Georgian Court University Employee Reviews

My co-workers were my family
Staff Assistant - Counseling (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJApril 6, 2018
Coming to GCU after working in NYC was not easy. Things were quite different. One thing that was better, however, was the kind, caring nature of my coworkers. I am blessed to call them family.
Good supervisor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJApril 3, 2018
Indeed is making me write a review in order to move forward in this process. Did not work there long enough to give a fair review. Pay was fair, supervisor was fair, work hours were fair. There just weren't enough classes to teach in the summer as the few classes went to the veteran teachers.
Pros
pay
Cons
unknown
A great place to get a job while you're attending as a student
Student Admissions Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJFebruary 20, 2018
Georgian Court University provides job opportunities to their students part time and full time. They work extremely well with the students and their school demanding calendars.
Productive fun relaxes workplace
Desk Assistant- Work Study (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJDecember 24, 2017
I worked for two separate departments at Georgian Court simultaneously. A typical day at work entailed showing up on time and sitting at a desk and watching the door to see if there were any guests in the dorm hall for my DA position. For my phonathon position we came into work and started up our program and began calling constituents to try and meat our daily gift goal. Management at both jobs was amazing. They are more relaxed because they realize that we are students first, so they made working two jobs and going to college a little easier. The DA position was in no way difficult, the only downside was that unless people decided to visit, it was an isolated job. Phonathon on the other hand was better because there was never a dull moment, and everyone was nice to one another all of the time.
Pros
free gcu gear
Cons
limit on hours per week/per semester
Education
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJSeptember 11, 2017
It is a small, catholic school located in South Jersey. Great programs for business majors, nursing majors, and education majors. Athletics are decent.
It was fun to tutor students.
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJJuly 18, 2017
It was fun to teach other students. I developed a few friendships from the experience. The pay was nice, and my fellow employees were helpful and understanding.
Pros
The campus was beautiful.
Cons
Clients not showing up on time.
Productive and fair place to work
Secretary to the Office of the Provost (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJMarch 30, 2017
place makes for a wonderful place to work. Staff and administration work very closely and very well together. Typical day includes email, multi-tasking, scheduling, etc.. Management is very accommodating when possible.
Pros
free lunch during each semester-total of 45
Peer tutor
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJMarch 29, 2017
Tutored Spanish and business courses to students at Georgian court university. Helped organizing the office when it was required. Filled a log for every student tutored
Pros
flexible lunch and dinner
Cons
no health plans
wonderful
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJMarch 9, 2017
everyday at work there was something different. many people, very nice and welcoming, makes a person feel at home. I learned friendships, responsibility and respect. the management team was amazing and just great. their was nothing hard about the job and I enjoyed everything about it.
Pros
the hours
Cons
the money
Great work place
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJMarch 2, 2017
Amazing environment, great atmosphere, and awesome people! So friendly and welcoming, an overall cool place to work.
Enjoyable workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJNovember 21, 2016
Doing research was an enjoyable and educational experience with the professors there. Several students had the opportunity to do research with each professor and the additional material you learn, and the experience one gains, is vital to the development of knowledge.
Fun working atmosphere
Deans Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJOctober 2, 2016
This was my work study job when I was in college in the student Life Department. I was like a deans assistant I answered phones, filed papers, hang flyers, go to meeting, fixed online website made copies, faxed papers more like clerical work.
Fun campus to work on
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJMay 18, 2016
Very vibrant staff and environment. Always supplied materials for programs and meetings. Coordinators and Supervisors are positive fun people, as well as the staff.
Pros
friendships builded, great resume and personal builder
A very nice school in need of a change in direction
Director (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJApril 1, 2016
You'd be hard-pressed to find an environment more friendly and kind-hearted than GCU. From the offer of employment, through new employee orientation, everything was handled great. The university was going through a massive change in leadership at the time I was hired and I fault many of the complications on that. They were also going co-educational, which created many obstacles.

The university definitely needs a change in enrollment management if it is going to survive in the long-term.

However, as a place to work, it is a lovely school with dedicated people and a truly delightful student body. While many of the students have remedial needs, they are open to learning and getting the help. With some structural changes, they could thrive. I just worry that their "declining location" will make it difficult to attract students.

It's a shame--such a nice place!!!
Pros
Free lunch, Great colleagues, Stunning campus, Polite students, Nuns
Cons
Poor operating cash flow, deteriorating town around gorgeous campus, supervisors not trained to be leaders even if well meaning.
Extremley professional setting, fun to work with the staffs, learn a lot about myself and the job
Student Life Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJMarch 4, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students happy' typical day in the office is filling paper work, answer phone calls and typing documents.
it was great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJJanuary 16, 2016
Georgian Court University’s graduates—personally and collectively—contribute positive change in your world.

Join the GCU community of scholarship, empowerment and friendships, built on the contributions of more than 1,600 undergraduates and 700 graduate students. You will experience a life-affirming education in the Catholic Mercy tradition, which holds fast to the foundational values of justice, integrity, respect, compassion, and service.

At GCU, you don’t just talk about these values—you put them to work in the classroom, in the community, and later, in your career. From social justice and science to health care and education, the Catholic Mercy tradition connects your passion to your chosen profession, and compels you to serve those in need.
Productive and fun environment
Internship (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJJuly 26, 2015
Work with the Assistant Director of Athletics to make sure game day programs were made and set up for games. Learned more about sports and statistics. Great co-workers and always lend a hand when in need.
Pros
Playing sports at lunch time
Productive and fun
Educational Opportunity Fund- Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJApril 4, 2015
I absolutely love my co-workers and the student that I work with. A typical day here consist of me doing some computer work. Such as enter data and renewing information on files. I learn something new here every day. So far I have enhance my skills with using Microsoft. The hardest part of the job is remembering everyone information. There is over five hundred student information that I have to keep up with on a daily bases. I love having the opportunity to talk to the students about their education and encourage them to stay focused.
Pros
I meet new people everyday
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, NJApril 2, 2015
Fast pace and easy to learn. Very nice co workers and great hours. Got to meet plenty of new people. An influensive place to be.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
A day at the office!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJJanuary 14, 2015
As a keyholder, I would open the office generally 20 minutes early to turn on the machines, computers, etc. I have always liked getting to my jobs earlier than everyone else. I prioritized my daily schedule, greeted employees as they would come in to the office for the day. I loved my co-workers. Most of them were college students, and I was their work-study supervisor. I prepared their timesheets, kept track of their hours. We were the college tutoring center, and the work study students were peer tutors. I think they looked up to me and respected me. I learned alot from them, as I do believe they learned alot from me as well. My supervisor was not always pleasant to be around. Many times, the hardest part of my job was dealing with her. She had a not so great reputation and unfortunately I was on the receiving end of the nasty stick! I loved my job. I loved the work, loved the people,all except one and felt very comfortable in the environment. I had been at GCU from 2002-2005 then again from 2007-2011 and it had become like a home to me. I was very sad to have to leave in 2011, after there were campus-wide layoffs. The departments were redesigned to combine secretaries, and as I was only part time, I was one of the first to go.
Pros
The nature of my work... my job itself