Giant Food

United States2,194 reviews

Found 2,194 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,228 reviews
customhourco-workergrocerybenefitbreakcustomerstore

Relaxed work environment

A good place to work. Friendly staff and positive work environment. Management support. Some days are slower than others, but no two days are the same.

Hours are reduced after you start working.

Management is poor. Low wages. Most of the co workers are not friendly. No room for advancement. Bad atmosphere to work in. No benefits for parttime employees.

Giant Food insights

Based on 1,259 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Like working on a sinking ship

The job itself is tiring, standing all day, but the customers are so nice you can forget the pain in your legs. It's the management that'll get you down. Everyone looks happy, but that's just towards the customers. Your schedule is at will of literally one person. If they decide to give you 40 hours for two weeks when you're a part timer trying to pass your midterms, so be it. If you ask for any leniency in your schedule, they laugh in your face. If you're a masochist, looking for long term pleasure, this is the job for you.

Coworkers were fun

Coworkers were fun to be around and talk too. Some of the managers weren't all that great and definitely took advantage of the position as well. Overnight is hard and not rewarding.

Pros

Pizza days sometimes

Cons

Customers

Easy job

easy job, very easy to adapt. Schedule does fluctuate weekly. busiest days are Monday's and Friday's. Managers are nice and understandable. weekly pay

decent first job but repetitive

this was a good first job that was definitely a little hard to adjust to at first. after a few months it has become more easier but gets very repetitive.

It was fun if you don't want to move up

Was allowed to learn stuff constantly but not allowed to use the knowledge to advance they seem to cater to the young lazy high school college kids the Front End Assistant Store Manager would stab you in the back as quick as look at you

Get to work with your friends and create family there!

I love it there, the people you work with become your friends and it’s an amazing experience, I would recommend if you can work there, then do it! It’s gratifying

Don't do it

If your looking for a career then don't go to giant. The pay is horrible and the management is educated moron's... If common sense was given at Easter, no one would have a full basket...

Flexible hours and low-stress work environment.

Giant was a good job for me while attending college because of the flexible hours and multiple locations. The work was easy and the managers were generally laid-back. Downsides include low pay, lack of advancement opportunities and required to work holidays.

Your experience depends on your managers

The first location I was assigned to was the best supermarket experience I have had. It seemed the culture was different from the company from which they recruited me. After moving to another store, it became evident that your experience will be colored by the team that runs the store. Probably standard throughout retail.

Is what it is.

Typical corporate landscape. Bad managers with big egos. Menial work, high turnover. Not the place to be if you want to feel like you’re accomplishing something.

Worst company I worked for

My hours have dropped tremendously There's no communication Management stays upstairs I'm office every day all dayI just like the weekly payOverall Sad job/worst company I have worked for

Was okay

Worked there for several years. Was about what you expected. Very limited full time positions and limited ability to advance. Poor wages. Managers we're okay for the most part, lots of turnover though.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Poor pay

Raises

They don’t mind giving raises. If you come to work time do your job! They won’t mind giving u a raise no fight no fuss . Most of the time it’s a surprise. U get ur check and boom.50 more

Miserable

Upper management is lost in the store. They make decisions on things they don’t know about. The pay is terrible.Only a hand full of people are appreciative.They don’t hire enough people and make more people do more than one persons worth of work.They get mad when you make decisions that are best for you.Would not recommend to my worse enemy.

Do not apply here!

Where do I start… if you want your mental health to go down the drain, if you want no work life balance, if you want to feel extremely unappreciated, if you want to be drained and exhausted 24/7, then this is the job for you. My 2 years working at giant food have easily been the worst 2 years of my life. Only reason I stayed this long is because I got promoted but I wish I would’ve said no to the promotion. One of the other managers at the store I worked at was sent to a MENTAL HOSPITAL!! Giant seriously needs to re-evaluate itself as a company if they want to keep hardworking employees. Overworked and underpaid is an understatement. Giant will tear you down as a person and only lead to negativity in your life as a whole. PLEASE STAY AWAY!!!!!

Disappointed

There are some really good, hard working people at this company who don’t get recognized for their dedication. Then there are others who call off every week, spend their shift wandering around, gossiping, and they’re the employees who get recognition, praise, and unearned compensation.

Overworked due to short staffing

Patience needed to work with the lazy, young people. Most of the coworkers are very nice. Do not offer much of anything with benefits and scheduling is difficult

Terrible 😣 place to be employed!

I love customer service, but this store was terrible! From the employees to the customers, if your not in the so called kissing but club. Then this place is definitely not a good place to be employed!

The worst company to work for

The management is just like a high school clique. Good luck if they don't like you or you aren't "working" on the manager in the stock room if you get it. The store I used to work at went out of their way to make my life miserable and embarrass my family when I was made aware of a family member passing away on my birthday. I will repay them for the rest of my life time with as many awful reviews as possible. I hate this company and wish for it's demise... yesterday!

Pros

None at all

Cons

Literally everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Food. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Giant Food.
Powered byComparably