Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington

• Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Making a difference.

Girl Scouts of Oregon and SW Washington is a great place for people who enjoy a collaborative work environment, creative problem-solving, and giving great customer service. The best part of the job is supporting the volunteers who bring girl scouting experiences to life for girls across our region. The most challenging thing is having enough time to get it all done.

A great workplace for inspiration & growth

The best part of this work is seeing how incredible, curious, and enthusiastic the girls are, seeing family bonds strengthen, and being inspired to be the person you needed when you were younger. Girl Scouts is truly a great growth opportunity.

Girl Scouts is a great place to work. You're not going to get rich, but it's non-profit work so that's understandable. The leadership culture isn't the best, but it's slowly changing, and the overall team dynamic is excellent.

Dynamic and positive environment, but communication and inefficiency is challenging

GSOSW is a busy place, with a lot of team effort to deliver its mission. Everyone deeply cares about the membership and wants to help them be successful and satisfied. The culture is creative, intelligent, flexible, and service-oriented, but the general organization lacks efficiency in their processes and systems and often reinvents the wheel. Regular duties often take a back seat to various trainings, so backlog happens that results in job overload. Each department is unique and there is often poor communication among them. Management is very approachable. Decisions can take an unreasonably long time.

A great place for self-starters with strong mission-driven motivation!

It is wonderful to work in service of the Girl Scout mission every day. GSOSW is a great place for self-starters with strong mission-driven motivation. Very generous benefits, flexible hours and WFH options (job dependent), and professional development opportunities. There are definitely challenges (some departmental silos, managerial inconsistencies, loose strategic plan), but this is an exciting time to work for Girl Scouts with new programs, an energized commitment to equity, and opportunities for organizational growth.

Creating Future Leaders

Work at Girl Scouts OSW is often very seasonal. We recruit in the fall, help support the Cookie Program in the winter, lots of STEM and outdoor programming in the spring and summer and then start all over! Many of us say it takes a whole year to learn your job because of this. This can be difficult in the beginning, but if you prefer to have your work ever changing it is an advantage. Through COVID I have felt very thankful to work at GSOSW and believe that the trust and flexibility that we have built will live well beyond the end of COVID. There are lots of opportunities for personal professional development but there is very little room to move up within the organization. While frustrating at times, raises are consistently given and the cap for each job category continues to rise so you are never really "stuck" in your position. The absolute best part of working for Girl Scouts is the difference you can make for the girls in Oregon and Southwest Washington. The frustrations of the day to day work is always washed away when you see a Girl Scout Daisy earn her first petal or badge, or watch an Ambassador travel across the world or earn her Gold Award. We truly are helping create future leaders.

People of Passion

Its amazing working somewhere where everyone is moving towards the same common goal, no-one has their own agenda, and everyone is just genuinely rooting for each other. Everyone working here is passionate about the mission and has a strong sense of purpose and motivation. I love it. The one downside is compensation, the pay is fairly low. But, on the bright side you have decent health insurance, vacation days, and often a fairly flexible work schedule.

It is a fairly place to work

The best part of the is the flexible work hours and friendly co -workers, managers. My job is typically a routine periodically so it can be prepared. I can learn new thing from the job and from co-workers It is a friendly work environment It provides great benefits The hardest part is the pressure of meeting deadlines.

Supportive Environment

Good team environment and cross-department interaction and support. You'll have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and improve existing skills or develop new skills.

Opportunity for growth

So many opportunities are available within the organization, there is a reason why you will routinely meet someone that has been working there for over 20 years.

Not the worst place to work but could be better

My department works primarily with volunteers. A lot of training, manual writing, weekly communications to volunteers. The hardest part of the job is not having enough staff to implement quality programming. The best part of my job is serving volunteers and being an advocate for them. The workplace culture is interesting. We are a good mix of people but definitely need more POC. Management is typical.

Empowering but bureaucratic

The job is equal parts fulfilling and frustrating--it is so empowering and fun to work with young girls and play a direct part in their development, but the bureaucracy of working in a nonprofit and not having the flexibility to provide what volunteers are demanding is disheartening. The work I do is tedious and often isn't the most exciting, but the workplace makes it worthwhile--I enjoy the company of my coworkers and the atmosphere of both the physical and virtual office space. I do not get many benefits as a part time employee, but the perks I have received have been worthwhile. All in all, I am proud of my organization despite its shortcomings and I am thankful to be part of it!

Girl Scouts is a great place to work!

Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. Working at Girl Scouts means you're a part of building up girls and helping them empower themselves. Girl Scouts is a great place to work! We're focused on building equity and inclusion in all aspects of our work.

Great Community

Staff as a whole are happy to be at work, and seem to genuinely enjoy what they do in terms of serving the community and company. Very friendly, supportive, and nice overall.

Empowering Girls through Life Experiences

Great organization that has a clear and focused mission to encourage and empower girls through life experience, encouragement & adventure. Co-workers are kind and respectful. It's a non-profit so compensation is made up for with PTO and other benefits but I think it could be better. Overall GS a great place to work.

Purpose and meaning

Girl Scouts provides a strong sense of purpose and meaning and there is a lot of passion and talent throughout the organization. This organization is very flexible, collaborative and inspiring. To improve the experience of girls and to make the world a better place it does take a lot of hard work and commitment. If that sounds like you come aboard

Great organization, but poor leadership.

I absolutely love Girl Scouts and believe in everything we do. If it were not for that however, I would have quit a long time ago. The leadership of GSOSW (just our council, not Girl Scouts of the USA) continually makes poor decisions and there is a severe lack of direction and trust. The current executive team is both clueless and borderline abusive, not to mention overpaid while the rest of us are underpaid. They don't understand what we do, why we do it, or how to help, let alone how to best serve our volunteers, which should be our #1 priority. That being said, the lower-level peer community is very fun and supportive. Most of us are passionate about our work and the mission, and that's what keeps those of us who happen to have great managers around. Overall though, unless you have experience in Girl Scouting and a strong commitment to our values, I would not recommend working for Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington.

Great place to work!

The work I'm doing is fulfilling and I appreciate the organization's commitment to DEIA training and learning. Environment feels inclusive and supportive.

Not the best job

If you’re hoping to work in the Membership department, think again. The job is 100% outside sales, and let me tell you, it’s one of the most draining jobs I’ve ever had. After you’ve contacted the same company 5 times about “hosting an event” or “promoting our mission”, people just hang up on you. The management is terrible, they all have their own agenda and don’t tell anyone what’s going on, then get upset when you don’t meet your KPIs. They also don’t seem to understand that people have lives outside of GS, and when a volunteer can’t give every single minute of their time to us, then “they’ve lost their why and we should find a replacement”. Plus, the lower level workers are completely overworked. I’ve seen the Data team work 60-70 how weeks because there’s too much to do and they refuse to hire another person. The finance department has 1 person responsible for every troop in the state, so how are they supposed to keep track of everything? They don’t pay anyone but the department heads and CEOs nearly enough to justify the bull.

Pros

Flexible schedule, great mission concept

Cons

Terrible management, poor communication, low salary, no respect

Lots of Fun

I loved my time at GSOSW! The culture is positive and engaged and they really appreciated everyone's hard work. There were weekly staff meetings in which all office locations would call in so we could all discuss things together. Kudos shared at staff meetings which honored individuals for their work. Some staff meetings at camp! Lots of opportunities to get engaged in the local community and have fun. My manager was bad and micro managed us to the point of inefficiency, but has since moved on from the organization.

Pros

Great colleagues, camp, fun activities

Cons

Micromanagement, lack of trust

Where working hard feels worth it

This was the most demanding and most rewarding job I have had. I did not know that I would be any good at it, but I gained a lot of self confidence through it. As a unit counselor you lead and supervise a group of kids throughout their activities at camp. Since you sleep in the unit, you remain "on call" and are responsible for them excepting 2 hours of break time a day. Success is heavily dependent on the attitude and effort you're able/willing to give. This was also the only job where I have made friends, since maintaining good rapport with the staff is necessary in such a social environment. My fellow counselors and ad staff were very supportive of me as a new staff member and stepped in wherever their help was needed. The main disadvantages are in life balance/benefits. Pay for new staff is low, though housing and food is provided during the contract. During camp, you are also very disconnected to the outside world, as devices have little service and may not be used near campers. Giving children a great experience at camp was the mission, and I felt highly responsible for it. When it's achieved, the staff are proud of themselves and one another. That, along with the fact GSOSW reliably rehires, is why I plan on returning for summers to come.

Pros

Free housing and food, great staff culture, job security/rehiring, positive community

Cons

Demanding schedule, physically taxing, full commitment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington Reviews by Location

• Girl Scouts of Oregon & SW Washington
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?