Gilster-Mary Lee
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

Gilster-Mary Lee Employee Reviews

Gilster-Mary Lee insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction

Decent place to start you’re truck driving career.

They gave me an opportunity that I took advantage of. I worked hard for them and made good money, good place to start your career off. I got very good experience there that I used for advancement elsewhere. A great starter company.

Pros

We used to get a lot of damaged product, which was awesome for a young growing family.

Cons

On the road alot

Family owned company overall inclusive

The company is family owned and it feels like family. The pay is low, but the benefits for employees are great. Work environment can be hot, but you get used to it.

Pros

Company store and family environment

Cons

Low wages

Awesome place to work

Great place to work. I love it. They will always work with you no matter what. The best trucking compnay I've ever worked with so far. I just home daily jobs and I will always want to go back

Plenty of hours

You always can work overtime if you need it. The pay is pretty terrible especially if you don’t become operator. Luckily the plant I was at you become operator no matter what. Still very low pay even with operator pay. Management is terrible and does not care if you advance in the company.

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Lots of hours, low pay, terrible management

Excellent place to work at. People are always welcome to come in and fill out an application

It's a great place to understand how the manufacturing industry has for a person. GML is always ready for new employees and advancement there is always a plus. We have plants located in Illinois, Missouri, Indiana and Arkansas I do believe. Check out our website for more information and details about all of our plants.

Pros

Paid vacations

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work and it pays pretty good most people there are nice. I liked to be in recieving there and staging wasn't to bad most of the leads there were friendly and they foreman's were easy to get along with

I wouldn't recommend it unless you need a job quick

The work environment is toxic, they don't care about their workers. You are just shoes to fill for an order. I feel the workers are underpaid. It gets way too hot in the summer they don't have AC. If you need a job quick they will hire absolutely anyone. They make you work alot of mandatory overtime.

Pros

Health insurance, get hired quick

Cons

Awful work environment, very toxic and stressful

8 hour shifts

Great people to work with. Pay and benefits are not very good. You can advance in the company quickly. Flexibility as needed. Overall, not a bad place to work but would be alot better if the pay and benefits were there.

Pros

8 hr shifts

Cons

Benefits and pay

Horrible place

Often left work completely wiped out, carried stress home, stupidly hot. They don't care about mental wellness, they only care about the numbers, not you as a person. The management gossips as much as any other line worker or high school student. Regardless of health conditions they expect unobtainable results from old broken machinery. They don't push the mechanics to do their jobs making it near impossible to keep a line running. Find a better local area manufacturing job.

Pros

Employment

Cons

Heat, poor health insurance, the people, the management

Drugs and low pay

There are drugs running rampant throughout the plant and people using them in bathrooms..... The pay is so low that one would have to work 80 hrs a week to get ahead

Pros

If you like drugs they are readily available

Cons

If you don't like drugs they are STILL readily available

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gilster-Mary Lee?

Was good work environment but they let the wrong people work in some areas

Everything was going well but they are letting the wrong people work in some area. Overall though it was a good experience. The pay is a decent part in why I’m searching for a new job the pay is just not very good when trying to get life started and get a house or car.

Ridiculous place to work.

Dont apply the place sucks. Good benefits though. I would never go back. They do have two 10 minute breaks that take ten minutes to get outside. The 30 min lunch is the same.

Pros

30 min lunch

Some of the office people are great

I worked there at Perryville cereal plant for many years and they made me fill like i did not mean anything to that company and my boss in clean was not a good person at all both of them had their picks and the got to work where ever they wanted but my friend and i did not get to work together at all they are 2 face there it was to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter they did not care if people pasted out or threw up from being to hot they just wanted them lines to run run run i hated most of the managers there they was very rude to people

Pros

I don’t recommend working there

Cons

Ok pay

Trash place

Management was terrible and had alot of issues with harassment it was the equivalent to being in a version of green mile but instead of a electric chair you needed to worry about forklift or getting shanked

Pros

Cons

Having to wake up and go there everyday for bad pay and bad management

Super hot in there! Nothing good to say

They will hire ANYONE. The building is beyond hot. No A/C. 12 hour shift. Hard work. Some people do absolutely nothing. I guess you could say they aren't trying to fire you much. Crazy.

Pros

Free cereal

Cons

Long shift. Benefits iffy

Forklift Operator

No room to move up in positions. No good in stocks. Life insurance will cripple u. And no 41k.the lack of care is gone. So for anyone just wanting a places to play is perfect.

Easy

Easy place to work ppacking labeling pretty good health insurance with frequent breaks management is good value there employees and will always help you with time off.

Pros

Paid breaks easy

Cons

Work culture can be bad at times

Not much good but a lot of bad.

Coming into Gilsters was an experience from working fast food and it was highly educating. As time went on things started to go down the drain, the drama and the management were less then pair and unfair. The constant hours and lack of understanding of one's limitations were not met. Because of said job I have lost a lot of the natural physical abilities due to the hard labor. They were slightly understanding when I needed to be hospitalized for 2 weeks but because of COVID I was terminated. Between the strict absent requirement and management it became nearly impossible to continue working for this company.

Pros

A job

Cons

Management, strictness, lack of understanding, physical demand, hours/days, drama, language barrior, unfairness

One of the Sketchiest Places I've Worked At

Working for GML I found that the work itself is by no means difficult. The task of dumping 50-100lbs bags of ingredients, while being a bit of a workout, wasn't really a challenge. Measuring ingredients wasn't a challenge, and neither was cleaning the machines or operating them. The most stressful portion of the actual labor is having to do all of that accurately during a short time frame to meet the demand of the lower floors. That is, however, not the most stressful part of the job overall. While working here I watched as people were exploited left and right. I watched as people reported unsafe work conditions and they were punished for it by management through the use of issuing more and more orders to their mixers and demeaning the workers. I watched supervisors insult and belittle those that made their jobs even the slightest bit difficult. I watched blatant racism and hate be swept aside by management, simply due to favoritism. I watched good men get seriously injured on the job, only to be tossed aside by the company as soon as they'd report it. On that topic, by the way, I've seen the management here (from the floor supervisor and up) threaten employees for requesting workman's compensation due to workplace injury. I watched as a worker's movement for better working conditions within the company was rapidly quashed by those from above in the company as they threatened everyone in the plants by letting them know that they're all replaceable. Overall this is a workplace to avoid at all costs.

Pros

Company store to buy their products at discounted prices.

Cons

Issues in workplace not taken seriously, unsafe working conditions, incredibly anti-union, rampant racism in areas, and poor/ demeaning management.

12 hour shifts with a lot of days off

It is entirely too hot in this building, the heat isost of the time unbearable and all you can do to escape it is stand in front of a fan whenever you have the time to do so

Pros

Decent pay, days off

Cons

Way too hot, they expect too much of you

production worker

● OverallTerrible place to work. No background checks. Mostly convicted felons. Stuff gets stolen if you do not secure it. Not a place of long time employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gilster-Mary Lee. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight