Georgia State University Employee Reviews

Everyday is a Learning Experience
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta GAAugust 6, 2018
There really isn't a typical day, which I enjoy. I learn something new everyday. Some weeks I am busy keying in requisition for the Vice President, 8 Directors, 20 Project Managers, each requisition has a three day turn round as far as communication, review and approval.

I am also the point of contact for reserving conference rooms in The Brown Bennett Building. The rooms can be reserved by GSU Facility and Staff from the downtown campus as well as the satellite campus in and around Atlanta. I help train and develop the set up team, and communicate with the IT Department if audio visual equipment and Panther Dining if catering is needed.

I am the point of contact for set up Vendor meetings for the Project Managers and Directors. The coordinate with the vendors on time, date and where and send the invites out to specific Project Mangers depending on the industry the vendor is representing.
Pros
Work Life Balance / Management / Job Secuirty
Cons
Compensation / Paying for Parking / Does Not Foster Teamwork and Collaboration
Reasonable place to work. Workload can be a bit overwhelming often.
STUDENT RELATIONS COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2019
The actual work I do is meaningful. There is a slight corporate culture. Speaking freely isn't encouraged or appreciated even when asked. Management can be difficult to work with often. Working with students is difficult but rewarding. The growth of the university is the biggest accomplishment and hindrance at the same time.
Student Financial Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GA 30034November 2, 2018
I have worked at GSU for over 10 years. I have learned a lot over the years. The benefits are great, management is great and I have worked with a great team over the years.
love the benefits
Laboratory Animal Care Technician III (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2019
I really enjoyed working there. The pay is good with great benefits. Management is flexible with schedules and address any issues you may have promptly.
Family-Like Culture
Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2018
A community that is swilling to help make your job easier. Management could be improved but there is a lot of opportunity to branch out to do other things.
Pros
Culture, tuiton benefit, reasonable pay
Cons
Parking and traffic is a nightmare
Boring and useless place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2018
Worked in public safety worst department to work for no advancement low moral stupid magament no knowledge of security no authority we were just dummy sitting in a chair management was never on the security officer side horrible place to work
Why work here
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 6, 2018
If you are a contractor which I was. You are a mere step-child, you should prepare for that and it will no be easy. This was just not a good career move.
Pros
downtown
Cons
management as a contractor is not good at all
Can be a fun place to work at times
Business Manager II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2019
My typical work day is basically budgetary, running budget reports, ordering supplies, mainly keeping daily financial reports.
The workplace culture is very diverse
The most enjoyable part of my job is talking with students.
The hardest part of my job is Supervision.
Pros
2 week paid leave in December, laid back atmosphere
Cons
Managing the budget when it comes to requests of professional level administration
Low Pay
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2018
Pay is not competitive with other universities.
Minimal pay but they require high credentials.
I would work there to gain work experience but not as a long term career.
Fast-paced, yet team-oriented place to work! If you love to cook, Georgia State University Pantherdining is the company for you!
Dining Hall Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30303March 5, 2018
I arrive at 5:30 am to unlock all doors and to turn on kitchen equipment. I speak to each and every employee in the dining hall to get a feel of everyone's emotions. I make sure that my cashier has the money in the register and that it is an accurate amount. I make sure my cashier has everything stocked, prepared, and ready to open. I make sure that the food is at proper temperature and labeled correctly. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of management firmness. There was no accountability when rules and procedures were not being adhered to. That was very frustrating as a supervisor, and not the general manager. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the satisfaction of the students and outside customers when the food is absolutely wonderful to go along with pristine customer service. I also enjoyed seeing my employees smile when their dish comes out just perfect, or when my employees really enjoying their passion, cooking.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Short-staffed, poor management
Great Place to work
TRiO - Student Support Services (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody CampusOctober 3, 2018
I am new to Georgia State University and since I have been working here they have been really good to me. They offer a lot of benefits, perks, and professional development that help you to succeed.
nice environment
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody GAAugust 13, 2018
good place to work and start a great career
Great team players
Good environment
Management style fairly good
Hardest part of the job, not have good defensive weaapons
Review of Working At Georgia State
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2018
My jobs at Georgia State were entry level and due to the fact that I was still in school they were very flexible with my schedule. Most of the people who work their are friendly and probably has one of the more diverse work forces in the state.
Pros
Free Food/Free Events/Free Merchandise
Working with Seniors in a High School
College Adviser (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2018
A typical day at work starts with me meeting with which ever students I have identified needed a follow up meeting. Then I move on to open office hours were any students can come and meet with me while we talk about where they are in the college application process. Some days we have professionals from various careers come in a talk to the students, while we also have college recruiters come in and speak to the students as well.

Working this job I have developed a lot of professional skills and communications skills. The counseling staff that we work with is highly experience and expect a lot from the College Advisers. Also explaining the college application process to students and parents has allowed me to gain a better grasp with public speaking.

Management changed a few times so it was never the best.

Working in a High School establishing the College Going Culture
Okay job; strong university reputation
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Compensation is mediocre at best; university has strong reputation for research and diversity - makes it an exciting place to be; typical lack of work/life balance that is characteristic of all of academia
A wonderful place to work!
Part-Time Instructor, Business Communication (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2018
The workplace culture was nurturing and committed. I enjoyed teaching and interacting with colleagues. The hardest part: working long hours outside the classroom vis-à-vis teacher management platforms and emails. The enjoyable part: seeing the light of knowledge in students' eyes.

In general, management was helpful and always available. What I learned: Our millennials are truly committed to success.
Pros
Independence in the classroom, interaction with colleagues
Super diverse
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 1, 2018
I am thankful for Georgia State University. In my five years of employment, I have grown tremendously. GSU is very diverse in the faculty, staff and student body. Thankfully, I was granted a promotion in my time there.
Pros
diversity, community base environment, downtown Atlanta
Cons
traffic, doesn't pay as much as other universities
Great company culture
Portfolium Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2019
I worked for GSU as a student ambassador for less than a year. It was a great experience for improvement. I loved the company culture. They always have fun events.
I love GSU, but good managers are often missing...
Administrative Specialist - Administrative, Senior (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2018
I've worked here for many years in various capacities. GSU has a strong culture----sometimes great, sometimes not so. While I'm paid fairly for my current title, there's VERY little serious effort on management's side to groom you for a higher position. More often than not you have to do all the legwork yourself (a.k.a. move to another unit or USG institution, then return).
Pros
Free tuition after 6 months and great state benefits.
Cons
Lack of grooming, major faculty-staff divide, and not many good managers.
Shocking that any academic advisors still work there
Former Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2018
I am so glad to have left that place. The academic advising center is the place where your enthusiasm for student success goes to die. The workload is ridiculous and the most important part of the job was keeping logs to ensure numbers and goals were being met. It was no longer about customer service, it became more of an unbearable data entry job where you had managers breathing down your neck all day everyday. There are some great people who work in the center (I am hoping many of them got out already), and I feel like I watched them spiral into an abyss of misery from when they started working there. You know all those quotes and memes and theories about being a leader and not a manager, or treating employees well and they will give 100% and invest in your company? I think GSU missed the memo. There are a couple of good managers there, I hope they find better jobs soon too because they just get abused from the top, it is disgusting. The morale, seriously, could not possibly be any lower than it is. The worst part is the academic advisor II's at Georgia Tech make almost as much, if not more than the assistant directors at GSU. The salary is an abomination for all the pressure put on advisors and I wish that all the advisors would just get up and walk out one day. There are a couple there that deserve the torture, but the rest are good people that deserve better.
Pros
You can use TAP to earn additional degrees. You get a lot of free pens. It's in Atlanta.
Cons
Bad management, low salaries, horrible morale, It is in Atlanta and to live off of the low salary you have to commute from the suburbs.