Georgia Tech Employee Reviews

Fun and Fulfilling Projects with Great Benefits but Promotion Difficulties
Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 5, 2018
GTRI overall is a great place to work. The projects are interesting and you have the freedom to work on different things. Because of this and that you're always working on new projects, it's hard to get bored. The benefits are also amazing - there are tons of insurance options and the vacation/holiday/sick time off is great. The worst part about GTRI is the below average pay and how difficult it is to get a raise and/or promotion. Small (1-3%) annual raises happen about every other year. The only other ways to get a raise is to 1) apply for a promotion which is a very painful and lengthy process that has time restrictions, only gives 6%, and partly has nothing to do with your day-to-day work or 2) become a manager and do less of the fun, technical work. One other comment about GTRI is the freedom given is a blessing and a curse. The freedom is nice because you're not being micromanaged but the downside is you're often left to figure things out on your own which could lead to learning bad practice (i.e. a mentor figure may be lacking).
Pros
Interesting work, variety of projects, flexible work hours, fantastic benefits, work-life balance, relaxed work environment
Cons
Less than average pay, difficult to get raise/promotion, mentor figure can be lacking
Only Certain Departments
System Support Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2018
Typically the work is not bad, but certain departments have a management problem. They are not good advocates for their employees and do not work to help them advance their careers.
Wonderful place to work.
Word Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 30, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working here but I later moved and had to resign. It is a great place to work. Most employees were very friendly and helpful. Everyone was friendly and congenial. We often had office meetings with luncheons and prizes.
Pros
Free luncheons and bonuses.
Cons
Shallow knowledge and low job security
Research Scientist I (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2018
There are various pros and cons of GTRI, and it's been a pleasant place to work overall. Having to do business development in order to keep your position as a software engineer is a pretty large con, as is the lack of management structure. Flexible hours and remote working options are a big plus. Overall it's a mixed bag. Work is mostly spread across multiple, varied projects, so experience gained is wide and shallow, rather than concentrated.
Georgia Tech is a great employer overall, but individual departments vary.
Scholarships Advisor & Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2018
Overall, Tech is a good place to work, but individual experiences will vary based on what department you work for. In my department, I'm expected to be in my office from 8am-5pm Monday through Friday and depending on the time of year/semester, I'm expected to work some nights and weekends giving presentations or working events.

In my experience/in my department, training is minimal and figuring out the campus culture can be challenging because of the size of campus. My campus colleagues are genuine and will collaborate and provide resources when they see a need. They are wonderful people who are eager to collaborate. However, it can be challenging to find the best ways and places to connect with campus colleagues as there are so many departments and each department can be a silo.
Pros
Great campus, professional development opportunities, students and colleagues alike are lovely
It is a great place for a career.
Senior Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2018
I have nothing bad to say about my employer. This is a great place to work and network. You meet a lot of people who have not left, but they are excited to see new people.
Pros
Pay, time accruals, benefits
Cons
Career advancement can be difficult.
Very Bureaucratic
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 11, 2018
I was hired as a manager but I am unable to make any decisions or to even do my job. I am treated like a secretary. The director I work for is moody and treats employees like they are her personal mindless minions. This is known through out the program but they just keep turning a blind eye to it. After one year I am looking for another job. I would think twice before working here.
Pros
Good bennifits
Cons
You are treated as though you are insignificant.
Good
Administrative Professional 1 - Faculty Affairs (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2018
Everything is progressing well and things seem well. The community around the job is very kind and helpful with growth. There are a few different software that should be connected that aren't and it can make things a little complicated.
Fun place to work...
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 25, 2018
I worked at Georgia Institute of Technology through ICE @ Georgia Tech. ICE is a program at Georgia Tech's College of Computing which promotes computer programming and computer engineering to teens and adolescents. Working for ICE as a Student Worker was very fun and educating.
Pros
Fun, Collaborative, & Educating
Skip Support Roles at GTRI
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2018
At GTRI the labs doing the work are rockstars. The supporting staff... the folks that keep the lights on, servers up, and more mundane work running are left behind.
Pros
2 Work from home days a week
Cons
Poor Culture, Lack Luster Management

Want to know more about Georgia Tech?

Ask a question
Manager
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 21, 2018
Great organization. Disjointed core competency alignment and middle management has difficulty communicating vision and direction. High leadership turnover. Great work/life balance
Pros
Worklife balance, professional development, great hours
Cons
high leadership turnover, office politics
Great work culture
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2018
A great place to work. Flexibility in terms of work. Good relationships and connections in academia.Intensive research and great resources and support
Nice
Caterer/Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2018
Great place to work at love the place and the people’s that comes to visit or go to school there very helpful and supportive love the football teams love being there working at a game some night seeing famous people the job just fun helpful fast paced great pay respectful teamwork and gets the job done !
Highly competitive environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2018
Autonomy is allowed but high competence is expected.
Orientation and training are good at university level.
Quality of department managers varies considerably
Environment is filled with ambitious and brilliant scientists and engineers.
Pros
Work on really impactful project
Cons
My field was scarce on campus with no advancement opportunities
A True Top Tier Engineering School
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2018
As a graduate student in materials and mechanical engineering, you are expected to dedicate your entire live to Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech is the most practically applied engineering school I have ever experienced and the depth of projects and engineering challenges is no matched by any other school.
Pros
Excellent Engineering Education
Cons
No Life Outside Graduate School
Good to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 2, 2018
I am a PhD student in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology. At the same time i have been a graduate research assistant and a graduate teaching assistant here.
Stressful and outdated
Student Account Specialist, Sr (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2018
The most difficult part of working at Tech is the lack of adequate job training. While HR has plenty of training classes, direct job knowledge and training in some departments can be hard to come by. There is a lot of expert knowledge at Tech that coworkers refuse to share.
Pros
Flexible start times
Cons
Stress, Lack of innovation in staff departments
Quinterrell Anderson
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2018
Was very stressful got tired of working there for 9 years didn't see me further my career at GA Tech Hotel it was great the first 3 years I were there then it stared going down hills
A great place to work and play
Academic Advisor II/GT (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2018
Georgia Tech is a wonderful community to join. We have great and knowledgeable staff. The environment is a innovative and challenging one, but it fosters growth. There are also discounted opportunities for play on campus. Tech Rec offers discounted game play (bowling, pool, and etc.). I love this place!
Work.
Postbaccalaureate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2018
Work is on and off. There are weeks where you will be working full days plus over time, and days where the clock ticks by very slowly. HR is a joke, and can never really answer any questions directed at them, because its always someone else fault.