Georgia State University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Na
Human Resources- HRIS Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 8, 2018
I just thought working downtown would be more professional with nice working environment, work space and nice bathroom. Well I work in One Park Place and it needs a lot of work.
Good for students
Student Assistant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 3, 2018
You should work here if you are a college student. You can pick your own schedule but you can only work 20 hours a week if you are a full time student. I enjoyed working here as a student and it kept money in my pocket.
Bookstore
Textbook associate (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GAOctober 2, 2018
Not really a learning matter since organization is a fundamental skill acquired before college. I learned how to adjust to their system of organization.
Quiet and engaging work area with helpful team members to accomplish tasks
BACKEND WEB DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 1, 2018
The workplace and culture allows for positive group and team participation. Weekly code checkups and team meetings allow for constant feedback as well
Pros
Good Teams, Good Pay for Student Interns and Quiet Work Environments
Cons
Technologies that are quiet antiquated
Great place of work.
Technical Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 30, 2018
I am always trusted to do my job and the environment is great. The people are fun and easy to get along with and the students put for an excellent willingness to learn.
It was a job that I truly enjoyed
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 26, 2018
It was job security for my family. This University picks and chooses who promotes up and who stays dormant. If your not a favorite. You will know it!

And That's MY Bottom line.
Pros
My Family was taking care of.
Cons
There's not enough space for it.
Family-Like Culture
Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2018
A community that is swilling to help make your job easier. Management could be improved but there is a lot of opportunity to branch out to do other things.
Pros
Culture, tuiton benefit, reasonable pay
Cons
Parking and traffic is a nightmare
it was fun
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 18, 2018
carried out the actions of the project as were assigned and focused on what could be done to help the team productivity. the hardest part about the job lays in the distance and traffic for anyone not leaving near the college.
Great School
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 7, 2018
Great school in the heart of Atlanta. Very pracademic in nature and a perfect thriving environment for those who love the city life. That's all I have to say about that.
Why work here
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 6, 2018
If you are a contractor which I was. You are a mere step-child, you should prepare for that and it will no be easy. This was just not a good career move.
Pros
downtown
Cons
management as a contractor is not good at all
Alright place to work; great school to attend
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 5, 2018
Alright place to work; great school to attend

Wish staff received more pay for the expectations placed upon us. A not-for-profit organization that feels like it's run with the purpose to operate on a shoestring staff and budget but still service over 50,000 students - not acceptable
Pros
Central location, nice people
Cons
Poor compensation
Great Benefits!
GCIC Manager, Marketing and Training (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2018
I have no been employed long enough to know all that Georgia State has to offer, but initially I can say they have great benefits. Each department is different, and the University is very large, so every experience may be different.
Benefits
Quick-paced environment, but lack a proper work life balance
Hospitality Administration Training Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 24, 2018
Within Georgia State University, I worked in University Housing department. Inside of University Housing, I worked inside of Conference Services. My typical day would be working about 8-12 hours a day working on the journal entries given for the revenue of Conference Services for the summer, or completing hospitality tasks with my staff. Most of the time I did not have a set schedule I working. I could work 9am-5pm, or 2pm-12am. My hours fell between those two brackets typically. I did work 5-6 days a week for a while. I never had time to recuperate from the week before starting the next week. The hardest part was stopping my accountant intern work, and focus on helping the staff with hospitality administration and prepping for groups over 100, while the staff was piled with other tasks including helping the guests who already checked in. The most enjoyable part was making contracts, balance sheets, inventory sheets, journal entries, and reconciled the accounts to make sure we had the correct amount of revenue coming in.
Low Pay
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2018
Pay is not competitive with other universities.
Minimal pay but they require high credentials.
I would work there to gain work experience but not as a long term career.
Shocking that any academic advisors still work there
Former Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2018
I am so glad to have left that place. The academic advising center is the place where your enthusiasm for student success goes to die. The workload is ridiculous and the most important part of the job was keeping logs to ensure numbers and goals were being met. It was no longer about customer service, it became more of an unbearable data entry job where you had managers breathing down your neck all day everyday. There are some great people who work in the center (I am hoping many of them got out already), and I feel like I watched them spiral into an abyss of misery from when they started working there. You know all those quotes and memes and theories about being a leader and not a manager, or treating employees well and they will give 100% and invest in your company? I think GSU missed the memo. There are a couple of good managers there, I hope they find better jobs soon too because they just get abused from the top, it is disgusting. The morale, seriously, could not possibly be any lower than it is. The worst part is the academic advisor II's at Georgia Tech make almost as much, if not more than the assistant directors at GSU. The salary is an abomination for all the pressure put on advisors and I wish that all the advisors would just get up and walk out one day. There are a couple there that deserve the torture, but the rest are good people that deserve better.
Pros
You can use TAP to earn additional degrees. You get a lot of free pens. It's in Atlanta.
Cons
Bad management, low salaries, horrible morale, It is in Atlanta and to live off of the low salary you have to commute from the suburbs.
The best job ever!
FACILITY SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 20, 2018
The job is great when you are a full-time student and looking to earn a little money on the side. Working in a gym is a blessing because you meet so many student athletes and you have a lot of time to get to know the staff and work out on your own time. I'd recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Hours were limited
Great university to work for, relaxed in the academic department
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAAugust 16, 2018
Sr Admin Assistant in which I learned great office management and administrative skills while assisting 50+ professors and 3 department chairs for 10.5 years. I began in 2007 as a Secretary then got promoted as an Administrative Secretary. I was later promoted to Sr. Administrative Assistant. I was employed from 2007-2018. The most enjoyable part of work was working with all the students and professors and co-workers; they were all very nice. The hardest part was fulfilling the needs of professors who were not self sufficient; only a few. Also when classes did not make, having to call the PT professors and tell them that their classes would be taken over by a FT in order to meet the FT faculty work load. I really hated to do this when classes were cancelled frequently. Also the great part was the freedom of doing my job without someone over my shoulder and trusting me that I will get the job done. Overall a great university to work for. The other skills obtained while there:
• Over 12 years of office administration in Higher Education
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong public speaking and presentation skills
• Exemplary customer service and work ethic
• Certificate (Exceptional Customer Service Completion)
• Microsoft Office, BANNER, eFollett/Discover, SMARTS
• Time management skills, energetic, and enthusiastic
• Superb organizational skills, detail oriented & multitasker
• Great problem-solver, team-player & “people person”
• Excellent managerial, supervisory & leadership experience
• Certificate (Caught Doing Something Right Program)
  more...
• PeopleSoft, ePro, PawPrints, DegreeWorks, iCollege
• Hiring Committee for Dean Admin Asst. May 2015
• Learn quickly, work efficiently and accurately
Pros
Great co-workers and great working environment
Cons
Needed more monew for the experience and degree obtained
Boring and useless place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2018
Worked in public safety worst department to work for no advancement low moral stupid magament no knowledge of security no authority we were just dummy sitting in a chair management was never on the security officer side horrible place to work
nice environment
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody GAAugust 13, 2018
good place to work and start a great career
Great team players
Good environment
Management style fairly good
Hardest part of the job, not have good defensive weaapons
Everyday is a Learning Experience
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta GAAugust 6, 2018
There really isn't a typical day, which I enjoy. I learn something new everyday. Some weeks I am busy keying in requisition for the Vice President, 8 Directors, 20 Project Managers, each requisition has a three day turn round as far as communication, review and approval.

I am also the point of contact for reserving conference rooms in The Brown Bennett Building. The rooms can be reserved by GSU Facility and Staff from the downtown campus as well as the satellite campus in and around Atlanta. I help train and develop the set up team, and communicate with the IT Department if audio visual equipment and Panther Dining if catering is needed.

I am the point of contact for set up Vendor meetings for the Project Managers and Directors. The coordinate with the vendors on time, date and where and send the invites out to specific Project Mangers depending on the industry the vendor is representing.
Pros
Work Life Balance / Management / Job Secuirty
Cons
Compensation / Paying for Parking / Does Not Foster Teamwork and Collaboration