GFL Environmental logo

• Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

2.4
Work-Life Balance

A job thats there every day

Management is trying just not enough employees nobody wants to work anymore which turns into long days and a person can get burned out real quick money is ok just no time to spend it

Pros

Fair pay

Cons

Expensive benefits

Run

Run as fast as you can don’t bother applying here they treat you horribly you only get one day off a week they promise you things then they change their minds

Overworked and underpaid

You will work 12+ hours a day, starting around 2am. You are paid a day rate, and any overtime is “Chinese overtime”. Google it. Half of the equipment is outdated, and the mechanics just rig it up enough to be in “operating” condition. Company policy is if a mechanic deems a truck “safe” or “operational” you a required to drive it. If you don’t, because you feel the truck isn’t safe for any reason, you will receive disciplinary action. Mind you, the mechanics are not required to obtain a cdl. This means that when they conduct a “road test”, being that they do not have a cdl, they literally drive a couple laps around the yard. You cannot determined a truck is fully operational or safe until you actually take it out in the road and put some miles in. Management is a joke, the company is a joke. The only thing they care about is having a driver in the seat. After that, everything is your problem.

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Being employed there

Steady Job That's always available and plenty of overtime!

For the most part a good Job.. to much turn over and management doesn't really care. They want the job done. And as long as you show up and do your job without having an accident they don't bother you unless they need something else from you. If you are a strong independent worker just wanting to make money and don't mind the work overall a good place to work. Be safe!

Pros

Higher average pay with experience

Cons

No real work life balance. 60+ hrs a week. Bye weekly pay

Daily 🎭 drama and confusion and retaliation will happen if you complain

Technicians don’t stay long-term and the drivers don’t stay either in certain departments. The time I’ve been here and from what I’ve seen certain members in management want to blame others for what they have failed . IF you are not associated with a certain group their is no promotion or advancement within and if you are given a position because they have to give you the position they will make it hard for you to keep it so you might as well not accept the position. Seen it throughout my time there .

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Everybody is not treated the same and it depends on who you are !!!

Lots of work all the time

You will be required to work, work, and work! There will be no balance of work and life. You will have to schedule all life's appointments. And if something comes up you will get told that your personal problems don't belong at work and to try and figure it out on your own time.

Pros

Cons

No breaks, long days

Based on my experience at a company the took over

Gfl purchased my place of employment. During covid I got sick and missed a week.i was let go and that's the only place I've ever worked that even tho they held back a week of my check after I was terminated I didn't receive a final check. I have texts exchanged between myself and management showing I was working a few days after the last check I received.

Pros

Steady job

Cons

Paid every 2 weeks

Ok place to work

Ok job but trainer kinda impatient and didn't have time for breaks or lunch long hrs and when u finish your route gotta call in to see if yiu can come in for the day just to much

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Short or no breaks and training

good location

every work place has issues.hours are goodlocation is close to highwaypeople are gooduniforms are excellentprovide ppe when neededwork boots after 3 monthsbenefits are low

Pros

if you follow the crowd then this is a good place

Okay Place to work

They pay well for what you do on a day to day basis. The management was not very helpful. Very confusing and unnecessarily difficult training process.

Jobs at GFL Environmental

See more jobs

All around Excellent job

All around Excellent workEnvironment, excellent benefits, friendly staff and coworkers. Greatly recommend for somebody looking for a steady job and a steady paycheck and excellent benefits.

If you treated your employees better, your customers would be happier! Gfl in Harfordcounty Maryland is horrible!

Poor management from Corporate! Please treat your employees better! No one wants to work!!! Neiborhoods are canceling service in Harford county! Corporate does not care!

Good job between transition.

Long days. Mediocre pay. Management is by far the worst. Even the office manager can't help workers. Equipment is dangerous. Mechanics can't fix anything. Most employees are like working with children. During covid 19 they had no plan of action.

Terrible Management

Employees are treated as a number, not a person. Management uses scare tactics. They will intimidate and retaliate. Overall, a very toxic work environment.

benefits

Cons

everything else

Disrespectful to female employees, absolutely no communication.

Unless you belong to the boys club don't waste your time or energy. Very disrespectful, no communication at all. Whisper down the alley....and the person that needs the information never gets it. If management says jump you are expected to say how high, but, when you need answers you get crickets, or deer in head lights look. You are expected to do the work of 3 people without being properly compensated for it. And no matter what you are always the blame for something someone else is responsible for.

Pros

Cons

Too many to list

The GMs are more interested in there bonuses than doing what needs to be done to provide good service. They need new trucks!

No training and very poor sales management! The Fairburn location needs new trucks but the GM won’t buy them because of his bonus. Sales training is a joke and their computer system is archaic.

Pros

Work in Stockbridge. Great GM

Cons

Fairburn is a dumpster fire

Long hours but great pay and benefits.

Worked there for 6 years. Enjoyed my time, but be prepared to work 50-60 hours. Benefits and pay and management did not micro manage much which was appreciated. As long as you do your job you will be fine.

Pros

Pay and benefits. Management not too bad either.

Cons

Long hours....trucks break down sometimes.

worst place I have worked in all my work years

Awful work cultureManagement lacks knowledge and very insecure.manage by threats and intimidationfavoritismNo accountability for their actionsConstant gossip

Pros

get off at 5:00 and rare weekends

Cons

Awful work culture, Management lacks knowledge and very insecure, manage by threats and intimidation, favoritism, No accountability for their actions

Not a career

The pay is decent, but the workload is overwhelming, the trucks are old and falling apart, management costly padding itself on the back for doing very little, and if anything bad happens, you will be blamed as the driver. A Company where the driver comes last, profits come first.

Pros

You'll always have a job as long as you show up

Cons

Long hours, old trucks, no raises, poor management

Horrible place to work.

Horrible place to work. I wouldn't recommend gfl to anyone. I was laid off due to covid-19, when I returned, I had to wait 90 days for my insurance and they didn't want to honor my three-week vacation. So I quit and I went somewhere else. I wouldn't recommend gfl to anyone ever. I'm glad I left when I did.

Mechanics are lacking. Management was great.

Long hours, but great pay. Difficult to keep the trucks in great running order. Mechanics seem to make more excuses instead of fixes. I think I got more burgers from their grill than white sheets signed off. Working alone at my own pace was a perk. Pushed to do more, like everywhere else, but often understanding if I needed to leave early (doctor appointments/kids from school/ etc)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GFL Environmental. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5