Georgia State University Employee Reviews

High level of accountability but fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Georgia State Recreational CenterJune 18, 2018
As a supervisor, You are in depended on throughout the workplace. Its hard dealing with different situations at the workplace, however its certainly a great experience to take in the professional field. Emergency situations occur frequently and as supervisor, punctuality is taken extremely serious. It is a great way to develop high level relationships.
Okay for a state job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 7, 2018
Not fulfiling on its own, pays the bills. Advancement or at least job title changes and pay increases are possible. Retirement package is decent, again nothing to write home about.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
salary and extremely corporate environment
It's Ok
Enrollment Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 3, 2018
My office is pretty laid back but the commute is terrible. The pay isn't enough for what you do, nor enough to live on. You have to pay for parking and of course insurance increases every year so you end up taking home less pay every year than the first year you started. The pay is uneven because of the merger so some who were at one university make more than others for doing the same job. A lot of people don't really work but still get paid, there are no consequences to poor behavior. Some managers play favorites.
Pros
It's full time
Cons
Low pay, you have to pay for parking
Good environment to work in.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2018
Overall, a very positive experience and would recommend to anyone wanting to work here. Easy to access via freeway and otherwise and stimulating environment.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, good comraderie
Cons
Upward mobility; lack of structure
fun place
Graduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2018
I only worked as a research assistant to cover tuition cost. Professors are very friendly. Great opportunity to meet other professionals . It is an interesting workplace.
Great Choice
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2018
Good opportunity to set foot in door. Allowed me to get an internship/co-op. Learned about active directory, understanding computers as a whole and troubleshooted issues.
working at GSU provided me with good experience
Language lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAMay 20, 2018
During my first position at Georgia state university at the library, I had a great boss she taught me some of the library skills such as shelving, cataloging, and many other good skills. The next position was somewhat different I was the working at the learning and tutoring center, which gave me the opportunity to build my communication skills. In my last job, I had the experience to be in charge of the university's language lab, this passion added leadership, and teaching to my skills list.
very productive
Georgia state college (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2018
answering phone, faxing using the computer, there was 10 purchasing employees .I learned to be multi-tasked. There was plenty of workplace culture.The hardest thing was getting there on the train.The most enjoyable part where the people I worked with.
Ta
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2018
I was a TA. I don't have much to say. They waived tuition, so that was nice. Pay wasn't great, but I didn't have too much to do either. Decent place to TA?
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2018
Georgia State is a university so there is always a chance for work-life balance and socialization.No man is an island at this university because it is such a collaborative environment.
Collaborative
Program coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2018
The AL department at GSU is very fun. The teacher and students work together and have great international programs. I was able to meet and help so many International students, and also do tasks that accompanied my graduate studies.
Pros
Flexible
Do not feel comfortable reviewing
Graduate Research Assistant Institute (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2018
I was a student at Georgia State University. I working in the laboratories as a graduate assistant. Mainly I worked independently while taking multiple classes to finish my degree. Because of the nature of my studies and the nature of the work I did at GSU I do not feel comfortable reviewing the university.
Stressfull
Zone Chief (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2018
Due to poor management low productivity, lack of diversify work culture. Work environment are based on personal liking not performance based. Self and employers are interest overlooked.
Pros
Huge scope of learning environment
Cons
Lack of proper managent resources are wasted.
Productive interactive
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2018
-Lesson planning during the week
-Teaching students (grades 7-8 )
-Field trips to various places
-$100 food card that you can use on the GSU campus
Pros
Fun, Paid field trips
Cons
Low stipend
Renovations department ran buy rusell wham is a disaster
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2018
Most of the workers in the renovation department a retrue skilled professionals. But management is not the best phrase planters. Therefore the job gets behind in many instances. The management rusell wham blames the worker's which have no control over the phases, which leades to poor morale.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Morale is bad
Great first job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2018
Worked in the office of scheduling and reporting as a receptionist as part of the work study program. They catered to my schedule and it was so easy and relaxing.
Pros
Flexibility, off weekends and after 5
Primary Duties
Administrative Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 8, 2018
Provides administrative support for the division with primary support function involving Front Desk Management. Maintaining and coordinating the schedule for (8) eight conference room for all Georgia State campus within the Atlanta metro area. Supports the processors and Business Manager with various functions including and preparing the distributing bi-weekly tracking report, enter shopping carts into Panther Mart for all furniture and equipment orders needed by Project Managers and Directors for all construction projects within all Atlanta GSU campus. Assist with logging and updating the electronic database for project drawings. Working with Facilities Information Systems unit to catalog the project drawing received.
Pros
Hours, Pleasant Work Environment
Cons
Wages, No Succession Plan for Growth Potential
Graduate research assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2018
I studied at GSU my Masters degree in finance. It is a great school with excellent professors.I use to work in the risk management department. Great place to work and learn.
Great Staff
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2018
The staff I worked with was excellent, they also made the job very fun. The supervisor was very straight forward but was also a great leader. This was a very hard position to receive but I feel it was very worth it, only bad part is the position was only open semesterly.
Work Study Program
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 2, 2018
I was a work study student assistant for GSU. I ultimately enjoyed the experience despite the limits of the program/budget as it was a nice preview of working in an office environment. Even 4 years later, the experience was more relaxing and conducive to improving personal skills than my following full-time employment was.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Work Study Program - Not a real Full Time Job.