Gerber Collision & Glass Employee Reviews

Great place to work for
Painter (Current Employee) –  Apopka, FLSeptember 11, 2018
Love the place don’t care for the manager. A lot of great people and everyone is willing to help each other. I would totally recommend this place my only issue is the manager.
Pros
Close to home and great pay
Cons
Current manager is no good
Good workplace
Automotive Detailer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 30, 2018
Good place , good company just the management wasn’t all there . If co-workers has more communication with one another work would’ve been better......
Gerber is a great company to work for.
Vehicle Damage Estimator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAAugust 28, 2018
I received life changing training with Gerber. I wish there was a Gerber near me I'd go back in a heartbeat. They have good benefits. It feels like a team. They have a production meeting every morning to make sure everything is on track. I was lucky to have worked with some excellent technicians which makes a big difference in the culture of the shop.
Nice shop to wor for if you don’t mind favoritism
auto body technition (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 26, 2018
Manager doesn’t assign work bassed on your strengths to get best results and there are to many politics to be a favorite otherwise this could be a great plac to work
Pros
Nicely equipped shop and good benefits
Cons
Poor assignment of work
Terrible place to work unless your management then ok
Patient mentor, trainer (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILAugust 14, 2018
Meeting in the am to set the day but 45 min after meeting we need this ahead of that so stop on that to do this then a hour later no this is number one forget everything else so you do then they ask why is nothing done!! People who have never and could never are telling you how to maximize you time in the day but all they do is screw up everything. They have been making a effort to get the techs the base equipment they need like bumper stands parts carts etc but only when it is so needed it damages production.quality has almost no place here they will put people in a position they have never done with no training and say your turn even if they can cause harm to the customers car . All that said if you are very fast lower quality driven this place is great if you take pride in your work not so much.
Pros
Great for management
Cons
if you work on the car avoid it
Would not recommend
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Maineville, OHAugust 13, 2018
All positions are the same. NO GOOD would not recommend for any type employee. Management is the worst i have ever had no body knows what to do or how to help you everyone just wings it would be a good place to start a bodyshop they are very special bodymen and painters. They run the shop not management
Estimators are incompetent and lazy and nothing is there fault .no one follows the rules
Pros
Cons
No one cares
They deliver what they promise
Estimator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 12, 2018
Out of the companies that I work for this is the only one that actually meet their promise. They mentor the employee to ensure they learn from their mistakes.
Pros
Up front company you can trust that if they are offering you cometing, You will get it.
Cons
Commute time is horrible.
Good money, no support
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCAugust 12, 2018
I was able to get my foot in the door pending a move to the area. Training was haphazard at best. Waited at least 3 weeks for login and email. Never got any business cards (red flag?) after 60 days had to repeatedly ask about uniforms. Supplied my own camera,. Was never given any kind of review or feedback in 6 months unless I specifically asked were I needed to improve. Manager was a good office manager, but didn't have a clue how to manage jobs in the shop. Scheduling was never consistent. Never really felt like I was part of the team, always felt like an outsider.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Chaos everywhere, No clear flow inconsistency between upper and middle management
Awful Place to work, stress levels are crazy high and the other employees are cut throat
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLJuly 17, 2018
Typically the day starts at 7am, then you're fed a line of garbage about how everyone is on the same page. Anyone who knows anything about cars, stay away. I was lured away from this company by one manager, given another after I started, nothing but jealousy ensued. Manager constantly keeps turmoil stirred up between all employees, and everyone else is scared to stand up to them even for whats right. Company is poorly run from the top down, stay away at all cost
Pros
Cons
stressful, poor management, cut throat
Fast Pace Shop
General Manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 17, 2018
Fun environment. Great Leaders. Everyday presents new and exciting challenges. Work with a lot of different insurance companies and deal with all different kinds of customers.
Pros
Free Car Washes and good discounts on repairs.
Cons
Vacation not enough.
Good company for moving up
Collision Estimator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 5, 2018
Gerber collision and glass is a good place to move up and learn new things and meet new people,the only thing i would be cautious of would be the false promises
was ok to work for
Detail Technician (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHMay 26, 2018
They are like a typical company, They will keep family and lay off non family. The most enjoyable part of my job was leaving at 6pm. I did learn some basic detailing stuff their, Washing a car and cleaning the interior out, shining the wheels and minor buffing.
Bait and switch. Management does not exist.
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORMay 17, 2018
These guys promised me the world, and I fell for it hook line and sinker. I should have known better. I didn't last a month before moving on to another shop. Management literally was non-existent. The suites who hired me never returned emails of my questions or concerns after hiring me.

Gerber came through and bought up a couple small time shops with good reputations. Promised to revamp the stores. They put up new signs, but that was about it. When I left 29 days into my "career" I still had fender/bumper jobs waiting for paint... I took almost a $5000 cut in pay to waste a month of my time with these idiots.

No matter how many times I asked they wouldn't/couldn't give me a pay plan that showed what I was supposed to be getting paid.
Pros
Cons
Management, filthy store front, treated customers poorly, encouraged lying
great place to work if you want to make money
Automotive Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2018
The job was great and so where the benefits the only issue I had was trying to move up in the company it felt next to impossible. everyone was very experienced and worked well with each other.
Worst corporate ran company
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHMay 15, 2018
Gerber recently changed to commission based only for their estimators. This change was done without anyone's consent. Upper management doesn't not care about their employees at all. All they care about is numbers and and their bonuses that we don't get anymore. Gerber cares more about the customers than their own employees. Plus their benefits packages are through the roof with cost. Again they claim it's the best they can do. 600 a pay for a family package! If you want to work as a number only and not a person then get a job here. Don't waste your time they work their employees way to much, you will get no life at home.
Pros
Cons
The whole company
Un organized and misleading
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NC 28303May 10, 2018
They offered me great money. A bit more then I expected. Then I found out why. They promised me a great shop in a great area with excellent reviews. Moved me in from Louisiana to Fayetteville NC and stuck me in a shop with the worst yelp reviews I have ever seen 1/2 a star. The shop was stuck behind a pizza hut with no frontal view to the street.they put me in a shop that went through 8 GM's in two years and lost DRP's with in months of getting them. I quickly found that repair checks were showing that techs would hide incomplete and sub-standard repairs. This was the first shop I've ever worked at that I would tell friends and family to stay away from. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Pros
Great money and benifets
Cons
Really poor oversight and commitment to quality. Genral Managers will not be backed up by the corp.
Wolf in sheeps clothing
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 7, 2018
My experience at Gerber is with mixed emotions. I joined this company as an Estimator due to having many years experience in collision repair. Less than two months in I was appointed as the new manager after the prior manager left . I wasant given any real training on how to perform as a Gerber manager other than the market manager spending a few days with me. A year into managing I had hired a completely new staff replacing everyone but the parts coordinator. Then upper management decided to do away with the repair planner position and cut one of the estimator positions. On several occasions I had to operate with no estimator at all. I was expected to turn more profit and money with less people!!!! It was insanity. I had my techs in one building and my CSR in another building and had to constantly walk back and forth between both buildings. Even with all the obstacles I loved the job. Then on the first day of the month after I worked all day on Saturday to close out the prior month and not having an estimator for a whole month the market manager walked in and stated they were letting me go!!! A shock to say the least. I was given a few short reasons for my dismissal but nothing that should have been a firable offense. If you want your heart broken then work for this company! The upper management knew I was short staffed and left me do my best with basically nothing to work with. I had high hopes for this job but never got the support I needed when I needed it. During this time I was working from 630 am to almost 930pm every night and then most Saturdays without even  more... getting a thank you for all the time I had to put in just to stay afloat. If upper managment values there managers they certainly don't show it and will simply fire you if the center is not getting the revenue they set without taking into account the quality and quantity of the workforce you have. This company will allow customers to threaten you with harm and will roll out the red carpet for anyone that complains no matter how obvious the complaint looks to be a set up . The upper management micro manages the centers and then gets mad and blames you when things go haywire. I was put out with no warning and was crushed as I really did enjoy working there. If you want to be promised the world just to be used until they find your replacement, if you want to make a decent salary to all of a sudden be faced with the probability of loosing your house because you can't pay the house payment any longer , if you want to work with great group of managers in your market just to watch them either get fired or move on before they get fired, or if you just enjoy giving everything you have to the company just to be used and abused then this is the company for you. If you want to see extremely unnecessary turn over or if you lime working with technitions that basically run the show because management bends over backwards to keep even the worst techs then this is your company. If you don't want to deal with any of these issues then you will stay away! This could be a great place to have a carreer if upper management would simply realize they don't give there managers enough support and training in doing things how they want it done. They simply continue to give unrealistic goals and budgets without taking into account what you are working with. Like I said, I felt crushed, betrayed, abused and used. Think long and hard before you take a management job with gerber because they go thru way too many managers and its evident something is wrong in upper management. Even when you discuss poor performers with area mangers you are told to deal with it for a little longer because they have no replacements but when things go bad you are blamed for others poor performance and not offered any solutions for tbe issue.  less
Pros
Not many at all
Cons
Upper managment, back stabbing at its best
not too much to say here
Collision Technician (Former Employee) –  georgiaApril 27, 2018
a typical work day was getting to work,and having a meeting for about 10 minutes. then out to fix cars. Waiting a week sometimes for parts to arrive, then hurry hurry hurry to get car out the door.I liked our manager, but he had quit and we didnt know it till his replacement walked in the door and announced "im the new manager". needless to say we were all suprised. that Friday, his last day at Gerber, my manager took me outside and told me i'm fired. Nice, huh?
Awful place to work for detailers
Detailer/Porter (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLApril 21, 2018
If you're looking to get your foot in to the automotive body industry dont come here. They treat thier employees awfully. Always pushing and rushing thier cars instead of actually doing good quality work. There isnt much room to learn and advance in the bodyshop. The detailer position is awful. They only hire 1 per location and some locations are really busy. They'll expect you to clean up all of the customers messes in the cars as well as the messes made from the Collison work that was done on the cars perfectly in 30 minutes or less. Quality or quantity but you cant ever have both working there even though they'll expect it. They'll force you to work past 10 hours a day or 50 hours a week to get thier cars out, even though half of them will sit in the lot for 3-4 days after you clean it and then they'll tell you to reclean it for the customer. Not to mention this position is also considered a porter in some locations so they will pull you away from detaling to clean up toilets and drop and pick up cars. Everything is about money and numbers at Gerber, if you got a low rating for cleaning a car because the costumer was mad about the service. Forget it the estimators and office people start to treat you differently because "they lost money" cause thier commission based. All that for low pay and to be treated poorly. Definitely not worth the trouble.
Pros
They had coffee and water
Cons
The whole work enviroment
Run
Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 16, 2018
I worked for a small chain of shops until owner sold to Gerber. They came in with promises and high hopes.
They did immediately install new compressors and repaired any equipment that needed service etc, so I’ll give them that. The health insurance was nothing short of a joke( they were self insured)
Tons of great solid employees left due to corporate BS. I myself lasted about a year and just couldn’t take the upper management any longer. Some people think it’s a good place to work, because they have blinders on. Lots of people have/do/will see thru the smoke and mirrors and kick themselves for working for this company
Pros
Updated equipment, plenty of work
Cons
Couldn’t get said work out on time if they tried

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gerber Collision & Glass. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6