Glendale Community College

Glendale Community College Employee Reviews

I enjoyed working here for the period my temporary position lasted. It was a lot of work but work i knew and enjoyed doing. My boss was nice and amicable but I didn't get to know him that much during my time there. The environment was busy but rhythmic. The hours were great! I got a lot of stuff done before classes began. My shift started early and ended early.
Glendale Community College is one of the best place to have permanent and temporary job. It is a good place, but you have to achieve to work there. I love my job. The worse is that is limited and temporary job.
I went for a certification and it was great! The fitness Specialist Certificate has not only great classes but also wonderful professors that run the program. I really learned a lot!
Great students and colleagues. Many enlightening campus events and nice, clean facilities. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to live off of adjunct wages alone.
I was hired as a temporary employee. I expected that after they saw what I could do, I would be hired permanently and maybe even get a promotion. Little did I know that temporary employees are ALWAYS temps and, once you max out your hours, you are laid off so they can hire another temp. I started in January. Then, the new fiscal year was July 1 so although I should have been let go, the clock started again so I continued on for another 6 months. I never became a permanent employee, even though the department was desperate for another staff member. This practice of constantly using temporary employees is terrible for the departments because they are constantly training and there's no constant presence for students. As soon as the staff and students get used to you and you know what you're doing, you're out, only to be replaced by a newbie. Look at their website. Virtually all the open positions are temporary--lots of them! This practice follows the letter of the law and it's good for their bottom line because they don't have to pay benefits, but, on the whole, it's a terrible practice. Not even the Vice Presidents have the power to change it. So sad. The staff was wonderful and I (and they) wished I could stay. But you reap what you sow. Think about it. Do temps work as hard as permanent employees? Do they invest with creative ideas to improve the services for students? I loved working with the students and I thought the staff was great, so I contributed my very best. But, I doubt that's the norm. And the whole college suffers when the college relies on temporary - more...
Pros
Amazing staff!
Cons
No benefits for temporary employees
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Thank you GCC that I had a good experience in that field working with students and teachers. That is a good area where you always learn and grow! Thank you again that I could get my Associated Science Degree there!
The Veterans Resource Center ensures that hundreds of veterans that attend Glendale Community College and access their benefits from the GI BILL. Being able to connect with other veterans and help them achieve their educational goals is fulfilling work.
Pros
Friendly environment, convenient with schedule
Cons
Lack of Parking
I loved working there, a lot of energy and joy to go around. Only spent around an hour and half or two to mentor. A good start for people wanting to get accustomed to a job-like feel and very rewarding in helping other students.
Pros
Free snacks, friendly group to be apart of, Rewarding experience to help new students
Just a simple Tutoring Job nothing bad or good. It was a contract work and not much. It was for the AIM program I participated from, and i helped students who are in the program for Computer Science related questions
I enjoy working at Glendale community college. It a workplace where you gan enlarge and grow within. It gives its employees opportunity to get more knowledge within the field they work.
If you look at GCC's website for employment opportunities, you will see that the vast majority of the open positions (90%+) are temporary positions. GCC likes to hire temporary workers and then, when they max out their allowable hours, they are laid off and replaced with another temporary worker. Why? So that GCC doesn't have to pay benefits. The hourly wage does not make up for the lack of benefits. I worked from January through June. I maxed out my hours but, because a new fiscal year begins on July 1, I was able to stay for another almost six months. By the time I left, I finally knew the job pretty well but then it was time to leave. Then the staff had to hire and train new workers. Very sad. If you are hired in a temporary position, just know that you will likely never be hired permanently. I wish I had known before I took the position. On the other hand, the people there are great! I loved serving the students and really enjoyed being there. It was sad to leave.
Pros
Great, collaborative environment
Cons
No benefits for temp workers and many are temp workers.
Everyday was a challenge, interesting and different, but that was the thing that made it fun and not like work. For the most part, the staff was friendly and supportive.
Pros
its was fun and not the same thing on a daily basis
Cons
it takes a few years to advance in your job.
A typical day consists of multitasking a lot. Answering the phone calls, and answering emails. I learn something new every day from my managers. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.
Pros
Choosing my hours.
Cons
No breaks.
Worked as a tutor, the school is very flexible for students. You only get paid per hour. there are no benefits. The process is a little unorganized and departments do not communicate with each other as they should
If i ever wanted to teach, i would do it at Glendale Community College. The students make every day a challenge and the faces on their face when a script that they wrote is being view by not only the other students but the community in a film festival. that was Priceless
Pros
No one day is the same
Cons
I tutor anatomy and physiology students which is very rewarding knowing you once took these classes and now you can help other students. One thing I don't like about this job is that the rate at which they pay you monthly. It takes a while for you to get your paycheck. One of the good things about working at your school is that they work with your class hours and you don't have to go off campus to work.
Pros
Convenience
Cons
Monthly Pay
My time at the bookstore was very nice. The other workers made it fun and easy during training, and made me feel like I was apart of the team right away.
Pros
Discounts on books
Interviewed students for program participation, determined eligibility, explained services Guided students through application and registration steps, using specialized software Answered phone inquiries, screened callers, took detailed messages Assisted staff and counselors with special events coordination
Pros
Enjoyable to work their
Cons
Temporary position
Relaxed atmosphere, helpful supervisors. I have really enjoyed my time as an instructor at GCC. The staff is very generous, and my fellow instructors are great.
The admin, faculty/staff are very nice and helpful. It's a very welcoming environment but the students are rather weak and need many accommodations. However, they really do want to work hard and succeed.
I learned a lot about using school enrollment program because everything is done on the computer. Not only that, I have been considered as the best customer service agant because of the positive vibes I give to people that are interested about my French accent which for some cases made them have a good day apparently (that is what they said). My teamwork has been improved and I am proud of that.
Pros
The experience is usefull
Cons
The pay iss too short for my effort