Giant Eagle, Inc.

Deli Associate147 reviews
United States147 reviews
Featured review
Giant Eagle, Inc. selected this as a representative review
I worked here 25 years, loved working with the other employees and customers, very friendly. Great place for advancement. It was a great place to learn new things on a daily basis.
January 9, 2020
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us and for 25 years of service! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time working for Giant Eagle!
It was a very professional work place, that I enjoyed working at. They have Good management and productive team members. I would recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Flexible schedules
July 20, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear you had a positive experience working with our deli team!
Ok so when i was first hired there ot was great! Had a great manager and she was very inclusive to everyone! She helped us work out our problems (as we worked in a very cramped department that was shared between both deli and prepared foods) when we did good deeds or a really good job at something she would reward us. then corp made her go to a new store. We got someone who didnt like helping customers, refused to help us with anything, and threw more jobs at us to do. Had to deal with her for a year. We had stress far beyond any job should have and everyone seemed to hate each other(unless you were part of the mini clicks) Was fired because I didnt wear my "safty gloves"
In general it's a good place to work so long as you don't plan on being there for the long term. Unless you encounter the right people to help and encourage you to go too management. You don't want to stay to long.
Pros
Flexible hours
Working at giant eagle gave me more patience and motivation. Everyone in the store is working and learning new things which makes individuals want to learn and work to their best ability. Giant eagle is definitely a family felt environment.
March 5, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear you feel supported in your role. Our Team Members are truly what make us great!
Pros: They’re becoming more sustainable, Decent insurance + 401k

Cons: awful pay and low morale (depending on store), no stocks, no perks for working weekends or overtime, low overtime availability, shorthanded, high turnover, corporate really needs to start focusing on employees.
February 3, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! The nature of the retail industry demands weekend and evening scheduling, and we always strive to provide a positive work environment and to pay a competitive wage for our Team Members. We will be sure to share you concerns regarding rate of pay, staffing and morale with the appropriate teams.
It's not a hard job ppl are great to work for coustmor are awesome I like the work I do there I enjoy working with my co workers the management is great
January 30, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear you are enjoying working at Giant Eagle and with your fellow Team Members!
I like what I do, just too much pressure to make sure things are done. Just wish that all team members were acknowledged and appreciated more by the owners for the work that is done by the full time team members. There is no incentive to work in this particular store.
Pros
Can make new friends
Cons
Too much stress
The management are very flexible with my college schedule. Ability to improve my customer service skills. Taught me how to handle food properly and keep a clean environment.
January 2, 2020
Thank you for your feedback! We're thrilled to hear you're taking advantage of our flexible scheduling and developmental opportunities. Thanks for your continued commitment to our guests!
There is absolutely no set schedule for any position. The environment makes you want to go home as soon as you start your shift. Most of the time you are just standing there hoping someone comes to the deli.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Giant Eagle, Inc.?
I was a deli and I had to cut meat and cheese for the customers and I showed to work on time worked my schedule shifts I was a good worker they enjoyed me there
Six years of wanting to improve my work environment. Wanting to be better. Buying into the lies. They don't care about their employees. You hardly get trained. The culture is toxic. The turn around on new employees is crazy. The only people who want to work there are the ones who have been there for 15+ years and plan to retire.
i would come in and i see who is working and i know its going to be a good day. people in other departments are good to work with too. every one that i talked to there where happy
I only been there one year so far it's great, but it has one down side to .
If you can't stand on your feet all day then this would not be the perfect job for you.
A topical work day consists of cleaning everything, dry wiping it down, and cutting large amounts of pre cooked food products Staffs nice, everyone's friendly, flexible hours.
Pros
Discount on GE groceries
Cons
Not very high starting pay.
Walk in and immediately start working
I learned how to chip and slice different meats and cheeses. I learned how to serve customers. I had to stock the case and the shelves outside the deli.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Coming from a Business background for so many years I was trying see if it was possible for me learn something else.
Going into the retail business, (some jobs not posted as they were seasonal) I found them each very different in dealing with the customers.

At Legacy I learned different kinds of lunch meats and cheeses. It was very informative for me as I am not a lunch meat eater bus during my employment I've learned to eat quite a few different meats.
Pros
Interacting with some many people of different backgrounds, cultures.
Cons
Standing for long hours during a shift.
understaffed while you work hard certain management would be sitting on their phone or sleeping. never cares about the employees who actually work hard. overtime was pushed upon. no advancement. they need better management, better pay for the ee's who actually keep the customers coming back and make the effort.
The job at the deli was simple food prep and fryer experience nothing difficult working with the customers was also pleasant which made the experience more worthwhile
Giant eagle is a great company all around but in the deli alot of problems go unsolved and management generally blames you or doesn't solve the situation for example I was finishing a shift when a co worker started a fight and reported that I had retaliated and called her names and I was punished and she wasn't plus many other feuds go on that both manager and assistant manager tend to ignore or fail to respond correctly to the situation
Pros
Discounts open availability
Cons
Stressful mostly hires colledge students
I was hired in the deli,
they trained me in both deli and prepared foods.

I never learned the organization system combined with my lack of people skills lead to me being jettisoned from my position.

If you can handle crazy old ladies, mothers who think the world revolves around them, and folks wanting meat sliced to thinner than physically possible. Then you can handle the worst this job has to offer.
Pros
Enjoyable co-workers
Cons
1/4 customers will be annoying on a good day
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Eagle, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
1.1K
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Giant Eagle, Inc..
Career recommendations for Deli Associate
Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more