Gilbane Employee Reviews

Sucess
PROJECT INTERN (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 14, 2019
A good career to succeed you and your path in construction. Very knowledgeable as they can give you what ever you want to learn. Be ready to work long hours.
Productive workplace culture
Project Manager - Construction (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 27, 2018
The workplace culture was impeccable. There wasn't a day that went by that people never engaged in conversation nor entered into respectful dialogue and conversation.
Pros
Wonderful and respectful team of workers
Cons
Short breaks
dont remember much
Assistant Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Landover, MDDecember 11, 2018
it was a job to fill time after I had left Hardin-Kight the first time not a place where I would want to spend a life time good company but the type of work was not for me
Co-op
CO-OP Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 9, 2018
great company for my internship, allowed me to grow and to understand the industry I was training for. I would recommend for future students looking fir internships.
Jobsite Experience
Project Construction Admin (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2018
A typical work day at Gilbane was very competitive and different. Construction days were a different learning experience everyday. Dealing with different contractors and subcontractor made the day a learning experience. The work place culture was very diversified. The element of the job was challenging and energetic. The most enjoyable part of the job was that everyone worked as a team.
Pros
Fair and challenging.
Lousy Benefits
UXO Technician I (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 5, 2018
Gilbane refuses to offer any sort of benefits or 401(k) to their contract employees. Management keeps stalling and balking at holding a serious discussion with concerned workers.
Productive fun place to work
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2018
Great people Managers foreman’s and superintendents listen and are understanding well mannered, Good people to be around and once you’re in you are in in less you fire yourself!!!
Pros
Great people and we’re always laughing and working
Cons
N/a
Not interested in Old People
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Saudi ArabiaSeptember 24, 2018
A very confusing work environment and lots of turn over. War torn specialists but, not loyal to American workers. They used mostly foreigners and cast out old people.
Pros
Great Firm
Cons
Don't like old people, only cheap workers.
Project Management creates a stressful environment
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 18, 2018
Through my years working for Gilbane, my most recent has created more stress then ever. Management/Supervisors promote a culture of overload on working hours that are unnecessary. The environment is uptight and stressful.
No training, tyrant supervisor
Project Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 17, 2018
Busy office, no team work, bad situations. Unruly office behaviors, requested to do janitorial work, sexist supervisor, actually was afraid to ask questions.
I learned a lot regarding construction while at Gilbert
Project Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2018
While working at gilbane I had the opportunity to build two new buildings at the College of DuPage. Since I had just graduated from the College of DuPage in 2007 it was a very exciting opportunity to see the buildings go up from start to finish and be a part of that.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Due to the construction industry failing in 2009 I was laid off
Reveiw
Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 8, 2018
Gilbane is a great company to work for, great benefits and really good people. Its always interesting to see the new projects that the teams take on and Gilbanes involvement with communities around the the city.
Supportive, career centric environment with path to promotion
Project Manager I (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 6, 2018
The people of Gilbane truly follow the company's mission statement, and reward personnel for exhibiting behaviors in line with that doctrine to positively reinforce the culture of providing ethical, safety oriented execution of client objectives within budget and schedule parameters. They have a mandatory learning requirement each year, and have outlined both the internal education requirements and on site experience each person should have to be promoted. They Senior PMs, Direct Managers, and Project Executives all help streamline your experience and tasks in accordance with your stated work goals so you don't stagnate. You are always leaning, always improving, and every person's suggestions for improving the ways they efficiently and effectively do business are welcome. Overall it's an awesome family oriented company and they have very little turnover assuming the area/region has further work when your project ends, and even then relocation is always an option. Many people have 20+ years under their belts, which isn't always possible in the construction industry, it shows a definite desire and policy of retaining talent and promotion from within.
Pros
Safety equipment and gym reimbursement, excellent insurance
Cons
Layoffs if you are in a slow region unless willing to relocate
I loved Gilbane
Sr Project Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2018
Awesome company and people. A great place to work. I hope to go back and retire from there someday. Nothing but class at Gilbane you cant go wrong working there.
Employee Loyalty
Project Controls (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 16, 2018
Especially in the Federal Group, there is a lack of employee-employer loyalty with the new management team. My position was eliminated even though I had 20+ years of experience. They kept an employee that had no experience at all. They refused to recognize that another employee didn't want the new part of the position and he left the firm.
Pros
Immediate supervisors and team members were exceptional.
Cons
Kept employees with no experience and eliminated positions of others with more experience.
Superintendent II (Current Employee) –  Southwest TXAugust 9, 2018
When I started here with Gilbane I was new to the construction and Safety. Here I learned a lot about Safety. I did the best I could and in A year or two I won my first safety award.
Has it's pros and cons
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 7, 2018
Gilbane as a whole provides great benefits and fair salary compensation. They also have nice other perks like reimbursing for gym membership/equipment and insurance rate discounts for wellness testing. The federal division (where I worked) has some real hardships. Upper management has changed hands a few times. The project executives do not provide much support and there is no consistency or structure. The pro is you have free reign to manage a job however you wish. The con is if you make a wrong move, prepare to be hammered. Overall, I learned a lot over my years at Gilbane. The work was easy but the politics was getting harder and harder each year. Give them a try and in 2 years when the honeymoon phase ends, re-evaluate. Many of the federal contractors act in similar manner so it's really about finding a work environment/culture you enjoy.
Benefits
Cons
Management/Changes
Challenging work environment.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 9, 2018
Challenging work environment. Co-workers were exceptional in talent, professional skills, ethical and extremely dedicated to the mission of completing quality building projects on-time and on-budget, and always to exceed the owners expectations.
Pros
Exciting projects.
Cons
Long hours at times.
great organization
Project Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 21, 2018
Company turns work and family life into a enjoyable balance by making all their employees feel the value of family and team work that roots the development of structure into daily life and most well developed environments.
Directed consulting practice in non-traditional line of business
Director of Transition Project Management (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2018
The company has a strong culture and a long history in the commercial construction industry. The consulting division that I started served to both generate profits and resonate as a marketing differentiator for the sales teams.

The clients that we provided transition planning services for were located throughout the US which meant I had to travel the majority of my time.
Pros
If you produce and maintain good client relations you enjoy relative freedom

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gilbane. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

4.0Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight