Georgia Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

I really enjoyed working with the company
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2019
Within my 18yrs of working with this company i learned alot about construction, maintenance, and leadership. I learned about what it takes to be a great leader and how to work as a team.
Excellent agency to work for.
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Dillingham, AKFebruary 22, 2019
The Federal Aviation Administration is an excellent agency to work for it's goal oriented. The goal was always the safe and expeditious movement of aircraft. Management is usually supportive. The most difficult part has to be minutes of boredom followed seconds of air traffic madness. It can create great satisfaction knowing you did your job well.
Pros
Working with pilots
Cons
Remote locations with limited activities.
Communications Tech II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 15, 2019
On a typical work day the workflow is consistent but not overwhelming.
Management is understanding.
Work culture is semi-formal
The most enjoyable part of my job is my co-workers and the vendors.
Productive/Challenges
Maintenance Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2019
A typical day answering in coming phone calls from the public/maintenance employees.Data entry in the system called GAMS Georgia Assets Management System.Has access to people soft Submits Requisitions to ensure maintenance has needed goods and service.Files/stores documents.Has access to fleet to assign vehicles/heavy equipment, wex cards.makes decision without Management.
Management is great we have a productive work place .There is no hard part sometimes there challenges.The most enjoyable part to hear/ see how customers appreciate your assistance.
Oustanding environment
Senior Aviation Safety Inspector (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2019
An outstanding environment..nothing but praise for the agency and people supporting the actions. The growth and availability to learn and advance are unmatched.
Pros
The people and learning the craft
Cons
Na
Fun job with very easy going people
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Blakely, GAJanuary 10, 2019
Very laid back people to work with, help was offered when needed. Enjoyed the freedom of outside work and still worked even on rainy days. The pay was just not enough and never got a raise.
Productive environment treated with respect.
Equipment Operator 1 (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GADecember 26, 2018
I worked in road maintenance the work was repetitive and hard work we were always understaffed. In this type of work environment being understaffed and not enough pay is hard the company benefits were definitely a plus.I learned and worked really hard when I was there I am eligible for rehire and would go back in a different department.
Pros
company benifits
Cons
low pay not enough help.
accountant
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 6, 2018
the culture on the 8th floor is horrible. as many times as one will make complaints, nothing gets done. the entire management team needs professional development training. the work environment is very toxic. you are not promoted based on merit or work performance, you are promoted and treated based on if you want to open your personal life up and become close friends with management.
Productive and fun place to work.
Program Associate/ Equipment Operator 1, 2 & 3 (Former Employee) –  Glennville, GANovember 3, 2018
The one hour commute each way did take a toll on me. I did enjoy my coworkers and our professional relationship. We worked as a team to accomplish our duties.
Pros
The work schedule allowed me to have 3 day weekends every week.
Cons
no overtime
great job
Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2018
this was a great job that allows for advancement and relocation. it can be hard to get into but if you are fortunate enough to get into this field is has great potential. it is very challenging and if you are not able to pass all criterion you can find yourself without a career very fast.
Not worth the stress
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 22, 2018
You are required to pay to park many consultants pay as much as 100.00 a month for parking. You must drive your own car to the different offices to train...GDOT do reimbursed for expenses but its a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle. If you work any overtime you must leave early on another day during that week (no paid over 40 hours) Management was nice for the most part but sometimes talk down to you as if you were a child. Hourly wage extremely low for the position and the cost to do the job was stressful. Job culture and employees were nice to work with.
Pros
In the heart of Midtown Atlanta and across from Marta
Cons
Stressful, not allowed to drive GDOT vehicles to do your job, even though consultants in the field office are allowed to drive the vehicles to do their jobs.
It's In the Title
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 20, 2018
If you don't have Engineer of some sort in your title, you can forget about a promotion. Being ex-military, having served over 20 years, I feel that the military has afforded me the opportunity to me a leader/manager. That's not the case in the DOT. They would rather promote someone that has no people skills whatsoever. KNOW YOUR PEOPLE first! Protect them and they will protect you.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Untrained Management
Great place for a career
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA MidtownOctober 18, 2018
I worked there 10 years and retired with pension. I enjoyed my tenure there and was of the age to retire. I had some wonderful managers and loved my job. The commute was awful, as it was downtown Atlanta traffic to midtown.
Pros
Job Stability, great management
Cons
Traffic and poor salary as public employees
Construction Estimator Liaison (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAOctober 11, 2018
I have worked at GDOT for 25 years. It is a great place to work. I didn’t make a lot of money when I first started but after a few years started making pretty good money. There is lots of room for advancement within the department. I have changed jobs 6 times and got raises every position change. Good benefits and insurance also. Hours of work are flexible depending on where you work and who you work for.
Great place to work for the benefits
Assistant HMF (Routine Maintenance) (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAOctober 3, 2018
I liked what I did and where I worked. I loved the hours. If you're looking for good benefits, but not expecting good pay, this is the place to be. Great benefits.
Great place to grow
MASTER OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30324September 27, 2018
Great place to grow and learn. Room for enhancement. People there have a wealth of knowledge and provides the citizens of Ga with a unit there to help in need.
Extremely high turnover; Horrible management in support
Application Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 20, 2018
Run from this company! Management belittles the people and fires for no reason at all. They treat their people bad here. Do not waste your time. Management screams and talks down on people.
Decent benefits but does not support employee growth
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Tifton, GASeptember 13, 2018
GDOT does not value employees work experience and does not encourage promotion. Especially does not value women employees.
No one can have an opinion or speak their grievances without being punished. Supervisors help themselves not their employees.
good place to work
Civil Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GASeptember 11, 2018
i like the flexibility and the opportunities to learn. Environment and people are good and the department is making some effort to keep employees by trying to match as much as they can the private sector.
Worked on contact to the DoT
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2018
I don't feel qualified to judge the Department of Transportation as an employer due to the fact that I did not work for the Department of Transportation directly.