Giant Food Employee Reviews

Found 2,258 reviews matching the search See all 2,268 reviews
store rating
Cashier (Former Employee) –  District Heights, MDJuly 19, 2018
very nice and very respectful company and very great store and very smart employees , very great team work, very nice and caring people and very fast workers
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
bad customers
i would recommend working here to anybody.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MD 20814July 19, 2018
Giant is a fun fast paced workplace for people of all ages, races and sexes. I would love to go back to working at giant food. I did not want to leave. I had planned on being there long term.
Great learning experience
Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) –  District Heights, MDJuly 19, 2018
I am a hard worker. I do very well with technology. My customer service skills are very good. I am always committed to my job and I am positive person
Pros
Small discounts. Nice vacations
Cons
Short breaks, management
not a bad place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDJuly 18, 2018
fast paced work place, always busy with customers shopping, clean environment, management was good about scheduling employees, I don't really have any complaints
Cons
working with the public
Stay tuned
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDJuly 18, 2018
Giant has been through many changes since being purchased by Ahold. They still offer a good customer expereince in their stores, although they operate in a highly competitive market and do not set the standard they once did. Ahold's management / leadership has been fickle and inconsistent. Over the years, Giant has lost much of its local identity and appeal. There are apparently changes coming. Stay tuned to see how positive those changes are and what effect they have on results.
Stressful but Educational
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clifton, VA 20124July 18, 2018
I felt this job was good for me as a college student. It allowed me to enjoy my summer for the most part while I also learned how to manage money at registers and manage self checkout registers. The worst part was the constant standing.
I enjoy working with fellow employees and getting to know regular customers
CASH OFFICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 17, 2018
I feel every store has a family feeling about them making working with fellow employees fun and enjoyable. I enjoy getting to know the large variety customers from different cultures and creating a bond with the regular customers that come in on a regular basis. One of the hardest things is the changing in management.
Pros
become close with workers
Cons
training is not what it use to be
Love working there like family
Produce clerk/salad bar (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 17, 2018
Wish they paid a little more. I work there 6 days a week my hrs are all over the place I have open availability and loves a challenge.I have learned a lot here in the 3 yrs I have been here an would love to take what I have learned an build my career in produce.
Pros
Love the people i work with.
Cons
Low pay
Fast paced workplace
Deli/ Carry-out Cafe Associate (Former Employee) –  Montgomeryville, PAJuly 17, 2018
In the carry out cafe department my 6 hour shift always had me busy with little time to stand around. I truly enjoyed my manager that I had for the majority of my time working there, but they transferred my manager about a month before I quit. I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers, and I enjoyed cooking. The hardest part of the job was constantly having to pick up the slack of my other co-workers, making my shift stressful.
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
too busy to take breaks
Great place to shop
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Britain, PAJuly 17, 2018
This company offers so many different variety of items you need in your everyday life. They have really come a long way with the selection of things people need, which are easy to locate throughout the store, the specialty departments offer a wide variety of foods that suit anyone’s needs, and the company is excellent to work for.
Workplace
Confidential Admin,Chief Cashier (Former Employee) –  Buangkok CrescentJuly 17, 2018
The hardest part of the job is to maintain the audit score and to handle a lot of department. Enjoyable part of the job is Every year they have Parties for Festive( etc. Chinese New Year, Hari Raya,Christmas and more), Dinner and Dance every year and events going on like Family Day each year.
Management wise they helped each other and there is always a teamwork during the festive season.
Great Start
Customer Service clerk, Bagger, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 16, 2018
Giant is an easy place to work and a good place to start working. On a typical day, I cashier and bag, check candy dates, clean my area, and front the items in the soda fridges and the end caps. Honestly, I like working at giant
Fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAJuly 15, 2018
Giant is a fun place to work and can have very many benefits if your looking for something long term and sustainable. The owner of Giant (Ahold) is very successful and a strong solid company
It was a fun but challenging job which i took pride and did the best i could
Cashier/ customer service/office personnel (Former Employee) –  Patapsco ave and Glen BurnieJuly 15, 2018
I enjoyed working with Giant . I worked 32yrs.I started part time, took care of 2,children on part time hrs. I was very dependable. Enjoyed my Customers that I associated with for Years. I got along the best I could with the other staffs. Being in front end position it was hard for staffers to understand that I was there to do my job and having friendship was for after hours.
Pros
u worked, multi tasks and helped orher staffers or customers
Cons
short break, work late one nite til midnight and be back in early mkrning 6 or 7 am
Poor mangment
Assistant Bakery Manger (Current Employee) –  Southampton, PAJuly 13, 2018
They offer next to no training, and expect you to perform the duty as if you been doing it for years. Management doesn't help you with anything and don't give you support. If you are not part of the click in the store then you are going to go now where. The benefits use to be the high point of the job, but they changed it recently where you have to pay more for less coverage.
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
Everything else
great place to work. stress free.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 13, 2018
i really enjoy working at giant. im a cashier and cart pusher/porter sometimes. Also may work self scan. being a cashier is super easy and usually stress free. you just scan and bag. when not busy you clean or stand in front of the aisle and wait for people. its the best job! self scan is easy too you just monitor prople and help people at self checkout. make sure they dont steal. i dont like working carts or porter because its more physically demanding but still fairly easy. i started at 9.25 then 10.25 after 2 weeks i dont know why. i love that pay is every week. you can either pick up your check every thursday or have direct deposit. i love being a cashier! its stress free most of the time.
Pros
relaxed easy if cashier.
Cons
carts/porter.
Didn't like overnight
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJuly 12, 2018
I was an overnight stocker, I was already kind of staying up late at night so I decided to take an overnight job but that was a mistake for me. The other stockers just did drugs and didn't care about anything so the whole environment just wasn't good.
management
Night stacker (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 12, 2018
Fast pace good people and friendly, but not enough hours.
But great team work,people help each other when your behind.
But i cant live in part time hours,
Pros
team work
Cons
no breaks
Good place to work, clean and organized
Front End Associate (Former Employee) –  Perkasie, PAJuly 12, 2018
I liked to work there after school, it was nice that it was close by. I only worked there a few times a week but it was a pretty easy job. Wouldn't want to work there full time though.
Okay job, terrible corporation, doesn't pay well
Front End Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DE 19803July 11, 2018
Expects a lot out of employees, but does not compensate accordingly. Does not offer more pay for taking on more responsibility and doing more work unless you become a manager. The hours they give you are inconsistent. You could work 45 hours one week and then 27 hours the next.
Pros
health care
Cons
hours, rate of pay