GIANT/MARTIN'S Employee Reviews

Great workplace not enough hours
Lead Driver/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Willow Grove, PAOctober 9, 2018
Is a team-based workplace it's hard to get working hours as a part-timer and even sometimes as a full-time and you can't get the schedule that you desire or comfortable with
Pros
Family friendly
Cons
Not enough hours
They lost taking care of there employees.
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport, PA 17074October 7, 2018
The first 4 years I was working for Giant it was a fun environment. Employees as well as myself loved the activities the company provided. Then six years later when share holders and CEO's came in, the company changed. Too many gimmicks came into play. Ahold forgot who there employees were and did not care. I love customer service but at times the demand was to high. Not taking breaks or able to go to the bathroom because you HAVE TO BE ALWAYS on hand for the customer. Working 8-1/2 hours 5 days a week and the whole time standing in one place. A half hour lunch break is not enough when you are constantly told to stand. Salaried managers put this expections on there employees. This is one of many reasons why I have chosen to leave this company.
Bad for part timers
Grocery Associate (Former Employee) –  Camp Hill, PASeptember 20, 2018
Worked here for my first job, would stock, organize shelves and create displays. I liked the job itself but sometimes there wouldn't be much to do so you walked around the store and organized here and there on repeat.

Managers didn't really care about you and would belittle you. The pay was pretty bad, just shy of minimum wage and most egregious issue I had were the work hours. I was hired on to work 16 a week but a couple months later started scheduling me for 12, a couple months after that 8 hours, and couple months after that they then scheduled me for a pathetic 4 hours a week. They also didn't even have employee discounts, just these employee raffles you could enter. Walmart would be a better place to work than here.
Pros
Cons
Cutting hours without explanation, pay, no discounts
I loved working 3rd shift for Giant
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Berks County, PASeptember 19, 2018
I worked for Giant for 11 years I loved my job and was very good at it. they forced the night managers to change from 10pm to 730 am to 2pm to 10pm and I felt very hurt and betrayed by that since I had been 3rd shift for 9 years and told them I wanted to stay 3rd shift it just worked for my life. I wanted to move back to Florida for a long time and the only thing holding me back was I loved my job but after this it felt easier to move back. I met some of the best people I will ever hope to meet in my life there, and I will always be grateful for those 11 years and all the experiences good and bad over that time. I hope the direction the company decided to go in brings them success.
Pros
fast paced, working with freight fixing up store after a hard day of sales
Cons
lack of concern for 3rd shift
i dont lik manament
Seafood Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2018
they work you to hard they don't no how to talk to people .the food is good . its a clean place to get your food I. if you are not full time they don't pay to good
Productive, clean, safe, friendly work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pottstown, PAAugust 22, 2018
While I was enrolled in school at the same time working at GIANT/MARTIN'S I was able to develop and use the skills I've learned to better assist customers.
Chill and fast-paced work environment!
Cashier/Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Coplay, PAAugust 20, 2018
People are so friendly here and they try and satisfy the customer as best to their ability! Every time people walk in the door, every associate greets you with a warm smile!
Lack of Advancement
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 11, 2018
I wanted to become a grocery associate at GIANT/MARTIN'S since I felt I had more potential than wielding a mop. The management wouldn't let me because I was a such a good janitor that they said they needed people like me, however, I did not want to be a janitor so I am leaving.
easy, pretty much left alone, gets very busy, just do your job and all will be fine
Salad Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  York, PAAugust 6, 2018
go to work at 4pm, check salad bar, fill and clean up, start cutting fruit for the next day, cleaning of floors and sinks, that is all I have. Each dept. is ran different
Pros
easy
Cons
don't have any
Wouldnt Recomend
Associate (Former Employee) –  Jamison, PAJuly 3, 2018
The nightcrew is the worst. They expect you to work the job of like 5 men and they dont care if you get injured or not. Managment sucked and worst of all is they dont care about their workers.
Pros
Nice pay
Cons
Poor Business
Ehh
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Dilworthtown, PAJuly 2, 2018
Where to begin? The guys in the department I worked in were really dedicated and gave a lot of insight on how to make work productive. That’s about as good as one can get. Management...they say one bad apple spoils the bunch, and management is proof of that. Store manager was great and helpful to both customers and employees. One manager that I won’t name had a tendency to come into the department and just complain about how we did our jobs. That combined with the hours getting lower and lower as I worked there, being left without work for 2 weeks without warning and being transferred to a different department without being informed, and that was enough for me to quit.
Pros
Cons
Stressful, erratic hours, lack of communication, management couldn’t manage
Giant
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Enola, PAJune 27, 2018
Not a bad place to work management is ok. They under scheduled staff a lot also due to call off's as well. Overall its a okay weekly paying job to work for.
garbage
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2018
in my honest opinion, they just wanted people who will work and not say anything when they feel they deserve advancement or wronged by the company. their motto is "a better place to work' its actully the worst place
Production
Associate (Current Employee) –  Stephens City, VAJune 22, 2018
We are very high paced and get things done smoothly. This company is a great company to work for. I like the atmosphere and everything throughout the whole store.
Okay place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  McConnellsburg, PAJune 12, 2018
Hours are always cut and wages are not enough. Management is terrible, and hours get cut as punishments. Favoritism is shown all the time, and receive unfair treatment from others including management.
Fun & busy place to work.
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAMay 30, 2018
I enjoy the work and co-workers and the management team works well with the employees. Most days are pretty busy and keep me active, I enjoy staying busy and working with people.
Pros
discounts throughout the year, associate appreciation days.
Cons
When a shift cannot be covered and we are short handed.
Good part time job for younger students
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAMay 30, 2018
Typical non degree based job/high school starting job with plenty of opportunities to work your way up the totem pole. Department manages vary, and are switched out every once in a while "being sent to different stores". Depending on the store and location, department and clientele it can be very fast paced and stressful job.
Pros
flexible work schedules
Cons
cut throat store managers and stressful environment on occaions
Retail
Assistant Bakery manager (Current Employee) –  Jamison, PAMay 30, 2018
I don't want to review this company. I have worked here for a long time due to my position as decorator I ha ave had to have surgery and now have a bad arm.
Fun place to work the first year
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PAMay 20, 2018
Great culture originally. Flexible with scheduling, management was cool. Work was fun. After 2 years I spent my first semester away at college, by the time I came back the culture of the store changed and it became a place I hated going to.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor culture
peapod selector
peapod selector (Former Employee) –  Coopersburg, PAMay 8, 2018
lots of walking on a concrete floor
15 minute break
work until all orders are filled
starting at $10.00 per hour
some do this as a second job
required to prep and clean up