Gila River Health Care Employee Reviews

Board of directors needs to oversee management better
Management (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZApril 20, 2018
CEO allows and promotes unfair labor tactics in different facilities throughout the corporation. Employees are not allowed to truly dispute unrealistic discipline from their superiors. Requardless of their years of dedication and honesty and hard work.
Comments are made behind closed doors that community members are uneducated and feel entitled and nothing is done about it when the truth is brought to the forefront. Not everyone just wants to get even for mistreatment. Gila River is an amazing community and lead by a great council. The health care corporation should not be allowed to continue operating without stronger oversight by council leaders.
Pros
Excellent benifits
Cons
Grhc leadership
GRHC is a customer service focused organization
RN Director Out Patient Services (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, ArizonaApril 13, 2018
GRHC is unique in that it is truly customer service focused. That is the bottom line.It is an amazing environment for a healthcare professional. The work week really is 40 hours, they do not expect you to work late/evenings. Patient care volume is low: expectation is to see 2 patients per hour. Staffing is abundant, each provider has 1 MA. 1 RN supports about 5 providers. This makes for a less stressful environment than most out patient settings.
Our goal was simply to provide exceptional service to our patients in the manner they desired. As a provider to the Gila River Indian Community we provided culturally competent care.
GRHC is a very collaborative and supportive organization.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
job sescurity
Great Co-Workers But No Recogniton from Management for Your Work
Clinical Liaison (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMarch 1, 2018
The clients are great to work with and the job itself offers great learning experiences due to the clients you get to work with. Management especially in the behavioral health department is another story. All they care about are the numbers and whether you achieved your productivity for the month. There is no recognition from management for your good work. All you receive on a daily basis is criticism and your need to complete one task or another. Very high burn out rate! Case managers are treated very poorly despite doing the majority of the work. The HR department is a joke and the pay is not comparable to the amount of education, licenses and experience that you have.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Upper management, low pay, work volume
great
Pharmacy Billing/Charge Data Entry (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 21, 2018
greta place to work. allows you to be able to gain experience. great benefits, great co workers, the bathrooms are not that great but everything else is okay.
a typical day
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJanuary 26, 2018
on a typical day in outpatient department was the basic experience of gathering information such as vitals, learning electronic health records, give injections, etc.
in the years had the privilege to work with outside clinics who offered medical services such as Rheumatology, ENT, Ortho & different clinics.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
don't recall at the moment
Workplace
Office Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bapchule, AZJanuary 25, 2018
My place of work was good. We all got along quite well. There was no advancement in my position. I was seeking something more. This is why I enrolled at the University of Phoenix to better myself.
Pros
Great hours and days off
Cons
Holiday pay
Native American culture
ER-tech (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJanuary 22, 2018
Working on the Indian reservation has a different culture, the small ER has some amazing Doctor and Nurses. since it is a small place you get to know the patient's families along with the culture.
Pros
great health insurance
Cons
native's must except you
Great benefits!
RN (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJanuary 18, 2018
Great coworkers, great benefits, great training and learning opportunities.
Loved learning about the Native American Culture.
Hardest part of the job was not knowing when your supervisor would be replaced.
Enjoyed working with patients.
Pros
Lots of changes in management...constantly new executives and directors.
Cons
Lots of free educational training
Great Benefits
Behavioral Health Services, Training Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJanuary 10, 2018
Insurance and benefits are excellent. Best coverage I have ever had, company pays a majority of the cost. Very affordable, especially if employee has a family.
Pros
Flexibility, relaxed environment
Cons
rural area, non-competitive pay in comparison to nearby citites
Toxic and abusive environment for case managers in behavioral health
Case manager, behavioral health (Current Employee) –  Sacaton azDecember 9, 2017
Unreasonable caseloads, unreasonable expectations, uncaring management/administration. . The numbers are the most important thing. The clients and case managers are at the bottom. Case managers are treated like slaves instead of professionals. Harrassment and bullying by management is the norm and allowed to flourish. It’s a challenge to stay healthy in such a toxic environment.
Pros
Nice coworkers, the clients are good to work with
Cons
Harassment, bullying, overworked, micromanagement
Behind the times
Director (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZNovember 29, 2017
I loved working for Gila River Healthcare and would recommend it to anyone looking to start or advance their careers; however, their policies and handling of employment matters is behind the times. It's a brand new world out there, GRHC, catch up.

Like most companies, GRHC is trying to operate lean but to their own detriment- turnover is incredibly high and employee complaints are petty/unnecessary (a product of hiring people ill-equipped to handle difficult situations). Changes were starting to happen when I left but there is much work to be done here. Example: Placing too much focus on covering tattoos is a waste of time (again, new world out there) and distracts from more important issues such as a dwindling budget for a multi-million dollar project that ultimately went belly up, leaving an empty building guarded by security officers (so much for operating lean).

All in all, great company to work for but they have much room for improvements. I loved the people who I worked with and would go back promptly if an appropriate position opened up.
Pros
Compensation packages are phenomenal; work environment is improving
Cons
Policies need to be in line with societal norms and not so 'big brother' in nature
Cut throat
Orthopedic Technician, Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZNovember 22, 2017
Constant turnover, unhappy employees, terrible management, Constantly understaffed, Do not enforce the rules equally, We lose good quality employees because nothing is ever done to the bad ones. All they care about here is having warm bodies in positions they not even qualified for, Terrible place to be stuck
Do not work for this corporation!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZOctober 10, 2017
Management is brutal and abusive. Lots of micromanagement and condemnation towards staff, who put in long, stressful hours working for a population with many severe issues and a tribal government that does not support behavioral health on their reservation.
benefits
Cons
need to use medical and psychological benefits to work there
thankful for the learning experience
IRC Director/Billing & Coding Manager/Coder (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZSeptember 20, 2017
feel thankful for knowledge and experience, excellent team and felt great to have driven workers...........................................................
Great Place
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZSeptember 18, 2017
I love and respect the Gila River community and the people. I enjoyed the atmosphere and serving the people. I was able to do learn many new skills and put that in service for the people of Gila River.
please reconsider and look elsewhere
support staff (Current Employee) –  primary careSeptember 16, 2017
This company focuses on their community instead of their employees. they need to understand we are here to help the community not compete against it. If you are not native this company will not work for you. Their employment process focuses on your ethnicity, since they loose points by hiring non native staff. Their is no management you can go to with any issues going on they wont help you and they wont do anything about it. Even HR will not have your back on any wrong doing that goes on in the clinical setting.
benefits
Cons
Discrimination
Excellent Place to Work!
Office Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laveen, AZAugust 5, 2017
I have been working at Gila River Health Care for about 5 months. Staff are friendly and very professional, the management team is there when you need them to answer questions and guide with day to day functions. I would recommend them to friends and family.
Unappreciated
CURRENT MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  MAIN LOBBYJuly 25, 2017
It's a joke. A lot of favoritism from RN's to certain MA's. You try to go to supervisors with your complaints and they get brushed under the rug. Immature/rude Rn's who fraternized with MA's outside the workplace and give them special treatment. It's very disconcerting to watch some work hard while others get to sit around and do nothing. Rn's try to micromanage the hard workers and leave the favorites to go and do what ever they want. The favorites are causing a hostile work environment and the "not favorites" to look for other means of employment. If you want to get treated equally, you need to wait until upper management gets a clue to what some RN's are doing and deal with the situation. I use to love working here, enjoy the patients, but one thinks maybe I should be hitting the want ads myself. A plea to upper management "Please open your eyes, before you lose good hard workers"!
Pros
working with other hard workers, benefits
Cons
RN's who have NO clue how to manage
poor management, no respect, and very stressful workplace
Medical Assistant Primary Care Department (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJuly 19, 2017
fast turn around for all staff. so many R.Ns, M.As, Managers, directors, Doctors, P.As have left this place because of management issues. I stay only because of the benefits and because of the patients. The pay is a joke, i can go work as a fast food supervisor and make more than they pay here. The department is so unorganized. There is so much favoritism going on between the R.Ns and certain M.As in this department, those certain M.As get treated with respect and others don't get that respect. When concerns in the department are voiced to management nothing is resolved, we are talked down to, and we are told oh well suck it up and get used to the way things are around here. There are R.Ns who associate outside of work with M.As, and those M.As are able to get away with whatever they want. These M.As are able to leave the facility to go get breakfast, snacks, drinks, etc while on the clock as long as they buy for the R.N that is allowing this. These M.As are at times extra in clinic doing whatever they please and not on the schedule as extra staff. Management are aware of all of this and allow it. There is so much gossip i feel as if we are all in high school and there are groups that stick together back stabbing each other and starting drama in the facility. They have forgot we are there for patient care! There is no communication. If you plan to apply only because of the great benefits, plan to only get paid $12 an hour!
Pros
benefits and patient care
Cons
Pay is a joke, rude, management favoritism, disrespectful
Constant Turnover
Director, Contracts and Grants (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJuly 19, 2017
There is constant turnover for no discernible reason. As a former CEO indicated, the work environment is toxic. Board members are not healthcare professionals. Good people are hired only to be let go. One director was hired and fired within 30 days. One CNO left and fired off a scathing midnight email to every member of management. I worked there 2 yrs and we had 3 CEOs.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
constant management turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gila River Health Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Gila River Health Care Reviews by Location