Georgia State University Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Great place to work!
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 18, 2018
With the Georgia State University located in the downtown area of a large city, it created a unique environment to work in. There were many different variables that needed to be taken into consideration with how work was performed or in troubleshooting various issues than a typical job may entail due to each campus location being spread out in the city and in buildings that may be occupied by other organizations than just Georgia State University. Because of this, I was able to learn a great deal more about technology infrastructure and how best to implement and support it in such a large scale. Needless to say, I was always busy and always had the opportunity to learn something new which made this a great place to work!
Pros
Ability to attend school with all tuition paid for
Cons
Commute to and from work, Having to walk from one side of the city to the other for meeting regardless of weather
Great job
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 17, 2018
I love this job, I just wish they would hire more full-time professors. I definitely enjoy working with the students and administration though. It is a fun and challenging environment.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Adjunct only - no benefits
Gsu
Professor of English (Current Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 17, 2018
GSU is a fine place to work. The students are enjoyable, and there is plenty of freedom to pursue other professional interests such as creative writing and attending conferences.
Low pay, low morale, bad leadership
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2018
Avoid working in the Academic Advising Center. They want people with Masters degrees and pay salaries that require you to either be married or live with your parents or a roommate to survive. Leadership is poor..there is little transparency, bad communication and just an overall lousy environment to work in. They cannot keep people...the center is a revolving door where they constantly lose people and hire new ones. If they hire good people, they leave within a year because they will not tolerate such a hostile environment to work in. GSU invests so much time and money into training and cannot keep anyone because of the environment as well as the poor salaries. Most people I know have second jobs just to be able to pay their bills. At least if salaries are poor there should be some benefit of working there, such as a positive work culture or some other benefits. For example, GSU has received a ton of grant money and one time had a ton of extra food leftover from an event (potato chips, water etc...) and advisors asked if they could have some, and they were told absolutely not. The food sat there and then eventually got shifted somewhere out of sight. Can't even get a bag of chips. There is absolutely ZZERO care or compassion for the employees, starting from the very top. The attitude of "if you don't like it, go somewhere else" trickles down from the VP to the directors. And that is what happens..people constantly leave and honestly it is the students and university that suffers, but they do not care. The managers do nothing to enhance the work environment because they have  more... to preserve their own jobs and the powers-that-be will not allow them to create a humanistic work environment. One advisor got really sick at work and was going to the emergency room, her supervisor caught her at the elevator and asked if she had completed her phone calls for the day. That is the environment of the advising center. And the head of Enrollment Management and Student Success has a background in ethics, laughable.  less
Pros
Good training to take with you somewhere else
Cons
Bad working culture and environment, horrible pay.
Great place to work.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
A typical large university with all of the diversity a good university should have. Delightful Place to work and good staff. Would recommend anybody who is qualified to work there.
Pros
Good downtown dynamic campus
Cons
Could pay more
Okay job; strong university reputation
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 10, 2018
Compensation is mediocre at best; university has strong reputation for research and diversity - makes it an exciting place to be; typical lack of work/life balance that is characteristic of all of academia
Clinical Nurse Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 6, 2018
Enjoyed the excitement that i gave the students. What really brought me joy was when they were able to connect the dots and see the bigger picture. Typical day was long hours. Working with approximately 7 students. Most of them it was their first time being in a hospital setting. Seeing them nervous from day one and confident on the last day was rewarding.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Great for customer service, students, pay not best, good benefits
Student Financial Management Center Counselor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 6, 2018
Great place to get started in the education sector. Not much room to advance within some depts, but you can move around throughout the University if you have experience. Pay wasn't great, but did offer good benefits and discounts (hotels, rentals, cellular, fitbit).
Pros
Benefits and discounts
Cons
Pay
Easy and with good people
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2018
Professors are nice and will find easy work for all TAs working for them. Gets stressful at times but they will divide the work so that it is not too overwhelming
High level of accountability but fun
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Georgia State Recreational CenterJune 18, 2018
As a supervisor, You are in depended on throughout the workplace. Its hard dealing with different situations at the workplace, however its certainly a great experience to take in the professional field. Emergency situations occur frequently and as supervisor, punctuality is taken extremely serious. It is a great way to develop high level relationships.
Graduate Assistantship
Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 7, 2018
I was a supplemental instructor leader where my work was to assist the sophomores in their coursework. I thoroughly enjoyed my work there. It was very satisfying to see that your assistance can help students do well in the course.
Okay for a state job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 7, 2018
Not fulfiling on its own, pays the bills. Advancement or at least job title changes and pay increases are possible. Retirement package is decent, again nothing to write home about.
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
salary and extremely corporate environment
It's Ok
Enrollment Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 3, 2018
My office is pretty laid back but the commute is terrible. The pay isn't enough for what you do, nor enough to live on. You have to pay for parking and of course insurance increases every year so you end up taking home less pay every year than the first year you started. The pay is uneven because of the merger so some who were at one university make more than others for doing the same job. A lot of people don't really work but still get paid, there are no consequences to poor behavior. Some managers play favorites.
Pros
It's full time
Cons
Low pay, you have to pay for parking
Good environment to work in.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2018
Overall, a very positive experience and would recommend to anyone wanting to work here. Easy to access via freeway and otherwise and stimulating environment.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, good comraderie
Cons
Upward mobility; lack of structure
fun place
Graduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2018
I only worked as a research assistant to cover tuition cost. Professors are very friendly. Great opportunity to meet other professionals . It is an interesting workplace.
Great Choice
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2018
Good opportunity to set foot in door. Allowed me to get an internship/co-op. Learned about active directory, understanding computers as a whole and troubleshooted issues.
working at GSU provided me with good experience
Language lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAMay 20, 2018
During my first position at Georgia state university at the library, I had a great boss she taught me some of the library skills such as shelving, cataloging, and many other good skills. The next position was somewhat different I was the working at the learning and tutoring center, which gave me the opportunity to build my communication skills. In my last job, I had the experience to be in charge of the university's language lab, this passion added leadership, and teaching to my skills list.
very productive
Georgia state college (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2018
answering phone, faxing using the computer, there was 10 purchasing employees .I learned to be multi-tasked. There was plenty of workplace culture.The hardest thing was getting there on the train.The most enjoyable part where the people I worked with.
Ta
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2018
I was a TA. I don't have much to say. They waived tuition, so that was nice. Pay wasn't great, but I didn't have too much to do either. Decent place to TA?
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2018
Georgia State is a university so there is always a chance for work-life balance and socialization.No man is an island at this university because it is such a collaborative environment.