Glenmont Job Corps Employee Reviews

Pleasant atmosphere with opportunities for advancements/career growth.
On-Call Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYApril 10, 2018
It was a very Pleasant atmosphere to work in with opportunities for advancement/career growth. Flexible schedules and incentives for GOOD job performance.
high stress, very unorganized, youth were very needed, nice staff for the most part, Exec was a good man with a strong commitment to the sudents
Peer Leadership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, N.Y.November 29, 2017
Very busy environment. to often conflicting directions were given to students. They were very manipulative but could be reached if the effort was made.
Pros
Overall, staff were supportive. Good people.
Cons
Upper magnt didnt know enough about what was going on and always had an opinion- to often wrong!
it's ok
Prep Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYOctober 25, 2017
it's OK just need realize why you went there in the first place.
and to stay motivated and focus on yourself and don't get involve with peoples drama
Not a great place for families
Management Level Employss (Current Employee) –  Glenmont, NY 12077October 4, 2017
Recent changes in the benefits have resulted in no coverage for spouse. In addition tuition assistance was removed. You're working in a non-profit environment for a for-profit company.
Worst employment experience in my lifetime
Dormitory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYJuly 6, 2017
Management complaining about statistics. Meetings that consume the day then you are asked to manage your dormitory of more than 75 boys and 3 staff. The moral was low for the direct staff while management sat in their offices and complained.
Cons
Poor people skills of management
Small school
Admission Counselor/Residential Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2017
I am honest to be a role model for some of our resident. The young adult have a lot to learn about life, and if I can help them why not. We have so many young adult that needs GED or HSD to pertain a job.
glenmont have they own shop with different tools
facility maintenace (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYJune 13, 2017
On typical day at work is we got some people who work hard and then you got the people who is lazy on the job . I Learn how to paint and use a table saw. the hardest part of the job dealing with some coworkers. the workplace culture is good everyone learn different things from each other.
culinary arts
Prep Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYJune 13, 2017
A typical day at work in the kitchen is ok and fun because you get to work with other students and the staff. The challenging part of the day sometimes is when you first start serving ,Like when you seve something that they don't like then that's when it gets a little bumpy but other than that its ok.
productive, but tiring day with a nice break
Automotive Technician Program Completer (Current Employee) –  Glenmont, NYMay 19, 2017
my typical work day was always hard. I get up very early but I still get the work done and do what I have to do. I learned great customer service skills, great problem solving and good time management. the hardest part of the job is after lunch break because I get very exhausted. however the most enjoyable part of the day is when its over.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
good learning expiereince
Facility Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYMay 15, 2017
learned my trade and life skills and Employability skills. A balance of different cultures and ethnicities we learn hands on crafts and also the paperwork aspect of it all
Terrible.
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYApril 27, 2017
This place is a joke. Save yourself. It's not worth your time or energy. Management is a joke. The expectations are unreal. The higher ups have the integrity of a snake. Good luck finding an answer to any questions you ask.
Professional
Security Internship (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYNovember 19, 2016
Excellent customer relations and communication skills. patrol principles including fire prevention, detection and response
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Minors
Good Trade School
Secuirty Guard (Former Employee) –  Glemont, NYNovember 8, 2016
Very professional. Earned Security License, 16 Hour, CPR-First Aid, OSHA-10. Excellent customer service and communication skills. patrol principles including fire prevention, detection and response.
Unrealistic Expectations
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYMay 19, 2016
This is supposed to be a "government funded program" but is managed by a Corporation who's focus is making money, instead of providing the skills necessary to the population it serves. Management is a joke! Management receives bonuses and then brag to other employees who actually do the work and get paid minimally. There are people (Directors & Managers) that are in positions that require a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree that barely have a GED. Don't waste your time applying because you will likely never receive a call back.
Cons
long days, always understaffed, unrealistic expectations
Terrible
Career Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glenmont, NYJanuary 6, 2016
I only lasted here for about a month, which must've been an accomplishment. I attended a few meetings and every week there were new staff members due to the high turnover rate.

Management is a joke, the only thing that matters to this company is the numbers. They do not care about the outcome of the students, they just need them to do phone surveys and just find any sort of job to keep the numbers favorable for the center.

The center itself, aside from the new dorms and rec center, is completely falling apart. The bathrooms are disgusting, and falling apart. There wasn't any soap in the bathroom closest to my office the entire time I worked there.

Also if you're a smoker then you're in luck, because the majority of the staff and students smoke. It's like walking through an ashtray most days, but if you're into that kind of thing then I guess it doesn't matter.

Also due to the high turnover rate, many of the more "senior" staff members are very unfriendly and dismissive of the newer staff. If you have a question, good luck at finding any help. There is so much backbiting and gossip, I wonder how any work gets done. There are some very toxic personalities.

There are some very wonderful students, and they are great to work with and get to know. However, there are a large amount of students that have no interest in the program, working or compliance with the rules. There are basically no consequences if the students do not comply. Every once in awhile they will be kicked off center, but that is very far and few because the center is numbers driven
  more... and only views those students as money making opportunity.

Honestly, just avoid this place. I know it might look good because the pay is pretty decent and they might offer you things like health insurance and no nights and weekends. Just run, because once you get there, you will want to.
Pros
You get a decent paycheck, but not enough to keep you there
Cons
Management, co-workers, students
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  Glenmont, NYDecember 21, 2015
The best part about this job is working with the youth and teaching them everything that they need to learn as they mature and become young adults.
Lots of chaos and confusion due to high staff turnover
Dormitory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYJuly 29, 2015
Lack professionalism at every level. Was not satisfied with the consistency towards staff or students. It lacked structure from the Center Director to the Social Dev. Director who only had a GED in a BA position.
I enjoyed working with the clients
Recreation Specialist/Driver (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYMay 8, 2015
My tour included ding activities with different clients. And, I learned to work and actively do enjoyable tasks with the clients. And, my co-workers were agreeable when sharing tasks to make the clients feel important. And, the hardest part of the job was not having enough tine to do different activities.
Pros
going to off campus events: basketball, football, rollerskating.
Cons
free meals at work.
A very rewarding work place that allows you to make a difference in a young adult's life
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glenmont, NYMarch 24, 2015
Glenmont Job Corps is a rewarding place to work. It teaches many kids job skills, self reliance as well as quality life skills. My joy comes from mentoring and interacting with many of the students who have not had the opportunity to have a positive adult presence in their lives.
Pros
Opportunity to assist young adults.
Cons
Staff is often micro managed.
Pretty much good for the most part
Server in the Cafeteria (Former Employee) –  Glenmont, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Well the day starts off by cleaning up the kitchen from breakfast like sweeping, mopping and wiping down the tables, then you prepare the salad and fruit station for lunch. Sometimes you prepare deli station for sandwiches and two people work that line for the deli. By cutting up tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and the meat to the deli counter for service. I learned how to set up stations and working with different people was a con but it was worth it. The most enjoyable part of the job was I got to learn more about the Culinary industry and how it works. Basically it had a lot to do with time management and how quickly you do the task to get it done right and enjoyable.
Pros
Great Learning expericence