Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews

Found 314 reviews matching the search See all 1,868 reviews
Good working environment
Division Services Clerk - Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 10, 2018
Could be very stressful. Some of the people had a tendency to be dishonest about who did what and how. Otherwise, a good place to be employed. Benefits very generous.
Company with a lost direction
Process Improvement Engineer (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 3, 2018
It has been a while since I worked there but when I did it was a place that was trying to compete with the big boys in the industry and they were having a tough time keeping a focus on how they wanted to move their business forward. At the time they needed more focus on their employees and this is why I ultimately left.
Good pay if you don't mind working!!!
Loader/Checker (Former Employee) –  LogisticsJuly 20, 2018
Good place to work. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Good pay and good benefits. 12 hour rotating shifts. Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Family
Finishing (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXJuly 16, 2018
Amazing people to work with, grow a family bond in the melt shop. I would love to work for Gerdau again but it would definitely have to be at a higher wage for the type of dangerous work we do.
Pros
family bond atmosphere, management
Cons
low pay, no compensation, up and down economics
quality nuclear
Quality Assurance Analyst (QA Analyst) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 1, 2018
preformed inspection per drawings
printed all tags
scheduled truck loads

I loved to preform my job at the max I could
I learned how to manage over 37 people
Pros
learning
Cons
nuclear ended
Gerdau is a company that says one thing in does not follow threw
Quality Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 31, 2018
Gerdau is a terrible company to work for 12 years off in on no respect for employee management no experience Gerdau has also sold company so pretty sure job security is a problem
competitive
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Sayreville, NJ 08872May 23, 2018
in the steel mill is a very challenging job alot of security measures working with hot steel big machine operators long hours and overtime .Mostly under hot temperature
Pros
challenging
Cons
safety
Overall this is a great company to work for.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 22, 2018
If I could increase my hourly pay to 20.00 per hour, I wouldn't consider a second job or another job paying that hourly rate. The benefits are great as well as the work hours, even when I get overtime.
Pros
Job ending time
Cons
30 minutes lunch break
Great
Engineering and Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 15, 2018
Great place to work they have a great employee moral. This company works to permute those who work hard. I really enjoyed working for this company overall.
Productive place to work
Mobile Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 29, 2018
I enjoyed working at Gerdau. The work on big equipment was very challenging and a great learning experience. The crews were very helpful in guiding you to repair things you didn't know. There was not a lack of jobs to be spread throughout the team.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 22, 2018
I enjoyed my time here at Gerdau. However , my reason for leaving was I could not advance my career there which in turn would not allow me to advance financially. It’s a demanding field but I enjoyed the pressure and workload. In turn there was unlimited overtime which is never bad. Work environment is pretty relaxed and allows you to get what you need to do done
Pros
Available overtime, several luncheons, great benefits
Cons
Primary reason for leaving was no career advancement
working enviroment
Field Support Tech II (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLApril 13, 2018
I really enjoyed the work and in the beginning the company took very good care of its employees. As the company started to fail, employees where the first and major cuts and they took any and all benefits away that they could.
Then when I needed to be transferred closer to family they denied that.
production, fast paced work
Machine Operator, Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TNApril 11, 2018
good place to work for beginner welders. Got the job right after getting out of Tennessee Tech. Supervisors were easy to get along with, good atmosphere on the job.
26 1/2 years lost job in workforce reduction corporate wide
Internal Consultant, Improvement Facilitator II (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMarch 29, 2018
Worked up to 70 hrs per week, Last 15 years in management doing Lean Implementation. Company paid salary and an incentive program. Incentive averaged out at $10 per hour.
Environment is Hot and Humid on the floor which was the hardest part of the job plus using oversized wrenches to tighten oversized nuts. Most enjoyable part was teaching employees 5s, QIS, Failure Analysis and TQM.
Pros
Money and Benefits Package
Cons
Heat, MAnagement
Cool
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TNMarch 29, 2018
Just not for me lack of pay raises................
Hard to get hired in
Harsh environment
Overall it’s ok the weather is ok as well
Basically getting hired in and the pay rate sucks
It’s pays the bills to give your life to a company that just points fingers at its works instead of looks at the company management
finishing Floorman (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MIMarch 28, 2018
to sell your life to a company that doesn’t care at end of the day, every pick an choose what and who they Discipline, wasn’t worth it to me. Ok money but not worth the headache
Pros
Non
Cons
A whole lot
Great work environment with great people
Asset Reliability Planner (ARP) (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 21, 2018
Management is supportive of you bettering yourself and gives you every opportunity to make yourself better. As one of the two planners, I was included in the decision making processes and felt like I was part of the team and not just support staff.
Not a lot of upward movement available
Detailer (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 13, 2018
We are being bought out by CMC steel. Things could be getting better. There a good company. In the area I am in moving up or a pay bump isn't likely. Not that other areas are like mine.
Manage is really bad and unprofessional
Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 8, 2018
This company has been continuously running in the wrong direction all due to poor management, there's no motivating the employees and there is absolutely no support the communication is non-existent and in order to get what you need to do your job you pretty had to kiss management *** and ,,,yeah the facility is poorly maintained.
Benefits
Cons
Management and did I say management
Fun Place to Work But Poor Compensation
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 7, 2018
Gerdau is a fun place to work. The steel making process is by far the most fascinating in my career. Gerdau has great business systems. The Beaumont unfortunately had sub par management. They struggled with people alignment and many engineers have quit over the years and the mill was eventually sold.
Pros
Interesting Process
Cons
Poor Management Decisions