Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington

Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington Employee Reviews

United States16 reviews
I loved my time at GSOSW! The culture is positive and engaged and they really appreciated everyone's hard work. There were weekly staff meetings in which all office locations would call in so we could all discuss things together. Kudos shared at staff meetings which honored individuals for their work. Some staff meetings at camp! Lots of opportunities to get engaged in the local community and have fun. My manager was bad and micro managed us to the point of inefficiency, but has since moved on from the organization.
Pros
Great colleagues, camp, fun activities
Cons
Micromanagement, lack of trust
This was the most demanding and most rewarding job I have had. I did not know that I would be any good at it, but I gained a lot of self confidence through it. As a unit counselor you lead and supervise a group of kids throughout their activities at camp. Since you sleep in the unit, you remain "on call" and are responsible for them excepting 2 hours of break time a day. Success is heavily dependent on the attitude and effort you're able/willing to give.
This was also the only job where I have made friends, since maintaining good rapport with the staff is necessary in such a social environment. My fellow counselors and ad staff were very supportive of me as a new staff member and stepped in wherever their help was needed.

The main disadvantages are in life balance/benefits. Pay for new staff is low, though housing and food is provided during the contract. During camp, you are also very disconnected to the outside world, as devices have little service and may not be used near campers.

Giving children a great experience at camp was the mission, and I felt highly responsible for it. When it's achieved, the staff are proud of themselves and one another. That, along with the fact GSOSW reliably rehires, is why I plan on returning for summers to come.
Pros
Free housing and food, great staff culture, job security/rehiring, positive community
Cons
Demanding schedule, physically taxing, full commitment
Non-profit work always presents challenges when it comes to work load (too much) and compensation (too little) so I cannot say that experience is unique to Girl Scouts of Oregon and SW Washington. I can say that the leadership team has made efforts to listen to staff about raises and pay grades and the work culture tries to balance other forms of benefits like flexible scheduling, participation in fun GS events (camp visits), and an overall embrace of Girl Scout like values.

This is not a good place to work if you want guidance and support to learn new skills, this is a place for go-getters to figure out what resources are available and make things happen. Departments vary widely.
Leadership is invested in meetings the staffs needs. The put effort into having a comfortable work environment both physically and emotionally. They are invested in growth as individuals and an as an organization.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
We do great things to empower our girls and prepare them to face a future that they have a hand in creating, that hasn't always been the case throughout history. We endeavor to teach all girls everywhere that the past has influenced the present but allows for growth, understanding and change for the future. The future is theirs and they should own it!
Girl Scouts builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington serves more than 23,000 girls and adult members each year.
It is so wonderful working for an organization with a mission I so wholeheartedly support. But, it's a non profit, so the pay is never going to be what you're worth.
Some of the things to keep in mind when applying for a job at Girl Scouts is that each department has it's own experience as far as employee trust, micromanagement and employee expectations. Some supervisors empower their employees to get their work done in the best way possible and others hold quite tight control over how things are done and even how information is delivered to there team. Your work experience might be different depending on which department you look at.
Pay is ok though their has been a lot of effort to improve things over the last few years however if you are applying for an entry level position in the organization don't expect to move up in the organization. This organization is an excellent stepping stone for other companies, year one you will be learning the job, year two start adding your own input and year three things will become an expert on things and it will likely be time for you to look at moving on to gain more job experience. Things you will take away from working at Girl Scouts is great work experience, make some good friends and a chance to make an impact in the community.

The work at Girl Scouts is hard work. Many director and c suite level staff are overworked and turnover can be consistent in some departments which impacts the entire organization. While most who work here don't shy away from work sometimes the work/life balance is pushed aside because the work being done is so critical.

Their are many benefits to working for Girl Scouts as well- we have a very generous PTO/sick leave policy and depending on your department their can
 - more...
Girl Scouts offers interesting work, making a difference in the community. As an employer, we have great benefits and offer work life balance to all staff. Our staff are committed to the mission of our organization to build girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place!
A great organization to feel as if you're truly making a difference. Good opportunities for permanent and seasonal staff. Great seasonal jobs for college students!
Girl Scouts of Oregon and SW Washington is a wonderful place to work for me, with flexibility, great benefits, inspiring volunteers and a caring supervisor.
It is odd to work for an organization that teaches leadership that has some of the worst leaders I've ever experienced. They don't deserve the title. If it weren't for a few dedicated staffers I think it would lose to its competitors. It may anyway if the current management doesn't wake up and listen to the staff and members.
If you want to make a difference in the world, Girl Scouts is the place for you. The hardest part of the job is work-home balance, the best part the impact of your work on girls and their communities.
Our Mission: building girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place!

Smiles and laughter!

Sense of job security

Open communication
A typical day at work is fun, lively and exciting. The most enjoyable part of the job is walking with campers and you get a lot of exercise on top of activities. The culture is vibrate because you get a lot of cheerful girls. I learned that I am a big kid at heart.
Pros
The activities and camping
Cons
no flusing toilet
It's an exempt job, therefore hours are flexible. But since it is a non profit organization oriented toward women, they are flexible with your own schedule, and life happenings, too.

In this position one has to grow the number of girl and adult latina membership by doing strong community outreach and cultivation. Your ability to be flexible and adapt to change in pace of work and quality of environment is required to succeed. The capacity to identify key members of the community that will cooperate with the organization for which you work, and cultivate their support and sponsorship, will be essential in giving the program a solid foundation from where it can expand.

This program's manager is a true inspiration, both as a leader and as a woman. You will learn a lot from her, and at the mean time you will be given your own place to be creative and apply your skills.

Co-workers are women who understand the importance of empowering youn girls and adults by showing them the tools needed to have a succesful leadership experience.

It sometimes feels that this program is viewed as a satellite pathway within the organization, and not fully part of GSOSW.

Seeing the girls you serve accomplishing their goals and the sense of pride and empowerment it brings to them. They become true leaders. Their smiles and glistening eyes will let you know the importance your role has had in their lives and their mothers.
Pros
flexible time. enriching experience.
Cons
fast employee turn around. low salaries.