Giant Eagle, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 2,724 reviews matching the search See all 2,727 reviews
Flexible, but in need of work
Produce Department Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Murrysville, PADecember 12, 2018
As my first job at a sizeable business, I don't have much perspective, but I think it is a great job for people in a similar position as me with not many job options. I won't be staying for much longer. They were accommodating to my schedule, but they kept scheduling me for more hours than I asked for. Usually understaffed. Like any job, you get out of it what you put it, but you are not likely to have much chance for real benefits or advancement. Management was kind to me, but sometimes seemed clueless. The employ discounts do add up as my family does a lot of shopping at Giant Eagle.
Pros
Flexible schedule, discounts, nice management, lots of work
Cons
Poor communication, little chance for advancement, will give you as much work as you let them
Developed cooking and customer service skills
Prepared Foods Team Member (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 8, 2019
Giant Eagle, being my first part-time job, gave me plenty of opportunities to learn new things. I learned how to operate the rotisserie oven, two fryer vats, and other cooking apparatuses. The job of cooking, recording temperatures, cleaning used dishes and tables, and providing customer service made everything so fast paced. However this was important for me to get used to if I was ever going to develop time management skills. The days were tiring but rewarding and I'm glad to have worked for Giant Eagle. Even if it was only for a year I learned plenty for future careers.
Pros
Time management and praise from customers
Cons
Physically stressful
Nice benefits
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vermilion, OHNovember 2, 2018
Hours awful pointed for being late when doors locked and can't get in or pointed for not staying exactly 8 hrs.because you were 2 min late and didn't stay 2 min over Pointed for being late while in line for time clock forced to buy expensive shoes out of there catalog for work. Forced to pay union dues or get fired for not being a union employee ..OT forget it you will be chewed out and forced to leave at 40 hrs. Then pointed for leaving early chewed out because others left you a mess and you stayed over to clean it then your told to leave early what an endless cycle or your directed to clock out and clean because OT is not allowed two 15 min breaks a day that's it unless you want a unpaid lunch don't clock in late from your break which took you 10 min to walk outside and 2 for the actual break
Terrible place with nice forced upon you union benefits
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks bad management
Overall great place to be employed
Pharmacist (Staff) (Current Employee) –  Beachwood, OHJanuary 11, 2019
Throughout my 8+ years as an employee at Giant Eagle I have been given several opportunities and been treated very well. It is retail with retail like experiences that aren't for everyone. As a people person I enjoy my interaction with everyone in my location as well as upper management. The hardest part of my career would be long hours which are totally flexible and I choose them myself. I enjoy spending my time with my patients and employees each day which is why retail has worked for me. I've learned a great deal about myself as well as managing a team on a day to day basis.
Pros
Family run and well organized
Cons
None at this time
Are You Appreciated?
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 11, 2018
This is the question I was asked when I told someone I have worked for Giant Eagle for 34yrs. And the answer is "No". I am currently a salaried Team Leader for Giant Eagle. One thing you will notice right away you are noting more then a body. There is no sense of appreciation while working for Giant Eagle. First off you won't get rich working for this company. They will never let that happen. When you are in a salaried position you may or may not get a raise each year. Some years they will tell you that your not getting a raise because you make too much money but we still need you to help us make as much money as possible. I've had a time where I went 3 yrs without a raise because I was told I couldn't make more then a certain amount while working for Giant Eagle. Work life balance is horrible. You will find yourself work 10 to 12 hours a day and most week you will be doing 6 days and even 7 days a week for no extra money. If you try to talk to someone about your issues no one wants to hear it. Giant Eagle is no longer the company it once was.. Greed has taken over
Cons
pay, work life balance, upper management, Greed
Used and abused
DELI CLERK (Current Employee) –  Mentor-on-the-Lake, OHNovember 29, 2018
I loved it... for the first two weeks, then the true colors showed through like the monster in your closet. Giant Eagle runs a skeleton crew and they aren't a pirate ship. The deli, meat department, seafood are all running with a limited crew when there should be at least two people at all times - three on busy nights. When someone leaves (fired, quit, leave of absence), they don't replace them, running the rest of us ragged. If we're not busy, which isn't often, we are told to find something to do... appear busy; scrub the walls.

Management sucks. It's like, they are looking for every loophole to make a buck, no matter what it does to their employees. Not enough team members for the night, we are told to make it work, do our best, but then lectured when something doesn't get done. Usually, my schedule is until 9 pm but I am never out of there before 9:30. (People, stop coming to the deli right at closing time.)

Trust me, you do not want to work at Giant Eagle. It might be better at a fast food place. They promise you the world to get you in (good hours, competitive wages, a chance for advancement), but then after you're in... you realize you just got played as they work you to the bone.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Management sucks, skeleton crew
God for short term employment
Front End Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Green, OHJanuary 16, 2019
Giant Eagle can be a great place to work short term. You can work your way up somewhat if you’re willing to work hard. I enjoyed the team environment. It is best not to stick around super long, as it seems you work your way up the pay scale, their loss prevention people will seek out a way to get rid of you and replace you with someone cheaper. Happened to me, and several people at my store in my 6 years there. In summary, Giant Eagle is a good job for high school or college students, or adults looking for part time work, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a long term career. The union can also be annoying. Have to pay the dues, and they aren’t exactly helpful, like at all.
Pros
Team environment, free lunches once a month, some advancement opportunity
Cons
Short breaks, loss prevention spying on you
Giant Eagle Century Square
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 13, 2019
Every day was different to me at the time, because of certain medical conditions I was dealing with at the time (hence the reason I left). I learned how many good people take jobs at Giant Eagle as I made many good friends, I learned how to use a register (need a refresher course). The management was the coolest until about the time I was there about 9 years, but I realize this is only a singular event and do not believe it as a whole. It was a culture of hardwork and good business- when one did well- one was always treated with the utmost respect...and as well as if one had an 'issue' it would be listened to. I can't really say what was the hardest part of the job / since when I started I was still being affected by a traumatic head injury, and eventually my headaches were so regular I had to leave so every day was hard...I have been on proper medicine for awhile now and am definitely ready to start back to work. The most enjoyable part were my coworkers, I made many blessed friends.
Pros
free lunches, good co-workers, steelers days, and occasionally casual days
Fun company best meat dept to work in
Meat Cutter/Butcher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 29, 2018
I love my job at the eagle it is alotta fun the pay is good benefits are good as well. I work in a min union location which I'm thankful for. The only downside is that pretty much every dept is short handed. And if you are a full-time employee you have to have open availability. Which is not bad unless like me your very involved in a church program this job makes getting Sundays off very hard. Other than that the company is awesome they really like to show appreciation towards their employee's
Pros
Competitive pay, advancement opportunities.
Cons
Scheduling
Giant Eagle was a great place to work until 5 years ago
Deli leader (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 20, 2018
Lack of staff,you learned to do it all you had to majority of time you had 3 to 4 positions to fill yourself because you had no staff,poor management Regional on down,no culture, achieving their goals when you was not given the tools to complete task,taking care of the customer
Pros
Salary was decent
Cons
Poor upper management, poor advancement opportunity
Good Stepping Stone
Sr Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 25, 2018
The actual job as a senior team lead is quite simple. Managing a team, working at the standards are what make the job more challenging.
I enjoy the fact that i had job security and paid benefits/vacation time. however the work/life balance as a salaried leader is very small. i get relocated constantly and its hard to start a family.
My opinion based on facts
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  South Euclid, OHDecember 16, 2018
I would not suggest for any one to work here unless they had no where else to work at. It's not a good place to work at. The work load is a lot, you have little to no help. The pay and hours are terrible and management treats you badly when it comes to their expectations with the unfair amount of work they expect you to get done during the course of your shift. Healthcare is also terrible. Unless your in management. Management get somewhat better pay and benefits than the average worker.
Pros
You have a job.
Cons
It's one of the worst jobs to ever have.
Very stressful
Department Leader (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 27, 2018
As a department leader the work is stressful. It's a multitasking event every single day. Leaders do employee work on top of their own leader responsibilities. Balancing duties such as putting the order away, stocking and blocking, cleaning, order writing, waiting on customers non-stop, production, schedule writing, covering call-offs, coaching, hiring, making orders etc. all while you have the fear of disappointment from upper management because this and that isn't done and they wonder why. Not to mention doing whatever your boss asks of you asap in between all of that. The hours are forever being cut thus making us and the employees do triple work while the expectation stays the same or even goes up.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
long hours, low pay, leaders should lead and not be required to do ALL the work.
Great place to work if you like sitting all day
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Lewis Center, OHJanuary 18, 2019
Great Management and leads in positive manner promoting job advancement within Giant Eagle.; You must realize the importance of your job as a tech as the medications you are sending to the RPH must be accurate 100% of the time. Take the job serious and you will be fine.
Pros
Sit down job (if you like that sort of thing) M-F only, Great Boss
Cons
No energy in the call center, and 15 minutes breaks go way too fast.
Not enough help
cashier (Current Employee) –  Marietta, OHAugust 11, 2018
Been here for 14yrs! Used to be a good place to work but, today there is never enough help, hours are not a lot, they say there is advancement but, only if you are young and favored. A lot of favoritism goes on. Insurance is good but, you have to keep 20hrs or more to keep it! If not they take it away. Management is ok but, definitely not how it used to be. You want a part time job with little hrs or pay then go for it if not then don't apply. Definitely needs to improve on ALL EQUIPMENT!!! Always breaking down, and so used and old can't even fix it properly.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Pay, never enough help, needs better equipment and space!
Productive work place with good teamwork for the most part.
Butcher/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 21, 2018
A union company that has a combination of part time and full time jobs. Even if your part time if your willing to help out and work the extra hours there are usually extra hours to grab up. Because of how big giant eagle/Market District is there are more opportunities to move up or get into a full time position or even work extra hours. The environment for the most part in the company is positive and people work together and help each other out.
Pros
Positive working environment
Cons
Raises are union based
Management positions extremely stressful
Department manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 30, 2018
Been a manager for many years and know there is quite a bit of stress involved,HOWEVER, GE has management overload. The training is not top notch at all. Never seem to be able to hire anyone for skilled positions so you are filling in the gaps plus doing all of the typical financials, reports, compliance related duties. There is no work life balance because if you want to achieve all of these you have to work ungodly hours as to not be chastised for non-compliance. They do have good benefits, but it’s not worth the burnout.
Benefits
Cons
Hours, not enough reliable help
The job and work its self isn't hard honestly Its the management that makes the place stressful
Sales Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 26, 2018
working in a union is already a Tough thing to handle reason being is because , a lot of discrimination occurs .The management sticks together and singles the employees out to also add us employees work as a team and we stick together to do whats important and get the job done but too just be completely honest at my location I can't speak for all but my location has poor management its not the job its self its the people in charge.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Management skills
Lost their focus on the customer
Staff Pharmacist / Floater Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  VariousJune 28, 2018
Culture at giant eagle pharmacy is completely driven by the legal dept. Focus from upper management on down is completely on minimizing risk. Was once told in a year end review from my supervisor no one ever has been fired from GE for providing bad customer service so why focus on it. If you are focused on patient care probably not the place to be
Pros
Amount of staffing is better than most
Cons
Policies procedures and lack of focus on customer
Okay Pay, Toxic Culture
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 10, 2018
When I started here, the company took better care of employees, but they've steadily reduced perks and fringe benefits over the years. Management gets a lot more bonuses and random benefits than associates, and team members are pretty much at the mercy of their supervisors for scheduling. Unless your store is union, there are no guarantees about how many hours you get, and if you have a problem with a member of management or anothet employee, good luck--HR doesn't want to hear it. I was bullied and harassed into quitting by a manager, and despite numerous complaints from myself and coworkers, nothing was ever done. Half my department--many longtime employees--have quit, but the supervisor is still there. They can change your schedule up to midnight of the day before and aren't required to inform you, but you're required to work the new hours. Discount is 10%, but only on Giant Eagle brand products, and they hound you until you get an Advantage card even if you don't shop there. They also expect a *lot* of the employees--work is extremely physical, and the environment is stressful--but don't do anything to defend you from abuse by customers and management. The pay is okay compared to other grocery stores in my area, and you do get benefits and vacation time even working part time, but unless you have an icredibly thick skin or a martyr complex, it's probably not worth it.
Pros
Breaks, Benefits, Paid Vacation
Cons
Management, Hours, Little chance of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Eagle, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Giant Eagle, Inc..

Powered by Comparably