Gerrity's Supermarket Employee Reviews

I loved working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAApril 15, 2019
i loved working here and i would take he job back if i had the chance, i made good easy money there and very nice hours. i liked my hours when i worked there.
fun job, bad pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Luzerne, PAMarch 21, 2019
Inevitable drama, no days off, inconsistent hours, passive aggressive managers, horrible pay, rude customers, unfair raises, and an extremely biased environment
Pros
fun job
Cons
pay, management
Bad Managers and Inactive Job
Grocery Associate (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAFebruary 20, 2019
Gerrity's was my first job as a teenager and I only got in because my dad was friends with the GM and one of the other managers. In the Grocery department you don't do what most other grocery stores would have you do in the same department, something that shocked my weis manager when I went in for my interview years later. Instead all you do is front shelves all day and occasionally get called out to retrieve carts from the parking lot. At the end of a closing shift you would take fresh greens from the produce department and ground meat from the meat department off the shelves and put it into the coolers, something I later learned is completely unnecessary. You also emptied trash throughout the building. I learned nothing from this job valuable to the retail industry. The management, including the owners themselves, are terrible leaders, I even met mama Gerrity herself for my orientation, a horrible experience. The culture is alright, I got along with my fellow associates and we were able to keep positive however most people were oblivious to how bad the working conditions actually were compared to competitors considering none of us ever worked at any other grocery store. Speaking of working conditions, Gerrity's associates and managers don't really clean much of anything, and its typically visibly filthy. The reason I ended up leaving was because the one manager my father was friends with started bad mouthing me to my father about my work ethic to which I abruptly left and never showed up again.

These experiences come from working at the Meadow Ave store in South Side Scranton,
  more... it could definitely be very different at other Gerrity's locations.  less
Regular entry level job
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Abington, PAJanuary 8, 2019
Deli is fast paced and a lot to do every day. Mostly everyone is part time accept mangament. Deli is paid the most cashiers get eight dollars per hour and stockers get eight.
Pros
Work
Cons
Low pay
Busy place but unfair pay
Floater (Current Employee) –  Hanover, PANovember 15, 2018
Place gives raises yearly of a quarter regardless of who you and what you do for them. Management often says they will help with the workload but never returns. Constantly scheduling poorly and last minute. Lack of advancement opportunities no matter how many favors you do them or how many areas you know.
Pros
Quartly shopping rewards of usually $35-$50 for most employees
Cons
Terrible pay and raise system. Management. Sceduling timely.
Great place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Luzerne, PANovember 13, 2018
Gerritys is a very flexible place of employment. I enjoy working there and everyone that works there make each day a fun experience. I’ve been there for almost 7 years and I wouldn’t leave unless something major came up.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAOctober 30, 2018
I have no review at this time. So i guess i have to write something. Pretty decent company to work for. The pay could be better as well as more employees to improve better customer service.
Ok place to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PASeptember 18, 2018
As a cashier I found it to be fairly busy store, not very stressful. There were regular customers that were loyal to the store. Management was ok to get along with.
Pros
Busy store
Can't make a living
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  West Pittston, PAAugust 21, 2018
Competitive pay just means you get more the more you work here not how good you work coworkers are nice and management is great and flexible the psyical job itself is painful
Cooks don’t just cook
Cook (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 31, 2018
Cooking was great and the people too, but with the work load of cooking for the day and prepping for the next and making sure the food cases were fresh and stocked at all times just got overwhelming then to look over and see the mountain of dishes that you had to somehow do in between doing everything thing else just got to be too much , the location I was at had no dishwashing machine which they should invest in or hire someone strictly just to do dishes because most of the time it got impossible to keep up on them and have to cook etc... and at the end of the night you have to clean fryers etc... pay was decent with cooking experience but the workload just not worth it.
It was a enjoyable work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAJuly 16, 2018
As a worker there it was good i like working there and i like the shifts i was given i can’t complan geritty’s supermarket was one of the best jobs i had.
management
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 9, 2018
rough management. Worked in the bakery so it was much different there than the rest of the store. Kept clean and not a terrible place to start off working.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, PAJuly 5, 2018
The managers are awesome, I left unexpectedly due to family issues but I’m looking for a permanent job instead of a short time. I highly recommend gerritys supermarkets to anyone.
Pros
Breaks and lunches
Cons
Nothing bad
Fun coworkers and easy job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Luzerne County, PAJuly 5, 2018
Easy job and tasks, can be stressful because of customers. Did not have a good pay, even people that have been there for years, but overall the job was easy and can be flexible
Pros
Lunch and breaks
Cons
Not good pay for the amount of hours worked
I did not enjoy working here.
Cashier - Duties (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 10, 2018
It is a very slow-paced job, and the days drag even when the store is "crowded." The management is not the nicest group of people, and they are very clique-like. The job itself as a cashier is a somewhat boring position, and the pay makes it not worth it. The raises are only about $0.25 annually and it is hard to advance much here.
Decent place to work
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Hanover Township PaMay 27, 2018
I'm overqualified to be working there but I enjoy the work and the people I come in contact with (customers). I do not choose to work full time as I've served my time in the Corporate world for over 30 years.

I am semi retired and do not want to work full time anymore. I just want to supplement my income to pay down/off debt
Pros
Quarterly bonus certificates
Cons
Everyone gets pretty much same raise each year
fun fast paced company
Assistant scan Cooridnator (Former Employee) –  West Pittston, PAApril 9, 2018
This was a fast paced company most of the time. Even though I was an assistant scan coordinator I still had a lot of inter actions with the community. The people you worked with pretty much became your family.
Pros
interacting with customers and made new friends
Cons
starting at 5am on Sundays
Summary
Produce Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAApril 7, 2018
Learned a lot about produce, loved my managers, easy job, long hours, good pay. enjoyed meeting new people and new foods. Everyone was nice and helpful.
Lots of Drama
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PAMarch 24, 2018
While flexible with making your schedule, it’s very random what days you’ll work otherwise. The people who’ve been there a long time can start a lot of drama. There’s not much opportunity to advance, but it’s good for a temp job.
Pros
Weekly pay, easy work
Cons
Unfriendly management, low pay, no advancement
Good beginner job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Pittston, PAMarch 3, 2018
As a first job it was fine. Can get hectic with customers sometimes and the manager there was a pain but it was simple and easy to learn.

Strong choice for first job if you don't mind people and don't want to work with money.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a