Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
new experience
Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 9, 2018
i was working on AT&T BALLPARK for ghirardelli as a backpacker in the night games and in the day games as a chocolatier. It was a good experience working for them.
The people are great!!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 22, 2018
The employees are great except for corporate they just don't care about the employees anymore. I've been here 4 years and if management doesn't make sure to stay on top of them, problems don't get fixed in a timely manner.
Lots of chocolate to sample
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJune 18, 2018
Lots of changes happening all the time.
Constant high employee turn over rate.
Shortage of workforce, no crew to run production lines.
Always learning new things.
youy have to be a brown noser to work here
manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 15, 2018
management sucks they play favoritism never any room for growth in your career. you are treated like a slave the worst thing about this place is no recognition for your hard work
People come second
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJune 7, 2018
The Lindt and Sprungli company owns every decision Ghirardelli makes. Does not feel like a company where you can make changes. Bonuses are unattainable.
Overall morale of the workplace is negative.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJune 1, 2018
Ghirardelli work standards are overzealous. One or two minutes late on your break and you are reprimanded. The workspace at the Livermore location is small so everything you do and don’t do will be observed. The mall has strict employee parking rules and you will have nowhere to park on busy days.
Cons
Nowhere to park, nowhere to eat lunch, and strict standards.
Productive fun place to work
Lead Chocolateer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 3, 2018
-Sell retail and serve dessert
-Prep items used at store like hot fudge, whip cream, cones, ect.
-Greeting customers and ensuring their store experience is great.
Theres multipule things that will keep you busy while working in this warehouse
Machince Operator (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAApril 22, 2018
A typical day at work , or at night in my case was coming 15 minutes early . I would wait for the locker wardrobe to open , pick out my apron , & put my hair up . Then we would do our daily stretches & listen too what lines we were working on afterwards . We had to wear gloves , ear plugs , & hair nets . I would work on a the fastest line in the factory , tempco 1. I would sometimes operate the machine which included starting it up or stopping it . My jobs varied from dumping chocolate in the bins , to loading bags , to weighing the kick off bags and putting the right amount in then putting them back on the line , to packaging the bags in boxes . I would also palletize then move the pallets to a certain destination . At the end of the day we would wipe down the machinces & sweep up all the extra mess on the ground for the next shift
Pros
Fast pace, always busy, learning new things
Cons
Unfair wages
Fun, but Stressful
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYApril 22, 2018
Through recent Management changes, Ghirardelli is not a fun place to work. The staff is constantly unhappy with changes and some of the upper supervisors are throwing around their weight to secure their jobs.
The night time hours are not fun as we are sometimes there until 12am when we close at 9pm.
Pros
Free Dessert
Cons
Late closings
Productive & Fun place to work
Supervisor/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 6, 2018
Ghirardelli is a fun place to work. You get to sell chocolate and ice cream to tourists and locals of all ages. Hours are from 10am-12am Sunday through Thursday and until 1am Friday and Saturday. The store often gets very busy on holidays and especially during the summer. Its not a very large store so you get to know your coworkers pretty fast.
Pros
Small store, benefits offered, flexible shifts, good job for students, employee discount
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Good as a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 20, 2018
Job extremely stressful, requires multi-tasking and much physical work. The location was very busy, especially during summer. Many rules to follow yet the pay was not that great.
Pros
Free ice cream during breaks, duscounts for chocolate purchases
Cons
short staffed, lack of job advancement, very little pay for the job requirements
Great place to learn new production warehouse skills. Nice crew leader and machine operators.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CA 95330March 8, 2018
Great place good people most enjoyable part of job is special hoilday projects,and to learn new production warehouse skills. Nice crew leaders and machine operators.
good steady job
Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAMarch 8, 2018
Typical day was showing up in uniform to include a sweet hat, and an apron. We got to wear bright white button down shirts, with slip resistant shoes and khaki pants. It was located in a fantastic area! Right in historic Monterey Bay, on the ocean. Most days were full of sunshine and the sweet city aromas of summer. I have yet to work in a more beautiful area! The job itself was quite ideal. Guaranteed breaks, medium length shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the view of the ocean through the large windows.
Pros
ideal location, sales or food handling, guaranteed breaks
Cons
tight management style
smelled like chocolate and joy.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2018
very fast paced yet calm. management was unorganized but fair. the chocolate was amazing. i learned team worked and better work ethic. work place was calm.
Pros
the chocolate
Cons
the communication
Sweet place to work!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CAFebruary 21, 2018
I've worked for the company for about 6 years - started as an hourly "chocolateer" and worked my way up the ranks quickly. Great work/life balance with opportunities to advance.
Pros
Free chocolate!
Cons
A lot of manual, time consuming systems
Great temporary job
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2018
This job is fast paced and stressful, so no recommended for anti-social workers, or even first time workers. Has decent benefits, but not a great salary for the long run especially if you wish to begin finding a home and settling down with a family.

Manager at my location needs to be checked on her actual working hours, her skills as a manager are often in question by several of the employees. Things that break down don't get fixed correctly or on time, however manager doesn't put their foot down to get them done on time and correctly.

Very busy location.
Project Manager and Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 8, 2018
Great place to work. Good management. They provided training and guidance. Good cross functional team environment. The only negative was career advancement.
Pros
all the chocolate you can ever want
Cons
Career advancement
fun place to work at
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAJanuary 8, 2018
Easy job, fun and nice people to work with. I learned how to operate the temco machines and on how to detail product. as well as label product. Management was great.
Great Side Job
Fountain! (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2018
It's a fun place to work. Its very nice part time job. The co-workers make it fun and nothing is too hard to do. The trash sucks to take out because we have to dig through the gross melted chocolate and wrappers to sort trash from recyclables and compost. Managers are helpful and resourceful. Supervisors are fair.
Pros
Free Ice Cream, Huge Discount on Chocolate, Fun Place to Work
Cons
Rigid schedules
never a dull moment
IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CADecember 28, 2017
The work week is busy, with the growing company, there are a large number of onsite and offsite employees to assist. With the number of projects and issues to work on, you are always learning something new and there is never a dull moment.

The work place culture is great, everyone working for a common goal and quickly adjusting to the ever changing market. Everyone can talk to management and they stop to listen. Since everyone is located in one building, you can find your answer and collaboration is great.