Gift of Life Donor Program Employee Reviews

Never again
Transplant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 8, 2018
Sucked all of the life out of me. My home life, and family suffered from working here. Look elsewhere. You're only as good as the last case you've worked. Zero loyalty.
Not a very fun workplace , little to no positive energy, but in a nice area
Internship (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2018
I had fun working with my friend but that was the only think I looked forward to doing. Our supervisor didn’t pay us any attention accept for when she needed something
Pros
Break whenever we needed it, free snacks
Cons
Not too many happy people, no free lunch
Great Position
Youth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 12, 2017
Not really a proper job mainly because of the fact that the organization is a nonprofit. However the organizations mission was still a great one and they do a great job of following it.
Rewarding Mission, Terrible Management
Community Relations (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 4, 2016
This is one company that 100% changes the lives for thousands waiting for a life saving transplant. However, the staff making it all possible is under extreme pressure to perform around the clock without compensation to match.

The Community Relations department often is tasked at working events every night of the week, including weekends. Getting all of the work done within the office hours is impossible, and often times requires evening work or coming into the office on the weekends just to catch up after being at required events.

The management is beyond stale, and the culture has not changed since the last millennium. The turnover rate continues to prevent the organization to really grow as innovators in the world of organ donation. Invest in a team that can grow, and watch what happens.

This is a fantastic resume builder, but the compensation is sub-par, burn out rate is high and a career ladder is non-existent.
Pros
Great Mission, Wonderful Coworkers
Cons
Low pay, micromanagers, high turn over rate
Great starting job straight out of college to learn
In house transplant coordinator, CTBS Certified (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 13, 2016
Coming in as an entry level position, I was able to be promoted within 6 months. However, after that promotion there was no where to go. I feel as thought it was a great stepping stone into my career in the medical field. The hours/shifts were long and exhausting, and created an imbalance between your work life and personal life. The job itself however, was very rewarding and made you feel as though you were making a difference.
thinking on my feet
Import/Export Organ Transplant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia,PaSeptember 30, 2015
Very rewarding career, in terms of helping to save many lives, always being challenged to improve your work skills, and learning to train and work with hospital/staff all over the country(and sometimes out of the country). I got to work some of the most brilliant minds in the transplant community.
Pros
traveling the most of the country
Cons
unbalance work schedule
What I learned
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 11, 2015
This company helps give people a second chance at life through organ/tissue donations. This company takes a tragedy and turns it into a gift for someone else.
Extrememly rewarding
Tissue Recovery Specialist Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 20, 2015
Gift of Life was an amazing opportunity and experience. The hardest part of the job was dealing with life and death everyday. However, I wouldn't change my experience there for a second. I have seen and executed many things that most healthcare professionals will never do. Working with my department in a critical, high pressured field strengthened my resolve for helping the community and making a difference in healthcare.
Clinical Environment
In House Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 9, 2014
This is a great clinical environment that never stops working. With an average of about 62 calls per hour, we are in constant contact with physicians, surgeons, and multiple hospital staff 24 hours a day.
Run If You Are In HR
can't say (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2013
Management requires a massive amount of oversight which equals a highly uncomfortable level of micromanaging. Regardless of what is said in the interview, there is no room for advancement or opportunities to work on special projects.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, the organization does something incredible
Cons
Mismanaged departments, clueless senior management
Great
In House Transplant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 11, 2012
This company has an excellent training program and will teach you everything you need to know about organ and tissue donation. As one of the country's top 5 Organ Procurement Organizations it provides you the opportunity to work with some of the most renowned and skilled management in the country and even the world. Management is available and approachable to employees at all levels including programs such as monthly luncheons with the CEO. Many of the staff within the information center are young creating a fun atmosphere of peers and a family like atmosphere. For any person who seeks to impact others in a positive way this is a very rewarding career. You will gain excellent communication skills on both a technical level and in having extremely sensitive conversations with grieving families. On the downside they may become your family because you unable to spend time with your family. Standard work time for a two week period is aprox 87 hrs but do to clinical activity overtime is often necessary. While you are schedule for 12.5 hours per shift you often will end up committing 13-14 hours. Every other weekend of work is required, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and half of all holidays required as well. Working holidays does not give any additional time off.
Pros
excellent healthcare benefits, vision, dental, 403b, job security
Cons
long work hours, intensive schedule including weekends and holidays, quick turnover rate, understaffing, no breaks for a 12 hour shift
Organization
In-House Organ/Tissue Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 10, 2012
Very in depth detailed, opportunity to always be educated, the management has strength but could always be stronger. My co-workers can be dedicated to assistance or simply individual at times. Approaching families via phone to discuss opportunities for Organ & Tissue donation was the most difficult, enjoyed utilizing my compassion in allowing others to know that we care and are not just out to conduct buisness.
Pros
sense of accomphlisment
Cons
under appreciated