Glendale Adventist Medical Center

Glendale Adventist Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States259 reviews

glendalegamchospitalpatientnursegradunitmedical

great and fun place

12hr/day night shift Orthopedics great coworkers tough working nights but enjoyed 4days off

Pros

birthday lunch coupons

Cons

night shift

its an ok place

The pay was ok but there is favoritism and some nursing assistant thats working there for awhile are lazy. They usually maxed out the ratio for nursesz

Glendale Adventist Medical Center insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

What is the best part of working at the company?Being away from the office out in the field working in communities helping people. Our offices were off site not at the hospital location.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The department manager. Never a day went by when somebody didn't express the pain she inflicted on them. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?An email went forward that while walking around you should have eye contact and great ppeopke in hallways, patients and or employees. Have a pleasant look. It kind of work. I feel it was a message that needed to be repeated often to remind the employees. Greet people and show that love they r always speaking of.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Most days in the field working in the community. Generating or following leads to inform educate the community on specific topics.

Poor Environment

A lot of mean spirited regular staff who huddle together to chat and push their unwanted work on others, i.e. float pool. All facilities have a lack of techs/nurse assistants. I thought it was just me but they are constantly hiring, unable to keep staff or management.Pay is good but after time you become way too unhappy with the work environment.It took too long to realize I deserve better.

Burnt out

Low staffing became the norm, yet expectations were still very high. Many staff experiencing burnout without any way of speaking out to be heard. The patient/family is always right, no matter how terribly you have been treated. The insurance changed and now its hard to find providers outside of the network. At a time of depression and high stress working with Covid patients during a pandemic, mental health access was so necessary yet practically non-existent. There are good people here. Hard workers with big hearts, but they deserve more than what they are getting. Cafeteria is expensive for not that great of food (except on sushi days). Even with an employee “discount”, its still a lot.

Pros

Cons

Health benefits not good anymore, staffing terrible.

Great place to start

A good starting hospital for new grad nurses to learn and expand knowledge and skills. Offers a new grad program. Variety of units to get experience.

Started off well but changed

The people as far as the employees make this place what it is. The administration does not care about their staff and their well being. They often cut corners to save a dollar leaving the employees to do the same job but not with the best tools. The raises are minimal. If you work OT, this place is notorious for not paying you on time. They will pay you 2 or 3 checks later. The recently closed down a unit that just hired a lot of people. The reasoning behind it doesn’t make sense but its to save a buck im assuming. If the administration cared about their staff and patients more, this place would be great

What is the best part of working at the company?working at psych unit was the worst experience ever.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?in the psych unit the RN don't help and they see us CNA like trash like we are nothing. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?horrible. no team work all the nurses there actually need help themselves psychologically.What is a typical day like for you at the company?12hrs shift. short staff and practically u would do everything on your own.

Great place to start

I am thankful for AHGL for giving me the opportunity to start off my nursing career. It is a great place to start as a new grad, given that you get a qualified preceptor who cares to teach you all aspects of the job and not just have you complete tasks to soothe their workload. But this hospital has a high turn over rate for their nurses as they are not paid fairly for the amount of work that is expected of them. I had to take on a second job just to make ends meet. A registered nurse should not feel this way. And management doesn’t care. Their new grads start our w the same pay rate as advanced nurses. They have absolutely NO incentive to keep their experienced nurses and then wonder why they leave.

Pros

Great for new grads, friendly, supportive, family oriented

Cons

Not a fair pay, not incentive to advance, just do tasks and leave.

Poor orientation/training!!!!

If you are a new grad and looking for quality training you should run away from this hospital!!! In the beginning they are promising you very well orientation or training with friendly and patient preceptors but that’s not what you’ll see once you are on the floor with your preceptor, who are expecting you to know everything from day 1🙄 they’re very irritated when you ask them a question, as if they’re forced to teach you. You might hear them saying unnecessary comments such as “you should know this or that by now” which could be your first week only lol. Their goal is to put you alone with multiple patients right away. Managers are useless and careless. Both managers and coworkers are very discouraging, if you’re looking for quality experience, training and healthful teamwork you are in the wrong hospital!!

Cons

Toxic environment and poor orientation!

Worked here for only a few months

I did an assignment on the postpartum unit as a travel nurse and really enjoyed the people and management seemed nice. Even though I was only assigned here for 12 weeks I felt welcomed. I would work here again if given the opportunity.

Rn

Old facility. Low pay. Overworked. No sitters. High acuity of patients. High turn over of nurses. Alot of new grad nurses. Could float to all different tele units. (Tele nurse). Nurses had too take vitals.

Couldn't wait to keave

Worked as a CNA on a tele floor. CNAs, and RNs even, are significantly underpaid. We would have two CNAs per night for a unit with 30 beds. It was incredibly unsafe, pts would be left all night and barely rounded on if a good RN/CNA wasn't assigned to them. Not much upward growth, there was either extremely high turnover, or "lifers" that were comfortable with their shift and doing the bare minimum.

Pros

Scrub reimbursement

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, dangerous conditions. Night shift differential for CNAs was a laughable $1

All the unit mngrs aregreat. Everything youneed as anurse isavailable to youfrom Pt transports toPharm, centralsupply, FastMRIs,X-rays, CT&labs

It’s a good learning hospitals for all the new grads out there. Pay is a little low compared to market. It’s a big hospital, 325+ beds. Been here a long time. Management has changed a lot I feel they’re no longer Adventists and focus more on numbers instead of its staff. Non unionized but it’s ok most of the time. MDs like to be babied most of them don’t put their orders nor call their own consults. But since I’m an old timer I still love them don’t get me wrong.

Pros

Good learning hospital. Stroke and Cardiac Center.

Cons

Pay raises are very low compared to market. Uppper management does not focus on staff

Management looks the other way

This was a place that I used to love coming to work to but in recent years the management has poorly declined. They don’t listen to their staffs needs. They drown us. They’re more worried about their scores than the well-being of their nurses. Management is clueless on what their staff needs. If we give suggestions on how to improve the unit, they don’t bother to take any of it into consideration. This place will burn you out to the core. High turn over rate because of POOR USELESS MANAGEMENT!!

Do not recommend this hospital

I started out as a new grad however the environment was toxic and peers were not as helpful. The new grad program was not organized and highly lacking compared to other hospitals. Doctors do not put in their own orders and will make you do their jobs for them—making RNs put in their orders/discharge orders/med recon, not discussing lab results with patients and not updating patients with plan of care.

Coworkers are Amazing. Management needs help.

My coworkers were amazing. Always there to help. Unfortunately, management kept messing with my schedule and they pay wasn’t worth staying. Found a job where I make more money and better hours.

Pros

Amazing coworkers decent benefits

Cons

Management needs training

Horrible Management

I would give it 0 stars if I could. When I first started management was okay, however it progressively got worse. The managers are only looking out for themselves. The environment is like that as well. They also overload us with a lot of patients at the same time and yet they wonder why customer satisfaction is down. I would avoid this company at all costs. It’s an okay stepping stone but not long run.

Pros

Good place to start

Cons

Poor management, no free parking, bad health insurance

Rewarding work

Staff retention is something I look for in a job. Some staff had worked at GAMC for over 55 yrs, many over 30yrs. Progressive, teaching facility. Great place to work.

Good Organization, Horrible Management

Beginning of my career at AH Glendale, I loved my job. It gave me a sense of fulfillment, responsibility and I felt valued. After a few years, management changed and that went to scrambles. As much as you bring up things that are occurring in the department, either no one cares or pretends to care and continues to make changes damaging the environment of the team. This worsened during the beginning stages of the pandemic, where we were shown we were merely not valued. We were not provided the necessary sanitary items for the department, not given any sense of direction on what the department should do to contain any outbreak in other words we all prayed for a hail mary and hoped for the best. Departments would thrive if they paid attention to yearly reviews and did follow ups on directors, managers, supervisors to ensure they are also out performing themselves.

Pros

-Variety of shifts

Cons

- Rules seem to be made for employees but not directors

Worked as a Neonatal ICU Travel RN

Loved working, staff, the manager and providers were awesome. Definitely a great culture to work in. Everyone is friendly and worked as a team. I would work again in their Neonatal ICU if given the chance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Glendale Adventist Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits