Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews

Found 330 reviews matching the search See all 1,895 reviews
Tough Environment
Steel Worker (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 3, 2018
Working at Gerdau was a great experience for me. The pay is great, for all employees. There is very little opportunity for advancement in management. It is a tough environment, hard labor and dangerous job at times. Old school process makes job very physical and challenging at times. The hardest part of the job is the rotating weekly schedule, very difficult to adjust ones daily life.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Dirty hard work, poor management, bad communication
Stressfull
auto bender (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 24, 2018
They go by an average, if you do anything there. you will have you good days where you make good weight and days when you make bad weight, because not every job is the same and they know that they just don't care you have to make the average weight every day or you get called into the office and then eventually fired

you gotta work there to learn what i mean if you don't know what i mean
Ok.
Furnace Stocker (Former Employee) –  Wilton, IAAugust 19, 2018
I worked at the furnace so its a very hot and dirty job. But if you're willing to put in the work you will get paid good and lose weight at the same time.
Excellent Company
Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJAugust 14, 2018
Gerdau is an excellent company to work for. They are very professional and very nice to their employees. I have met alot of professional people at Gerdau and I would recommend this company to others. Their level of expertise out exceeds any other company I have worked for.
Good working environment
Division Services Clerk - Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 10, 2018
Could be very stressful. Some of the people had a tendency to be dishonest about who did what and how. Otherwise, a good place to be employed. Benefits very generous.
Company with a lost direction
Process Improvement Engineer (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 3, 2018
It has been a while since I worked there but when I did it was a place that was trying to compete with the big boys in the industry and they were having a tough time keeping a focus on how they wanted to move their business forward. At the time they needed more focus on their employees and this is why I ultimately left.
Finishing Floorman (Current Employee) –  Monroe, MIJuly 26, 2018
The swing shift work schedule is the only undesirable factor here. otherwise it is a great place to work and learn I have developed a better work ethic and understanding of life being employed here.
Good pay if you don't mind working!!!
Loader/Checker (Former Employee) –  LogisticsJuly 20, 2018
Good place to work. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Good pay and good benefits. 12 hour rotating shifts. Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Family
Finishing (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXJuly 16, 2018
Amazing people to work with, grow a family bond in the melt shop. I would love to work for Gerdau again but it would definitely have to be at a higher wage for the type of dangerous work we do.
Pros
family bond atmosphere, management
Cons
low pay, no compensation, up and down economics
quality nuclear
Quality Assurance Analyst (QA Analyst) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 1, 2018
preformed inspection per drawings
printed all tags
scheduled truck loads

I loved to preform my job at the max I could
I learned how to manage over 37 people
Pros
learning
Cons
nuclear ended
Overall Bad place to work
Refractory man/ Refractory Leadman (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 8, 2018
Job is very unsafe. No room for advancement . Schedule is horrible . 12 hour rotating shift every week. Environment is very stressful and hazardous. No bonus structure and benefit package is more and more until affordable. No certified training for employees on the job and very little reaction if manager employees . CEO had to be firesd for fraud . Overall not a very good company to work for .
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Unsafe work environment
Gerdau is a company that says one thing in does not follow threw
Quality Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 31, 2018
Gerdau is a terrible company to work for 12 years off in on no respect for employee management no experience Gerdau has also sold company so pretty sure job security is a problem
competitive
Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Sayreville, NJ 08872May 23, 2018
in the steel mill is a very challenging job alot of security measures working with hot steel big machine operators long hours and overtime .Mostly under hot temperature
Pros
challenging
Cons
safety
Overall this is a great company to work for.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 22, 2018
If I could increase my hourly pay to 20.00 per hour, I wouldn't consider a second job or another job paying that hourly rate. The benefits are great as well as the work hours, even when I get overtime.
Pros
Job ending time
Cons
30 minutes lunch break
Great
Engineering and Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 15, 2018
Great place to work they have a great employee moral. This company works to permute those who work hard. I really enjoyed working for this company overall.
Productive place to work
Mobile Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 29, 2018
I enjoyed working at Gerdau. The work on big equipment was very challenging and a great learning experience. The crews were very helpful in guiding you to repair things you didn't know. There was not a lack of jobs to be spread throughout the team.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 22, 2018
I enjoyed my time here at Gerdau. However , my reason for leaving was I could not advance my career there which in turn would not allow me to advance financially. It’s a demanding field but I enjoyed the pressure and workload. In turn there was unlimited overtime which is never bad. Work environment is pretty relaxed and allows you to get what you need to do done
Pros
Available overtime, several luncheons, great benefits
Cons
Primary reason for leaving was no career advancement
Would recommend
Caster Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARApril 20, 2018
Good place to work if you are willing to work. It's hot work but the pay is fair and the coworkers are good people. Days are four on and four off so you feel like you get a vacation every week. It's 12 hour days, though.
Pros
4 on, 4 off, rotations, good pay, good benefits
Cons
12 hour days
working enviroment
Field Support Tech II (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLApril 13, 2018
I really enjoyed the work and in the beginning the company took very good care of its employees. As the company started to fail, employees where the first and major cuts and they took any and all benefits away that they could.
Then when I needed to be transferred closer to family they denied that.
production, fast paced work
Machine Operator, Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TNApril 11, 2018
good place to work for beginner welders. Got the job right after getting out of Tennessee Tech. Supervisors were easy to get along with, good atmosphere on the job.