Gladstone Institutes

Gladstone Institutes Employee Reviews

United States10 reviews
Great place to work for scientists and post docs. Nice benefits and perks even though the cost of living is high here in the bay area. Worked in administrative, manager wasn't really there a lot.
Pros
Nice pay and benefits
Cons
Upper management didn't appear as much
There is a lot of individual work done during this internship - which is great, except that it felt like entirely a job when the title was internship. Nearly no guidance from mentors, only the occasional checkup. It allows you the autonomy to work on projects on your own.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Commute, Minimum wage
Gladstone Institute is UCSF affiliated Biomedical research institute with great scientific investigators. The institute conduct scientific seminars from outside gladstone and within scientists.
I learned a lot working here and got experience a lot of different ways to work with people. I learned a lot about different types of management working here which happened to be good and bad. I really enjoyed this job.
Gladstone was a great learning experience. For the most part the culture was one which allowed me as a CTO to develop professionally in the pursuit of supporting science and medicine. I was able to take my ideas and solutions to unique problems and successfully implement them. Also I was able to take my military training and experience and integrate it seamlessly into the development of their mission. A challenging yet fulfilling place to work. It is great working for an organization dedicated to the well being of others.
Pros
Great sense of helping others
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
the Gladstone Institutes is a great foundation, the research is outstanding, the under management - and staff is a great group of people, the most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that what I was doing as a director was helping save and better lives.
Pros
The new facilities team
Cons
the choices upper manigment makes are questionable
A culture of favoritism and nepotism exists in this Institute. There is a clear hierarchy with principle investigators at the top followed by post doc fellows, then graduate students. Research technicians, admin professionals, and other staff are considered dispensable. There is very little professional development and opportunities for advancement for technicians and administrators. If you decide to work at the Gladstone Institutes, learn what you can and move on quickly.
Pros
Free coffee.
Cons
Poor work culture.
Typical day involves browsing literature, designing and executing experiments, interpreting and presenting results
Learned how to manage one's own research and how to provide and receive active feedback during lab meetings

Friendly and collaborative coworkers who take active interest in one another's work

Hardest is bouncing back from failed/uninformative experiments, most enjoyable is accomplishment and exchanging ideas
Pros
Free coffee, incredible location
Cons
No compensation (although as a visiting student it wasn't expected)
Gladstone is doing incredible research using basic science. It is an honor to work at a company so well respected and innovative. All departments work cooperatively and everyone was part of a team. Not only was I able to create successful events but I met very influential people and learned about scientific discoveries.
Pros
Of course after an event there was always leftover food.
I worked in the office environment and I totally disliked it. There is a lot of favoritism - if you're one of the ones that are liked, you're in. If not, you'll find everything goes uphill.

Admin is confined to the ground floor. The rest of the floors are dedicated to scientists and research. The ground floor isn't laid out efficiently and you'll find yourself doing a lot of walking - to the copy machine (there's only one), to someone's office. The assistants are in a cubicle area far from the exec offices, which made for a lot of steps (difficult in heels!).

They have antiquated copy machines. The IT department is good, again if you're well-liked - but customer service is not high on their priority list and you will have to wait for everything.

The general attitude in the exec area is stuffy, conservative, and very political. The company relies a lot on philanthropy, so they are always having prospective donors in for meetings.

If you're a scientist, you're treated like a god. Scientists can do no wrong.

G&A staff are expected to work and work and work. Not very good work/life balance.

There is no cafeteria, which is surprising because it's a big building. You have to go across the street to one of the other buildings to their cafes. Nice, but expensive and time-consuming.

Definitely not recommended for G&A staff.
Pros
Nice building, great area. Good benefits.
Cons
Stuffy, conservative atmosphere and mind-set. G&A are made to feel like slaves rowing the ship.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Gladstone Institutes?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gladstone Institutes. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2