Gerson Lehrman Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Overall Review
eSports Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
Good Communication from the company, plenty of opportunities for additional work and engagement with the broader company. Interesting client engagements.
Lots of noise amidst big changes
Associate VP (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2018
GLG is a reasonable place to pass time if you just want a job and you just want to get paid. However, this is not a place you should go if you want growth, or if you want to bolster your marketability outside of GLG.
Pros
free coffee and food
Cons
virtually no growth, limited career trajectory
College for Young Professionals
Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 30, 2018
GLG is a great opportunity for those who are early on in there career and want to pad their resume. Be ready to sacrifice work life balance-- you will be expected to work nights and weekends. The culture is changing rapidly all of the time. Be ready and willing to adapt to change and often. Experiences tend to vary depending on who your manager is. I was lucky for the most part. Other were not. There is a diversity problem but HR and Hiring is "working on it". Work can be monotonous and boring but the compensation is pretty good for Austin, Texas. This is not a long term job for most people. Most stay for 18 months to 2 years and then move on to something else.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally, beautiful office space in downtown Austin, coworkers are awesome
Cons
no work-life balance, monotonous work, constantly changing culture
Research Manager review
Research Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2018
Pro's:
Easy to be entrepreneurial
Great for networking

Cons:
In my experience, management and job culture has been poor, but this is inconsistent across the company as teams tend to operate in siloes
At its core, the research manager role is repetitive and requires a competitive spirit to be successful
Lack of Management
Senior Research Associate, Private Equity (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 27, 2018
Great place to grow your career, but the management has no idea what they're doing most of the time. They often say "try 50 things and 5 of them will stick" which isn't how a business should be run.
Pros
Lunch on Tuesdays, but that'll likely be eliminated with new budgets
Cons
No work life balance, I work every night.
Independent Consultant
Independent Clinical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Clinical ConsultantMarch 22, 2018
This was a great opportunity to use my clinical expertise. I have not find another company that rely on your opinion and allow you to explain your opinion to the clients with such trust in your ability to to delivery .
Pros
open communication
Cons
not enough contrated worked.
No Summary
Senior Advisory Consultant (Former Employee) –  ANYWHEREMarch 20, 2018
No summary is applicable to this advisory position with intermittent work for various companies across multiple industries. There was no 'employment' or consistent schedule, no set hours, etc.
Its fine
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 6, 2018
Its fine. I don't like the industry but if you are interested in it, or generally want to work in a corporate entity/pursue a career in finance, then its a good fit.
Phone consults
Retail Adviser/Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Spending time doing surveys or phone consulting. Talk to leading investment groups. You set the time for calls. Complete surveys. Pay can range depending on experience and your level in companies. Have to be real careful not to give out trade secrets.
Pros
Work when you want too
Cons
pay
Consult on HDD Industry
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAFebruary 26, 2018
This was a contract basis job and was only part time as inquiries from clients were forwarded to me to either accept or decline. I worked from my home office and conducted business via teleconferencing.
As requested by clients, provide insights and opinions on current and long-term status/future of the HDD industry and the industries mechanical/electronics supply base. Continual industry research and analysis to determine trends in technology, manufacturing, supply base and markets
Great place to start off
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 19, 2018
Gerson Lehrman Group is a great company that offers great benefits. The office is full of driven and ambitious people, and the working environment is very fast-paced. It's a great place for someone to start their career.
Independency of your opinion
Free Lance Consultant - Council Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2018
Gerson Lehrman Group gives us possibility applying our knowledge and experience without biases to company interest.
I am a Council Member giving advice, recommendations, visions and frameworks on, industry, building, and construction markets for more than 300 million USD. Giving key risk analysis, probabilities and trigger point to monitor and mitigate impacts to global funds investors.
Good first job
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  NYJanuary 28, 2018
Good job out of college but the work never really changes regardless of being promoted to a better title. Wouldn't recommend working here for too long.
Avoid at all costs.
Events Team (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
GLG was a complete disappointment. They genuinely made me feel like they wanted to help me learn, but my job required little to no intellectual effort and culture was awful. It felt like high school, where no one wanted anyone else to succeed. Every time I have to go to midtown, I have PTSD walking by that building.

From 6am frantic text messages to getting a coffee for someone who I'm sure had functioning hands to do it themselves, to having to go to work while having the flu, the lists of cons are endless.

Do yourself a favor and look anywhere else
Awful culture that needs college grads who don't know better to survive
Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 26, 2017
GLG has a very discouraging environment if you are there beyond a year. You see how big the talent gap is for people who are promoted internally. They are trying to make up for this by hiring very expensive, qualified senior leaders, but at this point they are stuck with many late-20s, 30-something middle management leaders who have added no qualifications or skills since they started straight out of college. Yes, you get to work with clients quickly. But it does not matter since you don't get any industry experience, only GLG-specific experience. You are just as hire-able 1-2 years in as you are 3-4 years in, so at some point everyone realizes they need to leave if they want to do something more with their lives.

The old guard is very much defensive of their inner circle. They'll suck up to any new leadership that arrives, but for anyone more junior, they gatekeep to make sure only people who fit their social lives. Don't believe when they say they are "data-driven" or objective, the office dynamics are worse than any stereotypical high school drama.

If you are a liberal arts graduate from a middle tier school, it seems to be a good option for 1-2 years. Do not stay longer than that -- build your network and skills and move on. If you actually have any hard skills you should look elsewhere.

The tech is poor, the product mgmt and design is poor, communications are poor (they tried to address "gossip" in the office through a working group - yes, you read that right - and it turned out as well as you would think. The first "meeting" to address gossip turned into a
  more... gossip-fest and everyone talking about how much they loved having juicy details to send in IMs). Management is all over the place. Most people love their teams, but hate their managers. They keep promoting those who make the loudest noise to senior mgmt rather than those who can balance team and commercial leadership skills.

I've also heard non-direct managers tell junior associates that "when they were junior associates, they under reported overtime" which is wholly illegal to even insinuate. GLG as an institution intimidates very fresh college grads into working long hours for little pay (check your paystub for how many hours they are legally paying you for).

The actual business operations are so simple that it is mind boggling that there is even serious discrepancy over commercial production.
Pros
Free lunch on Tuesday, you will love your small team until you all decide to leave
Cons
Underpaid, overworked, bad managers and worse senior leaders
Consultations
Investment Analyst & Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2017
Too many consultations come in with multiple people listening on the line. 20 years of history to a group should pay more. Not cool to do a consultation and not know who's listening.
let's me make the choice
Consultant/Contractor (Current Employee) –  NJNovember 30, 2017
My role is a project based consultant / advisor so various projects are provided for my choice to work or pass on. This gives me the ability to always enjoy what I am working on.
Great Place to work as a consultant
Council Member (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNOctober 30, 2017
I worked as a consultant and was paid hourly for each job I was asked to assist and provide insight from my background. They are able to notify you via email of any upcoming jobs that they think you qualify for based on your background.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough jobs for full time
Stressful Place
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 26, 2017
You are only the metrics, can be very difficult at times because of this. The people are great but some of the management is scatter-brained and frenetic.
Pros
Free lunch on tuesdays
Pros and Cons
Research Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 22, 2017
GLG is a great place for someone start a career. It is a much more challenging environment when you are an experience profile.

They promote people that are good at their jobs vs, those that are good managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gerson Lehrman Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight