Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews

Found 377 reviews matching the search See all 2,020 reviews
Productive workplace
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 13, 2019
A very big company with a lot of talented employees. Great place to work with a friendly environment. Good benefits with a wonderful 401k plan in addition.
Deliver loaded rebar to so california locations
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 9, 2019
Drive too construction sites and wait to be off loaded with a crane or a fork lift management was good. Picking cages and rings for cal trans work for bridges difficult to tie down on the flat bed trailers
Pros
Start early in the morning go home early
Cons
When it rains stay home
Difficult workplace possibly to be shut down in 2019.
Shredder Operations Manager - Facilitator III (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 4, 2019
Go out and stand and watch start-up for several hours. Investigate Downtime (which was 40% at start and I was able to drop it to 30%) thoroughly for root cause and corrective actions. I learned I have to be more in depth when hiring onto a new company. Management was not organized at all. Workplace culture was severely damaged by Management and the vast majority of the Union Employees were disgruntled and looking for work elsewhere. The hardest part of the job was having to create my own tracking system for daily metric capturing. Once I created it, it was an easy excel tracker that made my job easier by being able to talk about if we "won or lost" for the day.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Completely disorganized and very possible the site will be shut down.
Plenty of hours
Crane Operator/Rigger (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 15, 2019
A fast paced, super competitiive place to work. Always hiring because I believe the turn over rate is pretty high due to the difficulty of the pace. Plenty of hours for everyone.
Pros
Plenty of available hours
Cons
Sometime too many hours
Long work weeks
Lead Bender (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 15, 2019
Lots of work. Hard to balance work and family time. Supervisors are great but the plant manager is not a people person. You get 2 breaks at 15 minutes each with no lunch.
Stressful with little to no management
30 Ton Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJanuary 11, 2019
While working there I was a (temp. To hire). I was a crane operator who reached the 520 needed to be concidered for hire. But soon realized with the sale of my company I would not be hired anytime soon. Struggling to stay afloat on 15 an hour. It seemed easier to all the other gentlemen making the promised 18 apon hire. After all the lies and ill feelings towards the manager who was not competent enough to call the NEW human resource and get us on boarded. I separated my self from the company.
Very unorginized, poor communication.
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJanuary 4, 2019
Former employee at the Plainville CT location. Started my employment as a temp from a temp agency. Started off good then went down hill very quick in the short time I was there. Since being employed there were numerious changes that effected the work performance. No one from the temp agencies are aware of what goes on so they cant help. They dont tell you that this facilitaty gets to be 2° in the winder because of the steel or how you have to work manditory ten hours and are expected to stay later if the job is not done. There is a very high turn over rate and management is so poor that one co worker has to be taken off the floor to assist management because the manager cannot handle the work load and even vocalized this to such employee. Pay rate through temp agencies is not worth it once you seen how this place is ran. If you need a promising solid job thats not a gamble I would look elsewhere. Have no Idea how this place ia still in business.
Pros
Potential to learn a variety of tasks
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, not worth the temp pay
Enco was a much better place to work
Rebar Manager / Estimator (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARJanuary 3, 2019
I was in employee of Enco Materials, Inc. when we were bought out by Gerdau Ameristeel. Enco was the best place to work, and I would probably be there till this day had it not been for the buy out. The corporate structure and worship of the almighty dollar that Gerdau espoused ruined our market share as well as our reputation and resulted in our division being completely shut down within two years of their purchase.
Cons
Productive place and really cared about their employees health and family life.
Logistics Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Calvert City, KYDecember 26, 2018
A lot of plants had the same polices but the Gerdau facility in Ky was based on favoritisim and who you hung out with in management. If you were not liked, opportunities were not there for you.
Pros
Good company for advancement
Cons
If you didn't hangout with certain individuals you would not get promoted.
Working with rebar
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 22, 2018
heavy machinery work, very dangerous, safety is priority. load and unload 60-65 foot re-bar bundles into stock. transport to shipping trailer, shear or bend machine.
Pros
oppurtunity to become certified for future employers.
Cons
requires teamwork
It was ok
Rebar Detailer (CAD Design) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 12, 2018
The employment at Gerdau Ameristeel was not incredibly great but not incredibly bad. The drawings were for constructing buildings. I would interpret structural drawings and develop placement drawings for rebar.
Would be a good place to work.
Millwright Mechanic on overhead cranes (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXDecember 12, 2018
I enjoyed working with my crew and we got a lot of overtime hours. But because of rotating management nothing stay consistent and causes problems. Up front they appear to have a good safety program until something breaks and is holding up production, then it's a duct tape fix.
Poor management, cut throat atmosphere
Division Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 8, 2018
I loved working at Gerdau. Management at the time was only looking out for himself and a couple of his buddies.. Great training when new procedures were implemented.
Pros
Great benefits, pay and most employees were like family
Cons
Poor upper management
fine
helper/ 2nd operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 3, 2018
it's an ok place to work. job isn't overly stressful but can require working in fairly severe conditions. lots of heights if you aren't really a fan of them
productive and structured work place
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 30, 2018
it was a great job opportunity out of high school. Everyone was nice and helped me out when needed. The bosses treated me fairly and was never rude. overall a great work experience.
great place to work
Contract Temp (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 9, 2018
I was a temp contract assignmenr
They showed me the assignment and I did my job
very nice place to work Management was awesome I enjoyed every bit of the assignment
Pros
Excellant place to work
Cons
non
hot enviroment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MINovember 8, 2018
fast paced work place. lovely staff. its really hot but for the pay its an all around great job. i would recommend it to people looking for a great opportunity
Gerdau
Detailer Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 2, 2018
Gerdau provided the opportunity to advance my knowledge of Computer Aided Drafting and Design by learning the ins and outs of steel rebar, and how rebar plays a major function in construction.
Really Hard job physically, and very dangerous and detrimental to your health.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXNovember 2, 2018
Working here is best described as a sweltering hot summer job working with 2400 degree redHot steel 2 feet from your face going through a mill line with enough force knock down a house @ 26 mph!! For the danger alone, the men are SEVERELY UNDERPAID!
what a poo party
Steel Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 29, 2018
the only thing worse than the company is the union you pay dues to for zero representation. they do pay good though but the rotating shift will run you down