Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews

Found 1,257 reviews matching the search See all 1,270 reviews
Kids were lots of fun
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Wasilla, AKFebruary 13, 2019
Planned and cooked three meals per day for staff and attendees. also prepared meals packed for overnight off sight camping. Washed dishes. Interacted with attendees.
Pros
Kids
Cons
living conditions
not recommended
Troop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYFebruary 9, 2019
This is a work place that fires you without telling you why and does not answer your questions when you are let go. They just come in and tell you to pack your things and go. I worked there for 2 years and everyday I worked I felt like it was going to be my last. very stressful.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
terrible people
Intern summary
Product Program Team Member (Former Employee) –  Grandview, OHFebruary 9, 2019
Learned a lot of good skills to take on with me after graduation. Very fast paced work, learned alot of different parts of the company. It was great to see what goes on behind the scenes.
Pros
Team building
Fun Place to work
Unit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Allen, WAFebruary 8, 2019
A typical day at work starts between 6:30 and 7:00 am and goes until 8:30 to 10:00 pm depending on the age of your campers and location in camp. You get campers ready for the whole day, and get to flag ceremony at 8:15 am. Throughout the day you ensure the safety and comfort of your campers and keep your group on schedule. This can mean walking up to 10 miles in a day.

I learned more about working with children and improved my team building and communication skills.

The management was wonderful and made sure all the staff had the resources they needed. They also made sure to show appreciation to staff during challenging weeks.

The most difficult part of the job is the need to be constantly "on," because you are working with children. Your responsibility is to ensure their safety at all times, just like being a parent.

The best parts of the job were the community formed with other staff members and working with children. Though some groups had more challenges than others each group was rewarding. Kids really do say the darnedest things.
Pros
Beautiful outdoors, Some training provided, rewarding experience
Cons
long daily hours, limited cell reception
Summer Camp Kateri Counselor
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Camp KateriFebruary 8, 2019
It was somewhat low pay for a lot of work. Though part of your pay while working at Kateri was deducted for food and lodging. It's very fast paced and there's likely new management for the new season coming in so there's some uncertainty on how the camp will be run. You and the other counselors *need* to get along or else things will quickly fall apart. Kateri is an overnight week long camp in the woods with very little phone service, if you don't like your co-workers, things can turn sour and tense which poses a negative influence on the girls. For people who work well with others and are patient and kind but not a doormat with children, this could be a very good and fulfilling job for you, especially if you like the outdoors. You are also given the open to take a free class to be certified in CPR, AED, Lifeguarding, and waterfront kayak and canoeing which can be applied elsewhere in life. In addition, if you're a good friendship fit with your co-counselors, you will have long lasting friends. Days are long and hard with only 2 hour breaks during the day (though you get your own cabin/room with the other counselors at night), but it could be a fulfilling job for you if it seems like a good fit.
Awful management
Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 5, 2019
I have never been so u appreciated at a job more than I was here at a Girl Scouts. The regional manager is a terrible micromanager and bully. She is not family oriented and if your child is in the hospital for a week, all she is concerned about is her goals for the month. I would NOT recommend this job for anyone.
Would not recommend
Admin (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 4, 2019
Tough place to work. Huge divide between departments, exec and staff, staff and volunteers. Low compensation with long hours. No workplace flexibility to compensate for unbearable office culture.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Poor work culture
Community
Intern (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILFebruary 4, 2019
We were involved in a lot of community work. It technically was not a job, we did not get paid. We had a meeting every week to talk about upcoming events and planning later events.
Great mission, Great work
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAFebruary 1, 2019
This is an organization with a great mission and it's a great place to work if you want to help make the world a better place. Check out the website at www.girlscouts.org for more information.
Family friendly and warm
Grant Writer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 1, 2019
I greatly enjoyed my time at the Girl Scouts. The work culture was warm and friendly. We celebrated employees regularly and had social events. The time off was fantastic, and a huge perk of the job! It was easy and flexible to move work around to accomodate schedules. For my colleagues who had young children or were caretaking, this made the job an excellent fit for the demands of their personal lives. Girl Scouts strives to compensate employees as best as possible, and is constrained in the same way as many nonprofits are. What it can't provide in salary it makes up for in benefits, time off, and flexibility.
Pros
flexibility and time off
Cons
low salaries
Broken Culture - No End in Sight
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 30, 2019
Girl Scouts of Utah was a cool organization to work for at first - then you get burnt out. the salaries are not ideal, but that’s not a suprise ( it is a non profit) The surprise was the incredibly toxic environment. They removed the CEO but too little too late. The top management constantly asked for input on improving the culture but always came to the conclusion that there was nothing they could do to make anyone happier. Employees wanted autonomy both in terms of their work (ie. No micromanaging, which was everywhere!!) and flexible work schedules. Apparently those are both too difficult to accomplish. They flaunt their “great benefits” but they’re not that impressive. It was okay compared to other npos and terrible compared to for profit companies. The turnover rate was over 50% by the time I left and I’m glad I got out when I did, there is no end in sight. They will continue burning through new employees and then say that there is nothing they could have done.
Pros
Positive mission
Cons
Disconnect between management and staff, expectation of working over 40 hours a week, lack of scheduling flexibility
Leader Experience
Troop Leader (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 30, 2019
There is much to provide to a group of eager girls with eyes wide open to the world. GSEP assists in providing valuable resources and back up enable to support such groups.
Fun cooperative environment
Counsler (Former Employee) –  Cicero, NY 13039January 28, 2019
Working as a summer councilor was fun and confidence building, although at times stressful. Everyone has to work together to create a safe and conducive environment for the girls to learn and grow.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pleasantville, NYJanuary 27, 2019
I am glad I worked at Girl Scouts. We had weekly meetings to discuss the company's activities and see what branch or location was doing well. We also discussed projects with all location via conference calls and took notes. often we stated our opinion and gave solutions.
Pros
Effective Communication
Cons
Too many gossips
Horrible place to work/volunteer.
Troop Leader (Former Employee) –  Lawton, MIJanuary 25, 2019
When you hear from someone while filing a complaint against a "leader" for bullying and inappropriate behaviors that you should just remove yourself and your daughter from the program instead of them actually addressing and dealing with the bully, there's a huge issue. I was actually yelled at because I wouldn't just take the abuse sitting down. Besides that, it's absolutely ridiculous that they use child labor to peddle their cookies. Most of the money that you pay for a $5.00 box of cookies goes directly to the region. Only about .75 goes back to that girl's troop. Cookie sales is how they pay the salaries of all those "workers" they have.
Pros
Cons
Literally everything.
Nice environment
cookie sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 23, 2019
Nice people to work with who truly help to encourage young women to learn and strive to become better adults. They have a great mission and lots of support.
Friendly as you would think
Administrative Assistant-Intern (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 18, 2019
My internship at this place was absolutely amazing. There were projects to do daily. Along with taking care of everyone there, also maintaining the buildings were awesome as well.
Great place to work, great people to be around
JUNIOR UNIT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 17, 2019
I was a camp counselor during one of the summer camps, and it was a great environment to be in. All of my coworkers enjoyed working with the girls, and it felt amazing to be able to inspire young girls, even if I was only with them for a week at a time.
Pros
Food and a place to live for the summer were provided
Cons
Extremely hot and not enough breaks
Non-Profit Feedback
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cicero, NYJanuary 17, 2019
I enjoyed my time at the GirlScoutsNYPENN Pathways but I was terminated without receiving any reason. The office culture was relaxed and we were often rewarded with incentives for a job well done and received a two week vacation paid during the christmas holiday.
Health Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wakeman, OHJanuary 16, 2019
Great place to work! The people were great to work with, a very positive environment. They give you all the tools you need to succeed. I will be returning this summer to work their again