GIANT/MARTIN'S Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 3, 2019
I liked working there. I just didn't like working with some of the managers. It's very clean, well organized and we'll kept. I just felt unhappy to work there.
fast paced
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairless Hills, PADecember 28, 2018
alot of walking and standing and lifting, customer service a must, engage with all people, presentation has to be 100% manager always there for you, hardest part of job is keeping up with the customer flow.
Pros
always busy
Cons
not alot of coverage
NEVER Any help when you need it
Front end (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PADecember 14, 2018
-NEVER enough help. and hard work is never recognized.
-Not team oriented anymore.
-Poor management and they never listen or remember anything you say to them.
-One man army.
-Literally someone on open availability will only get 16 hours a week because they put school kids that live with their families first.
-Checkout coaches are SO bossy acting like they have every right to scream at you and treat you like utter junk
-Went from 2 baggers per shift to 1... the carousel's were a HORRIBLE choice and reason for the company to say "we're losing money and need to get rid of a job".
-Beer Garden was another huge waste of money.
-Used to be a great business years ago.
-Business is going to rot in the ground soon.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
One many army, poor management, Bossy checkout coaches
Pretty great place to work
Deli Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Nazareth, PADecember 3, 2018
While working at Giant I collected a great team work ethic that i never knew I had. I also worked on my leadership skills. The customers would come by weekly and we the deli crew would make friendly conversation and even offer samples while would complete each order. Overall, Giant is a great place to work.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
N/a
Managment needs a makeover
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenixville, PADecember 2, 2018
Low moral and almost non-existant managers. Mostly high school or college students work front end expecting the job to be easy. Managment is never around when they are needed.
Pros
Mandatory lunch if working over a certain amount of hours
Cons
Low moral
Customer Service \ Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service/Prduce/Bakery (Current Employee) –  Exton, PANovember 29, 2018
Highly fast pace on a daily basis! Customer Service is my strength and I enjoy interacting with my many Customers the most! I also enjoy the life stories of the customers when they share! Management is overturn a lot! The many customer are diverse and still enjoy happy customer service and friendly service! The hardest part of the job is few baggers to assist the cashiers! There are many ways to inspire customers in the retail business! Independent living in my case I have developed and maintain social relationships, manage my household, financial and decision making more productional with my workplace with customer service!
It was alright. Not too bad, not too good.
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Broomall, PANovember 9, 2018
A typical day at work for me at Giant would vary quite a bit depending on what I was supposed to be doing that day. The management would want me on register some days and carts the next. Despite some beef I had with my supervisors and my manager, it wasn't bad at all. Thanks to working at Giant, I've gained confidence in myself, knowledge on how to perform in a retail position, and improved upon my social skills.
Productive and very relaxed work place.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Southampton, PANovember 3, 2018
Giant is a friendly store to do grocery shopping and for working. Everybody always has a smile on their face and is willing to help with any problem there may be. It’s very easy and comfortable to talk about your problems to a manager or any lead.
Pros
Candy for associates, many celebrations.
Cons
Lack of hours.
productive and controlled work place overall
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAOctober 19, 2018
A normal day at work would be busy as usual, very fun and you would never get bored and there will always be something to do because of how busy it got. Management wasn't always the best but they always helped out if we needed them. The hardest part of the job sometimes was keeping a steady flow while ringing up the customers.
Pros
relaxed lunch breaks
Cons
healthcare, stressful
Average job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleona, PAOctober 18, 2018
Not much to say about this job, everyone shows up, paychecks always arrive on time, can't complain. But nothing to get excited about either. I would say its a fine first job.
Pros
Easy, Paid Vacation time
Cons
Low pay, Boring, Demeaning, Hectic, Unorganized
Great workplace not enough hours
Lead Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAOctober 9, 2018
Is a team-based workplace it's hard to get working hours as a part-timer and even sometimes as a full-time and you can't get the schedule that you desire or comfortable with
Pros
Family friendly
Cons
Not enough hours
They lost taking care of there employees.
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport, PA 17074October 7, 2018
The first 4 years I was working for Giant it was a fun environment. Employees as well as myself loved the activities the company provided. Then six years later when share holders and CEO's came in, the company changed. Too many gimmicks came into play. Ahold forgot who there employees were and did not care. I love customer service but at times the demand was to high. Not taking breaks or able to go to the bathroom because you HAVE TO BE ALWAYS on hand for the customer. Working 8-1/2 hours 5 days a week and the whole time standing in one place. A half hour lunch break is not enough when you are constantly told to stand. Salaried managers put this expections on there employees. This is one of many reasons why I have chosen to leave this company.
Bad for part timers
Grocery Associate (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PASeptember 20, 2018
Worked here for my first job, would stock, organize shelves and create displays. I liked the job itself but sometimes there wouldn't be much to do so you walked around the store and organized here and there on repeat.

Managers didn't really care about you and would belittle you. The pay was pretty bad, just shy of minimum wage and most egregious issue I had were the work hours. I was hired on to work 16 a week but a couple months later started scheduling me for 12, a couple months after that 8 hours, and couple months after that they then scheduled me for a pathetic 4 hours a week. They also didn't even have employee discounts, just these employee raffles you could enter. Walmart would be a better place to work than here.
Pros
Cons
Cutting hours without explanation, pay, no discounts
I loved working 3rd shift for Giant
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Berks County, PASeptember 19, 2018
I worked for Giant for 11 years I loved my job and was very good at it. they forced the night managers to change from 10pm to 730 am to 2pm to 10pm and I felt very hurt and betrayed by that since I had been 3rd shift for 9 years and told them I wanted to stay 3rd shift it just worked for my life. I wanted to move back to Florida for a long time and the only thing holding me back was I loved my job but after this it felt easier to move back. I met some of the best people I will ever hope to meet in my life there, and I will always be grateful for those 11 years and all the experiences good and bad over that time. I hope the direction the company decided to go in brings them success.
Pros
fast paced, working with freight fixing up store after a hard day of sales
Cons
lack of concern for 3rd shift
i dont lik manament
Seafood Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2018
they work you to hard they don't no how to talk to people .the food is good . its a clean place to get your food I. if you are not full time they don't pay to good
Productive, clean, safe, friendly work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PAAugust 22, 2018
While I was enrolled in school at the same time working at GIANT/MARTIN'S I was able to develop and use the skills I've learned to better assist customers.
Chill and fast-paced work environment!
Cashier/Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Coplay, PAAugust 20, 2018
People are so friendly here and they try and satisfy the customer as best to their ability! Every time people walk in the door, every associate greets you with a warm smile!
Lack of Advancement
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 11, 2018
I wanted to become a grocery associate at GIANT/MARTIN'S since I felt I had more potential than wielding a mop. The management wouldn't let me because I was a such a good janitor that they said they needed people like me, however, I did not want to be a janitor so I am leaving.
easy, pretty much left alone, gets very busy, just do your job and all will be fine
Salad Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 6, 2018
go to work at 4pm, check salad bar, fill and clean up, start cutting fruit for the next day, cleaning of floors and sinks, that is all I have. Each dept. is ran different
Pros
easy
Cons
don't have any
Wouldnt Recomend
Associate (Former Employee) –  Jamison, PAJuly 3, 2018
The nightcrew is the worst. They expect you to work the job of like 5 men and they dont care if you get injured or not. Managment sucked and worst of all is they dont care about their workers.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
Poor Business