Giant Eagle, Inc. Employee Reviews

quick paced and crazy
Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chardon, OHJuly 19, 2018
A pretty standard retail gig, it will be quick paced. It will be stressful, crazy, and unrewarding. The people you meet will not always be the best, and the coworkers will vanish fast.
Pros
Union
Cons
low pay, short brakes, stressful
Giant Eagle is an ok place to work.
Prep Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 19, 2018
Giant Eagle was an ok place to work in that it didnt take consideration for leaving when sick. when I needed time off for an unexplained illness they were less likely to let you go home unless you talked to a supervisor and got their ok
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, OHJuly 19, 2018
Learned a lot about customer service and working in the retail food business. Made a lot of friends with co-workers and enjoyed working at the store. The hardest part of the job is being constantly at work and no down time.
Pros
Nice break room
Cons
weekly scheduled only put out a few days in advance
Front End Chaos
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 18, 2018
Very stressful environment, a long with immature workers and management. Under staffed constantly, regionals always stating we arent working hard enough. Expected to do the work of 6 people and get degraded when we can not complete all the work given by the end of the shift.
Benefits
Cons
Fast paced, have to have patience. Work with people. Learn multiple techniques.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rices Landing, PAJuly 18, 2018
I Overall loved it. Loved moving up quickly. But pay raise and hourly wage was not enough to survive. Worked before I got pregnant and until the day I ha my son.
The customers were great
Barista (Current Employee) –  Market DistrictJuly 17, 2018
I was hired in with 16 hours. One week I worked less than eight. Then I look on indeed and see a job posting. I worked in Starbucks but was employed by Giant Eagle.Starbucks employees can except tips , possibly make more and get free bags of coffee. Other Giant Eagle stores pay more than the Bexley location I'm not sure why.
Pros
Store discount, weekly pay
Cons
Inconsistent hours
No room for advancement
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Slippery Rock, PAJuly 17, 2018
Working as a cashier at Giant Eagle was a very slow paced job-you spend a lot of time standing around. There is no room for advancement, management was rude and unwilling to help, there were next to no hours available and the pay rate is terrible.
Cons
No hours, Poor Compensation, No room for advancement
great place to work at.
Cashier and Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MD 21701July 17, 2018
Great place to work at if your looking for experience in customer service . The manager was always updated on the upkeep of the store and what they needed in the dairy dept.
Pros
great place to work at.
Union Run Workplace
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 16, 2018
Working here should only be a temp job unless you are in management. Do to this business being heavily influenced by a workers union it is not able to properly staff its stores and or run them the way a retail store needs to operate in today US economy. Yes Retail, not grocery. Due to the products offerings and size of these stores they should be considered and run like a Target, or Walmart, or Macy's and every employee should be able to address issues in any department so that any customer can be helped at a moments notice. Far to often the situation arises where there is employee available but because it is not there department they are standing in they cannot assist and customers are forced to wait. This is because often they are not trained and or are not allowed to train in said department due to the Unions regulations and the contracts that have over the company. This should be a temporary job.
Not the best.
Service Desk & Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 15, 2018
They work you to death and pay you next to nothing. You have to work there for years just to make enough to maybe make a living. The hours are always all over the place. Mangers never know what they are doing. They are constantly going against company rules. Not worth it.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Pay
It's a job
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2018
Basically its a job, but you really don't matter regardless if you're the best employee or the worse. More so a starter job, or a job if there is another provider within the household that makes adequate enough money.
Pros
Flexible work hours available
Cons
Management, culture, pay, and hours
Decent part time job
North Olmsted - Perishable Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHJuly 13, 2018
Looking for a part time job, this is for you. Medical or dental/vision for part time employees after 90 days also with paid vacation and paid holidays. Hard to get full time and raises are threw union after a certain amount of hours worked.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low pay
Fun place to work, very friendly customers poor management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, PAJuly 13, 2018
Friendly customers, very poor management. Mainly one manager, she would get an attitude with employees and even customers for really no reason. When you would ask for help she would make it seem like you were inconvenienceing her
Great Place to start
Utility Clerk/Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHJuly 13, 2018
Giant Eagle is great place to work if you like part time and want to stay where you are at. Love the co workers there , made great friends there. Also loved the discounts you were offered.
Pros
Great co workers, and discounts
Cons
advancement, and hours
dishonest
night stock clerk (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 12, 2018
I dont respect a company that lies to ist employees.i believe you should tell them the truth no matter how much it hurts their feelings.the work is easy
Only certain people should work here - That's not me
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 12, 2018
Where to start.. Hiring process was very easy. I think they will hire anybody who applies. Starting pay is minimum wage and no one can live off of that unless you live at home with your parents. Most of the fellow employees were young kids. You only receive the minimum hours most weeks which is 21hrs. Store was busy and understaffed.
Cons
pay, hours, union dues
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAJuly 12, 2018
I loved working for giant eagle.it was my first job in high school so the shifts where flexable.my mangers & co workers made it a fun place to work.customers where pretty great to.
Pros
The hours for me because i was in high school at the time
Cons
When i ended up moving was the location for me
good
stockboy (Former Employee) –  West Newton, PAJuly 11, 2018
i was a stock boy there so i did not really get to do that much cause i was always putting new product on the shelf. overall it was a nice place to work at nice staff and everything
Was a terrible place to work
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHJuly 11, 2018
You always got yelled at for when a customer came up to you while you were working.....you always got yelled at for talking to other associates...yet it was ok for managers
Pros
Short breaks
Cons
Stressful people were very ignorant
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAJuly 10, 2018
I liked being a cashier just thought they were lil hard on me for how hard I worked an only took two days off worked every weekend for months not sympathetic to injuries nor reliable for days off can't please every customer there's no way
Pros
Sundays got 9.00 an hour
Cons
Short breaks no raise no smiling faces

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Eagle, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

53out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Giant Eagle, Inc..