Georgia Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

accountant
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 6, 2018
the culture on the 8th floor is horrible. as many times as one will make complaints, nothing gets done. the entire management team needs professional development training. the work environment is very toxic. you are not promoted based on merit or work performance, you are promoted and treated based on if you want to open your personal life up and become close friends with management.
Great place for a career
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA MidtownOctober 18, 2018
I worked there 10 years and retired with pension. I enjoyed my tenure there and was of the age to retire. I had some wonderful managers and loved my job. The commute was awful, as it was downtown Atlanta traffic to midtown.
Pros
Job Stability, great management
Cons
Traffic and poor salary as public employees
Construction Estimator Liaison (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAOctober 11, 2018
I have worked at GDOT for 25 years. It is a great place to work. I didn’t make a lot of money when I first started but after a few years started making pretty good money. There is lots of room for advancement within the department. I have changed jobs 6 times and got raises every position change. Good benefits and insurance also. Hours of work are flexible depending on where you work and who you work for.
Great place to work for the benefits
Assistant HMF (Routine Maintenance) (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAOctober 3, 2018
I liked what I did and where I worked. I loved the hours. If you're looking for good benefits, but not expecting good pay, this is the place to be. Great benefits.
Great place to grow
MASTER OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30324September 27, 2018
Great place to grow and learn. Room for enhancement. People there have a wealth of knowledge and provides the citizens of Ga with a unit there to help in need.
Decent benefits but does not support employee growth
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Tifton, GASeptember 13, 2018
GDOT does not value employees work experience and does not encourage promotion. Especially does not value women employees.
No one can have an opinion or speak their grievances without being punished. Supervisors help themselves not their employees.
good place to work
Civil Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GASeptember 11, 2018
i like the flexibility and the opportunities to learn. Environment and people are good and the department is making some effort to keep employees by trying to match as much as they can the private sector.
Never a dull moment
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAAugust 21, 2018
Lots of departments and staff.
Construction and Maintenance and then there's the entire General Office and the field districts. It's a lot. Great leadership, great work life balance. Not enough personal growth or development, no career ladders in certain positions.
Okay Place to Work, But Dynamic Has Changed
full-time member (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 16, 2018
GDOT used to be an awesome place to work and gain experience, but the dynamic has changed. Focus of working for GDOT has changed from hiring local good colleges graduates to consulting out their positions.
Being an older worker, the state looks at your abilities, not your age.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2018
Great place to work. Relaxed environment and job perks are awesome. Good work and dedication is recognized and appreciated regularly. Actually am treated like and adult.

Want to know more about Georgia Department of Transportation?

Ask a question
Good CDL Starting Company
Highway Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, GA 31029August 14, 2018
This is a good place to work that offer CDL training.
The job was really laid back and duties were common outside and road detail. I really liked the job.
strict and dangerous
Champ Operator (Current Employee) –  Thomaston, GAJuly 7, 2018
long work week, no set schedule, schedule made 3 weeks in advance, good communication, no bonus plan at all, contract job with no future, and insurance is not great.
work environment
Right of Way Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Chamblee, GAJune 21, 2018
the work environment was typical of government agencies. The had decent benefits and a flexible schedule. t They didn't have standard training.
There was not much room for advancement in certain departments
Its not a good day to ask me about my job
Communications Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJune 7, 2018
Just frustrated with government processes and procedures always coming to me as an excuse with little to no solutions or accountability. I guess the opportunities seem to be for the engineering professionals.
Good
FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  MT Vernon , GaMay 22, 2018
Good place to work , benefits, you can accur sick and annual leave for time off with pay . There are a lot of good people working there that will help you if you have any questions.
It was a great job
E01-3 Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparta, GAMay 21, 2018
I love working for that company. I would recommend anyone to work there. All of the managers that work there was really good and understanding on helping you learn the job
Georgia Department of Transportation
Internship (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 8, 2018
My internship at Georgia Department of Transportation was great. I was able to learn a lot about how Georgia works to keep the roads, highways and bridges maintained. I was able to meet and make contact with several key individuals and I learned valuable information such as, how to read construction plans, the pay scale for every job, how to identify work hazards, and exposure to a construction site from the bottom to the top levels.
Pros
Hands on work
Cons
length of internship
Good place to start
Construction Project Manager II (Former Employee) –  Perry, GAApril 30, 2018
Great place to start as an entry level manager out of college. Benefits are good but pay is mediocre at best. Stable and safe environment to work. plus
Collegial
Policy Analyst and Legislative Liaison (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2018
Overall, a very collegial workplace. People work very hard there, but there's a good sense of community and generally the workplace culture is supportive.
Gdot
Contracts Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 8, 2018
Loved working at GDoT. Fellow co-workers were the best who worked well as a team. Everyone was very willing to provide information and knowledge. Great benefits. Would work there again.
Pros
Good Fellas is across the street.
Cons
Low pay.