Glenn O. Hawbaker, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Ehhh ok
Quarry Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Gap, PAJuly 21, 2018
Guys we’re great to work with. New equipment but the con is you practically live in it. Worked 7 12 hour days for months. Tried to apply recently to an open position and found out their saying I never gave a two week notice when I left 10 years ago. Which is completely false. All in all it’s a good place to work if ya watch your back.
Pros
Good guys. Good superintendent
Cons
Long hours. False statements
Good Old boy culture - staus quo is valued
Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 9, 2018
No real vision.

Cannot make corporate decisions. All 3 owners required for major and minor decisions, but they struggle to make decisions.

3 owners - but no one wants to be in charge

Employees do not get feedback ... ever!
Pros
Owners are "great people"
Cons
not sure what they want. No feedback to employees
Excellent
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Gap, PAApril 21, 2018
Excellentplace to work management is awesome very helpful during any type of family hardship and a great working atmosphere great group of guys team players
Cons
Wasn't there long enough to give proper review.
IT OFFICE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJanuary 20, 2018
Learned new software. Co-workers were friendly and helpful. It was good experience. Office environment was comfortable and dress was casual. Typically the day went fast because it was very busy.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Temporary job
Load out
Machine Operator II (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJanuary 6, 2018
A typical day we would load truck to ship out to the power plant
Along with providing Stone to other projects around the area to no alot of people in the construction field
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long ours
Very fun work environment and productive
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Gap, PASeptember 28, 2017
I worked in the pleasant gap quarry. Where i welding on a variety of stuff. I also got to travel to different places and weld. I also welded on the rock crusher.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  State College, PASeptember 14, 2017
Company took good care of you keep you busy.Paid time off according to length of service,No lay offs for the quality control part of the company,worked on asphalt designs during the winter.
Loved every part of my job
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  State College, PAAugust 24, 2017
Great and professional people, loved my job, quit because I adopted my daughter from Guatemala. Was offered to go back, however, I felt the need to stay home with my daughter
Pros
Hours, co-workers, loved it
Great workplace
Service Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Barkeyville, PAAugust 23, 2017
It's a great place to work from day one they treat you great. And try to accommodate your needs for you home and family life. Great pay lots of hours threw the summer.
Very stressful and to many high demands
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Gap, PAAugust 19, 2017
GOH started off as a great place to work. Everyone was great to work with. Over time the company got to demanding and way to much drama. Your in the click or your not. If your not your job was made very difficult
Pros
Okay benefits and good pay
Cons
To much drama.
good work environment
Operator Technician (Former Employee) –  State College, PAJuly 5, 2017
This is a good company with a nice benefit package. Overall they are family friendly with getting time off but there are times that it just doesn't work. Very good Family that owns GOH the Hawbakers are very down to earth good people that never forget where they came from.
Horrible place to work!! Run away as fast as you can!!!!
Operator (Current Employee) –  Barkeyville, PAMarch 20, 2017
I have to respond to the operator/ laborer. He's lying. You are treated with no respect, continually Lied about. Unless desperate or have to much time to quit, run away from here.
Pros
Prevailing wage
Cons
Brakes don't exist. Everything is a lie!!!!
Mid-level management is often terrible
Heavy Equipment Operator/Laborer /screed operator (Former Employee) –  Grove City PAMarch 14, 2017
They don't like to pay their guys per diem when they ship them out of town some of the guys that work there are great but the bad eggs in the bunch don't make it worth the while
Take the good with the bad
Flag person 1 (Former Employee) –  DuBois, PAMarch 4, 2017
I was hired as a flag person and that's what I did. No advancement. They give you plenty of hours, but little to no breaks(not even to urinate). If you flag you are considered disposable. Safety is not even considered in most situations. I would not have considered this job had it not been for prevailing wages. The base rate is $12.00 per hour capped at $13.00. Prevailing rate is set by PennDOT. You don't get fringe.
Pros
benefits, 401K, prevailing wage
Cons
no safety, sometimes they want you to work on a non rate job
Management is pretty good and benefits are great
Operator (Current Employee) –  Turtlepoint, PAOctober 13, 2016
Good place to work most of the time. Hard for advancement if your good at something and they would rather keep you in that position. All and all good people to work around and learn from.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
No home life for your kids sports
Operator / Laborer (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PASeptember 6, 2016
Lots of great guys to work with. Everyone is nice and get along well. They've given me a couple raises and aren't afraid to pay for the work you do. Haven't been here long, but it's a good place to work
Very hard, but well paying job
Bridge Laborer (Former Employee) –  State College, PA 16803August 30, 2016
I have a lot of respect for construction workers and manual labor workers after I did this job for a summer. A typical day was usually at least 10 hours. A lot of heavy lifting was involved along with other tasks such as jack-hammering. I did not get very much free time that summer, but did make a considerable amount of money compared to what other students make during a summer. This job made me appreciate my college schooling more as I found out how hard it was. I enjoyed many of the people I worked with. They all were pretty friendly and also understood that I did not have any construction experience, so most of them were patient with me. This would be a great job for someone who has an aptitude for manual labor.
productive and fun workplace
Equip.SupportPurchaser/MaintenanceCoordinatingAsst (Former Employee) –  Milan, PAMay 26, 2015
loved the people I worked with and the things i had to do to make it a very productive day. worked mostly with the shop superintendent to keep him updated on the work done in the shop and out in the field.
Pros
work environment
Cons
management- didn't understand
Great Place to work
Foreman/Operator (Former Employee) –  State College, PAFebruary 3, 2015
Glenn O Hawbaker was a great place to work....the employees were very competant and we all worked well together. I learned alot from Glenn O Hawbaker in regards to Fracking Industry.
Had excellent training
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Dubois,PAAugust 20, 2014
stressful work day . management was ok . gave safety meeting . dealing with age gaps and different skills