Getman Corporation Employee Reviews

Had interview
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 30, 2018
Submitted a application and about two weeks passed before I received a call about Getmans interest in hiring me. What followed was about 2 weeks of phone tag which was resolved with email which should've been started after the first missed call. Afterwards had a on site interview which i showed up roughly 5 to 10 minutes early and got started right away, I was told the process would be roughly an hour to an hour and half, which I prepared for.
I first met with the HR and interviewed with him in a conference room for about 5 minutes till it was brought to his attention that the conference room was booked for another meeting. After moving to his office to continue the interview he decided that he wanted to go to the second conference room to interview. After the interview with him, he wanted to have me tour the facility with the foreman and had me wait in the second conference room, this was about 20 minutes into the interview process.
I then remained in the conference room for roughly 20 more minutes purely waiting on the management to find the foreman while I was periodically checked on to make sure I was to fine.
The foreman arrived and I toured the facility in about 5 minutes and answered any questions I had and I answered about my past experiences in warehouse work. He then proceeded to have me interview with the final person for the process, being the plant manager. This was about 50 minutes in.
After arriving in the plant managers office I proceeded to have a normal interview with nothing out of the ordinary till about 5 minutes in to where he was criticising my ethics,
  more... morals, and where my future would be if I was in the company. Then insulted me for having flawed ethics in the work place.
Then proceeded to ask where else I've applied for, for what salary they offered and what was listed that I applied for, and what places have called me back.
I replied I'm looking for a long term career and wanting to work a full time and a safe work environment where I don't have to question if I'll have a job when I wake up while being part time.
It was obvious he was going to go against what was posted on the indeed posting for hourly wage and trying to low ball me or discourage me from applying to Getman in the future.
This was roughly a 40 minute interview in which I was degraded for a job I knew I wasn't going to have but I kept my professionalism to which he lacked.

The whole interview process didn't list the pay, benefits, or the normal duties that I would have been doing on a daily basis if I was hired. The interviewing process lasted close to 2 hours, at 1 hour and 40 minutes which is roughly what I expected.

I would highly recommend skipping this place as a whole for interviewing, working with, or interacting with them as it's a huge non professional ethics and company towards outsiders that they don't already work with.
Official response from Getman Corporation
August 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are committed to providing a positive interview experience and are continually working to improve our process, so we are sorry to hear about your poor experience. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

good place to work
Welder/ Fitter (Former Employee) –  South Haven, MIMarch 20, 2018
Great place to work! Pay was good! Clean workplace. Work load changes! About every five years or so the mining industry slows down! At will work environment makes for no security in employment!When the slow season hits the company will come up with any reason to terminate your employment
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Cwb
great place to work
Welder-Fitter (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIJanuary 30, 2018
I really enjoyed working there and would go back if given the opportunity! The only thing bad there was miscommunication with the welding test that was a surprise
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
bussiness slows down every 5 years or so
Great pay good benefits double standards
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MIOctober 9, 2017
I love what I do here
i feel the pay is very reasonable and benefits are great.
the management isn't very supportive or accessable
the level of hierarchy between salary and hourly is comparable to peasant vs royalty.

hourly put in the time and salary reap the rewards.
Slow Paced
Product Designer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MISeptember 12, 2017
My direct supervisor had issues communicating effectively. Days would go by in which no assignments or work load was given even though I asked my supervisor for work and told HR I needed more to do. Procedures and standards were not updated and seemed to change daily. Programs to perform duties, which were created internally by engineers, often times did not work properly or crashed unexpectedly. When work was given it was easy, but most assignments could be completed within a half hours time. There seemed to be poor interdepartmental communication. When i first started I asked different managers about the future of the company and how they wanted the company to develop in 5 years, but no one really seemed to have a vision for that.
Pros
decent benefits, quiet office atmosphere, low stress, decent compensation
Cons
lack of organization regarding standards and procedures, very poor communication and direction
Pays well
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MIAugust 13, 2017
Pays well but poor management and no upward mobility. In some places there is a lot that people can do without recourse, but clock-in times is not one of them. A lot of people do really enjoy working there though.
Good pay/Benefits
Welder 1/ Fitter 1/Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MIAugust 5, 2017
Quarterly production bonus. Birthday lunches. Well organized,clean environment,good people. This is a small company in a small town that depends on the conditions of the mining industry.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
management relations with employees.
Caring company, Interesting & fun job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MIApril 27, 2016
This company is great to work for. They serve an international customer base. It's interesting to learn about the mining industry while working from southwest Michigan. Although there have been lulls in the business the company strives to maintain its footing and jobs. It's cool to be part of an industry that factors into every person's life (mining does that!)

The facilities and benefits are great. They provide uniforms, boots, RX protective glasses to all floor operations employees. There is endless free coffee. There are quarterly buffet lunches and 'parties' provided for celebratory reasons (i.e. retirements, Superbowl, March Madness, holiday).

Lots of paid time off as well as the option to purchase additional time off. They encourage a happy work/life balance.

They hold monthly Company Wide Meetings and try to be as transparent as possible with sales numbers, company issues, up & coming events and communications.

They are extremely proud of the safety their products provide as well as the safety of the employees themselves that create the machines.

They respond to submitted suggestions for improvement which enables every employee to have a voice on how things are run.
Pros
Benefits, Paid Time Off, Co-workers
Cons
The mining industry is hyper-cyclical. There are booms & inevitable busts
Very productive work enviroment, very family oriented business.
Utility Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIJune 22, 2015
Getman corp was a very ideal job for me when I was in its employment. Day to day through the work week I learned more and more from individuals in my department, as well as other employees in other parts of the company. Each department was always working together to ensure top rate production speed, quality, and overall safety of the company as a whole.
Pros
Free coffee, comfortable enviroment
Cons
Lack of communication slightly, inconsistant inflow of orders for production
Very employee centric with sound culture
IT Manager and Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIMarch 4, 2015
Great company with employee centric goals while focusing on offering the best product to underground miners. The culture statement is proof of their commitment and direction.
Employees are treated very well. Family type atmosphere.
Technical/Customer Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MIOctober 8, 2014
My job is challenging and rewarding without being too stressfull. Great people and great work environment. Management genuinely cares about their team.
I really love working with various customers around the world. Occassionally there are language barriers, but it is worth it.
Very unique career.
Getman has the best compensation/benefits than any where I worked
MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MISeptember 10, 2014
the company tried very hard to make everything perfect for everyone. There was a lot of ups and downs through out the years, but overall was a great company to work for. The management needed a lot of work and they all were very hard headed. As for the Compensation/benefits they had the best I've ever seen and will be hard to find again. The people I worked with were great and we all seemed to work together very well, with just a few exceptions. The one problem that I never understood is that the office people did not work well with the warehouse people. Except for human resources which they were all wonderful.
Pros
Yearly bonus, birthday lunches, provided new steel toed boots yearly, yearly picinics etc.
Cons
Diversity classes, too many hours or not enough. no proper training
A very good family feel work place
Packer/Shipper and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 26, 2014
I learn how ship international
Management for the best is alright
Have work with good people
The hardest part of my job is when its slow
I love to build
A great place to work
Fabricator/Machining (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIJune 2, 2014
Getman was a great place to work. Very friendly co-workers that helped each other and worked like a team. Work was busy and plenty of overtime available. The hardest part of the job was moving steel to different locations. The best part of the job was working and helping each other be more productive and doing my job correctly and efficiently.I worked with sleel daily machining and fabricating to print. Using cranes and jib hoist to move the steel. Ive learned many things about production and teamwork at Getman Corp. It taught me a lot about the mining industry and all the skills it takes to build mining trucks.
Pros
benifits, overtime, and vacations
Cons
Management was unfair, poor advancement, disorganized
Bigger isn't always better
Welder / Fitter (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIMay 8, 2014
Company expanded. Lack of direction.Management was questionale. Healthcare was not afordable.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not great healthcare
Had a great time there positive place to work for.
Welder II (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIMay 4, 2014
Ordered parts for the area of department, hand weld parts large and small that go on hospital bed, operate robots, operate brake press an turretts, operate laser and VMC.
Great place to launch from
Painter (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIFebruary 7, 2014
Easy job, however with the mining industry being on a negative trend, work was sparse.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Cut throat approach to job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Getman Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Getman Corporation Reviews by Location