Girl Scouts of the USA

United States1,686 reviews

Found 1,686 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,701 reviews
girltroopcampvolunteercookycouncilgsusacookie

Loved volunteering at Girl Scout camp

It was great getting to know the girls and I worked with units and centers at the camp. I volunteered for a few different years and had alot of fun. We had groups of 15 or so girls who we would escort through the centers and entertain in between. The hardest part of this was the heat.

Pros

People

Cons

Hot

Fun

Lots of creative control. The opportunity to mentor and work with the girl is priceless. Not the best pay but it’s very rare to find a job you look forward to going to. I loved cookie season.

Girl Scouts of the USA insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Membership Team Review

Position Description and Expectations-When I was hired at GSCI, I was told that the MEC would work 2-3 evenings per week and one weekend per month. In this role, it became the expectations to host 3-4+ recruitment event per week along with a minimum of two weekends. -I was also told during the hiring process that this position has a high turnover rate due to it being an introductory level position. From my experience; however, I feel that turnover is primarily related to employee burnout and being overworked. This position was advertised as overtime exempt, working approximately 36 hours per week. In my role, I routinely worked over 40 hours per week .It also says a LOT about a company when the employee turnover rate is over 60%. The corporate culture is extremely toxic. Communication between departments does not exist and the rumor mill is constantly running. -One of the biggest complaints I heard from customers and members is lack of support from council. I personally know, due to conversations during renewal calls, that Scout parents and leaders are choosing not to return and renew memberships with Girls Scouts due to the lack of support from Membership and council. -It was my impression upon hiring that this position is a recruitment job, but overall our goal is to serve our members. The pressure to have numbers met and go out and register new girls, leaders, and start new troops heavily outweighs the emphasis of supporting existing members. -From previous experience with recruiting, I know that when existing members -

Overall mission is positive

Work life balance is nearly non-existent a typical day at work could be very smooth and uplifting helping volunteers and parents or bogged down in so much work.management is concerned about the bottom line and changed since the previous CEO left workplace culture is divisive and not inclusive.the hardest part of the job, loving what Girl Scouts stands for but having difficulty looking past shadiness in top management.the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the growth in girls and volunteers.

Pros

Benefits, building relationships with volunteers and girls

Cons

No work/life balance, work overload

What is the best part of working at the company?Mission driven organization.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Lack of organized on-boarding, training and support.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Disorganized and stressful.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Meetings, hunting for resources, and more meetings.

Not great work life balance but I like the benefits and the work I did. Staff was friendly. Made good friends, helped improve community involvement which is priceless

I loved this group!

It was the highlight of my life! I loved my troop leader and all of the girls in my troop. It felt like a real sisterhood and we got along swimmingly. We accomplished so much together as a group and I'll never forget it.

Pros

Great troop leader, fun activities, great community projects/efforts, sweet friends, cute mini treats.

Cons

Mini drama between girls.

Times have changed and the organization is struggling to keep up.

Girl Scouts of the USA is an iconic brand with an incredible mission to serve girls. I worked there for many many years.Quite honestly, by the time I left the organization it was obvious that they are struggling to maintain relevancy, as indicated by decades long membership declines supported by a National Board that does not appear to place much emphasis on strategies to increase membership. By the time I left, the culture had changed significantly, to the point where it really wasn't a happy place to work for many. There have been numerous reductions in force, which have led to a sense that the organization expects its workers to be loyal, but has no commitment to being loyal to its employees in return.There seems to be significant turnover in senior management, and they constantly struggle to balance declining revenues with increased organizational priority demands.As a new hire, you will feel like your contribution is important and you and your work is valued. While the organization talks about advancement opportunities, they tend to hire from outside the organization more frequently than they promote from within. You will spend a lot of your time in cross-functional meetings, with little time left to actually do your work. You may experience more and more work being put on your plate with little or no change to your compensation.At some point, you may start to ask yourself when the next reduction in force will happen, and if you will be one of the casualties.

Run don't walk

One of the worst jobs due to the staff. Catty, immature women and management who was right in the drama. It's sad when the children are more mature than staff

Productive and fulfilling place to work

This job gives each individual the opportunities to add their own modern twists to programs we facilitate for our Girl Scouts. The entire focus of our company is to empower young girls and create an all inclusive environment.

What is the best part of working at the company?Great people very supportive and fun outdoor job.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Lots of groups in outdoor settingWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Great people and fun timesWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Meet children in parking lot getting off buses, initial whole camp gathering, groups time or prep lessons, outdoor group work, lunch with peers, more outdoor activities end in large group then join children at parking lot for going home on buses.

Started off fun

When I first started my management team was awesome! They trained me well with what my job title consisted of. New management caused major issues. I was expected to fill multiple positions and train others without more pay. I was thrown under the bus for situations out of my control. The new management was not familiar with what my job was or how to do it. She was sneaky and conniving and used me in every way possible while stabbing me in the back.

Great place to work and make a differerence in the lives of our future leaders.

Great community of committed individuals. It is a joy to come in and work together on different projects. There are opportunities to advance to greater challenges.

Pros

Generous time off. Beautiful place to work and positive, motivated co-workers.

Cons

It takes a little while to be invested in the retirement plan, but this is a place where you would want to stay.

What is the best part of working at the company?Got to experience a new locationWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Favoritism. And the counselors are disrespectful What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Stressful and very clingy What is a typical day like for you at the company?A typical day would start with individuals comparing others in the line of work. This company doesn’t know how to work as a team anymore

To them, everyone is easily replaceable.

I never felt respected or appreciated for how much work I did, and more was always being added to my plate. Management sees all employees as replaceable. It's a terrible environment to try to thrive in.

What is the best part of working at the company?I get to work with other girls and help little ones enjoy themselves and make them want to continue going to Girl Scouts.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The expectations of knowing everything.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Kind, honest, respectful, and caring.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Arts & Crafts and quiet work time.

kids were great

Being a camp counselor, I got to work with kids all summer. A lot of the kids were amazing. A lot of them have said I was a favorite counselor just buy purely spending time with them and making sure they feel welcomed in the camp environment. It was some of the co-counselors who did not make the camp experience that fun for me.

You have to love what you're doing

This is a job where you really have to love it. It's a fantastic organization for the girls, but is as employees are expected to work miracles and are repremanded when there's not enough finished in a day.

Great organization

With all the leadership changes we’ve finally found the right group . The turnover time is high due to lack of employees but the organization is making a comeback. I love this company

Fun and can be burnout too

You have a lot of free time. But be ready you can work at any time of the day or night as well. If you enjoy sells, this is a great job for you Staff is very nice.

poorly managed organization

zero job growth, poor management, low pay, incompetence is encouraged and rewarded, no computer skills necessary, good place to work if you like doing bare minimum and have lots of excuses why you cant do the job you’re hired to do

Pros

no weekends

Cons

see review

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Girl Scouts of the USA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Girl Scouts of the USA with

• Girl Scouts of the USA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?