Gilbane Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Challenging work environment.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 9, 2018
Challenging work environment. Co-workers were exceptional in talent, professional skills, ethical and extremely dedicated to the mission of completing quality building projects on-time and on-budget, and always to exceed the owners expectations.
Pros
Exciting projects.
Cons
Long hours at times.
great organization
Project Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 21, 2018
Company turns work and family life into a enjoyable balance by making all their employees feel the value of family and team work that roots the development of structure into daily life and most well developed environments.
Directed consulting practice in non-traditional line of business
Director of Transition Project Management (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2018
The company has a strong culture and a long history in the commercial construction industry. The consulting division that I started served to both generate profits and resonate as a marketing differentiator for the sales teams.

The clients that we provided transition planning services for were located throughout the US which meant I had to travel the majority of my time.
Pros
If you produce and maintain good client relations you enjoy relative freedom
Great Teamwork on a multifaceted project..
Site Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2018
Thank you Gilbane and Chicago team for the opportunity of a lifetime! Gilbane set the standards that many of my potential employers/partners are looking match..
Pros
Great support, respect and teamwork..
Management Needs Help
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 31, 2018
Don't confuse kindness with weakness. Poker faces to get you through the door. Training, there isn't any. Management needs to learn the skills first before trying to manager others.
Benefits
Cons
No Work Life Balance
Typical day at work
Sr Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 15, 2018
Lots of interaction with employees and different vendors throughout the day for solving problems. Always new projects going on, more opportunity to learn new things.
Poor Mangement
Pre-Qualification / Contract /Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 28, 2018
Management in my department particularly terrible.
Each day is a fire fighting panic.
I tried to offer ideas and solutions to problems but was not listened to.
Computer Life
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 24, 2018
The only tools required for this job are a laptop and cellphone. If sitting behind a screen for the majority of the day interest you, this job would is the right one for you. But, if like me, you need to be moving and wearing a tool belt, this side of Construction isn't for you.

The company and employees are amazing people with great goals to achieve the fulfillment of the company. Before working, make sure values you want out of job meet the values you'll receive sitting all day.
Very difficult life to live on the road all the time overseeing projects in numerous New England states.
General Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 16, 2018
A usual day at work meant you opened the site at 5:30am, had all
persons (including subcontractors) sign in at the beginning of the day and signed out at the end of every day.
Typical work day was from 5:30 am to 6:00 pm.
At all levels, management was very supportive and pro active.
We always had a good project team. Very important in order to have a successful project and happy client.
I loved working with owners reps and designers. Coming up with solutions to hurdles we encounter on construction projects.
I was very proud to receive the Thomas and William Gilbane Award for the Corporate Safety Person of the year for the New England
Region.
Pros
I worked with a lot of very smart and interesting people.
Cons
Due to the financial crash in 2008, I was laid off due to lack of projects.
ENVIRONMENTAL SUPERINTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 22, 2018
Challenging work, Far to much travel involved.
Very safety oriented when it comes to field operations.
Very little opportunity for professional advancement within the company.
Pros
Well Paid
Cons
To much travel

Want to know more about Gilbane?

Ask a question
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 25, 2018
During my internship I learned a lot about the construction side of commercial development. But with this internship it lacked structure and I did not really have a clear job task when it came to day to day duties.
Office Clerk, Assistant-Human Resources Dept (Former Employee) –  Providance, RIJanuary 25, 2018
I like my co-workers and the job that I am doing at Gilbane. the staff at Gilbane are very friendly and understanding. I would Recommend this job people.
Fast paced exhilarating work environment
Proposal /Print Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 12, 2018
Awesome company to work for unfortunately the bottom fell out of Federal Military Construction projects and the company had to let go of a lot of staff.
Pros
Awesome people
Gilbane Federal, the subsidiary, is NOT Gilbane quality
UXO Technician (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 25, 2017
At Gilbane Federal, even though you are a full-time employee, you are not eligible for the benefits packages available to Gilbane. There are no health insurance or 401k opportunities, rather a federal fringe amount. After scheduling a corporate meeting to voice concerns and several years with the company, we were given a $20 giftcard as a "thank you." Federal per diem is handled through expense reports on an ever-changing inconsistent schedule. Gilbane Federal refuses to acknowledge that this effects their employees enough to remedy the situation.
Pros
Earned PTO
Cons
lack of benefits, expense reporting, no proper management
work environment
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 20, 2017
The work environment at Gilbane is highly competitive due the construction culture. Everyone works very hard but they are very encouraging and communication is one of the best aspects. The communication in the moment of any given project is exceptional. The reward of hard work for this job was constantly recognized and expected.
Love it here
IT Intern (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 18, 2017
The environment here is amazing. The employees are nice and willing to work with me. My manager is nice and knows what he is talking about. It is a medium pace environment. Sometimes its a busy day but other times, its a slow day.
Pros
Holiday party, food being provided, engaging conversation with employees
Cons
Project Manager 1 (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX / MexicoDecember 7, 2017
Gilbane is a very good company as a whole. In my experience the issue is that I haven't gotten the attention some others do which has not helped in my career advancement. What I mean by this is that depends on the manager or direct supervisor you are working for. The company has move me around a lot and its hard to get settle with a family.
Pros
Good Environment
Cons
Moving a lot.
Run of the mill
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 22, 2017
General office environment. Both work load and expectations were manageable. Working in downtown Providence creates incredible lunch possibilities..
Adventure everywhere
Facility Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 5, 2017
Gilbane is an awesome place to work if you don't mind traveling. If you choose this as a career you will have to relocate every three to five years and that is a problem for some.
I give this place a thumbs up because of the pay and other compensation.
Pros
Pay, compensation, travel
Cons
Project changes every 3 to 5 years
Great Place to work
Construction Intern (Current Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTNovember 1, 2017
A typical work day can either be the same as the one before or different every day. Everyone is helpful and willing to teach you. Gilbane really takes their GilbaneCares approach to every aspect of their business and it shows.
Pros
occasional free food in the office
Cons
can work long days some times