
To start with this company hides the fact that they pay once a month! They do not have a employee's handbook they make up rules as they go. The management sits in meetings and make you feel nothing. Stating everyone at this table is replaceable and GA is a at will state. Yes everyone knows that and do not need to be reminded constantly. Directors and managers are over depts and have no knowledge of what needs to be done when employees need help they have to turn to other districts.
HR is bias, unethical, & poor leadership
Give raises to their leadership and not employees. They are all corrupt and want you to keep you mouth shut of their unethical practices. HR tries to fire people who blow the whistle.
Mission-Driven
Great organization with talented professionals who are passionate about the work they do to protect the lives of all Georgia citizens. Limited resources create challenges with recruitment and retention.
DPH Review
Ok place to begin but if you’re looking for growth this isnt the place for you. Be comfortable with amount of money offered because you will only get the mandated state increase of 2-3% increase each year. Upper management is biased and everyone else is beneath them. It could be a better place to work if upper management cared!
Pros
Mon-Fri
Cons
Must assist in disaster relief no matter what!
group assignments
my time spent at the Georgia public health department was for an internship. mainly college students who were seeking experience attended and their were plenty opportunities to collaborate with one another.
Pros
guest speakers
Cons
once every two weeks that we met up
Satisfied and ready for growth
I am currently working a temporary position here with DPH. Unfortunately they are having budget cuts so they are not hiring for any positions. My job allowed me to be cross trained in all departments. I really enjoy working here.
Benefits and Diversity
There is a small diverse group of people that work here. The majority that work here are females. The biggest benefit working here is the sick/annual leave time you receive and you get all state/federal holidays off.
It was not a fun place.
The head of the Department of Public Health, she was extremely kind and funny. one could approach her any time, and she would welcome you.
I had my worst time with my colleagues , they did not like my color, and I could hear remarks all the time.

I cried most of the time while driving home.

I do not like talking bad about people who are not here.

I do not like to quarrel with any one, so I kept my self quiet.

I was miserable, and left as soon as my contact expired.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Department of Public Health. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight